Just left my local ATT store to purchase my 3rd Iphone4 in the last week and wow, what a difference between the way ATT handled the event compared to Apple.

At the Apple store last week you could not get a single Apple rep to communicate with anyone in line about how many units they had, when they would be getting more or when or how the transaction process would work. It led to some anxiety in the crowd in my opinion. The line was disorganized, many of the Apple "genius" were anything but and struggled through their transactions and they may have processed 30 transactions in the first hour, not to mention, they opened about 10 minutes late. No promotional items were given away and no food or drinks were provided.

ATT this morning opened the doors 8 min early. They had dedicated people going about the line offering food and drinks and about 30 minutes before hand informed everyone in line exactly how the transaction procedures would go down and were able to assure everyone in line that everyone there would get a phone today. They told everyone how many cashiers they had and approximately how long it took to process a transaction so that everyone could estimate how long it would take. Their communication was outstanding and they had SO MANY employees there doing many things to make it a pretty enjoyable experience and they gave away free t-shirts!

Night and day compared to Apple Corporate store...great job ATT!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 08:36 AM
    Yeah I heard the same. But I would expect the carrier to be more organized than Apple. Here in Delaware the Apple store was pretty organized for having hundreds of people running throughout and wrapping outside the mall. I didn't find it important to know how many devices Apple had in stock so that didn't bother me. The lines were organized with Apple reps making sure of it and someone would come to you and walk you in the store. It was pretty smooth as far as I could tell. I'm sure there was more rowdiness in the walk-in line because those folks were there since 10pm the night before. But all in all Apple did a good job giving out water and offering snacks as well. I know in other places it was pure mayhem.
    06-29-10 09:45 AM
    I think it is because AT&T didn't have hundreds
    of devices like Apple did. Thousands in some of
    the big Apple stores. I think mine at Garden
    State Mall had about that many. With AT&T,
    if they have about 50, they can easily tell you
    who the last customer may possibly be.
    06-29-10 10:53 AM
    The Apple store here that serves Western Cleveland Suburbs (there's one on the East side as well) they handled everything with ease, and everything was in order, including snacks, water, coffee at 6am.

And there were easily 500 + people there and I heard there were more at the other location according to Cleveland's Plain Dealer
    06-29-10 12:24 PM
    Here are some people about their experiences with AT&T. Some good and some bad. The Apple store I went do was very easy and smooth. My boy went to a different one in PA and he sad it was craziness. It's different everywhere. Some AT&T stores tell people how many they have and others don't.

http://www.tipb.com/2010/06/29/att-s...ge-1/#comments
    06-29-10 01:00 PM
    I'm sure its different everywhere...was kind of a generalization by me to say in the OP that all stores would be this way...my bad

Down in S.Fla...ATT store got 300 units btw...with more coming after lunch

06-29-10 01:17 PM
    Apple had THOUSANDS of iPhones, AT&T at MOST locations had less than a hundred. You tell me the difference.
    06-29-10 01:24 PM
    Apple had THOUSANDS of iPhones, AT&T at MOST locations had less than a hundred. You tell me the difference.
    The Apple store that I went to at a fairly large mall in S.FL ran out of devices about 20 people after me and I was about #175-200 in line...75percent of the people there were only buying 1 unit so that doesn't sound like THOUSANDS...maybe one thousand to a comp location ATT stores 300...doesn't really matter...

From my experience of both I came away with a better feeling of how ATT handled the day in my area.

06-29-10 01:46 PM
    My friend went to a local Apple store that had its grand opening the day of launch.
    He stood in line and one of the employees told him not to worry because they
    had 2,200 phones in stock. Since it was the first day of opening, there were no
    pre-orders either.
    06-29-10 01:59 PM
    I wouldnt say ATT is much more prepared, other than tons of people got them last week is the only difference.

Called the local store in downtown Miami and said they sold out about 11am. Which is understandable. Then I ask well when are you getting more in? Today? Tomm? Oh well we havent received word yet when but prob not today or tomm. How can you not know with the hottest phone of recent?! Some stores are getting 2 shipments today alone.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-29-10 at 02:06 PM.
    06-29-10 02:03 PM
    I wouldnt say ATT is much more prepared, other than tons of people got them last week is the only difference.

Called the local store in downtown Miami and said they sold out about 11am. Which is understandable. Then I ask well when are you getting more in? Today? Tomm? Oh well we havent received word yet when but prob not today or tomm. How can you not know with the hottest phone of recent?! Some stores are getting 2 shipments today alone.

Maybe it was just a dumb*ss employee.... common sense isn't so common these days lol
    06-29-10 02:28 PM
    Nah I called back and talked to someone different and similar answer. They could direct fulfill ones to ship to you but mine as well do it online then anyways. Point was to go pick one up today.

I dont get how the only store dead center in downtown Miami only got enough to sell until 11am for the next few days.

There's no excuse now, Apple had almost 2 weeks now knowing full well the demand for the phone after 600,000 were preordered the 15th. They should have gotten enough to the ATT (and even Apple stores who some still dont have walk-in stock) in the past 14 days to at least come close to meeting demand.

You cant launch a huge phone like an iphone with 10 (maybe 20-25 in bigger stores) of each size per store. Thats just FAR too few when you have 50 people waiting per store by 6-7am.

Its even more apparent of such when you go to order on ATT online and they say ships in 7-10 days (Apple.com is 3 weeks now!!) Apple just clearly F-ed up big time and didnt get enough made
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-29-10 at 02:40 PM.
    06-29-10 02:34 PM
    No one knew they would sell 1.7 Million in 3 days.
    That's unheard of. If you really wanted them to
    be prepared for that, then I'm not sure what else
    to say. No phone company, including apple ever
    sold that much. AT&T's pre-orders were 10Xs
    what they expected. Apple got 600K pre-orders.

I understand the frustration, but Apple isn't the
    one making the phone, it's being made overseas.
    Besides demand drives sales. Look how Sprint
    try to play people saying "they sold out of xyz"
    and in reality they didn't even come close to a
    million. Why? Because they wanted to fool
    people into thinking the demand was high, when
    in reality, the supply was low.

Last year, I pre-ordered and walked straight into
    AT&T after the store had been open for 30 mins.
    This didn't happen this year and even me as a
    former manager of AT&T was shocked.
    06-29-10 03:02 PM
    Well I think the point I was making is they had 600k preorders. 2 weeks later now and ATT launches it in stores and they only have 20 at most stores? I think they knew from the preorders what the trend would be and had 2 weeks to prepare for it.

Common sense would dictate if you have 600k people preordering online alone then you better have a pretty big stock when it gets into stores, both Apple and ATT stores.

2 weeks should be more than enough to ship more over from China. I know there are only so many they can make but Apple wasnt dumb as to how many they were going to sell either.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-29-10 at 03:35 PM.
    06-29-10 03:26 PM
    Once AT&T made it clear that they wouldn't have any iPhones until 5 days after
    launch, it doesn't suprise me that stores aren't getting them, or are hardly getting
    them. I just texted my friend down the street from here at a store where I picked
    up mine on a pre-order on launch day, and he said they didn't even get any.

The system is working kind of funny though. I got my pre-order in at about 5-6PM
    (pacific time) on pre-order day. He did that right after their system came back up.
    He told me I had a slim chance of getting it on launch day and to expect it
    between then and July 2nd. Last week on Monday I get the e-mail that my phone
    has shipped. I got it on launch day. Dude tells me that a few people that did their
    orders in the morning before I did, didn't even get their phones lol
    06-29-10 03:34 PM
    Well I think the point I was making is they had 600k preorders. 2 weeks later now and ATT launches it in stores and they only have 20 at most stores? I think they knew from the preorders what the trend would be and had 2 weeks to prepare for it.

Common sense would dictate if you have 600k people preordering online alone then you better have a pretty big stock when it gets into stores, both Apple and ATT stores.

2 weeks should be more than enough to ship more over from China. I know there are only so many they can make but Apple wasnt dumb as to how many they were going to sell either.
    AT&T isn't the issue, nor is Apple. It's where
    they're being manufactured. The 4 countries
    it launched on aren't the only ones that will
    have it in a month's time. They can only
    produce X amount, not 10X the amount as
    they still need to make deadlines for other
    countries.

Look at Verizon and the Incredible, it is still
    sold out in a lot of places that I've gone to.
    They aren't purposely not ordering enough,
    at least not in Apple's case and I don't think
    in Verizon's case as the longer the wait, the
    more customers that may go to Apple/AT&T
    if they can get an i4 there first.
    06-29-10 06:59 PM
    AT&T isn't the issue, nor is Apple. It's where
    they're being manufactured. The 4 countries
    it launched on aren't the only ones that will
    have it in a month's time. They can only
    produce X amount, not 10X the amount as
    they still need to make deadlines for other
    countries.

Look at Verizon and the Incredible, it is still
    sold out in a lot of places that I've gone to.
    They aren't purposely not ordering enough,
    at least not in Apple's case and I don't think
    in Verizon's case as the longer the wait, the
    more customers that may go to Apple/AT&T
    if they can get an i4 there first.
    I agree with Duvi. The iphone wsa launched globally to more than just the United States. Look what happened with the Wii. The demand at times is high but because there are so many other countries to give product to you have to limit what you give one country to send it all around. Also Countries like Canada who will launch later on will probably have the same problem. With any new product with as much hype expect a lot of demand and a lot of waiting. At the moment the demand is far more than what can be given to consumers in one city, state or country when it has to spread the wealth.
    06-29-10 08:42 PM
    No one, not even Apple could have predicted the demand that the iPhone 4 has. I'm sure they thought it would be more than the 3GS but not 10 times more. Apple does not make the phone and even with the 600K preorders on the 15th, 9 days isn't enough time to get hundreds of thousands more when you're still trying to produce the number you expected to sell. I could imagine the push and the long hours everyone involved had to work just to get the amount of devices out that they were able to get. I'm sure they are working like crazy to restock stores now. I just don't see how you fault them for something that no one could have anticipated.
    06-29-10 10:44 PM
    Well I think my overall point was more that 20 per store just isnt enough. Heck Id bet if you walked into their stock room they have more than 20 of other smartphones and dumbphones, and those arent the hyped iphone launch.

It just should have been planned better. 20 per store average just isnt enough stock for a big launch of a product.
    06-30-10 12:57 AM
    Well I think my overall point was more that 20 per store just isnt enough. Heck Id bet if you walked into their stock room they have more than 20 of other smartphones and dumbphones, and those arent the hyped iphone launch.

It just should have been planned better. 20 per store average just isnt enough stock for a big launch of a product.
    The point you are making is fairly obvious. It's obvious that 20 per store isn't enough but it seems you're ignoring the other obvious point that there's nothing they can do about it at the moment. Of course they want more devices in the store. Wouldn't common sense say they if they could they would? They aren't magicians and can just make iPhones appear out of thin air. It takes time especially with the demand. People just need to understand that even Apple are under constraints. They are not almighty and don't control everything. Like I stated earlier, they were already preparing for the launch and making devices and then you find out that you need to make 10x more than what you thought and you have 9 days to not only make the devices you were scheduled to but to exceed that by 10x the amount. Anyone who think Apple should/could have met all of that demand in 9 days isn't being realistic.

P.S. every store didn't get 20. Many stores got a lot more than that.
    06-30-10 11:00 AM
    I had a very good experience at Apple. Very organized and had about 2000 people there. I had about 150 ahead of me and I was in the door being rung up after about 30 mins. It took them only about 5 mins to complete my whole upgrade process. Very happy with Apple on launch day
    07-01-10 01:42 PM
    I had a very good experience at Apple. Very organized and had about 2000 people there. I had about 150 ahead of me and I was in the door being rung up after about 30 mins. It took them only about 5 mins to complete my whole upgrade process. Very happy with Apple on launch day
    I wasn't out that quick... but definitely had
    a good time with the peeps I was on line
    with. It was worth it to make me want to
    do this next year again. ha.
    07-01-10 01:47 PM
    I very much so prefer the shipped to your doorstep process. A lot less painful.
    07-01-10 02:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD