Editorial: Taking the iPhone 3GS off the job market

Couldn't have said it better myself. No need for debate or discussion. It is what it is: the iPhone is frustrating to use and simply can't get the job done. 'nuf said.
    07-10-09 04:47 PM
    Pretty amusing. Sounds like a long-winded complaint about multitasking third party apps.

Not like that's a big secret or anything.

Mr-Engadget-Editor-in-Chief should jailbreak his phone and install Backgrounder and quit complaining =)

Gmail and the iPhone not playing well together is another ... known issue.

Apple partnered with Yahoo, not Gmail for it's Push.
    07-10-09 05:25 PM
    I have Gmail setup as imap, it pushes and works well.

sounds like the guy got an iPhone without thinking, without knowing what it does, and felt like complaining like a girl.

If I buy a Civic, I dont expect to get the speed as a Ferrari.. If I buy a Civic, I know I'm buying a Civic..

I bet the reason he felt the need to write up this *on the rag* article is because his doctor told him he has an incurable STD.

EDIT: Most of that article was bashing the network, which I agree.. AT&T is less than stellar and should be pimp slapped into oblivion into having a subpar network in metropolis cities. However, he HAD to have known that the iPhone wont multi-task, yet he still owns/uses it? Come on.. Go back to a Blackberry if you *need* 3rd party multi-tasking and stop whining.

Kinda sounds like he's starting a pissing contest with EX-Engadget writer, BoyGenius, who talked crap on the aging/disgusting looking OS on the Blackberry.
    Last edited by sniffs; 07-10-09 at 05:49 PM.
    07-10-09 05:45 PM
    Frustrating to use? What I think is frustrating is BB web browser on the bold, trying to use that thing is frustrating. Most people are not buying the phone to type papers on but to use it as a mobile browser.
    07-10-09 05:46 PM
    Editorial: Taking the iPhone 3GS off the job market

Couldn't have said it better myself. No need for debate or discussion. It is what it is: the iPhone is frustrating to use and simply can't get the job done. 'nuf said.
    Frustrating to use? You have to be technologically illiterate to believe the iPhone is frustrating to use. I don't really find no third-party app multitasking a big deal. 3GS opens apps quick enough.

It can get the job done, it needs the right user.
    07-10-09 05:51 PM
    Frustrating to use? You have to be technologically illiterate to believe the iPhone is frustrating to use. I don't really find no third-party app multitasking a big deal. 3GS opens apps quick enough.

It can get the job done, it needs the right user.
    ^^

QFT

10char
    07-10-09 05:54 PM
    If the iPhone is frustrating to use why is it the industries highest rated device by every publication and survey out there.
    07-10-09 06:01 PM
    Exactly endadget is just stupid here. If it was so hard to use it wouldnt be the highest selling device EVER with the highest consumer satisfaction ratings.

I think "nuff said" is the OP trolling to get a reaction in the iphone section.

Let's look at how BB does email over BIS, oh yeh BASIC push-featureless. Browser? Pretty poor. Apps? Few in comparison and 2x or more the cost. Gmail on the BB? No folders and poor IMAP integration at best...
    07-10-09 08:03 PM
    You guys fight to the death of this iPhone, and yet most flamed the storm owners for defending their property. Take the article with a grain of salt if you don't agree, while others (like myself and engadget) do agree.
    07-10-09 08:06 PM
    The only things he complained about were the network which is not the iPhone's fault and the lack of multi-tasking.

Every one of my doctors offers free WIFI, so I can't say I relate and multi-tasking isn't a problem for me either. backgrounder FTW
    07-10-09 08:12 PM
    You guys fight to the death of this iPhone, and yet most flamed the storm owners for defending their property. Take the article with a grain of salt if you don't agree, while others (like myself and engadget) do agree.
    You, and Engadget, are certainly entitled to your opinions, though you'll both be in a very small minority.

It appears he would have had a similar experience with the keyboard on the Storm. He just can't use a touch screen.

There are many millions more users of the iPhone in its three variations that are quite content with the device. To think that none are business users that have adapted to the lack of multitasking is ludicrous at best. As was pointed out earlier, jailbraking is a viable option and one that has been/is being used by many.
    07-10-09 08:22 PM
    When technology websites write reviews on software they are out of the box reviews.
    You can't review the iPhone as a jailbroken the device you have to review it as an out of the box device. Out of the box it doesn't have multitasking and credit to the person that reviewed it for being professional enough to do it that way.
    This goes for phones, computers, etc. Especially if the said thing is illegal by manufacturer.
    Seems like a few of those who replied didn't read what he wrote and replied in defense more than anything.
    His comments on the keyboard weren't about it being bad simply that it's annoying that it corrects everything you type improperly. I use a lot of terms not in the dictionary and am constantly corrected. As for his inaccuracy comment he meant when he types fast on it he tends to miss keys as it is touch screen and easy to do so. When you type on keyboards buttons stick out thus it is easier to type fast.

The review was done from a business perspective. I completely and fully understand what he means. I owned a couple of websites and still do. On my Bold I could easily make posts in the browser while chatting on BB Messenger with partners and checking emails for replies, etc. However on the iPhone it is very difficult to do so and in all honesty I haven't made a single post on my blog since owning one.
    The review was from a business perspective and in all honesty was a professionally written review which provided problems and the solution to those problems.

PLEASE READ THE REVIEW. Don't jump to conclusions. If you want a honest read, read it. If you don't want to read about business related iPhone use then don't read it. But don't deter others from reading it by replying without reading it.

I don't see the review as taking a cheapshot, he isn't a fanboy of any other company, he is someone payed to test software and write honest and informing reviews. Seeing as how that website is ranked 880th on the internet and worth over $31 million dollars this isn't just your average Joe typing away. I guarantee the review has passed through Apple execs hands already. It is something used to better the phone so look at reviews like this as helpful.
    Why do iPhones still sell? Because people like me and you don't need what he is talking about and it doesn't affect us. But it's the same reason that 'more' business users choose blackberry, palm, etc.
    There's no reason to argue the article. Everything he said is non biased and true. It's just waiting for apple to fix it. If they truly have a problem with people jailbreaking their phones they would fix it.
    07-10-09 09:51 PM
    Yea because it makes sense for the editor in chief of a well known tech site to jailbreak his phone. Especially with Apple's new "stance" on jailbreaking.

If you read his article what he speaks is the truth. For a high end business user this phone is not the best choice. You shouldn't have to "pick" which email account you want to

be pushed. The smartphones were meant to make our lives easier, but not allowing multitasking is just the wrong way to go if you are trying to get into the business user market.

The iPhone is a great device, but why should you have to jailbreak/hack it to use what is readily available on most other devices.

As for the comment about the BB browser (it's been known that it sucks), but atleast it has java support (Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying "Java's not worth building in.

Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain.") and with skyfire it will have full flash , but until then

Opera or Bolt are great substitutes. If you love your iPhone that is great, but defending it saying "multitasking isn't a big issue" is pretty absurd in this day and age.

He brought up a few good points, but the one I like is "We don't work like this on our computers -- why does Apple think we want to work like this on our phones?"

You guys all multitask on your computers and guess what you don't jailbreak them to do so.

It's not a bad thing to admit the phone has flaws.. I couldn't name one that doesn't, but defending the iPhone to death is just sad (much like storm users)
    07-10-09 09:55 PM
    ^Thank you, I believed 2nd person besides OP to actually read the article. I'm a proud iPhone owner but now and even before I had one I strongly feel as if we defend this thing too much.
    07-10-09 10:07 PM
    The keyboard part makes no sense. Turn off auto correction.
    07-10-09 11:49 PM
    I think Apple is trying to break into the business market, I know there are a few major companies that use them. Obviously Apple, but Disney does as well. So there are some steps that they are going to have to make sure. Give it some time, and it'll get there.
    07-11-09 12:37 AM
    Yea because it makes sense for the editor in chief of a well known tech site to jailbreak his phone. Especially with Apple's new "stance" on jailbreaking.

If you read his article what he speaks is the truth. For a high end business user this phone is not the best choice. You shouldn't have to "pick" which email account you want to be pushed.
    Couple of key points here, he is definitely NOT a high end business user, he described his day to day activities and he simply does not exist in that realm, he might be well paid but that alone does not imply a high end role or high end responsibilities. Also, I didn't see where mentioned having to choose which email account to push. He clearly stated that he is a GMail user, I would hardly consider GMail a high end product, capable, but far from high end. Most "serious" business people are connected to an Exchange server or some enterprise equivalent in which case the iPhone's integration is among the best.

The smartphones were meant to make our lives easier, but not allowing multitasking is just the wrong way to go if you are trying to get into the business user market.

The iPhone is a great device, but why should you have to jailbreak/hack it to use what is readily available on most other devices.
    You are correct, the lack of multi-tasking is a major shortcoming for the iPhone platform, however there are many real business people who manage just fine every day without it. Should Apple have implemented it by now? Absolutely. Does it mean you can't get anything done? Absolutely not. I chose to jailbreak because I am technically savvy and can deal with the consequences if something goes wrong and jailbreaking just happened to solve my multi-tasking issue. If he must keep the iPhone and he must be able to multi-task, he is not without choices, he might not like those choices, or find them acceptable, but they exist.

As for the comment about the BB brwser (it's been known that it sucks), but atleast it has java support (Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying "Java's not worth building in.

Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain.") and with skyfire it will have full flash , but until then Opera or Bolt are great substitutes.
    Saying a phone supports Java and actually executing it properly are two different things. I can go to any relatively java intensive site on my Storm or Curve and watch my browser die a slow and painful death, sometimes taking the whole OS with it if we are talking about my Storm. BB might support it, but you will not get very far with any website containing moderately complex java or javascript for that matter. I agree that Opera is a good choice, Bolt, I still find has a few too many bugs for my liking.

If you love your iPhone that is great, but defending it saying "multitasking isn't a big issue" is pretty absurd in this day and age.
    I don't have love for any phone, it just ain't that serious for me. By this time next year, I'll have replaced at least two of the phones I have right now. If RIM gets their act together, they might be new Blackberries, if not, i'll explore other platforms as I did with the iPhone.

He brought up a few good points, but the one I like is "We don't work like this on our computers -- why does Apple think we want to work like this on our phones?"

You guys all multitask on your computers and guess what you don't jailbreak them to do so.

It's not a bad thing to admit the phone has flaws.. I couldn't name one that doesn't, but defending the iPhone to death is just sad (much like storm users)
    I don't believe he is qualfied to speak for everyone who uses a computer but he does have a point, one i'm sure will be addressed by Apple at some point. This is my 1st iPhone and it will be my last if Apple doesn't address what I think are a few critical issues with the platform. Multi-tasking being just one of those issues.

The author should explore a different platform, one that might better suit his particular needs. If he is such a high power businessman, paying an ETF to get off of a carrier he is having trouble with and buying himself a new phone that has the features he requires shouldn't be too much of a hassle. If staying with the iPhone and AT&T keeps him from being as productive as he could be, then he is doing his business a disservice by staying with the phone, not a very savvy business decision if you ask me. Plus he's a tech editor, i'm sure he knew the iPhone didn't multi-task and that AT&T's service can be questionable in some areas long before he bought an iPhone, I know I did.......
    Last edited by armedtank; 07-11-09 at 02:18 AM.
    07-11-09 02:13 AM
    I would climb a mountain to get a new iPhone instead of staying on the ground to get a free blackberry.. I have both and I have not used my BB one time since I got my new iPhone 3Gs..
    07-11-09 02:47 AM
    He is correct with the AT&T network issues and the fact that it can't multitask. Why can't Apple just let us decide if we want to kill our batteries? However, the virtual keyboard is a work of art. No other keyboard, virtual or physical, can really match the iPhone keyboard in terms of auto-correction. You can get used to the virtual keys after some practice though. But, it was a very good article to read and it was honest without bias toward another phone, specifically.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 05:51 AM

If you read his article what he speaks is the truth. For a high end business user this phone is not the best choice. You shouldn't have to "pick" which email account you want to

be pushed. The smartphones were meant to make our lives easier, but not allowing multitasking is just the wrong way to go if you are trying to get into the business user market.

As for the comment about the BB browser (it's been known that it sucks), but atleast it has java support (Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying "Java's not worth building in.

Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain.") and with skyfire it will have full flash , but until then

Opera or Bolt are great substitutes. If you love your iPhone that is great, but defending it saying "multitasking isn't a big issue" is pretty absurd in this day and age.

Even tho Jobs originally stated that the iPhone wouldn't have Java support it does. The ARM line of processors the iPhone uses (including Cortex A8 3GS) all natively support Java. Safari also natively supports javascript and can load it faster then any BB out there, WiFi or not. Using quotes from 2007 as your reference point is a mistake.
    07-11-09 08:40 AM
    Also if you read the comments on the article the author even says that he just prefers physical keyboards because that's what he normally uses. He agree'd that the iPhone keyboard would probably be better if he took the time to learn how to use it. If you read through all the comments (which you have to be really bored to do so) you'll also see he doesn't use an iPhone on a daily basis, he's an Android fan. End of story.
    07-11-09 08:42 AM
    I'm amazing at typing on my iPhones keyboard.

It's Definitely faster than on a blackberry.

Just takes a bit of time and patience to master it.
    07-11-09 11:31 AM
    I'm amazing at typing on my iPhones keyboard.

It's Definitely faster than on a blackberry.

Just takes a bit of time and patience to master it.
    Yup. I have been saying this all along, but people seem to believe it is impossible.
    Last edited by avt123; 07-11-09 at 01:32 PM.
    07-11-09 01:21 PM
    I can type faster on my iPhone, by a landslide, than anyone with a physical KB.. I've gone up against crackberry addicts in my office and would finish a paragraph by the time they finished the 2nd sentence.
    07-11-09 01:25 PM
    I can type faster than a physical keyboard because if you mess up, it will auto correct it for you. But, on a physical keyboard, most likely, you will have to backspace/delete the mistake which wastes more time.
    07-11-09 01:52 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD