Has anyone considered it?? i had a 3g and decided to move to a bold 9700 and im already regretting it... BBM between me and my girlfriend is the only thing thats holding me on.

id gladly move to iPhone 4 if it offers good specs etc..

what do you guys think??
    04-09-10 09:35 AM
    I will be switching. I switched from the 3G to the 9700 and I like it but I think with multitasking the iphone will be the cream of the crop

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-10 10:43 AM
    I was in the same boat for years (i.e. BBM & girlfriend). I switched to a 3G S, and had her switch a few months later. She couldn't stand the fact that I could get to websites and find locations a lot quicker than her...

Plus, I don't believe any device should have a feature\service that's specific to it, thus stopping people from using other devices. Albeit BBM is nice, it's not that nice

Has anyone considered it?? i had a 3g and decided to move to a bold 9700 and im already regretting it... BBM between me and my girlfriend is the only thing thats holding me on.

id gladly move to iPhone 4 if it offers good specs etc..

what do you guys think??
    04-09-10 10:57 AM
    Not as long as AT&T has the iphone on lock with there high prices and terrible service! My Tour works just great for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything except a better version. For all that extra stuff I have my Ipod Touch!
    04-09-10 11:22 AM
    yeah well im thinking of selling my handset for around 300.. and an iphone doesn't cost much more than that.. and it comes with a million more features.
    04-09-10 11:23 AM
    For me not having BES and having to use BIS is a dealbreaker. BIS is poor at best email. Sure, it pushes all the email, but Gmail is clunky at best, and it doesnt sync IMAP or Exchange folders.

Why pay the same for data for less features?

You now have a unified inbox like BB, and even more function in threaded emails like Gmail on a desktop.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-09-10 at 11:55 AM.
    04-09-10 11:32 AM
    I'm considering it.

Again the ONLY thing keeping me holiding on to my Storm2 is BBM...if it wasnt for that I would of probably went 3GS last November instead of the Storm2 for my upgrade.

But lately, RIMs slow development, the Storm2 niggles and the lack of new decent apps...are really making me feel I can live without my berry and BBM.

I'll just have to reconvince all the friends and family I told to get a BB, and instead join me with the iPhone.
    04-09-10 11:36 AM
    I'll just have to reconvince all the friends and family I told to get a BB, and instead join me with the iPhone.
    HAHAH im in the same boat, told my best boys and my girlfriend that they're "the next best thing" and we're all on bbm together (although iv ended up only talking to my girlfriend so im sure they dont care :P )

i think its worth it.. im surprised at RIM's lack of effort to keep up with the new smart phones and app stores.. the average price here is like.. what, 4??

ill have to see what this iPhone offers.. (although the gamecenter looks like its going to make psp's and all that nonsense obsolete)
    04-09-10 11:45 AM
    I still have the Bold 9000 and I have to say it has been THE best phone I have ever owned. I researched and knew almost everything about the phone before it was even released. The Bold is my first Blackberry and I have been very pleased with it for the most part. I am also someone who said that I would never own one of those crappy toy phones (iPhone) and I have been a die hard BB supporter. However, with that being said, I must now eat my words because I will definitely be switching to the iPhone 4 when it's released this summer and I am eligible for an upgrade. I suppose that I have found that I tend to use my phone more for "fun" stuff than business purposes. The main thing that has been disappointing to me about the Bold is the web browser. It is entirely too slow and outdated. Before I have a page loaded on my Bold, the person next to me on an iPhone using the same carrier (AT&T) already has the page loaded and zoomed in clear as a bell while I am still waiting on pics and graphics to load which may or may not ever completely load. With the upgrades to the new iPhone OS, I am definitely in. Hope I don't regret it because I admit that I do love my keyboard, but I suppose like everything else, it is something I'll eventually get used to. I'm just as excited and geeked-out now for the new iPhone as I was a couple of years ago for the Bold 9000. Can't wait to see the actual phone specs because the new OS does everything I need it to and then some.
    Last edited by UMRebel; 04-09-10 at 02:19 PM.
    04-09-10 02:16 PM
    I had Iphone 3G and 3GS and liked both of them. I changed over to the 9000 then 8900 and now the 9700. I love my 97 it's exactly what I need in a phone. but you never know when the 4g comes out I might consider it. I have to see it first and then...also want to see what OS6 will offer....... but in any case I will have a great phone
    04-09-10 02:55 PM
    I had Iphone 3G and 3GS and liked both of them. I changed over to the 9000 then 8900 and now the 9700. I love my 97 it's exactly what I need in a phone. but you never know when the 4g comes out I might consider it. I have to see it first and then...also want to see what OS6 will offer....... but in any case I will have a great phone
    Don't count on OS6 being anything special and coming out anytime soon. By the time it releases, Android and iPhone will already be way ahead of BB.
    04-09-10 03:18 PM
    Well you never know until it actually comes out. I'm not hoping for anything I'm actually really happy with the device I have at the moment. If in the future something else interests me than I'll get it. I don't really have any brand loyalty nor do I think I ever well .

Don't count on OS6 being anything special and coming out anytime soon. By the time it releases, Android and iPhone will already be way ahead of BB.
    04-09-10 06:16 PM
    I think i will switch to the I phone verizon is going to kill the tour in june. The I phone is just a faster better phone.

04-09-10 07:41 PM
    I still have the Bold 9000 and I have to say it has been THE best phone I have ever owned. I researched and knew almost everything about the phone before it was even released. The Bold is my first Blackberry and I have been very pleased with it for the most part. I am also someone who said that I would never own one of those crappy toy phones (iPhone) and I have been a die hard BB supporter. However, with that being said, I must now eat my words because I will definitely be switching to the iPhone 4 when it's released this summer and I am eligible for an upgrade. I suppose that I have found that I tend to use my phone more for "fun" stuff than business purposes. The main thing that has been disappointing to me about the Bold is the web browser. It is entirely too slow and outdated. Before I have a page loaded on my Bold, the person next to me on an iPhone using the same carrier (AT&T) already has the page loaded and zoomed in clear as a bell while I am still waiting on pics and graphics to load which may or may not ever completely load. With the upgrades to the new iPhone OS, I am definitely in. Hope I don't regret it because I admit that I do love my keyboard, but I suppose like everything else, it is something I'll eventually get used to. I'm just as excited and geeked-out now for the new iPhone as I was a couple of years ago for the Bold 9000. Can't wait to see the actual phone specs because the new OS does everything I need it to and then some.
    Most of the people who call the iphone a toy have never even used it and due it out of some twisted hatred of the device or Apple itself. Its still a good device and there are reasons why the things constantly gets the highest consumer satisfaction ratings year after year.

One can hope, but history dictates that if its anything like OS4->OS5 then it wont be anything special other than more lipstick on the pig.

RIM isnt willing to alienate their corporate users who refuse change, even though their consumer base is a much larger portion of their current business. Its sticky situation, sure, but RIM is also equally as stubborn to move forward and force change. If corporations are that dependent on the BB then they will adapt, or else RIM's ecosystem isnt as strong as they believe it to be.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-09-10 at 07:55 PM.
    04-09-10 07:53 PM
    if RIM does not improve the browser ...i am gone
    04-09-10 07:56 PM
    ...that was the main reason I switched in the first place! Besides the browser, the BlackBerry is a brilliant device.

if RIM does not improve the browser ...i am gone
    04-09-10 07:58 PM
    Before June/iphone 4.0 and new hardware? Seriously doubtful as that its only 2.5 months away from the new iphone reveal/possible release.
    04-09-10 07:59 PM
    I went to a 3gs from a Storm2 and I love it. Its so fast and has so many cool features! I liked BBM but most of my friends are too cheap to have Blackberries so losing that feature wasn't a huge deal for me. God help me if that 4th gen iPhone is a beast because even though I just got my 3gs a couple months ago, I'll have to get it-- even if I have to add a line!
    04-09-10 08:03 PM
    Most of the people who call the iphone a toy have never even used it and due it out of some twisted hatred of the device or Apple itself. Its still a good device and there are reasons why the things constantly gets the highest consumer satisfaction ratings year after year.
    I admit it. I was one of those people. I have never been an Apple fan. I don't like using a Mac and I think Apple's customer service stinks, but I do think they will have the best phone on the market (for my needs anyway) once the iPhone 4 is released this summer. I love all aspects of the touch screen except the keyboard. That is going to take some getting used to, but I have been practicing on friend's iPhones and don't think it's going to be difficult once I get the hang of it. I just have a feeling, especially after the preview of the new iPhone OS, that the iPhone 4 is going to be too good to pass up and right now I don't see anything on the horizon from Blackberry through AT&T to make me question the decision.
    04-09-10 09:53 PM
    I agree that from OS4 and OS5 there wasn't much difference but it seems ( or maybe I have a feeling ) that they are going to do something bigger with OS6. To be honest I don't think they have much choice..... The consumer market is where the big $ is and for the moment RIM is doing ok but Apple and Androide are moving and inovating at a fast paste and are offering more and more with each update. For them to keep and attract consumers they defenatly need to get more " consumer" oriented device. Only time will tell and I'm waiting to see what they do . But like I said if it doesn't impress me I wouldn't mind changing device when the time comes

One can hope, but history dictates that if its anything like OS4->OS5 then it wont be anything special other than more lipstick on the pig.

RIM isnt willing to alienate their corporate users who refuse change, even though their consumer base is a much larger portion of their current business. Its sticky situation, sure, but RIM is also equally as stubborn to move forward and force change. If corporations are that dependent on the BB then they will adapt, or else RIM's ecosystem isnt as strong as they believe it to be.
    04-09-10 11:32 PM
    I agree that from OS4 and OS5 there wasn't much difference but it seems ( or maybe I have a feeling ) that they are going to do something bigger with OS6. To be honest I don't think they have much choice..... The consumer market is where the big $ is and for the moment RIM is doing ok but Apple and Androide are moving and inovating at a fast paste and are offering more and more with each update. For them to keep and attract consumers they defenatly need to get more " consumer" oriented device. Only time will tell and I'm waiting to see what they do . But like I said if it doesn't impress me I wouldn't mind changing device when the time comes

I definitely dont disagree with you but then you have to wonder why OS4-OS5 didnt change outside of theyre just scared of change from what they were good at 5-10 years ago and their older age business customers are comfortable with.

I get the impression they have a Palm mentality now and they dont think people are capable of change like with Palm OS which took them until the time of sinking to finally take the leap, which is unfortunate.

Maybe RIM is just too comfortable at the top and dont feel anyone can touch them, which would also be an unfortunate attitude to take because in 3 years the iphone has taken 25% of the market and Android close to 10% in 2 years. Sure, a lot of that was Palm and MS marketshare, but RIM also used to control well over 50-55% of the US market which is down to 43% now.

The other factor is 80% of RIM's profit is from device sales. AS long as people keep buying them, they have little motivation to change quickly.

I totally agree with what you said about the consumer market, but I get this feeling RIM just doesnt get it still. The consumer market has big the last 5 years but its taken them this long to even acknowledge their consumer base and plan something like the browser for the consumers.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-09-10 at 11:39 PM.
    04-09-10 11:36 PM
    I think that with OS4 and 5 they had that mentality that it's selling why change it. But like you said Android is catching up fast and I think that with the new Iphone coming out ( if it goes to more carriers ) they are definitely going to get closer to RIM. I just can't see how a multi million or billion dollar company would sit back and watch as their market shares drop.
    But with the resent acquisitions RIM made and the new developer tools it looks like (to me) that they are planing to make a move. Browser being the first and most important thing.
    I won't say RIM is like Palm because RIM's market share is bigger than Palm ever was and they do have regular consumers also.... Which palm was mostly business oriented.
    But if they do make OS6 a "pig with lip stick" LOL. Than I would say that they are going to lose a large amount of their consumer base clients and have a hard time getting new ones.
    I basically look at OS6 as now or never for RIM. With OS5 they didn't have so much heat on them but now it's time to make a move for theme.
    Just my opinion.

I definitely dont disagree with you but then you have to wonder why OS4-OS5 didnt change outside of theyre just scared of change from what they were good at 5-10 years ago and their older age business customers are comfortable with.

I get the impression they have a Palm mentality now and they dont think people are capable of change like with Palm OS which took them until the time of sinking to finally take the leap, which is unfortunate.

Maybe RIM is just too comfortable at the top and dont feel anyone can touch them, which would also be an unfortunate attitude to take because in 3 years the iphone has taken 25% of the market and Android close to 10% in 2 years. Sure, a lot of that was Palm and MS marketshare, but RIM also used to control well over 50-55% of the US market which is down to 43% now.

The other factor is 80% of RIM's profit is from device sales. AS long as people keep buying them, they have little motivation to change quickly.

I totally agree with what you said about the consumer market, but I get this feeling RIM just doesnt get it still. The consumer market has big the last 5 years but its taken them this long to even acknowledge their consumer base and plan something like the browser for the consumers.
    04-09-10 11:54 PM
    i played with my brother's iphone, and i just can't imagine myself using the iphone as a daily driver. this is where bb wins for me. i will check out the iphone 4 in nyc when it is released just because im a tech junkie but i don't see myself converting to the iphone world anytime soon.
    04-10-10 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD