Despite the bad rep it has recieved here on the forums I will buy it. Why? I have a use for it. It's a dream for college students. I HATE luggig my 15+ inch asus g50v-t (something like that) around! Plus the money I have to spend on licenses now that my trial has expired for the Microsoft office suite is rediculous. I won't get an illegal copy because my laptop is too expensive to put possibly malicious software on it. Not to mention the extra weight in
    my backpack. It's a high performance gaming laptop (I wanted something top of the line for performance and a year ago this was it for the price).
    For $600 (will be getting the 3G/wii) it's worth it alone for the $10 iWork apps.
    I am a business student and this is why I am getting the ipad. The small size, weight, and applications will make it a dream for me to use at school. I will save on money for school by buying my books on it (I'm sure they will be smart enough to implement this) and I can take better notes in class as well as start project during class with the ease of use on it.
    People say it's a big iPhone... No, if you watched the full video you would know it's much more than that. This will be a great business tool FOR THOSE STUDENTS AND BUSINESS OWNERS THAT CAN AFFORD IT. It does have a niche market and I believe this is it. With a 10 hour video battery life it's fantastic. I can spend my whole day of school on it without having to worry about a charge, get home and still not have to plug it in.
    My laptop on high performance with overclock barelly lasts an hour.
    I'm really looking forward to this. The new calendar feature is awesome. I spent an hour and a half watching the release video and am very impressed.
    One thing that caught my eye however is on pages he loadedthere was an icon where a video player was supposed to be. So I hope that wasn't a flash video which would mean it won't have flash capabilities.
    So I would like ability to instal stuff on it like a
    mac/windows can rather than relying on the apps store for everything.
    If it can that would be great, if not I still have my laptop for home use.
    So my conclusion is that this device isn't aimed at all of the iPhone users. I don't see kids and those that use iPhone for gaming and music (primarily) going out to buy this thing. I believe they made it with the business user in mind and students (not all business users). Those who will take advantage of iWork, etc.
    If you're not buying it, dont like it, dont reply.
    02-05-10 02:39 PM
    I think there is a market for it and i can believe what it is doing to ebooks without even being out yet. I think i am on board as well though i have a macbook air so maybe not such a significant difference.
    I am thinking the second generation is the way to go but who knows.
    02-05-10 02:42 PM
    It's funny. Everytime people come out and say negative things about an Apple product, Apple comes back a year later and laughs right in their face when their stock goes through the roof and quarterly earnings set records. Right now, just can't count them guys out. They seem to know something that no one else does.
    02-05-10 02:46 PM
    If I hadn't just gotten a Mac Book Pro, I would definitely be in for the 64gb model. I would say with confidence that the next gen model will likely be the one I will purchase. Even though I still think it could use a stylus with handwriting recognition.
    02-05-10 02:56 PM
    Yeah I'm very excited about getting my hands on it!
    Just looks so sexy!
    02-05-10 10:08 PM
    I'll be getting one... just trying to figure out which version I'm getting. With or without 3G. If I was sure I could some how tether the iPad to my iPhone, I'd feel good about getting the Wifi only. Since it's iPhone OS, it would have to come in the form of a hack. More than likely, I'll be getting the 3G version.
    02-06-10 12:45 AM
    I too will be getting the ipad, just the 499.99 model will be enough for me , especially considering i can just teather via the iphone ( hacked ) to my ipad for internet ! cant beat that
    02-06-10 12:56 AM
    ....if I can throw in my naive, two cents.......

as a non-techie kinda gal, I am interested in the i-pad mostly for e-books. I haven't seen this video you guys are talking about so if you can point me in the right direction.....?

I will probably hold out til the 2d gen comes out....and to hear everyone's reviews
    02-06-10 11:07 AM
    Just a question...ebooks are a wonderful concept. I thought that staring at an lcd screen for excessive periods of time...ie reading a book on your lcd screen is bad for your eyes. That's why the Kindle has done well with e-ink technology since it's supposed to be easier on your eyes.

So why would I use the iPad for that?

I don't mean to start things but just an honest question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 11:14 AM
    sorry guys but this would be great if you don't already have an iphone. I wouldnt wanna carry the super sized iphone and its mini me together. a lil senseless. netbooks are already cheap as it is and you can install snow leopard on them. A full OSx not just apple os. thats how i feel.
    02-06-10 11:41 AM
    sorry guys but this would be great if you don't already have an iphone. I wouldnt wanna carry the super sized iphone and its mini me together. a lil senseless. netbooks are already cheap as it is and you can install snow leopard on them. A full OSx not just apple os. thats how i feel.
    Yeah but this isnt really a device to carry around , its something you have on long trips , or at home to surf the web , email , play a few games ... etc
    02-06-10 12:37 PM
    Just a question...ebooks are a wonderful concept. I thought that staring at an lcd screen for excessive periods of time...ie reading a book on your lcd screen is bad for your eyes. That's why the Kindle has done well with e-ink technology since it's supposed to be easier on your eyes.

So why would I use the iPad for that?

I don't mean to start things but just an honest question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The short answer is you wouldn't. I've got a Kindle ($250 now) and as a pure bookreader it has some advantages over a iPad IMO: Cheaper. Smaller. No backlight display so the battery should last way longer (mine lasts a week with the radio off), maybe easier on the eyes (I never tried a book on a laptop, on the Droid they look different than the Kindle), books may be cheaper to purchase ($10 for new, $6 for old on Kindle, nobody knows what Apple will charge). I can store 1500 books on the Kindle using about 1gb of memory, so that's not a factor for me. The iPad will do many many more things than a Kindle but if it's just reading books/newspapers you're after the Kindle has a lot going for it IMO.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 02-06-10 at 01:40 PM.
    02-06-10 01:37 PM
    Why in the world are you comparing a kindle to an iPad... Kindle = used for one thing, a very very niche market product. iPad = an extensive list of uses.
    I don't mean to be defensive but this comparison makes no sense.
    It's like comparing a tv to media phone... I can watch endless movies and tv shows on a tv why get a media phone... because a media phone can do SO MUCH MORE. Makes no sense to compare it with a Kindle when iBooks is one of hundreds of things it can do.
    You basically drawing a ven diagram with one circle.
    Also, Mofo, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. If you even read my post you would know why people would use this device. This is why I wrote unless you're buying it don't bother replying. The ignorant remarks are just that.
    Watch the release video and see it's not a "big iPhone" because saying that really shows you have no idea what you're talking about and wont be taken seriously.
    02-06-10 05:53 PM
    You guys are the first people I have seen that pretty much know they are going to get it. I have no point, I shouldn't be here, but something urked me in the first post.

For school? Yeah, it's light and whatnot, but you are going to need to bring a keyboard with you. There is no way you can take notes on that and keep up with the speed of any class. I have a netbook I use for school, and while the battery life might not last 10 hours, it lasts 5 in a half. Long enough for a day at college. I am interested to see how it goes though.

If I had a desktop I would get one, though. I enjoy laying in bed and surfing the web, and the iPad is perfect for that.
    02-06-10 06:00 PM
    Even through the hype and limitations, I could see getting an iPad once my Gateway craps out on me. The heaviest duty taskk my laptop sees is Quicken once a month. Aside from that, I surf the web, read email, and listen to music. The one thing that concerns me however, is the limited storage space with respect to iTunes. On a regular computer where you have 80+ gb, you can store all kinds of crap. On the iPad, you will be limited unless Apple (aka the evil emPire) allows web based storage of files. Aside from that, the iPad seems like a winner and that's all I'd like to say about that.
    02-06-10 07:58 PM
    You guys are the first people I have seen that pretty much know they are going to get it. I have no point, I shouldn't be here, but something urked me in the first post.

For school? Yeah, it's light and whatnot, but you are going to need to bring a keyboard with you. There is no way you can take notes on that and keep up with the speed of any class. I have a netbook I use for school, and while the battery life might not last 10 hours, it lasts 5 in a half. Long enough for a day at college. I am interested to see how it goes though.

If I had a desktop I would get one, though. I enjoy laying in bed and surfing the web, and the iPad is perfect for that.
    Youre not the target group for the iPad thats why. Its not meant to replace a netbook, its a media/internet device, not to type your dissertation on. Apple never said this is going to replace your home computer, its to supplement it between an iphone and a full computer.

And there is a dock with a keyboard accessory, which is still about the same size total as a netbook.

Even through the hype and limitations, I could see getting an iPad once my Gateway craps out on me. The heaviest duty taskk my laptop sees is Quicken once a month. Aside from that, I surf the web, read email, and listen to music. .
    This is a good idea of the target of the iPad, media. Most average computer users check email, browse the web, office (word/excel/etc) tasks, watch video, and listen to music. VERY few really use the computing power of their computers, and if they do its occasionally where they would have a PC as the iPad isnt a PC replacement.

This is exactly where the Ipad comes is. A light thin mobile device with a nice size screen that you can do your documents and spreadsheets, browse the web, listen to music, watch videos, check email, etc. All of the tasks that the vast majority of people use their PCs for.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-06-10 at 08:46 PM.
    02-06-10 08:43 PM
    At first I wasn't too interested in it. But looking at the keynote and demo thing on Apple's site makes me want to at least try one. It also makes me think about the times that I am out at places where it would have been good to have one especially since I have different types of meetings several times a week and it would me much more comfortable doing a lot of things on this. Also, just thinking about sitting around and navigating through the web with my finger tips seems like an awesome experience. At least right now, it's worth a shot. I will wait a week or 2 after it's released to see what people say. Of course I will play around with it for a while at an Apple store. But I will definitely have one at one point in time at least to have an accurate opinion and see if it can fulfill any needs.
    02-06-10 08:45 PM
    The short answer is you wouldn't. I've got a Kindle ($250 now) and as a pure bookreader it has some advantages over a iPad IMO: Cheaper. Smaller. No backlight display so the battery should last way longer (mine lasts a week with the radio off), maybe easier on the eyes (I never tried a book on a laptop, on the Droid they look different than the Kindle), books may be cheaper to purchase ($10 for new, $6 for old on Kindle, nobody knows what Apple will charge). I can store 1500 books on the Kindle using about 1gb of memory, so that's not a factor for me. The iPad will do many many more things than a Kindle but if it's just reading books/newspapers you're after the Kindle has a lot going for it IMO.
    It's funny because one of the biggest points they made in the Keynote was e-books. I wouldn't want to. A few of my friends have the Kindle and they love it. I've used it for a little bit and I found it extremely easy to read.
    02-06-10 09:56 PM
    It's funny because one of the biggest points they made in the Keynote was e-books. I wouldn't want to. A few of my friends have the Kindle and they love it. I've used it for a little bit and I found it extremely easy to read.
    If I were hyping the iPad I'd target ebook readers too. Why? Because a lot of them sold last year, and even more are projected to sell this year. So Apple will surely want to jump on the bandwagon and convince people that they should buy the iPad, not a Kindle/Nook/Sony. Plus, they can sell you the books, which is probably very profitable. So the wife says "honey, remember that Kindle I wanted for Christmas? Well I think I want an ipad instead, because the ad says I can have pictures of the kids on a slideshow, and I can put movies on it and read my email. It's only a couple hundred dollars more. Pretty please." Husband: "But hon, I got you a nice laptop last Christmas and you hardly use it. You love you iPhone instead". Wifey: "but that laptop's so BIG, I can't take it that thing to the pool or to the hotel to read my book or see movies. It's so BIG and heavy. And the iPhone screen is too little for my eyes to read my books. Pretty please." BINGO. Dollars will be made, just supply the advertising. Advertise on Oprah, have her give some to the audience members soon.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 02-07-10 at 02:11 PM.
    02-07-10 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD