Kinda on the high side, dont ya think...?

AT&T to offer iPhone insurance for $13.99/mo Boy Genius Report

One of our AT&T Ninjas just hit us up with some news that will excite those of you who have a chronic case of the dropsies and own an iPhone. AT&T will be launching a new insurance service starting June 6th, named MobileProtect, designed specifically for the Apple iPhone. The insurance plan, which will be run by Asurion, will carry a price tag of $13.99/month and will be available for purchased through Apples App Store. The charges will be billed to the credit card on file with Apple. The deductibles range from $99 for an 8GB 3G to $199 for a 32GB 3GS, which is pretty steep but not quite as steep as $699 for a new 32 GB 3GS off-contract. You must enroll in the plan within 30-days of upgrading/purchasing a new iPhone. AT&T is launching this service as: Lack of iPhone insurance is a leading source of iPhone related customer complaints. What say you? Is this a winner? We think $168/year is a pretty steep price to pay to protect your iPiece. Weve got an additional image for you after the break.
    05-28-10 03:33 PM
    That's way too expensive. Even my $6/month insurance for my Droid is expensive, not to mention the $90 deductible.
    Last edited by fearmychickens; 05-29-10 at 08:58 AM.
    05-28-10 03:38 PM
    No thanks........
    05-28-10 03:53 PM
    So if I accidentally drop my wifes iPhone in the toilet while reading USAtoday app, covered? Lol
    05-28-10 05:06 PM
    Guys do the math. $14*24 months is $336. Add in the deductible and you can get one off ebay dont he road for the same price. The $14/month you dont get back if nothing happens to the phone.

Its WAY too high a price. You can almost pay to replace the item with the insurance cost vs the price of the item.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-28-10 at 05:52 PM.
    05-28-10 05:50 PM
    Guys do the math. $14*24 months is $336. Add in the deductible and you can get one off ebay dont he road for the same price. The $14/month you dont get back if nothing happens to the phone.

Its WAY too high a price. You can almost pay to replace the item with the insurance cost vs the price of the item.
    I agree it's waaaaay too high, but your math on that is a little flawed. You're assuming you'd be be replacing it toward the end of your contract, already paying 300+ dollars. What happens if you had to have it replaced a month or two in? ,

Additionally the iPhone full price is something like 700 dollars or so (without contract), so it's not really almost paying for it.
    05-28-10 07:35 PM
    True but youd continue to pay the monthly cost even if you got it replaced because youd be even more paranoid if you broke it once it could happen again.

Its 700 retail, but thats through ATT or Apple, there are other places to get them
    05-28-10 08:56 PM
    State Farm = $45/year
    05-28-10 11:14 PM
    State Farm = $45/year
    My agent informed me that I could only add items to my homeowners insurance that I purchased for more than $450.00 (with proof of receipt).

I don't know if that's a lame California rule only or the same for the rest of the US.

Jim
    05-28-10 11:21 PM
    So who has the best insurance for Iphone??
    05-29-10 12:11 AM
    My agent informed me that I could only add items to my homeowners insurance that I purchased for more than $450.00 (with proof of receipt).

I don't know if that's a lame California rule only or the same for the rest of the US.

Jim
    That's not true. Its not how much you paid for the device, its how much the device is worth. I had mine insured through State Farm and I paid $35 a year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-10 09:17 AM
    i bought my iphone 3gs last night at best buy and if you buy an iphone from them, it is 14.99 a month and NO deductable....not bad!!!ps..i bought the iphone 16g 3gs white for only 99 bucks!!!haha..att wanted 300.00!!!take that att...
    06-03-10 02:04 PM
    although i did drive an hour and a half for it...hehehehe
    06-03-10 02:04 PM
    i bought my iphone 3gs last night at best buy and if you buy an iphone from them, it is 14.99 a month and NO deductable....not bad!!!ps..i bought the iphone 16g 3gs white for only 99 bucks!!!haha..att wanted 300.00!!!take that att...
    Nice. You aren't going to wait for the new one?
    06-03-10 02:18 PM
    I'll be grabbing this for sure
    06-03-10 02:22 PM
    Yea, I just picked up a 3Gs for my wife at 99 bucks w/ 14.99 ins..
    I walked about 4 city blocks. lol
    The great thing is, i still have an upgrade so I will be getting the 4G soon as it hits the store.
    06-03-10 07:30 PM
    This is good news for iphone users... No more screen protectors or case covers. =)
    06-03-10 09:01 PM
    I never buy the newest eletronics..i always give it a few work out the bugs before i buy and i dont have the problems...besides...its cheaper!!lol
    06-04-10 10:21 AM
    Does this come with LUBE because AT&T is once again screwing the public. I can feel it up the *** every day from AT&T. This is nothing short of rape for the public. What the **** will this company think of next?
    06-06-10 06:24 AM
    Dude,

At what they are charging, you can buy a **** load of screen protectors, sheez.

This is good news for iphone users... No more screen protectors or case covers. =)
    06-06-10 06:25 AM
    I purchased SquareTrade for one month, so I could research other options. SquareTrade is nice, but there's no protection against theft. That's a biggie for me.

Safeware is probably the way I'm going. $99/yr, full coverage (fire, water damage, theft, power surges, accidents, etc.), no claim limit, no time limit to sign up.
    07-07-10 02:00 PM
    I never buy the newest eletronics..i always give it a few work out the bugs before i buy and i dont have the problems...besides...its cheaper!!lol
    Same here. I am looking at the iP4, but there seems to be some issues with it, besides the reception.

I think i will wait a bit.

Also, just read that Apple admitted to the design flaw of the new antenna. Wonder what their plans are with future iPhones...
    07-07-10 02:57 PM
    I purchased SquareTrade for one month, so I could research other options. SquareTrade is nice, but there's no protection against theft. That's a biggie for me.

Safeware is probably the way I'm going. $99/yr, full coverage (fire, water damage, theft, power surges, accidents, etc.), no claim limit, no time limit to sign up.
    Thanks. Never heard of Safeware. I too was looking at Squaretrade, but with no theft protection, I second guessed it.

Have you read/heard any reviews about Safeware? Obviously you haven't had to file a claim yet, but I do wonder how easy/hard it is to do so.

Thanks
    07-07-10 03:01 PM
    Thanks. Never heard of Safeware. I too was looking at Squaretrade, but with no theft protection, I second guessed it.

Have you read/heard any reviews about Safeware? Obviously you haven't had to file a claim yet, but I do wonder how easy/hard it is to do so.

Thanks
    I've read a few reviews online, and I'm continuing to research. I haven't come across anything "bad" yet.
    07-07-10 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD