Ok, I'll go ahead and say it. I love my Blackberry, but I want something that has a lot of toys to play with. I'm not insulting Iphones, but it's my opinion that they have a LOT that an ADD, ADHD person can focus on. My BB is a great phone, but there are so many more apps out there I want to try that are not available. Anyway, I digress, I need to know about battery life and apps. How well does the battery hold out? Will it get by on charging every night? I've had my Torch about a year, or maybe 10 months or so, and have to charge it at least once a day, plus I plug it in every night. Of course I'm streaming music using Slacker or TuneIn radio for anywhere from 2 to 6 hours a day. Not counting internet use, emails, checking facebook and twitter, playing games and reading. Will I get better battery life or worse, or about the same?
    Secondly, someone told me that if I want to get apps to play with that I need Android. Because Apple charges for most of their apps where as the Android Market has a LOT more free apps. Yes, I'm cheap, I don't want to pay for it if I don't have to. Are there a lot of freebies out there that are interesting enough?
    I did read about the AppleCare+, so I know I will have to get that. But do they replace it with a brand new phone, or a refurbished one? I would appreciate some honest straight forward reviews.

Thanks for your input,

Chris.
    12-09-11 06:42 PM
    I had a 9800 for a while, and can tell you that both the i4 and 4S battery life is better. I am literally using my phone on the web 8 hours a day at work. I have to charge it for 20 minutes about 10am as I start at 5am, then i'm good to go until bedtime. It never drops below 35% even wth all the usage. As far as apps/games, there are a ton of freebies in the App Store, probably double what the BB store had, even most of the paid ones are only .99. I can't say about AppleCare, I've never used it. I won't keep an iPhone more than a year, which is covered my the manufacturer's warranty. Good luck, take the plunge, you'll like it.
    12-09-11 07:24 PM
    Pookie you will enjoy the iPhone beyond reason. There are enough free apps like pils said. Most of the time a paid app has a free equivalent. When you get the phone come back to this forum and ask away we are here to help the best we can. There are some good threads in here to get you started. Welcome aboard.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    12-09-11 07:30 PM
    Thanks for your replies. Still looking for as many as I can get though. Has anyone had any problems?
    12-09-11 07:56 PM
    look at my SIG...faithful blackberry user till iphone 4s dropped on sprint. made the switch and no problems what so ever. did i tell u that the battery is bettery on this iphone then any other blackberry i had? yup. go for it...take the plunge. you will not regret it. after 6 years ditched the blackberry...havent nor looked back or miss the blackberry
    12-09-11 08:07 PM
    ZERO.

12-09-11 08:25 PM
    Pookie, I'm not too much of an app/game person but I can tell you after being a bb user for over 4yrs I did not miss anything when I switched to my 4S in Nov. My battery life for example-I finally plugged in to charge today after having over 7hrs of usage with 1day 8hrs standby time with 18% of battery left.

I'd say go for the switch there are plenty of us here to help out for any questions you may have.

I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I am that I decided to make the switch when I did.
    Last edited by iPinkk; 12-09-11 at 08:43 PM.
    12-09-11 08:38 PM
    I was a loyal blackberry user for a decade. My first was the pager style that just did email and ran on a AA battery and my last BB was a 9650 Bold. I switched when the 4S came out and can't see any reason I will ever go back to BB.

From a pure business perspective, my iPhone is way, way more useful. I was just remarking to my CEO the other day that I can't believe I stuck with my BB for so long. I never thought the iPhone was a serious business tool but it is hands down way more useful than my Bold was.

Here are some use cases. A client needs me to send a fax of a signed contract but I am not in the office. No problem. He sends me the contract, I open it in Soft Sign, use my finger to sign the contract, create a PDF then use FaxORama to send it to his landline fax. This took about 2 minutes. All the apps are free.

My finance department needs me to scan my receipts so I can get my expenses reimbursed. The scanner in my office is on the fritz so I used Genius Scan to take photos of each page, convert the images to a PDF document, then email to the finance group. Again, a free app.

I've found that you can get most apps you need for free. Some do cost money but typically there is an alternative that is free. Like the scanner app I use, I looked at the paid ones but there are a bunch of free alternatives. I think you got some bad advice from your android friend.

The idea that the BB does email WAY better than anything else is a myth in my opinion. I can't tell a difference. So if the BB and iPhone tie on email, calendar, and phone, the iPhone blows the BB out of the water on everything else.

And I have a feeling that if I bought an Android I would feel the exact same way. For me, BB is just too far behind.

Can you tell I like my new phone?
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    12-09-11 09:14 PM
    I was a loyal blackberry user for a decade. My first was the pager style that just did email and ran on a AA battery and my last BB was a 9650 Bold. I switched when the 4S came out and can't see any reason I will ever go back to BB.

From a pure business perspective, my iPhone is way, way more useful. I was just remarking to my CEO the other day that I can't believe I stuck with my BB for so long. I never thought the iPhone was a serious business tool but it is hands down way more useful than my Bold was.

Here are some use cases. A client needs me to send a fax of a signed contract but I am not in the office. No problem. He sends me the contract, I open it in Soft Sign, use my finger to sign the contract, create a PDF then use FaxORama to send it to his landline fax. This took about 2 minutes. All the apps are free.

My finance department needs me to scan my receipts so I can get my expenses reimbursed. The scanner in my office is on the fritz so I used Genius Scan to take photos of each page, convert the images to a PDF document, then email to the finance group. Again, a free app.

I've found that you can get most apps you need for free. Some do cost money but typically there is an alternative that is free. Like the scanner app I use, I looked at the paid ones but there are a bunch of free alternatives. I think you got some bad advice from your android friend.

The idea that the BB does email WAY better than anything else is a myth in my opinion. I can't tell a difference. So if the BB and iPhone tie on email, calendar, and phone, the iPhone blows the BB out of the water on everything else.

And I have a feeling that if I bought an Android I would feel the exact same way. For me, BB is just too far behind.

Wow mikos, it sounds like you certainly utilize your iPhone to the fullest as a business tool

And no, we can't tell that you like it LOL.
    Last edited by iPinkk; 12-09-11 at 09:25 PM.
    12-09-11 09:19 PM
    I do appreciate the Reponses and Mikos it does sound as if you put it to the test. Is there a messaging app like bbm? Because more than likely I'll get my wife one at the same time, and I spent most of the day messaging with her. The one thing that scares me is losing my keyboard. I love my keyboard.
    12-09-11 10:03 PM
    iMessage is Apple's answer. It works across all iOS 5 devices, that includes any iPad as well. My wife has a wifi-only iPad and I message her all the time on it. You don't need a data plan for that, just access to wifi at the very least. It will work on the iPod touch as well.

You won't miss the keyboard after a while. I find the corrective text of iOS to be pretty solid. Nothing beats the BB for accuracy while typing but I would not let that prevent you from making the switch. It was my biggest holdout reason and I got over it in a day.
    12-09-11 10:43 PM
    Again, thank you all for the replies. A data plan is no problem, my wife and I both are grandfathered into unlimited plans. Another big reason I want an Iphone is to steam movies. I love Netflix and want to be able to watch a movie if I'm out and about. Anyone else use Netflix and stream movies regularly?
    12-10-11 07:02 AM
    Another thing, I was reading a facebook friends wall where she was also researching on getting the Iphone or an Android phone. Someone commented on her post about the lack of support for flash on the Iphone and noy being able to see all web content because of this. Is this an issue? Or is there a multitude of other browsers in the Appstore you can download to solve this problem?

Again yall, I really do appreciate you help.
    12-10-11 07:24 AM
    I just fired rim last month and got the 4s. I doubt I'll go back. Although battery life for me is awful even after flipping all the recommended switched. Not really an issue though as I'm always near an outlet.

Siri, IMHO, is a market changer. It's dismissed easily by others that have voice dial etc and don't know any better, but once you use it you'll see why it will ultimately change everything.

As for apps, I generally avoid free versions bc I hate ads. I already had a bunch of apps purchased for my iPad and they showed up on my 4s seamlessly after flicking one switch. Minor but impressive to this bb user!

AppleCare+ replaces the phone with a "white box" phone, which are brand new devices in plain packaging specifically for warranty purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 12-10-11 at 08:31 AM.
    12-10-11 08:28 AM

WOW. thanks. all these apps are awesome. this is very useful for me in my business field. thanx.
    12-10-11 08:54 AM
    I'm going to have to come back and get the names of these apps as well when i get my phone.

But any comments on browsing? Is there a flash issue?
    12-10-11 09:18 AM
    Flash is over rated. I rarely hit an issue.

12-10-11 12:30 PM
    Agreed, flash is a nonissue apparently even to Adobe.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    12-10-11 12:32 PM
    Flash is over rated. I rarely hit an issue.

Agreed. Mobile flash will be extinct soon LOL

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-10-11 12:33 PM
    Flash is a non-issue. If it is something you are concerned about, you can grab the Skyfire browser for $2.99 which supports flash video. I haven't run into a need for flash so far.

And as the others pointed out, flash will be dead soon. Even Adobe is moving to HTML5.

Flash is dead. Long live HTML5. | ZDNet
    12-10-11 12:43 PM
    HTML 5 is the future. I don't even care about flash and I still haven't ran into a website that I need it for. So the no flash concern is non important

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-10-11 12:45 PM
    sj do you want a wallpaper like my avi?
    12-10-11 01:36 PM
    Yes...looks nice
    12-10-11 01:42 PM
    PM me what you want it to say.
    12-10-11 01:46 PM
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11762516/sj.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11762516/sj4s.jpg

SJ here ya go if you want something different let me know
    12-10-11 02:16 PM