You can store documents on your device

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    How? I only know how to store media.
    04-29-12 12:20 PM
    How? I only know how to store media.
    You can save PDF files to iBook. And you can save your word/excel documents to pages/numbers( if you have those apps installed)....

04-29-12 12:42 PM
    You can save PDF files to iBook. And you can save your word/excel documents to pages/numbers( if you have those apps installed)....

And docstogo, which links to google docs accounts if you want a cloud based, easy document transfer ability

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~
    04-29-12 01:38 PM
    I think the issue with iPhone 4/ 4S file sending, is that without the menu button, you can't easily attach a file. You have to go into Docs to go first and then create a separate email. I'm in an industry where I'm constantly sending media kits, spec sheets, artwork to clients, and that IS much easier on BB.

I own both the 4S and a 9900 - I see the benefits and negatives to both.

Siri is a flop as far as I'm concerned. it works maybe 50% of the time, and chews up a lot of data. For us Canadians that don't have unlimited data plans that's an issue.

You will get use to the virtual keyboard, but nothing beats the physical keyboard on the 9900.

Data Roaming charges - on 3 recent trips of a just over a week long, I had over $100 data roaming charges on Rogers, using my 4S. My wife, who receives quadruple the emails I do, had $12 in roaming charges from Rogers, using her 9810.

All this to say that I'm currently using the 4S, and I love the smoothness of the OS. However despite "there's an app for that", I find myself using the same 4-5 apps that I use on Blackberry: Facebook, Twitter, Weather (BeWEather), news

BTW, the Blackberry News app kills any rss reader on iOS, IMHO.
    04-29-12 02:46 PM
    I think the issue with iPhone 4/ 4S file sending, is that without the menu button, you can't easily attach a file. You have to go into Docs to go first and then create a separate email. I'm in an industry where I'm constantly sending media kits, spec sheets, artwork to clients, and that IS much easier on BB.

I own both the 4S and a 9900 - I see the benefits and negatives to both.

Siri is a flop as far as I'm concerned. it works maybe 50% of the time, and chews up a lot of data. For us Canadians that don't have unlimited data plans that's an issue.

You will get use to the virtual keyboard, but nothing beats the physical keyboard on the 9900.

Data Roaming charges - on 3 recent trips of a just over a week long, I had over $100 data roaming charges on Rogers, using my 4S. My wife, who receives quadruple the emails I do, had $12 in roaming charges from Rogers, using her 9810.

All this to say that I'm currently using the 4S, and I love the smoothness of the OS. However despite "there's an app for that", I find myself using the same 4-5 apps that I use on Blackberry: Facebook, Twitter, Weather (BeWEather), news

Fair enough....Pulse reader is better than any rss reader on blackberry. Also checkout feeddler Pro.

04-29-12 03:31 PM
    Specific apps depend on the user. I hated the Blackberry news app, but instead bought Berry Reader that syncs with my google RSS account. On IOS I use Feedler which has worked flawlessly since the first time I opened it.
    04-29-12 03:45 PM
    Okay...I picked up the I-phone yesterday...I'm ready to throw it out the window today!! URGH!! Everyone says that it will get better. Here's the deal so far. The e-mail is NOWHERE as good as BB. It's not as fast. They could not even place my business e-mail account on the phone..said that I have to call. I got my mail much quicker with BB. Also...and I just may not know how to do this yet..it will not push my mail through until I go and click on the mail link. I hate that there is no LED notification light. The upside of their e-mail..it groups threads of e-mails together which is a nice feature.

The biggest possible deal-breaker of all for me is their calendar. It's ridiculous. It hides what the actual appt is and with whom. You need to go through far too many steps to find this information out. I need to be able to pull out my calendar and in 10 seconds tell someone if I am available at a specific time and date. I can do that with my BB. I can't with this. I am looking now for a better calendar app on the I-phone. This may not be a big deal to some, but I need my phone for three things..e-mail, texting and the calendar. The rest is nice...but all extra for me.

As for texting...this is the worst problem of all. It takes 4x's as long because I keep hitting the wrong buttons and such. Maybe I will get better and the sales rep suggested a stylus..but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an I-phone? As for SIRI..I have mixed feelings. The only reason I might keep this thing is that I like the dictation feature. I can see how if you learn how to use it properly it can save a lot of time with e-mails and other things such as writing on message boards. I tell you though that "swoosh" sound when it actually sends a text is not cool. I had no clue that my texts were actually being sent!!

The upside...the apps and ease of uploading them. I was able to upload some Weight Watchers apps that I have been dying to have. Also, the camera and video are IMHO quite superior to BB. I also LOVE the GPS (maps) on this thing. It is pretty amazing and very quick. It's also very nice to wirelessly sync Itunes with the phone.

Anyway..thanks for your help. Not sure how long the I-phone and I will make it. I will give it a try if I can find a good calendar and am able to type better.
    Last edited by classc1; 04-30-12 at 08:00 AM.
    04-30-12 07:57 AM
    OP,
    The iPhone4 is not a world phone. So, if you go iPhone make sure it is an iP4S.
    (if you are going to travel, consider that it does not allow battery swapping and also that there have been issues with the battery life:
    Apple Confirms Battery Life Problems Are iOS 5 Related | Gadget Lab | Wired.com)
    If you travel to places, such as Africa, where reliable power is not available consider a solar charger. I have one for camping and it will give you half a charge so it is enough.

The internet speed tests showed the iP4 in a tie with the Bold 9930 but the iP4S is about 1 or 2 seconds faster.

If you are considering an iPhone 4S just be mindful that it consumes data like no other
    http://mashable.com/2012/01/06/iphon...a-consumption/

You can transfer music to the iPhone but it must go through iTunes. My main issue with Apple is their tendency to push you into their ecosystem and forcing you to go to iTunes is just part of that. They make it harder to convert music to MP3 format but were forced by the government to do this a few years back. Today, they are being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing e-books so just be mindful of the dynamics.

I'm a big BlackBerry fan so I would advice you to consider the Bold 9930 instead. It would be an upgrade from your current device in my view and you get to keep all the BB goodies such as data security, world phone, battery swap capability, real keyboard.
    04-30-12 09:11 AM
    Okay...I picked up the I-phone yesterday...I'm ready to throw it out the window today!! URGH!! Everyone says that it will get better. Here's the deal so far. The e-mail is NOWHERE as good as BB. It's not as fast. They could not even place my business e-mail account on the phone..said that I have to call. I got my mail much quicker with BB. Also...and I just may not know how to do this yet..it will not push my mail through until I go and click on the mail link. I hate that there is no LED notification light. The upside of their e-mail..it groups threads of e-mails together which is a nice feature.

The biggest possible deal-breaker of all for me is their calendar. It's ridiculous. It hides what the actual appt is and with whom. You need to go through far too many steps to find this information out. I need to be able to pull out my calendar and in 10 seconds tell someone if I am available at a specific time and date. I can do that with my BB. I can't with this. I am looking now for a better calendar app on the I-phone. This may not be a big deal to some, but I need my phone for three things..e-mail, texting and the calendar. The rest is nice...but all extra for me.

As for texting...this is the worst problem of all. It takes 4x's as long because I keep hitting the wrong buttons and such. Maybe I will get better and the sales rep suggested a stylus..but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an I-phone? As for SIRI..I have mixed feelings. The only reason I might keep this thing is that I like the dictation feature. I can see how if you learn how to use it properly it can save a lot of time with e-mails and other things such as writing on message boards. I tell you though that "swoosh" sound when it actually sends a text is not cool. I had no clue that my texts were actually being sent!!

The upside...the apps and ease of uploading them. I was able to upload some Weight Watchers apps that I have been dying to have. Also, the camera and video are IMHO quite superior to BB. I also LOVE the GPS (maps) on this thing. It is pretty amazing and very quick. It's also very nice to wirelessly sync Itunes with the phone.

Anyway..thanks for your help. Not sure how long the I-phone and I will make it. I will give it a try if I can find a good calendar and am able to type better.
    I was afraid this might happen...

As I said, the iPhone can be useful, but out-of-the-box, coming directly from a Blackberry, there's much lacking. There's a reason I still prefer my BB for business, and why we're still issued BBs exclusively in the military. PUSH. Email/Push is never going to be on par with a BB - that's just one of those things that's like the sun rising... it just IS. I even ditched the stock Mail app on mine and went with Sparrow (and the Sparrow+ tweak)... still not as good. The same holds true for LED notifications and the calendar - there are some serviceable replacement calendar apps, though. Other aspects of the iPhone will become more comfortable for you. This is especially true concerning the keyboard. I'm a gadget addict, but I also had the benefit of having iPod Touches, so I was familiar with the interface, functions and gestures.

The camera on the 4s is arguably one of the best ever on a mobile device, and its media integration is second to none. Outside of those "nice" features, it sounds like you have a bit of deciding to do. What do you NEED in a phone, and does your current phone handle that for you? Keep the 4s, hope you adjust to it a bit, and hold out hope that some of your concerns are addressed in the "upcoming" iOS 6 update.

Or...

04-30-12 05:11 PM
    Since I moved my wife off the iPhone 4s a few days ago, I have asked iPhone users I meet if they are having email sending problems. They all seem to have problems with some email accounts. I think the iPhone is fine with cloud based email solutions or Exchange server email, but if you still have a legacy pop email, you will have problems sending sometimes when your iPhone has both wifi and cellular data on.

In regards to the browser on the 9810, she has no complaints in comparison to her iPhone.

International travel will be better with the BlackBerry too, even using your existing provider. For example, last night I was talking to a friend that was away skiing for four days and his iPhone went through three thirty dollar data packs. Part of this is he was not using wifi much, probably because of email sending problem. In addition, he was getting lots of emails. In the case of emails, the Blackberry will allow you to wait until on wifi to download the rest of larger emails or attachments to save on data roaming charges. I was away for a week at about the same time and my son and I only used about $12 each of data on our BlackBerries, most of that when on the highway when using the mapping software .
    Stop using your providers smtp server, problem solved.
    04-30-12 05:33 PM
    Really? Flipboard?
    DX9 likes this.
    04-30-12 06:12 PM
    Really? Flipboard?
    Agree, Flipboard is very nice
    04-30-12 06:22 PM
    OP,
    The iPhone4 is not a world phone. So, if you go iPhone make sure it is an iP4S.
    (if you are going to travel, consider that it does not allow battery swapping and also that there have been issues with the battery life:
    Apple Confirms Battery Life Problems Are iOS 5 Related | Gadget Lab | Wired.com)
    fixed

If you travel to places, such as Africa, where reliable power is not available consider a solar charger. I have one for camping and it will give you half a charge so it is enough.

The internet speed tests showed the iP4 in a tie with the Bold 9930 but the iP4S is about 1 or 2 seconds faster.
    I would love to see this test

If you are considering an iPhone 4S just be mindful that it consumes data like no other
    http://mashable.com/2012/01/06/iphon...a-consumption/
    this report was debunked a long time ago, all your information is 4 months old

You can transfer music to the iPhone but it must go through iTunes. My main issue with Apple is their tendency to push you into their ecosystem and forcing you to go to iTunes is just part of that.

They make it harder to convert music to MP3 format but were forced by the government to do this a few years back. Today,
    where on earth do you get this stuff. iTunes has supported mp3 since its launch. Mp3 was its default prior to AAC.

they are being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing e-books so just be mindful of the dynamics.

I'm a big BlackBerry fan so I would advice you to consider the Bold 9930 instead. It would be an upgrade from your current device in my view and you get to keep all the BB goodies such as data security, world phone, battery swap capability, real keyboard.

You really need some more recent information
    Last edited by xandermac; 04-30-12 at 06:27 PM.
    04-30-12 06:23 PM
    . PUSH. Email/Push is never going to be on par with a BB
    I love how this myth is still going. Every device on the market supports push email nowadays. My android and iOS devices all push equally as fast or in some cases faster than any of my blackberries. The BlackBerry email experience is remarkably limited, plain and slow. I switched to my 9000 today and I can't tell you how awful it was going from a full HTML experience to the native BlackBerry email text based system, then having to waste even more time using a menu driven interface to download images and attachments.

Maybe it's just me but there are plenty of things to like about the BlackBerry, it's email experience is not one of them. The Speed is comparable to my other devices but everything else about bb email is remarkably lacking.
    Last edited by xandermac; 04-30-12 at 06:36 PM.
    04-30-12 06:32 PM
    OP,
    I read your comments on the frustration with the iPhone calendar and e-mail. Did you know you can launch the calendar on a BB by just hitting the L? That is it. There is no faster way to get to the calendar on any device that does not have a physical keyboard.
    Further, if you use AccuWeather you can see the weather on the calendar itself. This is a typical BlackBerry feature that is not flashy but saves time.
    I suggest you return the iPhone and try a Bold 9930 and then decide which one you like better.
    But, I've tried the iPhone (hated the e-mail and calendar), then a droid (HTC Evo 4G), then I came back running to BlackBerry with the Torch 9800 (it is much slower than the current Torch 9810 or Bold 9930 but it was enough).

If your priorities are e-mail, calendar and texting then BlackBerry has the advantage. Not to mention the secure encrypted transmissions. BlackBerry is also giving away $77.00 in free apps for the upgrade.
    If you like the iPhone then fine but if you find yourself missing some BlackBerry features then I suggest you at least consider the new OS7 Torches or Bolds.

P.S. At least BlackBerry is not currently being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing e-books.
    05-01-12 12:14 AM
    I love how this myth is still going. Every device on the market supports push email nowadays. My android and iOS devices all push equally as fast or in some cases faster than any of my blackberries. The BlackBerry email experience is remarkably limited, plain and slow. I switched to my 9000 today and I can't tell you how awful it was going from a full HTML experience to the native BlackBerry email text based system, then having to waste even more time using a menu driven interface to download images and attachments.

Maybe it's just me but there are plenty of things to like about the BlackBerry, it's email experience is not one of them. The Speed is comparable to my other devices but everything else about bb email is remarkably lacking.
    Yes, most phones have Push services. I didn't comment on Android, though. IOS - the "push" is hardly reliable. Period. There's a limit to what size attachment you can have, although that allotment seems to be at least 50x what the limit is for BBs. My comment is valid as far as actually RECEIVING your emails as they are sent, which is what I (and the OP) were commenting on. I've sat, sent myself emails, and waited MINUTES before the notifications. I came home from overseas, on leave, activated my old BB (still on its antiquated OS 5) and the notifications are still instantaneous. Nowhere near as smooth an OS experience as my (newer) iPhone, but that wasn't the question or concern raised.

As I also said, my iPhone is jailbroken, which has optimized it considerably. OP would just like a phone that does what she wants out of the box, without having to do a ton of extra tweaking. For her needs, she may need to keep looking.

Comments about "myths" are more ridiculous than most of the "myths" themselves. Telling someone about (or suggesting) the experience THEY are having with a device they actually do have and own, though... funny.
    05-01-12 09:41 AM
    P.S. At least BlackBerry is not currently being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing e-books.
    LMAO. Is this what you do? Come into the iPhone section trying to convince people to pick a 9930 with out of date iPhone information, and then throw in Apples legal problems like anyone actually gives a crap?

Apple being sued for ebooks is NOT going to do anything to the iPhone. Only ebooks.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-01-12 at 12:58 PM.
    brucep1 likes this.
    05-01-12 11:26 AM

The app experience on the iphone is second to none. Comparing camera and video isn't even close to Blackberry, it's almost not even fair. My iPhone 4 (released in June 2010) still has a better camera and video taking ability than any Blackberry.
    05-01-12 12:32 PM
    Yes, most phones have Push services. I didn't comment on Android, though. IOS - the "push" is hardly reliable. Period. There's a limit to what size attachment you can have, although that allotment seems to be at least 50x what the limit is for BBs. My comment is valid as far as actually RECEIVING your emails as they are sent, which is what I (and the OP) were commenting on. I've sat, sent myself emails, and waited MINUTES before the notifications. I came home from overseas, on leave, activated my old BB (still on its antiquated OS 5) and the notifications are still instantaneous. Nowhere near as smooth an OS experience as my (newer) iPhone, but that wasn't the question or concern raised.

As I also said, my iPhone is jailbroken, which has optimized it considerably. OP would just like a phone that does what she wants out of the box, without having to do a ton of extra tweaking. For her needs, she may need to keep looking.

Comments about "myths" are more ridiculous than most of the "myths" themselves. Telling someone about (or suggesting) the experience THEY are having with a device they actually do have and own, though... funny.
    I was replying to your ridiculous statements that push will never be on par with the BlackBerry.

I'm sorry, it is a myth (or complete bollocks) that BlackBerry has the fastest email. Place a number of devices together and you will see. The truth is it's no faster than any other modern system that uses exchange ActiveSync and it is severely lacking in other areas. I'm not trying to sway the OP, I personally think he will be better served with a BlackBerry but the email myth is one that died with exchange ActiveSync.

I own and use every major platform available today and they all push my email as well as the next guy. So yes I agree, your trying to tell me what works and doesn't work for me is pretty funny. Stick to the blackberry if it works for you but don't think you're experiencing some sort of mythical advantage in delivery speed.
    Last edited by xandermac; 05-01-12 at 01:04 PM.
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-01-12 12:56 PM
    I get email as fast (at times faster) on my iPhone than on my BB.
    05-01-12 02:36 PM
    OP,
    I read your comments on the frustration with the iPhone calendar and e-mail. Did you know you can launch the calendar on a BB by just hitting the L? That is it. There is no faster way to get to the calendar on any device that does not have a physical keyboard.
    Further, if you use AccuWeather you can see the weather on the calendar itself. This is a typical BlackBerry feature that is not flashy but saves time.
    I suggest you return the iPhone and try a Bold 9930 and then decide which one you like better.
    But, I've tried the iPhone (hated the e-mail and calendar), then a droid (HTC Evo 4G), then I came back running to BlackBerry with the Torch 9800 (it is much slower than the current Torch 9810 or Bold 9930 but it was enough).

If your priorities are e-mail, calendar and texting then BlackBerry has the advantage. Not to mention the secure encrypted transmissions. BlackBerry is also giving away $77.00 in free apps for the upgrade.
    If you like the iPhone then fine but if you find yourself missing some BlackBerry features then I suggest you at least consider the new OS7 Torches or Bolds.

Dude you sound desperate. Lol...and ps the free apps offered are not great at all.
    Crude Berry likes this.
    05-01-12 05:21 PM
    I was replying to your ridiculous statements that push will never be on par with the BlackBerry.

I'm sorry, it is a myth (or complete bollocks) that BlackBerry has the fastest email. Place a number of devices together and you will see. The truth is it's no faster than any other modern system that uses exchange ActiveSync and it is severely lacking in other areas. I'm not trying to sway the OP, I personally think he will be better served with a BlackBerry but the email myth is one that died with exchange ActiveSync.

I own and use every major platform available today and they all push my email as well as the next guy. So yes I agree, your trying to tell me what works and doesn't work for me is pretty funny. Stick to the blackberry if it works for you but don't think you're experiencing some sort of mythical advantage in delivery speed.
    I actually wasn't trying to tell YOU anything - I wasn't talking to you, remember? I was replying to the OP, who ALSO said she experienced serious lag in receiving her email notifications.

I'm absolutely thrilled that you own so many phones. Bravo. I own a few myself, including every iteration of the iPhone (minus the 4s). My wife owns several others (including the 4s). Do I sit all of my phones side by side, as you obviously have (for whatever reason)? No. I HAVE noticed that my BB email notifications are instantaneous, whereas my iPhone emails are hit or miss, moreso than any other. Sometimes I get an update right away; other times I have to refresh my email in order for any new ones to appear. That's not up for debate; I don't care how often it works for you. I'm done with this little back 'n forth, though.

Back to the OP, as I said, every OTHER facet of the email system is probably better on iOS, but that Push isn't as reliable, and it sounds like you've experienced this for yourself. Sparrow is a great alternative - many more features than the already feature-filled stock Mail app. And as always, the JB community kicked it up a notch with a few tweaks. (most notably, Sparrow+, which adds push and Notification Center integration). As far as the notifications go, no, there isn't a handy LED, but there are a few things you can do with the notifications on iOS: have them present on your lockscreen for quick viewing, set the dropdown notification bar to manual removal, so that unread notifications remain on your homescreen, etc.
    05-01-12 07:13 PM
    I get email as fast (at times faster) on my iPhone than on my BB.
    I don't doubt it... I just never (or rarely, to be completely accurate) have.

The only times I can say it's worked rather seamlessly for me is if I already have the Mail app either literally open, or running in the system tray. Sames goes for my iPad. Funny thing, after I commented about not laying my phones next to one another to compare email responses, I realized I DO often have my iPhone and my iPad next to one another. The timing fluctuates, and it's random as far as which one gets it first. I don't count the little 5-10 second delay stuff - who really complains about that? But i've had times where I hear my iPad mail alert as I'm stepping out the door, drive to the store or work, and once there, FINALLY the same message makes it to my phone.
    05-01-12 07:22 PM

1) How is the internet service on the I-phone? Is it quick?
    I got an iPhone 4s a few months ago on Sprint, coming from a blackberry curve 8330 running OS 4.5x. Yes, it's significantly faster BUT, I think my curve had slower internal networking circuitry.

2) Does I-Phone have a calendar that is as good as the one on Blackberry? I put all of my appointments on my calendar and I need a phone with a very good one.
    I'd give a slight edge to my blackberry.

3) Can I use the I-phone out of the country?
    Don't know.

4) Does the I-phone have Wi-Fi capability?
    Yes and it's way faster than Sprint's 3G.

5) How is the ease of transferring music to the phone and pictures from the phone?
    If you have a mac, it's very fast. In fact, I was surprised at how much better it synced with my mac than my 3 yr old iPod. And, while you are buying songs on your computer, I think you have an option to transfer them over the air to your iPhone while it's not connected to your computer.

6) Can music other than I-tunes be downloaded?
    Don't know but you can import songs ripped from CDs from your iTunes account.

I've been using my iPhone for about 3 months now and so far, I do NOT like touch screen devices because you have to precisely touch the right buttons or else you are turning something else on or off. But, when you touch the right buttons in the right order, it works fantastic. I'm still amazed at how fast 3G is on it. And of course, there's lots of great apps for it and Apple's app store (IMO) is much better than Blackberry's.

My dream phone would be an iPhone with a blackberry style keyboard on the ATT blackberry phone that slides the screen straight up so you have a full big LCD screen and the keyboard underneath and with a OS that has the underpinnings of IOS but with a mix of IOS and blackberry's interface as your user interface.

I miss the LED message indicator that my Curve had.

And one more iPhone complaint. For some reason, the iPhone is hard for me to hold compared to my Curve. The Curve seemed to fit perfectly in my hand whereas when I hold the iPhone, it doesn't feel secure in my hand.

Part of me would like to see Apple buy RIM and combine RIM's interface on top of IOS while building phones with blackberry keyboards.
    05-02-12 10:42 PM
    Thank you all so much. I did not know about the IPhone site...I've only owned a BlackBerry I will take a look. You guys have really helped me a lot. If I can try it for 14 days I may.

Mnhockey- I TOTALLY feel pressured. Everyone makes it seem as if I am the only one that still uses a BB. I've always loved my BB although I think I liked my Curve more than this Bold. There are a few quirks with this Bold and I was never good at uploading all of the new updates so I've been stuck with a few issues. Still and all...love the e-mail and calendar on my BB.
    You've got a BB. Own it. You got the phone for the movers and a shakers.
    05-02-12 11:01 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD