Don't take my head off people of the planet Iphone. I'm asking a genuine question here.

Do you think there will be a need for a recall? Referring to the antenna problem.

i find it hard to believe that this issue will be fixed with a software patch. What are you guys thinking/feeling? If it does happen i'm pretty sure S. Jobs will be sad about it.
    07-12-10 08:19 AM
    Bottom line is that it's a hardware issue. There is no amount of software that will fix it.

I never thought I'd want an iPhone, but the iPhone 4 is REALLY tempting me -- I seriously love the design (though I don't think I'd ever switch to AT&T for it). If I were to switch, I wouldn't until the problem is 100% resolved.

As for a recall? No, I don't think so. It's not going to cause harm to the user. It's a faulty design, they happen.

It's the perils of becoming an early adopter. There is no product that is ever 100% bug free at the time of release. If you want to buy a product the day it comes out, that's your choice -- and your problem. Most rational people will wait.
    07-12-10 08:25 AM
    I have no hardware issues to speak of, sorry.
    07-12-10 08:26 AM
    Bottom line is that it's a hardware issue. There is no amount of software that will fix it.

I never thought I'd want an iPhone, but the iPhone 4 is REALLY tempting me -- I seriously love the design (though I don't think I'd ever switch to AT&T for it). If I were to switch, I wouldn't until the problem is 100% resolved.

As for a recall? No, I don't think so. It's not going to cause harm to the user. It's a faulty design, they happen.

It's the perils of becoming an early adopter. There is no product that is ever 100% bug free at the time of release. If you want to buy a product the day it comes out, that's your choice -- and your problem. Most rational people will wait.

i definitely agree about getting the first run of a new product....via when i bought my og 9630 on release day lol.

that is what i'm saying about it being alllll hardware. But Apple may have to step up and do something this time. They were already getting beat up about signal issues before this thing dropped, which yeah it was mostly AT&T's fault but i just feel like marketing wise if they don't "try" to ease the pain there going to lose a lot of customers......either way they'll still be selling the shiz out of every product they have but ...i'm just sayin.
    07-12-10 08:29 AM
    I have no hardware issues to speak of, sorry.

i'm speaking of the New Iphone4....unless you have not updated your user device profile thingy.
    07-12-10 08:30 AM
    i'm speaking of the New Iphone4....unless you have not updated your user device profile thingy.
    I'm talking about an iPhone 4 as well lol, as in my signature.
    07-12-10 08:33 AM
    I'm talking about an iPhone 4 as well lol, as in my signature.
    my bad lol. Well thats good your not having issues. I knew it wasn't spread across ALL units. Do you have a case around yours? Just curious.
    07-12-10 08:36 AM
    my bad lol. Well thats good your not having issues. I knew it wasn't spread across ALL units. Do you have a case around yours? Just curious.
    Yes, because I like it protected...I have the bumper, but trust me I've tried it enough times without it to know my particular phone(s) don't have the problem. Obviously some do but I don't believe it's every phone as many would want to believe.

Another quick note, I have two iPhone 4's (32gb, 16gb) and neither one of them have the antenna problem.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-12-10 at 08:48 AM.
    07-12-10 08:44 AM
    well that is good then.
    07-12-10 08:49 AM
    I have a bumper on it, and my earbuds don't fit in the earphone jack..with the bumper on it. The bumper gets in the way, and it doesn't fit all the way in. That's very annoying.

I didn't anticipate NEEDING a case for this phone....not the kind that needs to stay on the phone, so it will work like it's supposed to. I do have the reception bars issue.

So, I'm still deciding if the annoyance is worth it. I'm a little over a week into this, and I just don't know. My call clarity is excellent, and I haven't had a problem with dropped calls.
    07-12-10 09:20 AM
    I have a bumper on it, and my earbuds don't fit in the earphone jack..with the bumper on it. The bumper gets in the way, and it doesn't fit all the way in. That's very annoying.

I didn't anticipate NEEDING a case for this phone....not the kind that needs to stay on the phone, so it will work like it's supposed to. I do have the reception bars issue.

So, I'm still deciding if the annoyance is worth it. I'm a little over a week into this, and I just don't know. My call clarity is excellent, and I haven't had a problem with dropped calls.
    i can see where that would be a tough decision. Especially if you really like the Iphone ui. Let us know what you end up deciding.
    07-12-10 09:24 AM
    Recalls from my understading are usually a safety concern and not so much a "defect." Seeing the way apple opperates i wouldn't thinkt that there would be one anyways, there's no re-stocking fee for those who decide to return iphone 4 within 30 days...this is as generous apple will get.
    07-12-10 09:26 AM
    Recalls from my understading are usually a safety concern and not so much a "defect." Seeing the way apple opperates i wouldn't thinkt that there would be one anyways, there's no re-stocking fee for those who decide to return iphone 4 within 30 days...this is as generous apple will get.

your probably right about that.
    07-12-10 09:29 AM
    If there was no recall on the Storm I don't see how there could be one on this LOL.

Recalls are for safety issues. Apple would pass out bumpers before they even thought about recalling all those devices.

Anyway, since Apple has already written it off by saying hold the phone differently and the phone has been overstating the correct signal strength, that doesn't warrant a recall. It just means the iPhone on AT&T has always had signal strength problems (which is why they made an antenna for the outside), hold it differently or get a bumper. I think the issue is not as bad as people want to make it sound. But that's what happens when you are the top dog. The media will give you free publicity and hype up your devices for you and they will use that same power to spread the news of any issues.

In my experience the issue wasn't severe enough to get rid of the device. If the issues are too severe for anyone they can take it back and get their money back.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-12-10 at 09:39 AM.
    07-12-10 09:36 AM
    If there was no recall on the Storm I don't see how there could be one on this LOL.

Recalls are for safety issues. Apple would pass out bumpers before they even thought about recalling all those devices.

Anyway, since Apple has already written it off by saying hold the phone differently and the phone has been overstating the correct signal strength, that doesn't warrant a recall. It just means the iPhone on AT&T has always had signal strength problems (which is why they made an antenna for the outside), hold it differently or get a bumper. I think the issue is not as bad as people want to make it sound. But that's what happens when you are the top dog. The media will give you free publicity and hype up your devices for you and they will use that same power to spread the news of any issues.

In my experience the issue wasn't severe enough to get rid of the device. If the issues are too severe for anyone they can take it back and get their money back.
    so what your saying is , "it is what it is"...
    07-12-10 09:47 AM
    Apple knows that the kind of people who would camp out in three-mile long lines, for the opportunity to get one of their phones (I was NOT one of those people) are the kind of people who will probably be fine with the "Just hold it the right way, or buy a $30 bumper from us!" response. When a company's bottom line is in jeopardy, THEN they're more willing to bend in favor of the consumer.
    07-12-10 09:53 AM
    I guess then the issue is that if you have a new Iphone and you chose not to return it within the 30 days for another one then its your own fault if you continue or develop issues regarding the antenna therefore waiving your right to be pissed and/or complain.

Personally i would be a little upset if i bought a phone that had issues and the response i got was "hold it a certain way" or ...we know you already spent a lot of time and money on our product but we're going to need you to drop 30 more bones for a bumper....
    07-12-10 09:57 AM
    I guess then the issue is that if you have a new Iphone and you chose not to return it within the 30 days for another one then its your own fault if you continue or develop issues regarding the antenna therefore waiving your right to be pissed and/or complain.

Personally i would be a little upset if i bought a phone that had issues and the response i got was "hold it a certain way" or ...we know you already spent a lot of time and money on our product but we're going to need you to drop 30 more bones for a bumper....

That's exactly it. Because Apple doesn't have to do anything about it.
    07-12-10 10:15 AM
    so what your saying is , "it is what it is"...
    I think that's all we can say at the moment. I'm not thrilled with the issues either but at the same time, take the phone back if it's really bad for you. That's just how I feel. It's a phone, not a lemon car that I bought.
    07-12-10 10:22 AM
    fair enough.
    07-12-10 10:25 AM
    Apple knows that the kind of people who would camp out in three-mile long lines, for the opportunity to get one of their phones (I was NOT one of those people) are the kind of people who will probably be fine with the "Just hold it the right way, or buy a $30 bumper from us!" response. When a company's bottom line is in jeopardy, THEN they're more willing to bend in favor of the consumer.
    On the contrary, it's probably the people who waiting in the long lines that are complaining and filing class action lawsuits. They obviously would be more upset since they feel like they wasted their time and money for these kinds of problems. Those are the overly dramatic impatient people who couldn't want for the iPhone and it's the same overly dramatic impatient characteristic that would make them so angry to file a class action lawsuit for a device that you can take back and get your money.
    07-12-10 10:25 AM
    yeah i haven't heard an update on that CA suit in a week or so i wonder how its going.
    07-12-10 10:28 AM
    yeah i haven't heard an update on that CA suit in a week or so i wonder how its going.
    Yeah...I'm curious too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 10:37 AM
    I decided to pass on the iPhone this year because of the antenae issue. I'm really bummed about it too. I'm going to buy an Android phone this time around and hope the iPhone 5 has a better design. It will be interesting to see if they scrap the external antenae for next year's model...
    07-12-10 10:45 AM
    you know before this latest one i would have gave it a try if it was to come on VZW's network...now unless they made a hardware change i can't say that i would.
    07-12-10 10:48 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD