05-29-12 09:49 AM
73 123
tools
    I find it hilarious so many people say iPhones are not workhorses or are toys. I get more done with my iPhone then I ever did with any BB. The apps are amazing. I have a post that details some of the stuff I can and will do in a typical day on this phone. I am even buying a home now and have signed the papers on my phone. No printing and faxing. Just signing and emailing.

I give presentations from it, type word documents using Siri and/or a native BT full sized keyboard, manage family life with better calendar integration, print forms natively, have better camera and video. There really is no comparison. I guess it comes down to what you want to do. If you want to bridge your computer/mobile life, then Apple does a better job. If you want to send a text or an email and browse the net once every few months on a smaller screen then BB might be the way to go.

I was with BB for something like 7 or 8 years and since switching to iPhone I will not be coming back anytime soon.

Good luck in what you decide.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    05-03-12 02:04 AM
    I get email as fast (at times faster) on my iPhone than on my BB.
    CrackberryV79 is probably on BES, which immediately pushes the email when it is received on the corporate or military email server. BIS can take up to twenty minutes to check your provider for new mail and then push it out to you.
    05-05-12 05:03 PM
    Stop using your providers smtp server, problem solved.
    Then what smtp server would you use? Mail sent from open relay servers tends to get marked as spam.

The solution is for Apple to fix their software so it matches wifi connections and cellular connections to the proper smtp servers or provide an Apple smtp server.
    05-05-12 05:08 PM
    The solution is for Apple to fix their software so it matches wifi connections and cellular connections to the proper smtp servers or provide an Apple smtp server.
    Name me one company that does that?
    05-06-12 10:01 AM
    Hi,

Thank you all for your additional posts. I have been playing with my I-Phone for a little over a week now and my basic impression is this..no..it does NOT blow the Blackberry away. IMHO, my friends waxed on a bit too much and laid it on thick about the joys of owning an I-phone. That being said..I can see where those that do not need a Blackberry for business use would absolutely love the I-Phone. Here are my thoughts:

CONS:

1) I'm not sure why some are saying that the I-phone receives e-mail as fast as the Blackberry but all I can say is that this is absolutely not true for me. The BB is faster. Sometimes I get a 5 minute delay with the I-phone, sometimes 20 minutes and one day this week...HOURS!! I have no clue as to why. That being said, I have tested this and I basically get all my e-mails with the I-phone within 5 minutes of them being sent.

2) It SUCKS not to have a LED notification light of new e-mails. I have to remember to check and wait for the I-phone to load new messages. When you are a busy person, this is not cool.

3) I have downloaded two calendar apps and not a one is as good as the calendar on BB. I bet BB users take their calendar for granted...don't.

4) Texting and e-mailing is a horror show. Don't even get me started on the incoherent e-mails I have sent with SIRI and auto-text!! LOL It's embarrassing. Check EVERYTHING before you hit send...which brings me to another point...it has a bad habit of sending messages when you are not quite finished. I guess the screen is very sensitive. I will say that this is my first touch phone. I hate the touch phone. Honestly, if they put a regular keyboard on the I-phone, I would be in heaven. It would be a near perfect phone for me.

5) Verizon has yet to be able to load my business e-mail account which is a Verizon account. They called Apple for me and they also could not help. I need to be able to access this account quickly. It seems that it is a Pop account and although we "think" we have the proper codes...they are not working. If anyone has any ideas of where I can go to for help with this, I would appreciate it. I have missed many e-mails that were time sensitive because of this.

6) Battery life on the I-phone is terrible. Only lasts a day...and not really a full day if you use your phone often. I am not someone that runs apps all day either.

PROS

1) The Apps. Let me say it again...the Apps. I said from the start that I am not an app person. However, I discovered several apps that will help me in my business. I also found a game that I am addicted to!! The apps are easy to download. This is one of the main reasons...I will be keeping the I-phone.

2) SIRI- I LOVE This feature. Even though she gets fresh sometimes...spontaneously told me "It's not me, it's you" LOL....I love this thing. I can dictate texts, messages,etc quickly. The only downside is that you have to use the keyboard for edits which is not very good and difficult to use. Still and all..this can be a real timesaver. The second reason I will be keeping this phone.

3) Easy Synching with I-tunes. For someone like me that finds it difficult to do basic things such as uploading music on my BB..I REALLY appreciate this feature.

4) E-mail easier to read. The BB e-mail is faster, but I find the experience of actually reading e-mails on the I-phone much better.

5) Of course..the camera and video...heads and shoulders above the BB.

Anyway...thank you all for your help. I wrote the above so that anyone that is thinking of making the switch like I did can take all of these things into account. My bottom line however is that both the BB and the I-phone are great products. I don't think you can go wrong either way. It's just a matter of preference. I may even go back to my BB one day. I do miss many features for sure.
    Last edited by classc1; 05-08-12 at 09:31 AM.
    05-08-12 09:19 AM
    Can't say why your email is slower. My husband and I had both been on iPhone for a year and I have my 9900 as well, and it's as fast and at times faster. Now, you are on Verizon and I'm not using a CDMA iPhone so maybe that's one reason or it's something with your email providers.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    05-08-12 10:55 AM
    Can't say why your email is slower. My husband and I had both been on iPhone for a year and I have my 9900 as well, and it's as fast and at times faster. Now, you are on Verizon and I'm not using a CDMA iPhone so maybe that's one reason or it's something with your email providers.

I had the CDMA iPhone 4 and my email was instant. Just as fast as my Android and BB devices.
    05-08-12 11:12 AM
    I had the CDMA iPhone 4 and my email was instant. Just as fast as my Android and BB devices.
    All depends on how you have it set up. Gmail set up as a push exchange account works just as fast as BB.
    05-08-12 04:38 PM
    Okay...I picked up the I-phone yesterday...I'm ready to throw it out the window today!! URGH!! Everyone says that it will get better. Here's the deal so far. The e-mail is NOWHERE as good as BB. It's not as fast. They could not even place my business e-mail account on the phone..said that I have to call. I got my mail much quicker with BB. Also...and I just may not know how to do this yet..it will not push my mail through until I go and click on the mail link. I hate that there is no LED notification light. The upside of their e-mail..it groups threads of e-mails together which is a nice feature.

The biggest possible deal-breaker of all for me is their calendar. It's ridiculous. It hides what the actual appt is and with whom. You need to go through far too many steps to find this information out. I need to be able to pull out my calendar and in 10 seconds tell someone if I am available at a specific time and date. I can do that with my BB. I can't with this. I am looking now for a better calendar app on the I-phone. This may not be a big deal to some, but I need my phone for three things..e-mail, texting and the calendar. The rest is nice...but all extra for me.

As for texting...this is the worst problem of all. It takes 4x's as long because I keep hitting the wrong buttons and such. Maybe I will get better and the sales rep suggested a stylus..but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an I-phone? As for SIRI..I have mixed feelings. The only reason I might keep this thing is that I like the dictation feature. I can see how if you learn how to use it properly it can save a lot of time with e-mails and other things such as writing on message boards. I tell you though that "swoosh" sound when it actually sends a text is not cool. I had no clue that my texts were actually being sent!!

The upside...the apps and ease of uploading them. I was able to upload some Weight Watchers apps that I have been dying to have. Also, the camera and video are IMHO quite superior to BB. I also LOVE the GPS (maps) on this thing. It is pretty amazing and very quick. It's also very nice to wirelessly sync Itunes with the phone.

Anyway..thanks for your help. Not sure how long the I-phone and I will make it. I will give it a try if I can find a good calendar and am able to type better.
    This is precisely why you shouldn't spend $200+ on a device based solely on peer pressure.
    xandermac likes this.
    05-09-12 01:10 PM
    Hi,

Thank you all for your additional posts. I have been playing with my I-Phone for a little over a week now and my basic impression is this..no..it does NOT blow the Blackberry away. IMHO, my friends waxed on a bit too much and laid it on thick about the joys of owning an I-phone. That being said..I can see where those that do not need a Blackberry for business use would absolutely love the I-Phone. Here are my thoughts:

CONS:

1) I'm not sure why some are saying that the I-phone receives e-mail as fast as the Blackberry but all I can say is that this is absolutely not true for me. The BB is faster. Sometimes I get a 5 minute delay with the I-phone, sometimes 20 minutes and one day this week...HOURS!! I have no clue as to why. That being said, I have tested this and I basically get all my e-mails with the I-phone within 5 minutes of them being sent.
    Depends on how your email is set up. I have a BlackBerry Curve from my work that has the horrible 15min wait for email to arrive on it because we do not have a BES setup. We do have ActiveSync setup, so I use my iPhone for all of my work email and receive instantly, search the server for messages, and find coworkers on the global address book. I use gmail setup as exchange for my personal email, and I've not noticed any delays using it that way.

2) It SUCKS not to have a LED notification light of new e-mails. I have to remember to check and wait for the I-phone to load new messages. When you are a busy person, this is not cool.
    I still miss my LED and BerryBuzz. And I really miss my custom notification profiles Having said that, I usually keep my phone on silent at work anyways and I feel the vibe for incoming messages. Being a holster kinda guy I'm going to have my phone in my hand to be able to see the LED, so clicking the home button to look at my lock screen notifications isn't too much of a problem for me.
    I don't wait for messages to load as as my email is setup for push like I stated above.

3) I have downloaded two calendar apps and not a one is as good as the calendar on BB. I bet BB users take their calendar for granted...don't.
    Stock calendar sucks! LOL!!! It is very good for two things: it syncs with iCloud and I have the iCloud connector setup to sync with my Outlook wirelessly, and instantly. The stock calendar shows on the notification center. Using the calendar app is horrible though, which is why I started using Calvetica. It reads and writes to the iPhone, iCloud, work exchange, and gmail exchange calendars. Definite 5 star, buy it now, recommendation from me

4) Texting and e-mailing is a horror show. Don't even get me started on the incoherent e-mails I have sent with SIRI and auto-text!! LOL It's embarrassing. Check EVERYTHING before you hit send...which brings me to another point...it has a bad habit of sending messages when you are not quite finished. I guess the screen is very sensitive. I will say that this is my first touch phone. I hate the touch phone. Honestly, if they put a regular keyboard on the I-phone, I would be in heaven. It would be a near perfect phone for me.
    BlackBerry Bold 9000 keyboard is the undisputed king of text entry IMHO
    I like to read things before I send them, but it would be nice to have a check spelling before sending option. I'm considering one of those Bluetooth keyboard cases as it would be nice to open up some screen real estate, and I do like clicking buttons
    Touch accuracy, and copy/cut/paste is the second only to BlackBerry IMHO.
    Side note on text entry: the Pages app is amazing!

5) Verizon has yet to be able to load my business e-mail account which is a Verizon account. They called Apple for me and they also could not help. I need to be able to access this account quickly. It seems that it is a Pop account and although we "think" we have the proper codes...they are not working. If anyone has any ideas of where I can go to for help with this, I would appreciate it. I have missed many e-mails that were time sensitive because of this.
    Lots of ideas, but not knowing the particulars of your email setup means I can't help

6) Battery life on the I-phone is terrible. Only lasts a day...and not really a full day if you use your phone often. I am not someone that runs apps all day either.
    May improve after a bit of time. Mine will go around 16-18 hours with normal email, phone calls, quick web search, resume writing (love that Pages app!), and occasional "OMG! I get to take a lunch break?!" Firefly episode

PROS

1) The Apps. Let me say it again...the Apps. I said from the start that I am not an app person. However, I discovered several apps that will help me in my business. I also found a game that I am addicted to!! The apps are easy to download. This is one of the main reasons...I will be keeping the I-phone.
    I never considered myself to be an app person until I got the iPhone either. The amount and quality of apps for work and play is staggering.

2) SIRI- I LOVE This feature. Even though she gets fresh sometimes...spontaneously told me "It's not me, it's you" LOL....I love this thing. I can dictate texts, messages,etc quickly. The only downside is that you have to use the keyboard for edits which is not very good and difficult to use. Still and all..this can be a real timesaver. The second reason I will be keeping this phone.
    Siri's a peach! She seems less sassy then at launch though, which is sad

3) Easy Synching with I-tunes. For someone like me that finds it difficult to do basic things such as uploading music on my BB..I REALLY appreciate this feature.
    Having a one stop shop for all media transferring and shopping is quite nice.

4) E-mail easier to read. The BB e-mail is faster, but I find the experience of actually reading e-mails on the I-phone much better.
    I laugh at my work peers when they can't read the emails or attachments I sent on their Berry's because the email is too large LOL!!! I will say that attaching files to an email is much better on a BlackBerry.

5) Of course..the camera and video...heads and shoulders above the BB.
    No point in having a point and shoot for me anymore. And the iCloud connector transfers all of those pictures onto my PC without any need for me to do anything except initial setup

Anyway...thank you all for your help. I wrote the above so that anyone that is thinking of making the switch like I did can take all of these things into account. My bottom line however is that both the BB and the I-phone are great products. I don't think you can go wrong either way. It's just a matter of preference. I may even go back to my BB one day. I do miss many features for sure.
    BlackBerry was my first smartphone, and the Bold was the first one I absolutely loved. To be completely honest though, my iPhone had been far more reliable, faster, entertaining, and far more productive for my use then any BlackBerry I've owned. That being said, I really, really hope that RIM knocks it out of the park with BBX so I can come back someday. The "Alpha" prototype looks amazing, and would be an awesome BlackBerry name, as long as it has the performance to back it up

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~
    05-12-12 12:57 PM
    I had a low end Blackberry Curve for about a year and then switched to the iPhone 4. I like the apps, the fact that my whole music library is at my finger tips via iCloud, web browsing, bigger screen which helps with reading books and documents on it if I am in a pinch. The keyboard is not a problem for me. I understand that a keyboard on the Bold is probably amazing but I really find that the iPhone keyboard is actually pretty good and I can easily type out emails or texts. Having said all of that, I never had one of the newer devices or the BB 7 software so take my experience with a grain of salt. I do have to say that the 9900 looks awesome and I would love to trial it for a month.
    05-13-12 08:45 PM
    I love the 4S. Totally smoked my 9900. Nice full html email. No transcated email like my BlackBerry. Both my Exchange email and yahoo email are on push. Much better battery life on my 4S then my 9900. You will really enjoy iPhone.
    I switched from 9930 to 4s last fall and feel exactly as u do. 4s blows away any bb I have had(for my needs in a smartphone) batt life is awesome on 4s! iPhone ftw. I am usually ready for something better after 6 months. Not the cas with 4s. Still love it as much as the first day I got it!!
    05-13-12 09:14 PM
    Last night I switched my wife from her iPhone 4s to my old 9810 because sending email on the iPhone has been problematic since she got it. Before you make the switch you should investigate the email. In our case, the email is hosted by our local cable company and the error can come when using wifi and cellular data at the same time. To send via either the cable companies smtp server or Bell's smtp server, you need to be on the respective network. The iPhone seems to get stuck sending and not automatically roll over to the next smtp server in the list. A call to Apple said it was a common problem with people using pop email and that the problem is not Apples, but the cable companies locking down their smtp servers to only devices on their network. Their suggestion was to get a different type of email, like gmail, or just not use wifi on the phone when sending email.

In the case of a BlackBerry, we send through BlackBerry's servers and avoid the problem.

The second problem with the iPhone is that you cannot email your calendar appointments unless your calendar is on the iCloud or an active sync or Microsoft Exchange account.

You may want to check closely on the return privileges of the iPhone in case you run into any of these problems.

My mother has this exact same problem with Bell, thanks for shedding light on the problem.
    One other thing I'd mention to the TS. If you require a call blocker you will be out of luck unless you jailbreak your phone.
    05-15-12 07:04 AM
    My mother has this exact same problem with Bell, thanks for shedding light on the problem.

One other thing I'd mention to the TS. If you require a call blocker you will be out of luck unless you jailbreak your phone.

Simple workaround is forward it to the @me.com free Apple ID address or set it up as an exchange account (Bell uses MSN infrastructure for its email accounts @bell.net).

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-15-12 08:05 AM
    Very short update. My I-phone is growing on me. Learning new things every day. Totally in love with the SIRI feature, apps, Safari browser and easy to read e-mail. That is all!! LOL
    05-25-12 11:20 AM
    Amazing how that works, eh?

I have been using WP7.5 lately and have fallen for the minimalist OS and the smoothness...but I go back to my iPhone. However my dad just got his first smartphone today...a new Torch. I am an all OS lover.

05-26-12 05:59 PM
    I was thinking of switching. Not sure if I should switch now though... the contract is almost up. Plus the carrier I'm going to is MTS and they don't seem to get their phones til way later so I guess I'll go with the 4S. If the rumours are true of iphone 5 , I definately do not want a bigger screen.
    Last edited by enze; 05-26-12 at 08:47 PM.
    05-26-12 08:44 PM
    I love my iPhone. Did the tethered jailbreak a few weeks ago, then the untethered just 2 days ago, let me tell you with a jb the possibilities are endless
    DX9 and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    05-27-12 08:03 AM
    Do you know if I should wait til the new iphone or go with the 4S? I want to upgrade soon and I am not in favor of iphone getting a bigger screen.
    05-28-12 02:32 PM
    Do you know if I should wait til the new iphone or go with the 4S? I want to upgrade soon and I am not in favor of iphone getting a bigger screen.
    why wait then? no one knows what the next iPhone will be like... only rumors
    05-28-12 06:40 PM
    I have a ipod touch but could never see myself switching over to an iphone. Would miss the physical keyboard and just the simplicity of it. There are not many apps that I use on the Ipod other than a few travel apps and the game Modern War. Not a big fan of Itunes, doesn't matter what computer I've had, Itunes has always ran slow on it. The Iphone/Ipod Touch also feels so delicate and kind of hard to hold. I can type with one hand on my 9700 and have dropped it so many times but it's a tank and keeps plugging away for me.
    05-28-12 08:50 PM
    Another lemming in the making lol If I was a waiting person,I would wait for the new BB10 phones. From what I've seen, they are going to be quite impressive.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    05-28-12 11:12 PM
    Another lemming in the making lol If I was a waiting person,I would wait for the new BB10 phones. From what I've seen, they are going to be quite impressive.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Like someone else said above about the new iPhone5, for the most part, all we've seen are flashes of this and rumors about that.

Plus if RIM doesn't get the app library Android and iOS have, butter 'em up cause they're toast.
    05-29-12 09:49 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD