"In the wake of the Flashback botnet which targeted Mac computers, Apple has removed a statement from its messages on its website that Mac operating system X (OS X) isn't susceptible to viruses.

Apple removed the previous statement "It doesn't get PC viruses" and replaced it with "It's built to be safe," and "Safeguard your data. By doing nothing" with "Safety. Built in." A comparison of the old and new messages is currently available here.

According to Sophos U.S. senior technology consultant Graham Cluley, this is a sign that Apple is starting to take security seriously. "

Read the full article here

Apple Quietly Pulls Claims of Virus Immunity | PCWorld

Now I won't have to hear the "Apple doesn't get Viruses" baloney anymore. Every system is susceptible that's the truth about technology and it's just ignorant to think otherwise.
    06-25-12 10:48 AM
    According to Sophos U.S. senior technology consultant Graham Cluley, this is a sign that Apple is starting to take security seriously. "
    Sounds more like someone in the Legal Dept. is trying to close a liability loophole... I don't see how it correlates to "taking security seriously". That's just spin to keep from saying anything too negative about Apple...
    06-25-12 11:00 AM
    Confused.... why did you post ths on the BB board as opposed to Imore??????
    06-25-12 11:14 AM
    Good Job too. Not sure the last time I ever heard anyone actually argue the point though. Maybe in 2008....

I personally don't use anti-virus on my Mac's or PC's but my habits aren't dangerous in the least & both Windows & OS-X have pretty good security built in by default.
    06-25-12 11:22 AM
    Sounds more like someone in the Legal Dept. is trying to close a liability loophole... I don't see how it correlates to "taking security seriously". That's just spin to keep from saying anything too negative about Apple...
    Agree.

Fact still remains that MY Apple hasn't had a virus to date and I don't use any antivirus software. I'm fairly careful with where I surf, but that hasn't stopped the one PC in my home from getting a virus.

Either way, whatever works for your works for me...
    06-25-12 11:53 AM
    Anyone who actually thought Macs can't get viruses is just extremely ignorant.

I have never gotten one in the 6 years I have owned Macs, and have never used anti virus software on them, but that doesn't mean they do not exist. Viruses are more common on Windows because Windows has a ridiculously higher market share.

Typed from my Windows 7 PC that is virus free.
    grover5 likes this.
    06-25-12 01:28 PM
    Anyone who actually thought Macs can't get viruses is just extremely ignorant.

I have never gotten one in the 6 years I have owned Macs, and have never used anti virus software on them, but that doesn't mean they do not exist. Viruses are more common on Windows because Windows has a ridiculously higher market share.

Typed from my Windows 7 PC that is virus free.
    I don't know anyone who still says they "can't"
    06-25-12 10:33 PM
    I don't know anyone who still says they "can't"
    Well, a week ago, Apple was saying it and I would bet a lot of their customers are still believing it
    06-25-12 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD