Hey all,

I currently have a bold and am seriously considering going to Iphone but i just have 1 quick question.. microsoft exchange email if i set up my exchange email on the iphone, when i get a new email are the alerts instant?? or do i have to go into the email folder before it will search for new mail on the server?

Thank you in advance!
    03-23-10 07:25 PM
    You will get the emails instantly with the MS Exchange, I have my gmail acct setup with it... they will arrive on my iPhone seconds before they do my MacBook lol
    03-23-10 08:19 PM
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Darrick, I do agree with you in regards to it cant touch to bb with texting etc.. But my situation is this, i am a small business owner and each day i spend more and more time out of the office and i would like to have my calendar etc. sync straight to my device, with blackberry i cant do that unless i spend thousands of dollars for BES which i considering pointless because i can get it free on Iphone or Winmo.

I do know BES Express is available and i have tried installing and it seems like its to much trouble than what its work and it would just be easier and quicker to get a new phone.
    03-23-10 08:23 PM
    getting sick of the blackberry eh? if i were you i would go to android.
    03-23-10 08:24 PM
    getting sick of the blackberry eh? if i were you i would go to android.
    Its not so much the fact that im getting sick of it, i do enjoy it and it is a great device, but for business, i just cant see the point in dishing out all that money for BES when i can get the same service on another device for free.

I am also actually even considering some sort of HTC.
    03-23-10 08:26 PM
    yeah the blackberry sucks. you should get the htc incredible it really will be incredible.
    03-23-10 08:28 PM
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Darrick, I do agree with you in regards to it cant touch to bb with texting etc.. But my situation is this, i am a small business owner and each day i spend more and more time out of the office and i would like to have my calendar etc. sync straight to my device, with blackberry i cant do that unless i spend thousands of dollars for BES which i considering pointless because i can get it free on Iphone or Winmo.

I do know BES Express is available and i have tried installing and it seems like its to much trouble than what its work and it would just be easier and quicker to get a new phone.
    I travel A LOT 75-80,000 mi a year... and the # of business people I seen either carrying an iPhone or BB is about 50/50 now.. I'm personally seeing a lot more iPhones in the business realm... and if it's any consideration i'm also a small business owner, and I had 4 bb's storm2, tour, curve 2 and storm1 and have since switched to all iPhones and I can honestly say we're much happier, although we do miss bbm a little, but we've gotten over it

Hope this helps too
    03-23-10 08:32 PM
    I travel A LOT 75-80,000 mi a year... and the # of business people I seen either carrying an iPhone or BB is about 50/50 now.. I'm personally seeing a lot more iPhones in the business realm... and if it's any consideration i'm also a small business owner, and I had 4 bb's storm2, tour, curve 2 and storm1 and have since switched to all iPhones and I can honestly say we're much happier, although we do miss bbm a little, but we've gotten over it

Hope this helps too
    Thanks for that! Yes BBM is something i would also miss, the practicality of it. But I do think that for small businesses Iphones are the better option than Blackberry. Dont get me wrong blackberry lovers, maybe in big corporations the Iphone doesn't compare but when you weigh out differences for small business/personal.. the Iphone is the choice i would make.
    03-23-10 08:35 PM
    I use a 9700. There's a new 3gs on my desk and I put my sim in it every other day. I really wanna love it cause it's just so bloody cool but I end up putting my sim back into my 9700 a few hours later. I think a notification light and push would put me into the iphone for good. Maybe we'll get a notification light on the 4g but push????...... That's BB's territory. I'd love it on the iphone.
    Just my personal experience. .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 09:56 PM
    I text much faster on iphone than any full qwerty bb i have ever owned.
    03-23-10 10:25 PM
    I have switched to iPhone for the web interface as all of our project management is web based and the browser on the BB just wasn't friendly to that. I tried Opera, but there was too much scrolling.

Coming from a series of Blackberries that were Enterprise activated with Exchange, I have transitioned pretty well.

Pros:

1. Web usability.
    2. Typing is a dream.
    3. Apps.
    4. The phone interface is very well thought out.
    5. Stability. The unit is pretty solid. No resets (in BB that would be battery pulls)

Cons:

1. The Exchange features do not apply a reply or forward flag between the device & the desktop client, so when you reply to a message on your phone, it does not look replied to on the desktop and vice versa. That is my number one complaint.
    2. Battery life is tough. Carry a car charger and / or a battery charging device if you are a power user.
    3. Lack of multitasking.
    4. Instant messaging is not as nice. I use BeeJive with my gtalk, but it was better on the bb + the BBM was helpful.

That is it. I switched as the iPhone is helping me make money by being able to work seemlessly with my web interface to more accurately track and bill for my time.

The cons are easily outweighed by the primary functions of the web usability and the typing for me.

I looked at the Android phones too, but thought the web and typing was still better on iPhone.

BES servers are a little cumbersome to set up, but are a great tool if you are sticking with Blackberry. I have not set up their latest offering but have set up a number of Blackberry Professional Servers, biggest drawback there is BPS does not allow HTML email which was a big problem for me but like you, couldn't afford a full BES server just for that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by edward47150; 03-23-10 at 11:07 PM.
    03-23-10 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD