iPhone has the apps and capabilities, but not the security...So it really depends on what type of business you're in and how confidential your info is.
    06-15-09 04:53 PM
    In fact the latest major review of smartphones security rated the BlackBerrys at 16 out of 16 and the iPhone as only 6 or 7 out of 16. Heck, even WinMo devices scored 10 or 11 out of 16, so that means the iPhone was dead last of the 3 major choices here in the US.

I think the onboard encryption of the new 3.0 software and iPhone 3G S will help, but it's just not as secure all around. Also, the way the iPhone web browser works it will never be as secure as the BB either.

The flip side of that is that when you use 3rd party web browsers like Bolt on your BB's you have less security than the BB native browser.

I think we're seeing most of these manufacturers converge as much as possible.
    Technology Review: iPhone Hackers Get a Break
    06-16-09 09:48 AM
    Read the rest here.
    So....did you have a question about a Blackberry or a problem that needs solving?

All I see is you trying to bash Blackberry. What is the point?

There are plenty of ifone fanboi sites out there you can go to and talk about the supposed superiority of the iphony...take it over there...
    06-16-09 04:26 PM
    I think the BB version is missing street view and maybe some others, but I haven't used Gmaps for the BB in years.
    I use Google Maps on my Bold all the time and it works great. The newest version does have Street View and Latitude as well. I love it and it is very easy to use.

The author of the original article obviously did not even try to learn the shortcuts on the BB. There are several different ways to do everything on the BB and they did it all the hard way apparently...
    06-16-09 04:30 PM
    Read the rest here.
    So much wind and you have NO idea what the HECK you are talking about.

Try asking any Exchange admin which they prefer. Can you manage and deploy an iPhone easily from the Server... answer NO.

Can you delpoy an iPhone without having to even touch it...answer NO.

Those 2 things ALONE (not to mention the many more I can come up with) render your iPhone CRAP in the corporate world. End of story. Go Away.
    06-17-09 07:08 PM
    I use Google Maps on my Bold all the time and it works great. The newest version does have Street View and Latitude as well. I love it and it is very easy to use.

The author of the original article obviously did not even try to learn the shortcuts on the BB. There are several different ways to do everything on the BB and they did it all the hard way apparently...
    Oh wow... I thought that Street View didn't work because when I zoomed all the way in, it wouldn't go to Street View automatically like in full Google Maps.

You saying what you did prompted me to actually read the Help file and I figured it out! Thanks!
    06-17-09 11:37 PM
    I now know of 2 large companies that are ditching BB for the iPhone for everyone except Senior execs. My company will more than likely do the same this year. The primary reason for this that the iPhone works with exchange without requiring a proprietary 3rd party app on the server and a BES admin role to manage it. the cost can no longer be justified with alot of my clients, and they are not small.

BIS, has been deemed unacceptable since you have to store your email credentials which are usually the same as your enterprise credentials on a 3rd party system, which even though RIM is secure, still poses a risk to enterprise data. Email truncation and downloading large attatchments are a major concern as well. A 5MB limit in 2009 is laughable...........
    another genius whose post is replete with misinformation. Thank GOD you dont work for me.
    Last edited by Proxis; 06-18-09 at 11:10 PM.
    06-18-09 11:07 PM
    ....its all based on preference really because the palm pre isnt all that great but is a much better multi touch touch screen phone than the iphone, i could could go on and on but what im saying is this guy lied about alot of things because hes an iphone fan hating on bb's its that simple.

and i completely agree with Gt and zip this guy is just severely uninformed.

Maybe as misinformed as you are... The touch being better? I have both and that isn't even close to the case. Only thing I see the pre has is "Synergy" (and that's if you want all your convos: IM/SMS/MMS/Email; all in one) and background processes. Everything is is a wannabe iPhone and BlackBerry. We will call this new child the iBerry.
    06-19-09 08:32 AM
    So....did you have a question about a Blackberry or a problem that needs solving?

All I see is you trying to bash Blackberry. What is the point?

There are plenty of ifone fanboi sites out there you can go to and talk about the supposed superiority of the iphony...take it over there...
    Hey genius, I didn't write the article.. educate yourself before you look like a fool! Hey Weemdog what is the name of this specific forum.. lets see how intelligent you are. Hint you ARE in the iPhone 3G forum.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-20-09 at 12:13 PM.
    06-20-09 10:33 AM
    So much wind and you have NO idea what the HECK you are talking about.

Try asking any Exchange admin which they prefer. Can you manage and deploy an iPhone easily from the Server... answer NO.

Can you delpoy an iPhone without having to even touch it...answer NO.

Those 2 things ALONE (not to mention the many more I can come up with) render your iPhone CRAP in the corporate world. End of story. Go Away.
    Look above, I didn't write the F'n story. I was just posting someone else's (that means not me hahahaha) valid thoughts, stop getting your thong panties in a bunch. This coming from a POS Storm user at best.. geez people and you supposedly run a company.. I wonder how successful it is with you assuming things so quickly.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-20-09 at 10:46 AM.
    06-20-09 10:35 AM
    Galen Gruman wrote the article for the ******* who ASSume.
    06-20-09 10:42 AM
    I don't doubt that the iPhone could probably perform comparably in my work environment, if it weren't for two problems: it was already tested and rejected by my employer due to security gaps that were deemed unacceptable (I don't know the details of it, I don't work in IT); and we use Lotus.
    06-30-09 02:06 AM
    this article is pure joke..

from a IT perspective the control you have over a iPhone is a joke compared to a blackberry device..

he said he didn't like the email client tell him to add 5 email addresses to his device then ask him how he likes it...

like honestly a person who doesn't know much about smartphones shouldn't take on a giant like this...

from a IT perspective I have watched the iPhone get laughed at for its behind the scene things..

now while I consider it to be a good device for people who want one I can't agree on anything from the administration side of thing.

blackberry is a lights world ahead in the business department over the iPhone right now...

now while even myself will admit that they are making headway in certain departments they have a big wall to climb in this one..

I don't bash the iPhone for what its good at but this is one area that its gotta a ton of work to do.. put it this way when have you heard of a blackberry being jailbroken nuff said.
    06-30-09 05:08 AM
    Maybe as misinformed as you are... The touch being better? I have both and that isn't even close to the case. Only thing I see the pre has is "Synergy" (and that's if you want all your convos: IM/SMS/MMS/Email; all in one) and background processes. Everything is is a wannabe iPhone and BlackBerry. We will call this new child the iBerry.

the pre isn't to bad neither is the iPhone is perspective but being able to run multiple applications would be a huge plus on the iPhone I will tell you that..

but from a security standpoint right now no smartphone beats a berry and security is the number one IT departments talk about..

company's have a right to control there data as people sign that form when they get hired this is a area that apple isn't close to nor is the pre

sorry got a little off your post but I am really just laughing at the article
    06-30-09 05:17 AM

I think some of his complaints is having to learn all of this. Whereas the iPhone is self explanatory for most of its functions.
    06-30-09 07:50 AM
    I think some of his complaints is having to learn all of this. Whereas the iPhone is self explanatory for most of its functions.
    That's because the iPhone has the most user friendly OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 11:23 AM
    That's because the iPhone has the most user friendly OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have used the Iphone for a month, and then i switched back to blackberry, the reason being, i was working most of the time at the construction site as Field Manager, and I have to make a lot of phone calls and SMS to a lot of people involved in the project. I was so frustrated with the interface, anytime i have to scroll for contacts with my all thumb fingers I found it difficult to find the contact by scrolling when I was in hurry to make that phone call.
    Or even when trying to do text message, imagine my frustration i can't type too fast on the on screen keyboard, with my hands sometimes dirty with mud or grease.
    Another thing is, it is a construction site, and the Iphone is so pretty, and i dont think it is made to be in that kind of environment. Imagine I dropped it, or got scratch or when I need to pick up an incoming call with my muddy finger. It just not made for me.

I got to give it to Iphone for the good looking design and interface, if I wasn't in construction, and in office environment where it's airconed, wearing a suit and tie, i would probably still keep it. But too bad i was in construction site, and Blackberry was definitely the right choice at the moment.

But that's only my personal oppinion based on my experience.
    06-30-09 09:18 PM
    Thank you for the translation.
    that was too FUNNY! hahahaha
    07-04-09 03:32 PM
    I have used the Iphone for a month, and then i switched back to blackberry, the reason being, i was working most of the time at the construction site as Field Manager, and I have to make a lot of phone calls and SMS to a lot of people involved in the project. I was so frustrated with the interface, anytime i have to scroll for contacts with my all thumb fingers I found it difficult to find the contact by scrolling when I was in hurry to make that phone call.
    Your right on the money. The 9530 takes care of the business end, the iPhone takes away the bordem.

I am so smartphone oldskool that I owned an IBM Simon. I have used virtually every business aspect of a smartphones' abilities in many careers for years, including IT. I would never consider using my iPhone as a business phone, until Apple makes it one. I would never get anything done. Apple can do or say what it wants, but until they create an iPhone for business it will never be embraced by the business world, period.
    Last edited by jbdale; 07-04-09 at 03:53 PM.
    07-04-09 03:51 PM
    I would never consider using my iPhone as a business phone, until Apple makes it one. I would never get anything done. Apple can do or say what it wants, but until they create an iPhone for business it will never be embraced by the business world, period.
    Please do tell what it doesnt do "business?"

-Push email
    -Docs 2 Go
    - all PDA functions
    -remote desktop
    - etc etc etc

So please do name one thing how the iphone cant be used for "business." If you dont like it, great, but dont go spreading hogwash about something you obviously dont h ave a clue on.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-04-09 at 05:03 PM.
    07-04-09 05:00 PM

-Push email
    -Docs 2 Go
    - all PDA functions
    -remote desktop
    - etc etc etc

So please do name one thing how the iphone cant be used for "business." If you dont like it, great, but dont go spreading hogwash about something you obviously dont h ave a clue on.
    People forget that the iPhone does have business functionality. They think that just because it plays games and media better than a BB that it can't do business as well.

"Making million dollar deals from my iPhone"- Lil Wayne. I guess he knows you can.
    07-04-09 05:09 PM
    Of course, let them hate and sound stupid, but theyre just obviously ill-informed about the facts or do not want to hear them.

The iphone can do EVERYTHING (outside of BBM obviously) that a Blackberry can do "business"
    07-04-09 05:11 PM
    Maybe a stupid question, but how does the iphone compare to BB's with single handed operation?

I play with both devices at the bestbuy and I find the iphone clumsy with one handed operation. it could be me though..maybe the experienced iphones users can let me know.
    07-04-09 06:38 PM

-Push email
    -Docs 2 Go
    - all PDA functions
    -remote desktop
    - etc etc etc

Its not about what the iphone can't do.

It's about cost..

Does the iphone not use a lot more data?
    Internationally the iphone roaming would much more costly.

Another reason I would never give my employees an iphone is because of all the potential goofing off as well. Maybe the browser is too good.
    07-04-09 06:47 PM
    The iphone can do EVERYTHING (outside of BBM obviously) that a Blackberry can do "business"
    Right! EVERYTHING...

Support two-factor authentication? Kinda sorta, locally stored PKI certs, more or less. Smartcards/access tokens? No.

Support in-house software? Maybe, if you want to jailbreak or if Apple approves.

Protect its data when physically compromised? Maybe, no one is really sure how the encryption keys are managed and remote wipe is useless.

Support for remote version controls, separation of personal/professional space, policy management, integrity checks? Um... no, what, sorta, and what?

Support for distributed task/project management? I know, artistic Mac types aren't big into menial things like "tasks."

I have to assume that network file shares can be accessed, all the better with permissions beyond "Everyone/World," but I've yet to find anyone that knows how to go about this... so maybe it's out there.

This doesn't mean the iphone is dead for business, just don't be deluded into thinking that it can do anything that the BB can do.

Don't underestimate the value of being able to email specs to your IT team for some functionality that you need, they put it together and push it out you and your teams' phones.
    07-04-09 07:12 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD