I live in Chicago and my iPhone was ready to take a swim in Lake Michigan at midnight last night. As soon as the clock struck 12:00 a.m. and everyone rushed to text their friends, family and loved ones HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I whipped out my iPhone and attempted the same, only to realize that the status bar on the text screen would get almost all the way to the end and then get stuck and an exclamation point would come up next to my text saying it could not be sent. If you tapped on it it would give you the option to retry or cancel the message. It was not til 12:34 a.m. that my first text actually made it out of my outbox. What a bunch of B.S. I am not used to this dropped calls and non sending text message B.S. I had Verizon for 7 years and Nextel before that and that NEVER happened before. Especially on New Years Eve. The phone is cool but I kick myself in the a@% everyday for switching carriers. I am one big supporter that this phone or a variation of this phone finds it's way to Big Red cause I will be the first one in line. I'm sorry for rambling but I'm pissed about where my money goes every month that I send AT&T. I was actually driving to work yesterday and one of AT&T's sorry come back commercials came on. Luke Wilson was explaining how AT&T has 3G covered all over Chicago. NO YOU DO NOT LUKE!!! I was in the heart of the city and could not text a single soul for over a half hour after midnight. I call B.S.
    Last edited by iitaalliiaann1; 01-01-10 at 08:23 AM.
    01-01-10 08:20 AM
    hhhhmmm...I wonder how I managed to reach my sister in law at a restaurant downtown on Michigan Ave on her 9000...
    01-01-10 08:38 AM
    I also had a weird signal problem a few minutes after midnight. I have very good AT&T coverage at my house. Usually have 3g signal most of the time. But a little after midnight, my phone showed no bars but still said 3g! I was able to use the my iphone as a data device but could not make calls or text! All my Facebook, twitter, ESPN, and email apps worked. I did a download speed test and pulled in a 1.7mb speed. But not able to make a call! I had to turn of 3g and switch over to EDGE to be able to make a call or text! Its weird that 3g data worked but not for phone or text useage. I went to bed around 1am and when I got up 4 hours later 3g worked again for calls and text.
    01-01-10 08:43 AM
    Well, since you have a blackberry, it must have been an iPhone problem then. There is no reason for me to come on here and make up a bunch of B.S. Look at my post count. I don't come on here often. I was just so pissed that I had to vent. Also, I never tried to place a call. Everyone I was trying to reach was at a different party and no one would of heard anyone talk. That is why I stuck to trying to text.
    01-01-10 08:43 AM
    It wasn't just an iphone problem. I couldn't send texts at midnight either. Kept getting a "network out of order" error message. I chalked it up to millions of people trying to text at the same time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-10 08:47 AM
    its natural, everyone using there phones at the same time, Im SURE it wasnt solely an ATT thing
    01-01-10 11:27 AM
    It was an AT&T issue as I wasn't able to send messages, but I received them. On my iPhone, I got the exclamation marks. On my 9700, I got the red "x".

Of course this doesn't mean no other carrier had the issue, but it wasn't just an iPhone issue.
    01-01-10 11:53 AM
    hhhhmmm...I wonder how I managed to reach my sister in law at a restaurant downtown on Michigan Ave on her 9000...
    Well you tend to fabricate most of your posts so your claim is irrelevant.
    01-01-10 01:13 PM
    I had the same problem. I had a full signal the whole time though, thats why I was a little confused. I would say about 20 minutes after midnight, its started working just fine. And ive had no problems at all today.
    01-01-10 06:23 PM
    of course. it was every person in the eastern time zone making calls at once. problems can be expected on ALL carriers, Just more ATT doom and gloom nonsense

And I call BS on OP saying it doesnt happen on other carriers, go check other sites like howardforums, sprintusers, etc. Happens on ALL major carriers and Ive experienced it on Sprint, Nextel, and VZW through the years at holidays and big events
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-01-10 at 10:18 PM.
    01-01-10 10:15 PM
    of course. it was every person in the eastern time zone making calls at once. problems can be expected on ALL carriers, Just more ATT doom and gloom nonsense

And I call BS on OP saying it doesnt happen on other carriers, go check other sites like howardforums, sprintusers, etc. Happens on ALL major carriers and Ive experienced it on Sprint, Nextel, and VZW through the years at holidays and big events
    Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. But, I call B.S. on you back because I have no reason to lie about this. As you can see, it happened to others in my area with an iPhone. Didn't lie there, did I? I bought my first cell at 18 with Cellular 1/Cingular, stayed with them for 7 years, went to Nextel for 2 and Stayed with Verizon for 7 til my wife had to have the iPhone. I am out and about every New Years Eve and I'm telling you, this is the first time I ever had problems getting a text/call out to anyone.
    01-02-10 09:26 AM
    Whats interesting is that you had an issue sending an SMS. Most of the time, during periods of anticipated heavy use, carriers would rather you send an SMS as opposed to making a call or using data (MMS, IM's). During the inauguration last January in D.C., the carriers almost begged everyone to not make voice calls and send texts instead.
    01-02-10 11:11 AM
    Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. But, I call B.S. on you back because I have no reason to lie about this. As you can see, it happened to others in my area with an iPhone. Didn't lie there, did I? I bought my first cell at 18 with Cellular 1/Cingular, stayed with them for 7 years, went to Nextel for 2 and Stayed with Verizon for 7 til my wife had to have the iPhone. I am out and about every New Years Eve and I'm telling you, this is the first time I ever had problems getting a text/call out to anyone.
    Just because YOU didnt see it doesnt mean it DIDNT HAPPEN?

As I said clearly, check HOFO and other cell fourms for posts on Jan 1st of each year the past few years, it happens on all carriers. Ive been a member of HOFO for over 5 years and every Jan 1st there are posts about not being able to make calls on EVERY carrier.

Despite what you think its NOT just an ATT or iphone thing by any means. You can bash on ATT all you want but its not solely an ATT thing when EVERYONE in your timezone is making calls and texting all at the same time. There are only so many slots per tower and maybe you were just lucky other years on your timing or how many people were using that particular tower wherever you were at the time.

But the ATT doom and gloom is getting old for something that is logical to happen on huge holidays and events such as new years eve where everyone is pounding the towers all at once.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-02-10 at 12:36 PM.
    01-02-10 12:34 PM
    To actually limit this to just the iPhone isn't smart at all. It happened with many
    people on AT&T no matter the phone they had. Many, but not all. An SMS doesn't
    use data unless it's an MMS.

The data hogging that is caused by the iPhone which has been a news story in
    recent months has plenty of relevance. But I think now people are starting to blame
    the iPhone for all of AT&T's problems. It's a bit of a stretch to say this SMS thing
    at midnight was limited to just iPhone users. Whenever there's an earthquake here
    in Southern Cal you should try to make a phone call, send an IM or an SMS on any
    carrier. Won't be able to do it.
    01-02-10 12:50 PM
    Funny it happened to me last year on my curve 8310 on ATT and 5 years ago when I was with sprint. In fact I think I have had this same issue on almost every new years.
    01-02-10 12:54 PM
    Whenever there's an earthquake here
    in Southern Cal you should try to make a phone call, send an IM or an SMS on any
    carrier. Won't be able to do it.
    Funny it happened to me last year on my curve 8310 on ATT and 5 years ago when I was with sprint. In fact I think I have had this same issue on almost every new years.
    EXACTLY. For ANY big event in one area, let alone New Years Eve where everyone in the whole timezone (not just a city or area) is making calls and texting.

People seem to want to blame the iphone and ATT for everything now a days. Guess they are brainwashed by the media bashing of ATT, which is sad since those arent near all the facts or true facts at that.

And yes, SMS doesnt use traditional data so its an irrelevant usage of ATT's data problems to equate to this situation. In lamen terms this is an EXPECTED thing on all carriers and is just network congestion wheneveryone picks up their phones at the stroke of midnight. Only so many tower slots for so many callers.

If you think att is really THAT horrible, please do leave, itll save us time from reading these ATT bashing threads where they really dont even deserve it.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-02-10 at 12:59 PM.
    01-02-10 12:55 PM
    I had some texts go thru, some not
    01-02-10 01:23 PM
    This happens to every carrier. Happened to me on Verizon. Happened to me on AT&T, and happened to me on Sprint when I had them. It is NEW YEARS. This isn't just limited to AT&T and the iPhone. Everyone and their pet fish are sending texts/making calls. You would be ignorant to think this happens on just one network to one phone.
    01-02-10 01:46 PM
    No problems calling and texting with about 15 different people on Verizon/Sprint. Of course my friends on ATT couldnt use their phones. Didnt get texts back from them or able to talk with them until much later or in the morning.

Been with Verizon for about a decade (since PrimeCo). NEVER had one problem on New Years eve right at 12am calling people.
    01-02-10 10:52 PM
    EXACTLY. For ANY big event in one area, let alone New Years Eve where everyone in the whole timezone (not just a city or area) is making calls and texting.

People seem to want to blame the iphone and ATT for everything now a days. Guess they are brainwashed by the media bashing of ATT, which is sad since those arent near all the facts or true facts at that.

And yes, SMS doesnt use traditional data so its an irrelevant usage of ATT's data problems to equate to this situation. In lamen terms this is an EXPECTED thing on all carriers and is just network congestion wheneveryone picks up their phones at the stroke of midnight. Only so many tower slots for so many callers.

If you think att is really THAT horrible, please do leave, itll save us time from reading these ATT bashing threads where they really dont even deserve it.
    Why do you get so hurt when someone says something about ATT? Why do you get so defensive when people say they want the iPhone on another network? You sound like a jaded ATT stockholder.
    01-02-10 10:54 PM
    Why do you get so hurt when someone says something about ATT? Why do you get so defensive when people say they want the iPhone on another network? You sound like a jaded ATT stockholder.
    It's not being defensive, it's just being tired of all the BS ATT bashing that is going on. And for the record most industry insiders agree that any network would have problems with the iphone, and that includes Big Red. It's real simple if you do not like ATT don't get a phone from them. If you want the iphone on another network then go with TMO instead of a carrier using outdated CDMA tech.
    01-03-10 12:01 AM
    And you sound like a raving Droid/VZW fanboy so whats your point?

This has NOTHING to do with iphone on another network like you want to make EVERY iphone forum thread about. Its more useless ATT bashing when it happens to EVERY network, maybe not YOU but it happens, unless youre calling all the other posters who have had it happen on all the other carriers liars. To deny that is the most naive statement ever posed.

Dont ruin yet another thread making this about you and your vendetta
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-03-10 at 02:08 AM.
    01-03-10 02:02 AM
    I noticed some lag on BBM at the stroke of midnight in all but the mountain time zone. East Coast, Central, all showed some lagging moments, but only a few seconds, and then there was a total freeze at West Coast Midnight for me requiring a Battery Pull. So there was definitely some degradation of services due to demand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-10 03:17 AM
    I had some texts go thru, some not
    yeah, I messaged her and got a response with no problem. My husband called his parents in Annapolis. We are in Virginia.

Everyone else was in different time zones and they were contacting me so maybe that was the reason I didn't have any issues...
    01-03-10 06:52 AM
    And you sound like a raving Droid/VZW fanboy so whats your point?

This has NOTHING to do with iphone on another network like you want to make EVERY iphone forum thread about. Its more useless ATT bashing when it happens to EVERY network, maybe not YOU but it happens, unless youre calling all the other posters who have had it happen on all the other carriers liars. To deny that is the most naive statement ever posed.

Dont ruin yet another thread making this about you and your vendetta
    Really? I sound like a raving Droid/VZW fanboy? Yea ok. Because Im constantly jumping on people who have problems with Verizon like you do ATT, and Im the one who is being defensive saying "there is no way XXXX phone is going to ATT!"

The OP is posting about his experience with ATT. If you dont like his stating of his experiences on ATT then stay out of HIS thread. You come in here and start knocking people who speak out about ATT.

Me and my vendetta? I dont have one. Youre the one coming into this thread calling people "brainwashed by the media". Just like any other thread stating facts about ATT. And you want to say every other network is the same as ATT? No, there is a reason ATT ranked dead last in consumer satisfaction.
    01-03-10 10:13 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD