Anyone who reads my posts will see that I'm a hard core loyal Blackberry supporter, and on occasion, I've been called an iphone basher (not true-- I'm just very protective of my berry. LOL)
    Anyhow ... Last week I took my wife and my girls to Jamaica.
    A) for a change, and B) To control ridiculous data costs, I grabbed an iphone (I'm in the business) and put my sim in it. That way I can get my email only when I choose to; on the hotel wifi, and hence--for free.
    I've used the iphone in the past but this time, as an experiment, I left my berry at home, so I didn't have the option of running back to it. I would literally be stuck with the iphone. My findings weren't a big surprise-- it does many things very well and it's obviously very superior to the berry in the entertainment and amusement department. And now to the reason for this post......
    I am, and always have been-- OCD, or Anal, or whatever they call it-- about SAR ratings (most of you are tech heads, but for those who don't know-- SAR-- specific absorption rate,,,the radiation a phone emits).
    Because I had a lot of down time-- I surfed a lot. Check this out--
    When a manufacturer posts SAR levels, they post the highest sar reading attained during a test. The highest for the 3gs is 1.2-ish. The highest for the 9700 is 1.55--the highest for ANY phone. I already knew this. That's not what was disturbing. If you look for specific readings, as in-- sar when worn on the body, on the ear etc... You'll see that when using the phone regularly, as in, holding it to your head-- the 3gs emits 0.26 and the 9700 emits 1.55. I'm pretty good in math and that equates to SIX TIMES the radiation!!!!

Now-- before anyone starts up-- I know that nothing's really been proven. And no one knows if it's really damaging to our health etc etc, but TELL me you've never gone home with a headache after a heavy voice usage day with your 9700. :-)

So sadly.... I'm gonna live with the 3gs, if only for a while.

-I'll miss the short-cutting-- like the way I push "t" and I generate a "the".
    -I'll miss typing a person's name and it coming up-- ready for the send button.
    -I'll miss the browser-- and being able to lie sideways and not have the screen flip to landscape.
    -I'll miss the ridiculous battery time.
    - I'll miss the beautiful trackpad, although the touchscreen is really growing on me.
    - I'll miss my bbm (ah... Scratch that one. I won't miss all the annoyance)

Anyways. You're getting the point. I love my bb but Health comes first. And it's fun not knowing every single detail about your phone and learning. I'm still gonna hang here on the forum and I'm gonna leave my 9700 on my desk. But I'll be writing to you from my touch screen, not my keypad.
    Thx. :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 05:44 AM
    you one of those heath nuts huh. i smoke, i drink and i use a 9700. guess im dying young.

honestly, unless you have some serious heath risk or are very sensitive to RF radiation......who cares about SAR levels. but hey, maybe thats the legitimate OCD in you. do you know how much solar radiation you absorb every day when the sun is up? especially in sunny jamaica.....

i mean seriously, you would have a much better chance of getting melanoma or another skin cancer from sun exposure on a regular basis (proven fact) than experiencing long term effects of a cell phone in your pocket (still has yet to be proven).

by the way, with all the environmental extremeists out there, it seems that everything in this world is killing us!!!!!!! it just gets old.
    03-07-10 05:53 AM
    Hahahaha. Maybe you're right. And Maybe I just wanna mess with the apple.
    But seriously man-- sometimes I read **** at night when I can't sleep and it freaks me out!!

03-07-10 06:13 AM
    Enjoy your iPhone, ted!!! Wish you well with it!
    I was informed a while back that life isn't curable and you will die from it someday....and I'm now too old to die young....so since medically speaking I'm a hopeless case I will stay with my 9700 for the foreseeable future...
    03-07-10 06:34 AM
    Just say you want an iphone. No need for excuses.

03-07-10 06:35 AM
    It amazes me sometimes how dumb people can be....
    03-07-10 06:39 AM
    You may also want to forgo driving as it's proven to be extremely dangerous to your health. And maybe rethink the bathtub and stairs and scissors and leaving the house...
    03-07-10 06:45 AM
    Maybe use a blue tooth headset? Enjoy the iphone.

03-07-10 07:10 AM
    You may also want to forgo driving as it's proven to be extremely dangerous to your health. And maybe rethink the bathtub and stairs and scissors and leaving the house...
    LMAO...so true

03-07-10 07:13 AM
    Hey. Thanks for the support. You're all class acts.

03-07-10 07:20 AM
    Class is irrelevant. The point is that you're focusing on the potential risks associated with SAR while likely ignoring legitimate risks 100s or 1000s of times more likely to actually harm you in measurable ways. It's patently irrational and largely driven by media fearmongering. Don't buy into it. There are real risks out there to concern yourself with. Don't get hung up on the imagined ones.
    03-07-10 07:40 AM
    I don't know anyone that switches phones for the sar level. Just man up and say you want an iphone and be done...
    03-07-10 07:47 AM
    I don't know anyone that switches phones for the sar level. Just man up and say you want an iphone and be done...
    My stores move 1200 phones a month my friend. I can use any and as many phones as I'd like.
    But you're funny. Lol. At any given time, there are a half dozen high end phones sitting on my desk. All I said is I'm gonna give the 3gs a fair try. Stop throwing stones.
    :-)

03-07-10 08:08 AM
    My stores move 1200 phones a month my friend. I can use any and as many phones as I'd like.
    But you're funny. Lol. At any given time, there are a half dozen high end phones sitting on my desk. All I said is I'm gonna give the 3gs a fair try. Stop throwing stones.
    :-)

no Vertu, no care.
    03-07-10 08:10 AM
    lol this guy is a joke

pretty much he admitted he just wants the Iphone... thats fine, but dont make excuses for the switch
    03-07-10 08:25 AM
    Hey. Thanks for the support. You're all class acts.

Aaawww, it was love teasing!!! At least on my part!!!!
    03-07-10 08:27 AM
    I believe you would make a prime candidate to live in a bubble! Make sure that iPhone gets good signal in it.

03-07-10 08:27 AM
    Now i know why they call this site crackberry lol
    03-07-10 09:00 AM
    This is ridiculous. A guy switches his phone because of unfounded, unproven worries of radiation? Ridiculous.

There are SO many more things to worry about than SAR that actually show to be hurting us...how about all the chemicals/meds in our water that come from people's urine? How about the chemicals in our food? The UVB sun rays? The fact that 1 out of every 105ish kids are born with autism now and WHY is that happening?

03-07-10 09:47 AM
    I think you should switch to any phone you want for any reason you want, and not care what anybody thinks. I love my Storm, but there's a bunch of great phones out there. I certainly don't care what phone you have, besides yourself, I don't see why anyone else would either.
    03-07-10 11:26 AM
    BlueTooth is your friend. I don't like getting face grease on my phone anyways. You should try it. Then you won't have to worry about all those things you'll miss about your BlackBerry.
    03-07-10 12:16 PM
    God forbid anyone points out something bad in a Berry.

I'm gonna have to go back to lurking for a bit, because 99% of the time everyone has to tiptoe around to avoid the rabid wolfpack.

Ick.

OP, enjoy the iPhone. I can't wait for the Gen 4.
    03-07-10 12:37 PM
    If you want to be quiet with SAR, just dont buy a cell phone
    03-07-10 12:43 PM
    Have you wondered why the SAR level is lower?

Because the iPhone does not give as good a signal as most other phones, at least that's the opinion from the people I know running iPhones.

Tom
    03-07-10 12:43 PM
    BlueTooth is your friend. I don't like getting face grease on my phone anyways. You should try it. Then you won't have to worry about all those things you'll miss about your BlackBerry.
    + 1 My vote is for the blue tooth headset.

03-07-10 12:46 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD