It looks like its scrambling all options available to hold on to their customers.

AT&T has quietly revised its data plans for iPhone users, allowing some to switch back to unlimited data. The move comes just weeks before the heralded Verizon iPhone launch, which many analysts believe will cause a great number of AT&T customers to jump ship.

Verizon announced that it would be offering an unlimited data plan for new iPhone users, something AT&T got rid of last summer. Now, AT&T has backtracked, allowing some users that previously had the unlimited plan to switch back if they so choose.

This policy does not cover new AT&T customers who never had an unlimited plan.

According to a report from The Associated Press, "AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel wouldn't confirm the option to return to an unlimited plan.
    AT&T allowing unlimited iPhone data plans for some | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews
    01-29-11 01:23 PM
    What kind of offers do you think they'll give for those of us who want to upgrade come June IF a new iphone comes along worth upgrading to?
    01-29-11 03:12 PM
    What kind of offers do you think they'll give for those of us who want to upgrade come June IF a new iphone comes along worth upgrading to?
    That actually just made me think how the Iphone 5 will be exclusive for ATT , at least until like December 2011 or January 2012.

For existing iPhone 4 (or 3) users, I don't think there will be any discounts, I'm sure I still have to cash out about 200 bucks and renew my contract or similar to get the iPhone 5 cheaper than full price.
    01-29-11 03:22 PM
    What can VZW offer you to make it worth switching? Won't you need to get the VZW cdma device? I would probably want to see the new phone first before making a switch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-11 03:22 PM
    ^I don't Verizon will offer anything special come June, I only meant on the part of AT&T. AT&T actually has much better coverage where I live but there's no denying the excellent customer service from VZW.
    01-29-11 03:26 PM
    That actually just made me think how the Iphone 5 will be exclusive for ATT , at least until like December 2011 or January 2012.
    I can actually see something like that happening, just as certain model blackberrys are exclusive to certain carriers.
    01-30-11 07:33 AM
    Seriously, I think AT&T will notice a dip in new activation with regards to iPhone ONLY for the first two weeks of Verizon's launch. Once issues start to be discussed on the World Wide Web, am sure things will change...

Bear in mind, people like me, will never go to Verizon (well, not again, anyway). So there will be those that will remain with AT&T, regardless. Oh, and let's not start talking about the whole 'data & voice' simultaneously...

Now, come June\July, if a new iPhone is released, and of course, if ONLY AT&T have access to it, I'm almost 90% sure they'll offer early upgrades to certain users. Based on there monthly bill, and other related things.
    01-30-11 09:22 AM
    I do like your way of thinking on this and I hope things do turn out that way. I don't have any intentions of leaving ATT, I have yet to have any problems with them.

01-30-11 10:47 AM
    Seriously, I think AT&T will notice a dip in new activation with regards to iPhone ONLY for the first two weeks of Verizon's launch. Once issues start to be discussed on the World Wide Web, am sure things will change...

Bear in mind, people like me, will never go to Verizon (well, not again, anyway). So there will be those that will remain with AT&T, regardless. Oh, and let's not start talking about the whole 'data & voice' simultaneously...

Now, come June\July, if a new iPhone is released, and of course, if ONLY AT&T have access to it, I'm almost 90% sure they'll offer early upgrades to certain users. Based on there monthly bill, and other related things.
    Agree 100%. I don't really see a tremendous amount of people leaving AT&T when they already have the i4. Verizon is in my area, but I'm very satisfied with AT&T. But, as you stated, it will be really interesting to see how many units they sell in the first few weeks.
    01-30-11 11:13 AM
    I would expect to see AT&T to lose more customers in NYC and SF than in other areas. It will be interesting to see if coverage in those cities gets better if the network is less congested once more people switch to VZW there.

01-30-11 11:19 AM
    Very good point! I tend to hear a lot of complaints about users in New York. Actually glad I don't live there, just because of that.

Yes. I know that's sad, but I'm a gadget nut, and that would simply drive me NUTS!

I would expect to see AT&T to lose more customers in NYC and SF than in other areas. It will be interesting to see if coverage in those cities gets better if the network is less congested once more people switch to VZW there.

01-30-11 11:34 AM

For existing iPhone 4 (or 3) users, I don't think there will be any discounts, I'm sure I still have to cash out about 200 bucks and renew my contract or similar to get the iPhone 5 cheaper than full price.
    So bringing the phone from $599 to $199 isn't enough for you? What else would you like? A free Apple t-shirt perhaps?
    01-30-11 11:41 AM
    Just a thought... IF AT&T comes out with the iphone5 this summer, and IF they offered an early upgrade to the people who upgraded to the iphone 4 last summer, I'm quite sure they would require you to turn in the iphone 4 at the time of upgrade. I think that goes without saying. I can't imagine them allowing you to be walking around with an iphone 4 and an iphone 5

If not... I'd have an iphone 4 for $299 and an iphone 5 for another $299. I can't see that happening. They would lose a fourtune, and I could sell the iphone 4 for $400 or $500
    01-30-11 12:08 PM
    Of course they will do things to hold onto customers. They wont advertise it but once you get transferred to retentions, Im sure they have the authority to make it happen
    01-31-11 02:06 PM
    This is why having the iPhone on another carrier benefits us. Carriers now have to do things to compete. As long as AT&T has exclusivity they were not going to offer unlimited data again. But since VZW is they now have to compete. Hopefully in the future, the other 2 major US carriers get the iPhone as well because that will add more pressure for carriers too offer lower data rates or risk losing customers.
    Teek likes this.
    01-31-11 03:50 PM
    It looks like its scrambling all options available to hold on to their customers.

AT&T allowing unlimited iPhone data plans for some | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews
    It's been noted that the mass AT&T iPhone exodus won't happen as many thought, for one,it's been found that AT&T has something to the tune of 90% of it's iPhone customers under extended contracts. Of course some will pay those exorbitant ETF's, which is very dumb if you're receiving decent to good AT&T service just to say you have Verizon to later find out that's crap to.
    02-01-11 07:47 PM
    It's been noted that the mass AT&T iPhone exodus won't happen as many thought, for one,it's been found that AT&T has something to the tune of 90% of it's iPhone customers under extended contracts. Of course some will pay those exorbitant ETF's, which is very dumb if you're receiving decent to good AT&T service just to say you have Verizon to later find out that's crap to.
    Well, I am - for one- staying, since the places I go during work only ATT offers a better coverage. Sure there is T mobile, verizon and sprint but because I owned T mobile and sprint already and neither of them had a good coverage, while my friend has Verizon and he has to borrow my phone a couple of time a day.
    There was no favoritism of choosing, my selection solely based on service area. If it would have been Verizon then I would be a VZW customer, if T mobile then I would have that...and so on.
    02-01-11 10:13 PM
    Not willing to pay full retail or sign up for a 2 year contract on a device that will most likely be replaced 6 months from now. I was hoping for a one year contract ( 10 month upgrade window.)

To all of you who have been waiting an eternity for it, congrats...it is a fantastic device.
    02-02-11 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD