I've always been a die-hard BB person, but I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone when my contract is up for renewal. My bro-in-law has an iPhone & we're always good naturedly sparring about iPhone vs BB. However I have to admit its gotten hard to keep it up. Seems his phone does everything better. Yesterday at Easter dinner we were both taking pics & his were so far superior to mine I couldn't believe it.

One of the biggest things I use my phone for is email & Texts. I'm self-employed & have to be accessible to my clients at all times. I'm not interested in music, not an issue for me. I'm on the internet a LOT. I'm not sure if the iPhone would be a good fit.

A couple of questions: how much device memory does the iPhone come with? Would my media card fit in it?

Seeing that I really don't know much about the iPhone is there anything else I should be aware of before making the decision to switch.

TIA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-11 07:59 AM
    I've always been a die-hard BB person, but I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone when my contract is up for renewal. My bro-in-law has an iPhone & we're always good naturedly sparring about iPhone vs BB. However I have to admit its gotten hard to keep it up. Seems his phone does everything better. Yesterday at Easter dinner we were both taking pics & his were so far superior to mine I couldn't believe it.

One of the biggest things I use my phone for is email & Texts. I'm self-employed & have to be accessible to my clients at all times. I'm not interested in music, not an issue for me. I'm on the internet a LOT. I'm not sure if the iPhone would be a good fit.

A couple of questions: how much device memory does the iPhone come with? Would my media card fit in it?

Seeing that I really don't know much about the iPhone is there anything else I should be aware of before making the decision to switch.

TIA.

You cannot put a memory card in the iPhone. It comes with either 16GB or 32GB of storage of which a little over 14GB and 29GB is accessible by the user. Browsing is much more superior on the iPhone than blackberry. Even without flash it's still presents a much better experience and Safari is among the top mobile browsers.

The only thing I can really tell you is to try for yourself to see if it can work for you. Different people have different needs. I still believe that blackberry email is the fastest and definitely the most secure but I think the iPhone's email is better overall. Keep in mind that for iPhone you cannot simply add attachments (without apps) to emails as easy as blackberry. It's one of things I think they'll improve in OS 5 but it's sort of a pain sometimes. But you'd always have access to your pop email folders unlike a blackberry when only using BIS. It's full html and no truncated emails. A mobileme is a very good product to keep everything in the "cloud" and be able to manage everything from anywhere. But again, you'd have to decide which works for you. You also have to decide if you can go full touchscreen as well. I think the iPhone has by far the best touchscreen in terms of responsiveness and accuracy but if you are using a QWERTY blackberry then it may be hard to adjust. And the iOS ecosystem, though very closed is probably the best out there. Between iTunes and the app store you have means to get loads of content and support in a very mature ecosystem. That may or may not be something that means a lot to you.

I will say that the iPhone has loads of business apps that can help make life a lot easier. It's no longer a device just for play. My wife is an executive assistant and she uses apps to assist with scheduling, conference calls, trip planning, meeting minutes and transcription. And then at the end of the day she can use it for fun. So it can be just as productive as any device.

Like I said the only thing I can recommend is for you to try for yourself and decide. I'll never tell anyone which device is better for them. For me right now, the iPhone best suits my needs and that's what I'm using but a blackberry may be better for you. You really won't know unless you try it. I would say if you have the means, pick one up and give it a test drive. You would have a couple weeks before you have to return it. That should be enough time to see if it can work for you.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-25-11 at 09:01 AM.
    04-25-11 08:58 AM
    Great advice & info, thank you.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but the 16 gig and 32 gig, how does that compare with the typical device memory of the BB? I'm not real savvy on GB's, MB's, etc.

What is the iOS ecosystem?

I do a lot of email attachments, but mostly for personal use, mostly pics & stuff with my kids. I would definitely wait for iPhone5 if I do this. When is it expected to come out?

Are there any good sites where I could learn more so you don't have to keep answering my questions?

04-25-11 09:28 AM
    Like you, I am also self employed and must be accessible to my clients when out of the office. I switched to the iPhone last June and do not regret the change. I have not lost any productivity with this device and, for me, the rendering of all documents sent via email to me is so much easier to navigate on iOS. About $20.00 in apps and this thing turns into a warrior for the professional. I do have a sentimental fondness for RIM and it served me well but just had to make a move when my younger staff started showing me all of the things that the iPhone did so much better for me than the BB.

04-25-11 09:39 AM
    Great advice & info, thank you.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but the 16 gig and 32 gig, how does that compare with the typical device memory of the BB? I'm not real savvy on GB's, MB's, etc.

What is the iOS ecosystem?

I do a lot of email attachments, but mostly for personal use, mostly pics & stuff with my kids. I would definitely wait for iPhone5 if I do this. When is it expected to come out?

Are there any good sites where I could learn more so you don't have to keep answering my questions?

That memory is much more than blackberries. In order to get that memory on a blackberry you need a memory card where you cannot save apps. The entire storage on the iPhone is available to save whatever you want. When I say iOS eco system it just refers to Apple's applications and services that work together. So the app store, iTunes, Mobileme etc.... are applications and services that enhance your iOS (iPad and iPhone) experience. So basically everything you need from apps, to music to managing personal information can be found in Apple's services. With other platforms you have to go to another service to get certain services. With Apple you can go outside to get the services but you don't have to if you don't want to.

You can send pictures and stuff via attachments but it's not as simple as just adding attachments like on Blackberry or Android. There are apps that allow to send several attachments at once. So while it's not provided by the native email client there are ways to do it. Just had to mention that because I didn't want you to think that everything iPhone is perfect. And since I mentioned that, iOS notifications aren't that good. Not nearly as good as blackberry's or Android's. It's obtrusive to what you are doing on the device and there isn't a notification area in case you have emails, texts and missed calls. They come in a form of push notifications which pop up when the event happens. This is also something rumored to be address in the iOS 5 update.

And yes, you can go over to tipb.com which is a crackberry sister site that focuses on the iOS platform. The links is on the bottom of this page as well.
    04-25-11 10:36 AM
    Thank you so much, all of you. I appreciate your thoughts and insights.

04-25-11 01:39 PM
    i don't use my iPhone for media as well, but bought the 32gb for the re-sell value.

if you're not going to be concerned with having media on your device, 16gb will be more than enough. pics/videos are what take up most of the space on my device.
    04-26-11 02:01 AM
    I keep hearing that the email on BB is much better than the iPhone. Can someone tell me the difference because email and texting is very important to me? I only use Yahoo for email, it's not associated with a business or anything.
    04-27-11 10:14 AM
    where are you hearing this and what is the reasoning for it being better?

i get my email almost at the same time on my iPhone as i do on my 9700. heck, then are times i get it faster on the iPhone. i use gmail & yahoo which both push.

things i like about the iPhone email client:

• rich HTML emails
    • no truncation
    • being able to copy several pics (photo app) and then pasting them in one shot
    • ability to select multiple, non consecutive emails to delete or file
    • copying text + images to have every retain the same formatting it was copied from
    • retina display to make reading them a pleasant experience

there probably more reasons, but those are the first ones that come to mind.
    04-27-11 01:11 PM
    And if you're using an address that can be used as an Exchange account, it's going
    to be pushed instantly as well.
    04-27-11 02:35 PM
    If you're using a GMail or Google Apps account, you'll get your email, instantly. Same goes for Calendar items, and Contacts, too...
    04-27-11 03:24 PM
    Thanks, guys that's what I needed to know. There was a thread discussing the two and someone said the iPhone email wasn't as good as bb because it doesn't give you notification that pops up, doesn't coordinate the mail & texts, too, btw.

04-28-11 12:23 AM
    Another thing in my opinion that makes iPhone email better is having access to all your folders on your email accounts. This is an important feature for me because I actually have several folders on both my email accounts and I file my emails account. So being able to navigate through my folders is huge for me. With blackeberry you can only do that on BES. So if you needed something in those folders you'd have to get to a computer or something. Just another feature I thought was important enough to mention.
    04-29-11 06:47 PM
    That's good to know. I have the same thing going on. I file a lot of my emails into folders & those are inaccessible on my BB.

04-29-11 06:50 PM
    I just switched to the iPhone. I really like it. The OS is really simple, but the gaming is unreal. And the apps are of the highest quality. I was able to sync my contacts and calendar just like I did on my Android and BlackBerry devices. Right now, it's doing everything that I want it to. The keyboard is super easy to text on. Took me less than a couple of days to get used to it.

05-03-11 08:24 PM
    That's good to know, esp about using the keyboard.

05-03-11 09:58 PM
    Doesn't the fact that when you type don't you have to look and it makes it hard to text and do other things at the same time make it hard? Or do you type ok?
    05-03-11 11:37 PM
    Doesn't the fact that when you type don't you have to look and it makes it hard to text and do other things at the same time make it hard? Or do you type ok?
    i hope you aren't referring to driving... =P

but in all honesty, i can type pretty good without looking much and still end up typing what i want. the autocorrect feature is unmatched.
    05-03-11 11:44 PM
    Ru guys talking about the BB or the iPhone now? I'm confusded.

05-03-11 11:46 PM
    Ru guys talking about the BB or the iPhone now? I'm confusded.

he was referring to the iPhone being hard to type on and still be able to do other tasks w/o needing to concentrate on looking at the keyboard vs. using a bb with physical keys.
    05-03-11 11:48 PM
    I see. My fingers get kind of sore sometimes, though, from the BB keyboard. I was kinda hoping the iPhone wouldn't be like that for me.

05-03-11 11:58 PM
    Really it is just like typing on any keyboard. Use it enough and you will learn to type on it without looking at the keys.

05-04-11 06:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD