Should I make the switch, the opportunity has come up and it might be too hard to pass up.
    08-03-10 05:33 PM
    Depends on what's important to you. If you need a physical keyboard and BES, then you might want to stay with BB. If you like media and games and browse, then you might want to consider the 3GS, which is still a very capable phone.
    08-03-10 05:48 PM
    Depends on what's important to you. If you need a physical keyboard and BES, then you might want to stay with BB. If you like media and games and browse, then you might want to consider the 3GS, which is still a very capable phone.
    I love to browse the internet and they're some apps that I'm interested in. I won't be able to get an upgrade until the winter of 2012 and I'm buying this from a friend, does it have staying power? As in will this phone last me until around then?
    08-03-10 06:06 PM
    I previously had an iPhone 3G before my Blackberry 9700 and I'll be making the switch to iPhone 4 when I return from my vacation. Make the switch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 07:13 PM
    I understand how you feel---I purchased the blackberry bold 9000 and made the switch to the iPhone 3GS during the 30 day period. I have had my iPhone for about 2 months and at times I really do miss my blackberry and may go back when my upgrade date comes but........for now I really do like my iPhone!!!
    08-04-10 07:41 PM
    I understand how you feel---I purchased the blackberry bold 9000 and made the switch to the iPhone 3GS during the 30 day period. I have had my iPhone for about 2 months and at times I really do miss my blackberry and may go back when my upgrade date comes but........for now I really do like my iPhone!!!
    I have the 9000 and I wish I had made the switch during my 30 day period. But I was lucky to get the early upgrade and will be getting the i4 next weekend. A nice bday present to myself.
    08-04-10 08:09 PM
    I had a 9000 and was a long time BB user. I switched to an iPhone 3GS about 2 months ago, and I can honestly say the only regret I have is that I didn't get the white one. I love it - more then I thought I would.
    08-09-10 02:09 AM
    I love to browse the internet and they're some apps that I'm interested in. I won't be able to get an upgrade until the winter of 2012 and I'm buying this from a friend, does it have staying power? As in will this phone last me until around then?
    Does your friend treating it right? What's the condition? Is
    it still under warranty? If so, extend! Make sure there is no
    liquid/water damage either.
    08-09-10 09:06 AM
    Does your friend treating it right? What's the condition? Is
    it still under warranty? If so, extend! Make sure there is no
    liquid/water damage either.
    It was in fantastic condition (I use was because I bought it) got three cases and a screen protected as well when I got it. Works absolutely great, already making a fantastic impression on me less then a week in

08-09-10 12:22 PM
    I just swiched from a BB Bold to a Jailbroken + Unlocked 3GS ... I will admit It takes some getting used to...There are some basic functions that you get used to using a BB that IPhones just dont have! However, I am liking my 3GS ... No Physical Keyboard is def...killing me though!
    08-10-10 05:28 PM
    I have the 9000 and I wish I had made the switch during my 30 day period. But I was lucky to get the early upgrade and will be getting the i4 next weekend. A nice bday present to myself.
    MMmm, didn't you get ip4 yet? its almost a week since you posted 8-4-2010... * Hmmm *
    08-10-10 07:51 PM
    I made the switch from my 9700 to the 3GS and I thought the keypad was going to be the major hurdle, but I was wrong. Everyone states the obvious, but I found I do really well on the touchscreen. Not quite as well as the BB's physical keypad, but not that far off. I can type on my BB without looking, but I need to watch the iPhone.

Anyway, here's my findings so far:

Battery is nowhere near the BB. I need to charge for at least an additional 45 mins sometime during the day on the iPhone. The BB easily lasts throughout the day for me. On a side note, I will get back to 100% charged in about 45 mins.

Everything is slower. Sending SMS's especially. On the BB I can bang it out and be completely done with sending a text in 1/4 of the time, maybe even less. I count that from the time I pick up the phone til the time I'm back doing what I was doing. As for everything else, it's just slower in every way. Opening apps is just laggy IMO. Not horrible at first since I wasn't efficient in my useage, but now that I am, the bottleneck is the phone itself. It's just not that snappy of a device. It takes being really used to the way it works to start to see how bad it really is.

No true multi-tasking for the iphone. On my BB I could easily go between different apps with them still running. ie Checking my balances online then returning to Ascendo Money to see if it matches up. On the iPhone WITH MULTI-TASKING, you need to enter your passcode everytime you come back to the app, and it relaunches it. It's a joke. I'm on ios4 btw. Oh, and if someone is sending you text messages, forget it! It kicks you out of your app everytime. I downloaded a package that allows it to stay within a given app when I receive an sms now, but I still need to enter my passcode if it's an app that I have one set on. Balancing my budgets has proven to be frustrating when someone decides to shoot me a few texts.

The biggie I'm finding - No UMA aaaaaand, the reception is definitely worse. Before making the final jump I checked my reception at my house by killing my wifi completely for a day. I wanted to make sure I'd still have decent reception without UMA. The 9700 was flawless, never leaving me without signal. The iPhone is constantly without signal and takes forever to find it once it's gone. I drop calls non-stop at my house. The funny thing is the iPhone's signal meter goes from full bars to no signal and the phone doesn't even move. I thought it was just my device, but I confirmed this behavior with my neighbor up the street. He and his GF already returned to BB after 2 months of the iPhone. This alone is making me question if I can last with it til the 9800 comes to Tmo.

The apps were what was drawing me in, but for how I use my phone, they are about the same. There is a lot of fluff in the app store. Most apps I found are not that great, which I also found in the BB world. So when it really comes down to it, it seems the number of quality apps are about equal on both the BB and the iPhone. I can't comment on the game aspect of it as I'm not any type of gamer. I'm easily bored with games, so it's a non-issue for me. One thing I can say is for the BB, it was difficult if not impossible to grab free, paid apps. That's not the case on the iPhone. I have been using that as a method of try before you buy since I strongly believe in supporting the developers. Really though, if you wanted to go that route for free apps, it's there for the taking, and actually easier than making a purchase through the app store.

That's my findings so far anyway.
    Last edited by Risingsun124; 08-11-10 at 12:36 PM.
    08-11-10 12:22 PM
    It was in fantastic condition (I use was because I bought it) got three cases and a screen protected as well when I got it. Works absolutely great, already making a fantastic impression on me less then a week in

Glad you're enjoying it. It's a great phone. I almost don't want to craigslist and keep it as a backup to my i4.
    08-11-10 05:28 PM
    I would stick with a Blackberry, I doubt you will enjoy the very low battery life on the 3GS, plus when you play a game on the iPhone it swallows your battery life whole. If you want it for games, buy an iPod, the same crappy battery life. I keep mentioning battery life because that is important on a smart phone. Its all up to you though, iPhone has more apps but has a terrible notifications system, the lack of physical keys makes it a little more of a pain to use shortcuts(speed dial, dedicated camera button, mute key, etc.). The 3GS offers multitasking, however not apps support it(so this means you need to wait for your favorite app to work with iOS 4.0 multitasking). In my opinion, Blackberry is much better than iPhone, but if you can afford it... Get an Android phone, with a plethora of manufacturers digging in on the Android platform(Motorola
    and HTC etc.). It depends on what you're into.

multitasking, and keyboard: Blackberry
    Apps,, speed: iPhone

I personally like Android and Blackberry OS, iOS is definitely in 3rd

08-11-10 05:47 PM
    Should I make the switch, the opportunity has come up and it might be too hard to pass up.
    Yes, switch. You won't look back. I have been using blackberries for a little over 5 years. I picked a Iphone4. Let me tell you. There is nothing like it. Where to start?

1. I just updated the software today as a new release came out. It took less than 10 minutes. No resync issues. No BES enterprise activation. Piece of cake.
    2. The apps alone make it so worth it. So much more and usable.
    3. Twitter: now more getting error message openings links on twitter feeds.
    4. Browser: night and day difference
    5. Speed: it is quick and light on it's feet

I could go on, but you have to really use it to get it. You will either like it or not, but you should try it out.
    08-11-10 07:16 PM
    Look at your needs. I know mine so I'm sticking with BB
    08-11-10 11:21 PM
    does the ip4 have a decent battery? my 3gs was terrible. returned it the nest day. had terrible reception and typing issues. did they improve enough to convince someone who hates apple to switch? i dont like apple because ive had alot of issues over the years with them, but the iphone seems decent enough to use as a baseball, or hockey puck?
    08-12-10 06:55 AM
    MMmm, didn't you get ip4 yet? its almost a week since you posted 8-4-2010... * Hmmm *
    Yup, picked it up this morning. I was the 4th in line but the only one getting an i4.

My bday isn't until Monday and I did say a bday present to myself.
    08-13-10 05:14 PM
    Yup, picked it up this morning. I was the 4th in line but the only one getting an i4.

My bday isn't until Monday and I did say a bday present to myself.
    happy bday in case you're not around on then... ha =)
    08-13-10 06:15 PM
    It all depends on your needs, but once I was issued a company Blackberry Tour, and since my personal device was already a Tour, I had to go with the IPhone 4 and I love it. I will never go back to Blackberry as my personal device, and this is even after testing the Torch!!!!

08-13-10 10:28 PM
    I started my smartphone adventure on a BlackBerry Storm, I hated it. It was slow, clunky, and didn't work the way I wanted it. I'd always liked the idea of touch screen, so I broke contract w/verizon and went to ATT and the iPhone. Never looked back. I've messed around on a curve, and a tour and I just don't like it. I would say that BB's are better for some work things. E-mail, and I think if I were to use my phone for work I'd prolly want the physical keyboard instead of a touch screen. But if you like media? Games, iPod, Internet. Especially with the new 4? No contest. The test is rich, the OS is snappy, and responsive. You will never find yourself never bored and loving it. Keep in mind some key points though. There is no "damage" warranty for the iPhone through ATT, or if there is it will cost you an arm and a leg. So it is glass, if you have a little one or are clumsy you may think twice about an iPhone. I had a 3GS, and I dropped it in a toilet and they wanted to charge me 299. So I waited it out, for the new model because it I was going to say that I was going to get the latest one! All and All I LOVE the iPhone, and the new OS and the speed of the new one has taken my love to new heights. But like anything there are downfalls. I hope that answered your questions?
    08-13-10 11:24 PM
    I just switched from Curve 8900 to iPhone 4 and I don't regret it. The only thing you might miss is BBM, and only for the group chats.
    08-14-10 02:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD