Now i've seen quite a few threads regarding how much AT&T 'sucks' in NYC and would like to share my personal experience...

Now first off, regarding the signal strength in my home town and where I usually go.... I would say that AT&T and Verizon are almost the same, but I would give Verizon the upper hand by a few points... my house would get about 1-2 bars of Verizon 1X signal, and AT&T gets about 0-1 bars of 3G signal, same for Edge.. with my zBoost cell repeater I get 3-4 bars of 3G throughout my house, and 2-3 of 1X as well...

Anyway, I went to the city yesterday and wanted to really test these theories out about how good the signal was... My friend has a Verizon Tour and i have the 3G[S]... While we were on our way in on the train, both phones were the exact same... I had a full 3G signal, and she had a Full 1XEV signal. Once we came into grand central, both phone went out... No service on the iphone and 'searching for service' on the Tour.... - They were the same...

Throughout the day both of us noticed one thing.... everybody in that damn city had an iPhone, and we walked past 3 AT&T stores... through the whole day I only noticed one person talking on a Verizon phone, and didn't see a verizon store...

Every building we went in, we had the same amount of signal, never actually seeing no service.

Every subway we went in though, both phones completely dropped off the network... With the occasional "0 bar but shows carrier" situation...

I dont understand, Like i said before, i see people complain about AT&T on here quite a bit, but verizon isnt better! Do verizon people complain about the signal as much at the at&t people??

Maybe its possible that there is only one person in the whole city with a verizon phone. Ha.

Am i missing something??????
    10-13-09 04:53 PM
    I personally have been on Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile while living in NYC, and really could not tell much difference between them except that T-Mobile has the worst coverage of the three. Lol. Of the three, I actually disliked the service I got from Verizon the most, and they also had the ugliest phones at the time too.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like AT&T.
    Last edited by dknyberry; 10-17-09 at 01:11 AM.
    10-13-09 06:23 PM
    Of course NYC will have great service on either carrier. I live in Maine and I guarantee your test would go quite differently in Portland. I had a Storm and switched between Verizon and my ATT sim card often. Huge difference with dropped calls and reception. ATT was terrible. I think it just depends where you live. Great test though! Thanks for reporting your results

I also prefer Verizon's customer service 100% but that's subjective.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 05:57 AM
    I can relate a similar experience.
    I have had government issued blackberries from Verizon and Sprint. I travel all over the country, and in every city I've been, AT&T usually has a bit more strength than Verizon. Sprint lags way behind.
    There is one advantage that Verizon has over AT&T - the metro. AT&T dies, Sprint sputters, and Verizon has me connected all the way.
    Having said that, I prefer AT&T. I prefer the phones. I once had an iPhone, and I currently have a Bold.
    As far as I'm concerned, and with my experience, AT&T is more reliable, with more bars in more places (gee, I sound like their commercial, but it's true!)
    10-14-09 07:32 AM
    You see those wonderful but deceiving 3G bars...now try making a call or going on a website.
    10-14-09 09:11 PM
    I always wondered about this, I never really said anything. It is surprising to me that the OP says only a couple people use Verizon, and the rest all have AT&T iPhones, and AT&T stores all around there. I also remember the video when AT&T's Blogger guy was explaining how they turned on 850 Mhz in NY and actually let me see if I can post this video here.

AT&T Multimedia Gallery

Hit the New york 1900/850 and watch that. He talks about how the tall buildings are a battle for signal.
    10-14-09 10:14 PM
    I dont understand, Like i said before, i see people complain about AT&T on here quite a bit, but verizon isnt better! Do verizon people complain about the signal as much at the at&t people??
    Yup..no matter what service provider you go to you ALWAYS have someone come in and say "i dont get any service here, but "X" company does" which is usually followed by "well maybe i should switch to them cause you suck!". I worked for at&t (back when it was Cingular), left for Verizon and now currently work for at&t yet again, haha, long story! So I've heard both sides of it. But my reason for replying is I was in NYC with my girlfriend in June, me with at&t and her with verzion and her mom with Sprint and we made calls, updated our facebooks and all that good stuff with NO problems the whole time throughout the city (minus subways). The only person complaining was her mom with Sprint hahahaha...sorry sprint users...
    10-14-09 10:43 PM
    You see those wonderful but deceiving 3G bars...now try making a call or going on a website.
    +1000

Verizon rules over AT&T when you actually try to do make calls or access the net. But the iPhone 3GS rules over all!
    10-15-09 05:28 PM
    i live in ny and i had verizon but now i have at&t and to be honest with you service to me is the same both get dropped calls once in a blue
    10-15-09 09:12 PM
    are you referring to the network being overloaded....? because i was on the phone pretty much all day.... i was using the maps app to navigate the cluster#$*^ that people usually call the subway and had no problem... made a few calls, received one saying i had got a job i interviewed for... It was a good day. Lol.
    10-16-09 09:41 AM
    I have both ATT and Verizon. My experience has ATT and VZ with equal service in all major network areas. But, when it comes to more rural areas VZ beats ATT.
    10-16-09 10:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD