I have been with Verizon for many years and have been very happy with the service. However, I have been "wishing" for an iphone since they were released. My contract is over in late September and I would love any opinions on what I should do? I was also considering waiting for the Storm 2 as well. HELP please.
    07-29-09 06:20 PM
    The iPhone is a very capable device - better in most regards than any BlackBerry. However, you might not like the AT&T network. I'd try it first & ask around - not just at home, but work & anywhere you frequent.

An option would be to wait for the Storm2, but we're looking at probably late November to early December for that, if not longer. Another option would be the Samsung Omnia 2, a device so potent & screen so good, it might even give the iPhone a run. Expect the O2 probably late September to early October - or sooner.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 06:30 PM
    The Iphone is sweet. I had an affair with it for a few weeks, then came to back to BB.
    You need to determine if ATT has comparable service where you live. Sure the device Rocks! but does the carrier?????
    I great phone ain't worth **** if you can't use it.
    07-29-09 06:33 PM
    Depends on where you are. I understand there are a number of locations in major metro areas where AT&T has poor coverage relative to VZW. Go here for coverage maps. After all, what good is a phone if you can't get on the network?
    07-29-09 06:56 PM
    If ya stay good job. If ya leave, we'll see ya back soon.

07-29-09 06:58 PM
    I was in love with the iPhone the first time I had it (3G) and when the 3GS came out. I rushed to ATT and picked up it.

The iPhone itself is awesome despite a few setbacks, but ATT was just ok. And I live in NYC. VZW service was much better in most areas. I did have service with ATT just not always 3G (so whats the point of the 3GS) and the bars would fluctuate from good service to very poor service. Sometimes even in the very same spot. I would be sitting at my desk at work and go from 5 bars to 1 bar back and forth.

I ended up sticking with VZW and my berry. The iPhone was fun and fast but the BlackBerry just did more. When I had my iPhone I always told myself that I didn't need the blackberry and that the iPhone did everything I needed in a phone. But after a while I realized that I was just trying to convince myself and came back home to the berry.

In my opinion the BlackBerry is just a better device overall, as a phone and a tool. I do still use my iPod Touch for apps and games and stuff because I do feel that apple made a good device for that kind of stuff. But the Berry addiction was just too hard to get rid of.

Plus, as a side note that can be avoided sometimes but it affected me, I have had nothing but bad experiences with ATT customer service. Very seldom did I speak to a nice customer service rep over the phone or in store. I don't know if that is just a coincidence but aside from a few rare times, I have had very good experiences with VZW customer service.

Sorry for the longwinded post
    07-29-09 07:07 PM
    I also would like to have an iPhone. But i hate the carrier. Their services here in florida is very spotty. I would rather have Storm with hardly app developer and excellent network services than having to missed/dropped call. Hopefully Verizon will bring iPhone to their network soon.
    07-29-09 07:09 PM
    I have an Iphone and it is sweet. In many ways it is nicer than my blackberry and there are a ton of great apps for it. If the service is good then go for the switch.
    07-29-09 07:40 PM
    **** no, stay AT&T's network is small and filled with static, look at this

www.cellularmap.net

And click on 3G coverage

07-29-09 08:05 PM
    I had the iPhone for 29 days before returning it and ditching AT&T. I got very spotty service and I always heard static while I was talking on the phone.

If you have good service in your area or can deal with lest than perfect coverage I say got for it. The iPhone is an awesome device and I would probably still have it if the service was better.
    07-29-09 08:10 PM
    The iPhone has lots of potential but AT&T is holding it back, and lets just say Apple is not doing much to utilize it all, but that is Apple.

After reading this article, I would wait a little before getting one
    iPhone SMS Security Flaw Could Allow 'Every iPhone In the World' to Be Hijacked - iPhone - Gizmodo
    07-29-09 08:14 PM
    Buy an iPod Touch and get the best of both worlds
    07-29-09 08:38 PM
    I agree with Verizon Wireless having better 3G coverage. I did a head to head test with someone with an iPhone in my area. They were using an iPhone with the Safari Browser, and I was using my BlackBerry Curve with the Opera Mini browser. We both went to a full HTML site at the same time. I was able to download the site in about 10 seconds. The iPhone took about 21 seconds. We assumed the iPhone wasn't getting a 3G signal.

07-29-09 08:59 PM
    At one time I tought I would like an Iphone ,two things changed my mind.
    1) AT&T coverage isn't all that great when travling where I go
    2) I got an Ipod (touchscreen) and decided then while touchscreen is cool on my music/games and etc. I wouldn't like the touchscreen as a phone
    3) and now since I have a BB with a "normal keypad" iphone is not needed

PS : entry# 3 was a bonus entry
    07-30-09 06:43 AM
    Buy an iPod Touch and get the best of both worlds
    Thats the way to go
    07-30-09 07:42 AM
    If I were you, I'd wait for the Storm 2 and weight it out then. I have strong reservations against the iphone for specific reasons but more than that, if a network is not failing you, its never a good idea to switch simply because of a device. A long standing relationship with a quality carrier is more important than one specific device itself.

As for the issues with iphone, I will never understand the rational behind a nonremovable battery and SD card. I don't like the lack of flash for late night or dark pics. And recent advertisements promoting a video feature as revolutionary is sickning enough and shows some sort of malitious intent by apple to progress the device far slower in order to keep customers coming back for more needlessly. So while the phone is sexy and the OS is pretty, I think that device definately has more of a form over function appeal. Blackberries on the other hand I think are the opposite, with RIM always trying to add form whenever possible. Its a better combination if you ask me. And couple that with solid voice, security, best push technology on the market, and great VZ 3g network and your golden.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 07-30-09 at 08:53 AM.
    07-30-09 08:28 AM
    My aunt switched got an iPhone, literally used it for 2 days and was back to her BlackBerry at Verizon. She lives in Orlando and seemed to get no reception anywhere.
    07-30-09 08:36 AM
    I lived in Orlando (Orange County) a few years back and in the entire 3 years I was out there, using VZ, I dont remember even 1 dropped call. I thought it was the lack of mountains or tall buildings that made this possible and figured all carriers worked just as well. Guess that isn't the case huh? lol
    07-30-09 09:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD