A news item yesterday on iLounge reports AT&T will be upgrading its existing 3G network to provide a “significantly faster” mobile Internet service. The communications giant is planning to double its current 3G network speeds and expand its cell coverage.

From AT&T’s own press release:

The upgrade to High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) 7.2 technology is part of AT&T’s plan for continued investments to deliver the nation’s best mobile broadband experience – the ideal combination of speed, coverage and best device line-up. AT&T today has the nation’s fastest 3G network and has attracted more than twice the number of smartphone users than any other competitor.

While the expanded cell coverage (AT&T is deploying over two thousand new cell sites throughout the country) will hopefully reduce the number of dropped or failed calls for iPhone users, the improvements in mobile broadband speeds appear to be limited to larger cities and other metropolitan areas.

Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets, said “With the array of smartphones, laptops and emerging devices taking advantage of AT&T’s 3G network today, we know that customers are excited to experience higher mobile broadband speeds, and we are deploying the right technologies at the right times to help them get the most from that experience.”

The new upgraded network could, according to AT&T, allow theoretical peak-speeds of 7.2Mbps. For those of us hoping to see bandwidth-hungry applications and services (such as HD YouTube video down/uploads, video calling or TV/Movie downloading) on the next generation iPhone, this sounds like a step in the right direction, though AT&T does carefully point out that:

Typical real-world downlink and uplink speeds experienced by customers with upgraded 3G will be less than the theoretical peak and will vary based on a number of factors, including location, device, and overall traffic on the local network at a given time.

Still, the upgrades are sorely-needed and should be warmly welcomed by iPhone customers. A word of warning, though: despite the announcement yesterday, AT&T doesn’t expect to see these upgrades completed and fully deployed until the end of 2011. So why announce it now? Well, it’s exciting news for their existing customers, and probably has nothing at all to do with the fact that a great many of their iPhone customer’s contracts are about to expire…
    05-28-09 09:54 AM
    So this should be coming out around the same time as 4 g? Or this their way to start the 4 g movement?
    05-28-09 12:16 PM
    So this should be coming out around the same time as 4 g? Or this their way to start the 4 g movement?
    I think it's their bridge between 3g and LTE, so kinda like 3.5g.. or 7.2g...

Introducing the iPhone 7.2g!
    05-28-09 01:33 PM
    7.2g would be higher than 4g lol. So its more like 3.5g-3.75g. And yes this makes it easier for ATT to roll out 4g because this is part of the 3GPP process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 02:56 PM
    Verizon > AT&T

I have a Storm and a BlackJack II. The service on AT&T really blows. I usually end up using my Storm to do anything.
    05-28-09 02:58 PM
    Verizon > AT&T

I have a Storm and a BlackJack II. The service on AT&T really blows. I usually end up using my Storm to do anything.
    Thank you for going completely off topic. I'm happy Verizon is working for you, but that's not what this thread is about. I am also happy your Storm actually works, I hope you feel better about yourself.

05-28-09 03:18 PM
    this is very exciting news! i just got an iPhone last week and for my area, the service is actually proving to be about the same coverage wise as i was getting with my storm and verizon. im actually very impressed with AT&T because the impression i got from these forums, was that their service was terrible.. but my iPhone is faster than the storm when both were on 3G, and the iPhone REALLY beats it on wifi (i know its apples and oranges but shame on RIM)... if their service area and speeds increase then that just sweetens the deal.. the Best phone on the market with the Fastest service. looks like i wont be changing back to big red anytime soon..
    05-28-09 05:25 PM
    Thank you for going completely off topic. I'm happy Verizon is working for you, but that's not what this thread is about. I am also happy your Storm actually works, I hope you feel better about yourself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!Awesome!!!!! I needed a good laugh
    05-28-09 05:38 PM
    Thanks for sharing. I would rather AT&T skip 7.2 and go straight to LTE, especially in the NorthEast.

In my opinion, 7.2 won't make much of a difference, especially since it's going to be capped.
    05-29-09 12:34 PM
    Thanks for sharing. I would rather AT&T skip 7.2 and go straight to LTE, especially in the NorthEast.

In my opinion, 7.2 won't make much of a difference, especially since it's going to be capped.
    True. But at least this should help ATTs network with the data load.

05-29-09 01:12 PM

Capped? Please elaborate.
    05-29-09 02:08 PM
    Verizon > AT&T

To do anything except work correctly?
    05-29-09 02:12 PM
    Capped? Please elaborate.
    AT&T's network is capable of 3.6 atm, but only laptop cards come close. The wireless phones don't come near that. The most I see is 1.8 and I'm in NY/NJ region.
    05-29-09 02:23 PM
    AT&T's network is capable of 3.6 atm, but only laptop cards come close. The wireless phones don't come near that. The most I see is 1.8 and I'm in NY/NJ region.
    Prior to me having an iPhone, I had a Motorola Q9h which is HSDPA capable. I remember tethering it (many times) and getting over 400KB a second on my downloads.

That would indicate HSDPA speeds.. 3600Kbps / 8 = 450KB a sec

I'm in Irvine, CA which is blanketed in the Verizon, ATT and Sprints 3G signals.. they bring their A game because of all the $$$ floating through the air.
    05-29-09 02:25 PM
    So in theory if 1.8 is what we get from 3.6 then one may say 3.0-5.0 is what we get from 7.2. Any improvement is good in my eyes, quicker is quicker.

My 3g test using the Speedtest.net app... 2.13 down, .23 up.

Last edited by Entertainment72; 05-29-09 at 02:30 PM.
    05-29-09 02:27 PM
    So in theory if 1.8 is what we get from 3.6 then one may say 3.0-5.0 is what we get from 7.2. Any improvement is good in my eyes, quicker is quicker.

My 3g test using the Speedtest.net app... 2.13 down, .23 up.

Keep in mind there's alot of saturation on the ATT towers.. So even though I have full 3G signal right now? there's a bajillion people connecting to the same tower probably and leeching the BW..

EDIT: Oh and HSDPA is disabled on the iPhone 3G at the moment.. What people dont understand is that the iPhone 3G is fully capable of HSDPA speeds, but it's not a known feature unless you look it up on Apple.com

People read into the new iPhone having HSDPA.. well..wtf? What about the current iPhone 3G!
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-29-09 at 02:47 PM.
    05-29-09 02:44 PM
    ^ thats why I live in SW Florida and not Manhattan... My signal and bw are pretty consistent.
    05-29-09 02:47 PM
    When I first got the iPhone 3G the day it came out.. I consistantly hit over 200KB a sec.. 230KB, 250KB, etc..

Now, I'm lucky to hit over 100KB.. =/
    05-29-09 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD