06-05-10 01:13 PM
37 12
tools
    Wait, so unlimited data is still going to be an option for new contracts? Or only if you already have unlimited? Signing a new contract you wont have the option of unlimited right? Max of 2gb?
    No unlimited for new contract. 200MB or 2GB max. If you already have unlimited, then you can keep it as you are "grandfathered" in. So you can change devices and upgrade etc and still keep unlimited. Just don't change to a new plan and then try to go back to unlimited. That ain't happening.
    06-04-10 01:06 PM
    Yea, I was wanting to go to the new iphone when it comes out. Wish I could transfer my BB unlimited plan to an iphone unlimited plan.
    06-04-10 04:55 PM
    Yea, I was wanting to go to the new iphone when it comes out. Wish I could transfer my BB unlimited plan to an iphone unlimited plan.
    The tiered data isn't just for the iPhone is all data plans. As long as you already have an unlimited plan you can have an unlimited plan to your new device. Since you have a BB unlimited plan, you can switch to the iPhone unlimited plan. Since you are grandfathered in, you can switch between the unlimited plans if you change devices.
    06-04-10 06:04 PM
    Providers didn't have a problem with unlimited data plans for BB's because BB's use less bandwidth. Now with iPhone like devices and iPads its a different story. Providers don't want to foot the bill for heavy data users.

Off TOPIC and debatable
    BB is sitting pretty with regards to 3rd world countries. With limited infrastructure these countries cannot support bandwidth hogs like Google/Android and iPhones. Data service is very expensive relative to the populations income. BB is making significant progress in emerging countries as the data phone of choice because of this. BB is bringing smartphones to the masses in a way that Google and Apple cannot.
    Maybe I should buy some RIM stock.
    06-04-10 06:51 PM
    I wonder how long until they completely stop allowing those grandfathered plans...
    I would guess not too long since the data abusers will just grandfather in now. I assume within a year itll be gone totally, by the next iphone in 2011 you wont be able to grandfather in anymore.
    Unless you want to add tethering, you'll be able to keep the unlimited forever. So, June 7th, no one will be able to get the unlimited for $30 or switch to a different plan and then back. There of course will be exceptions. Example... rep accidentally removing it.
    06-04-10 09:29 PM
    I actually hit 1gb for the first time ever, but between two lines. Reason I used so much is because I've been tethering at school on the PCs all month.
    06-04-10 09:31 PM
    Why should BB users pay for the iPhones/Google Android data hog ways?

Posters have been laughing at BB's "outdated" technology not realizing that BB is all about technology and the efficient use of data.

About time really.

I think BB is celebrating somewhere as we speak.
    Hold on, here is the link.
    RIM is popping bottles in Waterloo, celebrating tiered data pricing Boy Genius Report

enjoy
    This isn't inclusive to all BB users. I average about 5 GB a month of data with my Tour. I download podcasts everyday that are about 50MB each. I can go through 200MB in a couple of days easy. But I don't have to worry about that because I'm with Sprint and our data is still unlimited. And what about all of the BB users that tether their devices through third party apps. This cap really puts a hurting on them as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 11:04 PM
    Its not the BB users specifically paying for the data hogs. There are PLENTY of people around here who use a few hundred MB a month on their iphones, as much as some medium BB users. There are some BB users using over 2gb as well. There are light and heavy users on every platform, its NOT platform specific.

Despite what RIM feeds you many of their apps like Google Maps for example dont run through compression, so its using the same data amount as on any other platform. Same with downloading podcasts, music, video- its all raw data; noncompressed. It can go just as fast on a BB as any other phone if youre not conscious of it.

Basically in general, the low data users should no longer be paying for the high users to abuse the system.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-05-10 at 01:20 AM.
    06-05-10 01:17 AM
    $25.00 for 500mb? Consider yourself lucky. It's twice that with Telus here in Canada. (These are voice and data plan prices).

1GB $65.00,
    2GB $80.00,
    3GB $100.00
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 06-05-10 at 11:14 AM.
    06-05-10 11:10 AM
    Wow, that's alot!
    06-05-10 11:56 AM
    $25.00 for 500mb? Consider yourself lucky. It's twice that with Telus here in Canada. (These are voice and data plan prices).

1GB $65.00,
    2GB $80.00,
    3GB $100.00
    I would never pay over $30/month for data. You're getting ripped off.
    06-05-10 12:51 PM
    I would never pay over $30/month for data. You're getting ripped off.
    Plans have always been more expensive here. Unless you locked in during a very brief price war a few years ago.
    06-05-10 01:13 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD