i think this should have been what do iphone users miss about their BB because i think going touchscreen vs. touchscreen the iphone wins but compared to a BB with a qwerty keyboard theres more to miss. lol
    07-18-09 11:00 AM
    why would you miss anything on a storm whey you got an iphone 3gs?
    07-18-09 11:17 AM
    Anyone miss the fact that the BB is considered a business phone and the iphone mostly a fun fashion phone? Do you sheepishly pull your iphone out at the office or do you whip it out with confidence? Do you like being part of a social phenomenon? Do you hate being thought of as part of that group of Apple fanboys that consider the iphone the gadget that defines them?
    Before anyone yells Troll, I'm actually very close to purchasing the iphone. I want the iphone but I hate it at the same time if that makes sense.
    07-18-09 01:01 PM
    Anyone miss the fact that the BB is considered a business phone and the iphone mostly a fun fashion phone? Do you sheepishly pull your iphone out at the office or do you whip it out with confidence? Do you like being part of a social phenomenon? Do you hate being thought of as part of that group of Apple fanboys that consider the iphone the gadget that defines them?
    Before anyone yells Troll, I'm actually very close to purchasing the iphone. I want the iphone but I hate it at the same time if that makes sense.
    nah, i can accomplish more on my iPhone than i ever could on my Storm. And everyone in my office has iPhones. You would not hate the iPhone at all if you had one i promise. Its vastly superior to the 9530.. And i dont mind being an apple fanboy, it doesnt bother me because at the end of the day, FOR ME, the perfect and best device on the market is an iPhone 3GS so i fully support it. Now go get one and quit yo *******!!!! lol
    07-18-09 02:41 PM
    Anyone miss the fact that the BB is considered a business phone and the iphone mostly a fun fashion phone?
    According to BB users. The iPhone is used by business people every day.

Do you sheepishly pull your iphone out at the office or do you whip it out with confidence?
    Whip it out with confidence. Why not? It works so damn well.

Do you like being part of a social phenomenon?
    It's kinda of creepy, but I love the phone.

Do you hate being thought of as part of that group of Apple fanboys that consider the iphone the gadget that defines them?
    It's funny that once you own an iPhone, people automatically think you are an Apple fanboy. I am no Apple fanboy, I do own the iPhone, iPod Touch and a MacBook though. I also own a Bold and have an unbiased perspective of both worlds (at least on this forum) and know the pros and cons of both devices.

Troll!!! jk I understand exactly what you mean by hating it and wanting it at the same time. I would just get it, and see which side wins.
    07-18-09 03:32 PM
    If one goes back and reads some od my threads about the iPhone, you would see I really didn't like it. I bought one and within a month the OS failed and I was presented with a replacement. That experiance kind of left me saying, "wait, all of the hate about the Storm being a POS, I never once had a problem with it, let along replace it." But, I take a lot back of what I said about it. It truly is a fantastic device. But I won't go so far as to say it's better than the Storm. In many aspects it is, but there are many things that I wish it had that the Storm has.
    07-19-09 08:54 AM
    1) Being able to sort for unread mail
    2) Multiple signatures
    3) Discrete control over notifications (i.e. vibe, volume, etc)
    4) Notification light

Aside from that, I'm pretty much digging the iPhone.
    07-19-09 09:45 AM
    1) being able to stream pandora or slacker while doing everything else (this has been my only gripe as far as multitasking is concerned)
    2) quicklaunch (yes I use spotlight but miss the little window lol)
    3) being on my family's plan thru verizon (I decided to take a step towards adult hood with this phone by taking on my own bill....which is ironic since according to some on cb this is an iToy :P)

As far as my overall experience with the phone and everyday use, and considering those r the only things I miss I'm pretty sure I'm ok with my decision. I love this thing!
    07-19-09 11:07 AM
    I don't want to hijack this forum, but the newly arrived 3GS has, pretty much squashed my dislike for the shortcommings for the iPhone. I say pretty much because there are still a few things that I know I will miss if I switch.

The first and most obvious thing would be the multi-tasking. As everyone here has said, that is a great thing to have. The push notifications are great, but they just aren't the same...

And the other thing that rubs me the wrong way is the lack of an auto text option on the phone. All of the BlackBerrys I've owened have had an auto text option where I could set up an automatic substitution when typing. I use this every day. I've set certain things to sub, such as:

1. "n" for the word "and"
    2. "b" for "be"
    3. "ur" for "your"
    4. "ure" for "you're"
    And other acronyms that I use constantly since I work for the government. Everything we do is broken down into acronyms and other contrActions that the phone doesn't recognize.

I've read that you can type, backspace, then re-type a word several times and the phone will remember what you want, but that just seems asinine.

Call it lazy, but I call it convenient. And isn't that what the iPhone was designed for?
    07-19-09 02:33 PM
    I don't want to hijack this forum, but the newly arrived 3GS has, pretty much squashed my dislike for the shortcommings for the iPhone. I say pretty much because there are still a few things that I know I will miss if I switch.

The first and most obvious thing would be the multi-tasking. As everyone here has said, that is a great thing to have. The push notifications are great, but they just aren't the same...

And the other thing that rubs me the wrong way is the lack of an auto text option on the phone. All of the BlackBerrys I've owened have had an auto text option where I could set up an automatic substitution when typing. I use this every day. I've set certain things to sub, such as:

1. "n" for the word "and"
    2. "b" for "be"
    3. "ur" for "your"
    4. "ure" for "you're"
    And other acronyms that I use constantly since I work for the government. Everything we do is broken down into acronyms and other contrActions that the phone doesn't recognize.

I've read that you can type, backspace, then re-type a word several times and the phone will remember what you want, but that just seems asinine.

Call it lazy, but I call it convenient. And isn't that what the iPhone was designed for?
    On the iphone i can type so much quicker than i could on the storm, that acronyms are not needed! lol i agree that would be nice but in all seriousness, ive had my 3GS since the weekend they came out and it has pretty well learned everything i want to type. i LOVE typing as fast as i possibly can move my fingers, missing some letters, and seeing my iphone correct them as i go and keep up like im slower than christmas. i truely can type on my iphone as fast as i can humanly move my fingers. basically i can FLY on this keyboard.. and i need to i send over 100 txts a day.

-SO, one thing i absolutely do not miss about my Storm, was the unresponsive and hard to click screen. and the terrible speed i encountered while typing with it, even after fixing it with the dot trick
    07-20-09 08:48 AM
    1) being able to stream pandora or slacker while doing everything else (this has been my only gripe as far as multitasking is concerned)
    2) quicklaunch (yes I use spotlight but miss the little window lol)
    3) being on my family's plan thru verizon (I decided to take a step towards adult hood with this phone by taking on my own bill....which is ironic since according to some on cb this is an iToy :P)

As far as my overall experience with the phone and everyday use, and considering those r the only things I miss I'm pretty sure I'm ok with my decision. I love this thing!
    Jailbreak it and download backgrounder. i listen to pandora pretty much al day everyday on my phone. its awesome. And i got lucky my entire family decided that we all wanted iPhones so we all switched together. we have 4 iphones and 3 regular phones on our plan i think?
    07-20-09 08:50 AM
    If one goes back and reads some od my threads about the iPhone, you would see I really didn't like it. I bought one and within a month the OS failed and I was presented with a replacement. That experiance kind of left me saying, "wait, all of the hate about the Storm being a POS, I never once had a problem with it, let along replace it." But, I take a lot back of what I said about it. It truly is a fantastic device. But I won't go so far as to say it's better than the Storm. In many aspects it is, but there are many things that I wish it had that the Storm has.
    This is funny, because I, along with many others on this forum, have had to replace our storms multiple times because of problems. I went through 3 storms, and the phone still had major hardware(screen) and software (OS in its entirety) issues. I got an iPhone 3G and it was absolutely flawless then upgraded to a 3GS less than a month after, and it is even better. Sorry you had a bad experience with Apple, at least they replaced it there is a reason they score so high in customer satisfaction!
    07-20-09 08:54 AM
    It just goes to show that any device has problems, including the all mighty iPhone. I can honestly say, that along with the iPhone, if I owned the Storm (it's my work phone) that had a problem(s); I would not allow Verizon to keep giving me replacements. One replacement is my limit. If this iPhone fails again, I won't be giving Apple a 3rd chance, I am not a patient person. If you can't get it right, it's time to move on. IMO, if your accepting multiple replacements, your just throwing money away every month. Take that money and move to something else. If you do the math, a new device would ultimately pay for it itself anyway.
    Last edited by jbdale; 07-20-09 at 09:08 AM.
    07-20-09 09:04 AM
    This is funny, because I, along with many others on this forum, have had to replace our storms multiple times because of problems. I went through 3 storms, and the phone still had major hardware(screen) and software (OS in its entirety) issues. I got an iPhone 3G and it was absolutely flawless then upgraded to a 3GS less than a month after, and it is even better. Sorry you had a bad experience with Apple, at least they replaced it there is a reason they score so high in customer satisfaction!
    This is like comparing apples to oranges, The Storm is 8-9 months old, the iPhone is on its 3rd generation. I had the storm (now I have the Tour), and the storm running .151 is a completely different beast than .148 or older. Im not trying to back up the storm at all just saying in time the storm is gonna be amazing. The storm was entirely new with the surepress technology, does anybody remember how buggy the first touch screen devices were, oh god, it took some time for companies to get it down.
    07-20-09 10:50 AM
    This is like comparing apples to oranges, The Storm is 8-9 months old, the iPhone is on its 3rd generation. I had the storm (now I have the Tour), and the storm running .151 is a completely different beast than .148 or older. Im not trying to back up the storm at all just saying in time the storm is gonna be amazing. The storm was entirely new with the surepress technology, does anybody remember how buggy the first touch screen devices were, oh god, it took some time for companies to get it down.
    Who has the patients to wait that long? By the time the Storm becomes "amazing", there will mostly be something availible that is better. If this were the case, why on earth would RIM even bother coming out with a secondary device less than a year later?
    07-20-09 11:07 AM
    I don't think I would go so far as to say that the iPhone is on its 3rd generation (arguably the 3G-S would not be considered a new generation from the 3G), but the iPhone was released only about a year and a half before the Storm, which is not a long time at all. RIM is a company that has been making phones for about 10 years, and the iPhone was Apple's first foray into making phones. So you have to give them some credit for revolutionizing the industry and making RIM play copycat on a lot of features.

SurePress is a new technology for a mobile phone but it's been around for a while in a lot of other devices. Pioneer has been making in-car stereo/DVD systems with pressable screens for a while now. RIM did not invent that technology. And even if it did, it doesn't really give them a right to release a really buggy phone.
    07-20-09 11:19 AM
    The things I miss is:

The blinking LED, I find myself missing texts and emails where before I always noticed them right away.

Multitasking but not as much as I thought

Universal in-box, I hate having to switch between accounts to read emails.

The lack of a flash and zoom is a little concerning but not that bad.

And of course Verizon's coverage. So far so good but when I drive to FL later on this year I will see really how bad AT&T's coverage is.

Other than that I am perfectly happy with my iPhone.
    07-21-09 08:51 AM
    AT&Ts coverage isn't bad at all. 3G coverage could be considered "bad", as it only exists in the major metropolitan areas thus far.

Things I miss about my storm... really absolutely nothing. The email was nice, these days there are so many ways to be notified that you have email that the instant push really isn't all that necessary. Anything else that I might miss as far as customization goes I've been able to acheive through JB.

I definetely don't miss exchanging phones with Verizon every other month. I went through 4 Storms before I finally gave up. All of them had their own set of issues, ranging from network connectivity, to screen issues, to physical defects.

My wife is getting her iPhone tomorrow, and she doesnt even really like touchs screens. Thats how useful they are.
    07-21-09 10:13 AM
    I miss sure-press.....

Wait..no I don't....bahahahahha..
    07-21-09 11:12 AM
    I want to make a list of the [few] things that i actually miss from when i owned my Storm. This is only for people who have actually owned both devices at the same time. My current device is a 3GS btw. Here we go:
    - The flashing LED notification light. I LOVED this about the Storm. I get so excited when i see it turn red.
    -The solid metal battery cover. I really want the back of my iPhone to be the same aluminum that my air and pro are made of. Seems much more durable and sophisticated.
    -Verizon's coverage area. *NOTE: i dont want verizon's network, because the AT&T 3G speeds where i live are superior to big red's, however, Verizon's coverage is unbeatable.
    -BBM. I never used it THAT much, but it still is cool
    -The support/coverage/and dedication of the Crackberry forums, just specifically for the iPhone too. This place, all the Mods, and all the Members, rock.
    -Full multitasking without having to Jailbreak. I have backgrounder, so i dont care, but i know some people dont want to jailbreak their iPhone, but still miss this feature..
    *Got more*
    -MMS definetly! AT&T needs to get there act together on this one. jeez it is ridiculous. Sorry i missed that.
    -Flash for the camera too! thx mantray82, i forgot what this was for a little while lol. Why cant apple give us a flash i dont get it?
    -A decent zoom function for the camera. I have no problem with the clarity of my pictures with my iPhone, unless im more than 8 feet away from someone!! we need a real zoom.

>Thats all ive got for now, if i think of more i will add it to the list. Storm and iPhone users share your thoughts!!
    For me its the support/coverage and the LED
    07-21-09 11:30 AM
    Jailbreak it and download backgrounder. i listen to pandora pretty much al day everyday on my phone. its awesome. And i got lucky my entire family decided that we all wanted iPhones so we all switched together. we have 4 iphones and 3 regular phones on our plan i think?
    I'm scared to jailbreak it...I don't wanna mess it up...I experimented with my storm and thought it was great and all and never had a problem due to that I just don't wanna jinx myself with the near flawless experience i'm having with a normal iphone (i already had to get one replacement) and i don't wanna mess it up when its working perfectly fine! ^.^ I feel they'll allow it to do it when its ready. hopefully
    07-21-09 12:21 PM
    I'm scared to jailbreak it...I don't wanna mess it up...I experimented with my storm and thought it was great and all and never had a problem due to that I just don't wanna jinx myself with the near flawless experience i'm having with a normal iphone (i already had to get one replacement) and i don't wanna mess it up when its working perfectly fine! ^.^ I feel they'll allow it to do it when its ready. hopefully
    i dont think Apple will ever "allow" it. But jailbreaking is a very simple and very easy to reverse process. All you have to do if you get tired of the jailbreak is plug it into iTunes, and restore the iPhone to its original settings. it still will load all your apps and information from iTunes and youre back to a normal iPhone.. Plus the benefits of Jailbreaking just kick a$$ its totally worth it, at least for me... Ultimate customization, free apps, full control. It rocks.
    07-21-09 12:53 PM
    i dont think Apple will ever "allow" it. But jailbreaking is a very simple and very easy to reverse process. All you have to do if you get tired of the jailbreak is plug it into iTunes, and restore the iPhone to its original settings. it still will load all your apps and information from iTunes and youre back to a normal iPhone.. Plus the benefits of Jailbreaking just kick a$$ its totally worth it, at least for me... Ultimate customization, free apps, full control. It rocks.
    lol i meant allow multitasking i kno they'll never condone jailbreaking...idk...maybe ha ha i mite try it I'll keep ya posted. Thanx for ur input ^.^
    07-22-09 12:21 AM
    do you guys who went from blackberry to iphone miss mms? i dont understand why every other phone on at/t lineup has it but not their most capable multimedia phone.

and if you jailbreak it to work on another carrier can you then receive mms?
    07-24-09 06:30 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD