I have the 8830 from Verizon and I am thinking about getting an iPhone. I have liked them since they came out, but work has VZW. The only issue I face now is that my contract doesn't end until 2010. I really don't want my business to have to eat that money to end a contract. The VP is going to see what he can do. I could always offer to pay the fee to break the contract - :P

I have read the pros and cons of the phone and iPhone vs. Blackberry. I just seem to enjoy it more.

Any ideas how to switch and not get hit with a cancellation fee?
    08-12-08 09:16 AM
    Honestly, unless Verizon has breached their end of the contract somehow, you are stuck. You just need to decide if the iPhone is worth the switch foryou. I would really take a look at ATT's coverage for your area - I know quite a few people all over the US who have nothing but issues with ATT. However, there are people who swear by that carrier and would never switch. It's all just a personal preference.
    08-12-08 09:22 AM
    Honestly, unless Verizon has breached their end of the contract somehow, you are stuck. You just need to decide if the iPhone is worth the switch foryou. I would really take a look at ATT's coverage for your area - I know quite a few people all over the US who have nothing but issues with ATT. However, there are people who swear by that carrier and would never switch. It's all just a personal preference.
    I live in NoVA (Near D.C.). There are no problems with 3G here - :P

I'm talking with work and they are trying to figure something out. The President and VP have iPhones - :P
    08-12-08 09:31 AM
    Well, if your company has a large account with Verizon as many corporate offices do, you may be able to work out a deal with them just to terminate your one line. Do not quote me on this, but I know that my father's company uses Nextel, and they get "special treatment" on a lot of things.

If you really want the iPhone that badly, it may be worth paying the ETF. For example: I want the Thunder/Storn, however I will not be eligible for an upgrade. I am, however, fully prepared to pay retail for the phone. You may want to consider how much the iPhone is worth to you.
    08-12-08 09:35 AM
    Yeah they are trying to figure something out. I know they sometimes do things when you have a business account. Maybe I can offer to pay the ETF?
    08-12-08 09:39 AM
    If the iPhone is worth paying the ETF and the price of the phone, and you can afford it, I say why not. Life is short, and we all work hard for the things we want.
    08-12-08 09:43 AM
    If the iPhone is worth paying the ETF and the price of the phone, and you can afford it, I say why not. Life is short, and we all work hard for the things we want.
    Work is going to try and shift the phone to another phone, but people have upgraded recently.

I suggested we sell the BB 8830 on Ebay to pay the ETF - :P
    08-12-08 09:50 AM
    Wow you really hate your BB huh?

Be wary when selling your device as a corporate phone - always remember that you need to remove the IT policy before selling it, as common courtesy.
    08-12-08 09:51 AM
    Wow you really hate your BB huh?

Be wary when selling your device as a corporate phone - always remember that you need to remove the IT policy before selling it, as common courtesy.
    I like technology to much - :P

It's on a BIS, we are a small company so no BES. I will just install the latest OS from VZW and be good to go.

I do like the BB, just don't like how VZW cripples things on it.

I also prefer Touchscreens. I found that out after getting the BB. I could wait for the Thunder, but I'm impatient -
    08-12-08 09:53 AM
    Don't forget, theres always unlocking the iphone which adds so much more fun and usefulness to the phone as well as the possibility to be on any carrier with a sim card!
    08-12-08 02:21 PM
    I switched from VZW to ATT for iPhone 3g. I waited to sell my Berry until i was sure of my iPhone purchase, and was surprised to find out my ETF was only 140 and then after all the credit of paying a month ahead it was only 89.10!! I sold my berry with all accessories for 175 on ebay and that more than covered the ETF

WOOHOOO i made out...except for my first iPhone bill 248!! LOL because they also charge you a month ahead.
    08-12-08 05:24 PM
    After canceling (porting), I would sell the 8830 on craigslist (fastest way to get the $$$) You can get enough to cover the ETF and more. Depending on the condition, if good, I would say, $250-$300.
    08-12-08 10:28 PM
    After canceling (porting), I would sell the 8830 on craigslist (fastest way to get the $$$) You can get enough to cover the ETF and more. Depending on the condition, if good, I would say, $250-$300.
    I just have to convince my company to let me sell it - :P

I dropped it once and the outside case has some damage too it, but not much.

Why would someone pay 250-300 for it when you can now get it for what 150 with a 2 year contract with VZW? (Unless you don't want the contract)
    08-13-08 10:24 AM

Why would someone pay 250-300 for it when you can now get it for what 150 with a 2 year contract with VZW? (Unless you don't want the contract)
    This is the exact reason why they would pay that much (undamaged) because of the no contract pricing. With damage, I saw about $200. Also a lot of people are already on contracts and lost their devices. You the retail value for Verizon phones are one of the highest along with Sprint (CDMA carriers)
    08-13-08 10:48 AM
    You still need a contract though, right? I mean the phones are subsidized if I get a contract but if I buy an unlocked phone I'd still wind up paying the same rate with a non-subsidized phone.

Just seems weird to me.
    08-13-08 12:35 PM

It is down to $99 now...I know. I bought my Curve from Alltel for $250!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 08:25 PM
    You still need a contract though, right? I mean the phones are subsidized if I get a contract but if I buy an unlocked phone I'd still wind up paying the same rate with a non-subsidized phone.

Just seems weird to me.

No... if you don't buy a phone from an outside source, your contract isn't extended.
    08-16-08 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD