I was a former Blackberry Bold user and now just switched to the iPhone 3GS 32GB. I just wanted to help anyone out who is contemplating the move or maybe just to inform people of my experience.

Selling my Blackberry Bold
    I was able to sell my Bold for $300 on Craigslist. I sold it with the charger, and a 16Gig Micro SD. I could have probably got more, but I just wanted to get it sold. With all the goodies, I could have waited to get about $325 or maybe even $350.

I didn't qualify for the discounted upgrade, so I was able to get the iPhone for about $200.00.

Ok...my reasons for switching:
    1. I'm all Mac. All of my PC's are Mac and despite Missing Sync and the Mac Sync, you still will never get the full functions without having a PC. Parallels was just not consistent enough for me. So from trying to deal with the Blackberry Mac Sync tool, Parallels, and even Missing Sync....It just was never robust enough. And you can forget about doing other features like installing OS and things like that, even though my AT&T update worked over the air.

2. Not enough updates. iPhone comes out with updates all the time. Yes, yes, I know some of the features should have came with the phone, but I like that you can almost get a new phone on an update.

3. iTunes integration - Let's face it that iTunes is pretty much IT! It integrates well.

4. This one I really hated about Blackberry: I hated how Blackberry utilized it's memory. Yes you can download apps, but what use is it if you can't use your SD card and only get 128MB of app memory. With the iPhone you get 32Gig of app memory. Memory, should be memory. So that totally changes how you utilize your memory.

Overall:

Overall I like the switch. I don't miss the iPhone. What I do miss about my Blackberry is:
    1. Flash on Camera
    2. A real zoom on the camera not a digital zoom
    3. I miss being able to update my address book via Facebook. iPhone Facebook doesn't have that.
    4. I miss being able to use my own MP3's for system sounds.
    5. I miss themes too!

But all this can be changed with Jailbreaking!

I was pleasantly surprised that I did not miss a physical keyboard. I am able to type just as fast on the screen on the iPhone.

So I guess it all boiles down for me as being a Mac user (2-laptops and a desktop), and the way iPhone will let you use your memory for apps, so you can have boat loads of stuff.

PS: My iPhone's GPS is wayyyyyy faster than the Bold. It took forever to find my location. iPhone's GPS works inside of the house where the Bold didn't. That is huge for me!

Hope this helps anyone...
    08-03-09 02:01 PM
    As long as you're happy. I hope you don't get flamed for this post.
    08-03-09 02:11 PM
    I assume you're not interested in security if you're switching to an iPhone.

"Apple might have demonstrated their inability to implement decent cryptographic protection of the content, but few phone systems even bother to make the attempt. With the notable exception of RIM's BlackBerry devices, it's best to assume that once an attacker has physical possession of the phone he'll gain access to the contents pretty quickly."

iPhone security cracked, smacked and broken �€� The Register

"Security experts have uncovered flaws in Apple Inc's iPhone that they said hackers can exploit to take control of the popular device, using the tactic for identity theft and other crimes...The researchers showed the audience how to break into iPhones by sending computer code via the phone's SMS system...They said that the phone's users cannot detect that it is receiving the malicious code."

iPhone vulnerable to hacker attacks: researchers | Technology | Reuters
    Last edited by oasissux; 08-03-09 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    08-03-09 02:39 PM
    Don't take this wrong but why is getting GPS IN your house a big deal? How big is your house? LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 03:07 PM
    Good luck with AT&T...they were the second worst provider out there until they merged with Singular. Now, they are a massive crap provider...my sister doesn't even get 3G service (iPhone) in Monroe, MI, 45mi south of Detroit and 20mi north of Toledo, OH. Calls drop constantly, there's static...uh, it's a nightmare.

I love all of Apple's toys, but their choice of ATT as the provider was ill advised and ultimately, this device is your phone, not just an "app" holder. You could have gotten an iTouch for that.
    Last edited by chad1433; 08-03-09 at 03:15 PM.
    08-03-09 03:12 PM
    I considered the iphone 3gs but it didn't have anything that I was interested in that my bold doesn't already have, not to mention I'm not into touch screens....
    iPhone: not interested
    Bold 9000: LOVE IT

08-03-09 03:17 PM
    Don't take this wrong but why is getting GPS IN your house a big deal? How big is your house? LOL

Because many apps use your global location where you are to find restaurants, movie theaters, etc...Almost every app for the iPhone uses your global position to determine how to search for things you need that are nearby you.
    08-03-09 03:17 PM
    I totally agree with you! The iPhone on Verizon would be perfect! But remember, I was stuck in that same situation with the Bold! It was only available for AT&T when I got the Bold too.....so I was stuck either way!

Good luck with AT&T...they were the second worst provider out there until they merged with Singular. Now, they are a massive crap provider...my sister doesn't even get 3G service (iPhone) in Monroe, MI, 45mi south of Detroit and 20mi north of Toledo, OH. Calls drop constantly, there's static...uh, it's a nightmare.

I love all of Apple's toys, but their choice of ATT as the provider was ill advised and ultimately, this device is your phone, not just an "app" holder. You could have gotten an iTouch for that.
    08-03-09 03:19 PM
    Good luck with your 3GS, I have been very happy with mine. It is a very capable device and AT&T, while not great hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I travel all over and generally when AT&T loses 3G, so does VZW at least in the places i've been. I did a review of coverage in a few major cities I visited with both phones in the iPhone subforum, I should update that post since i've traveled alot more places with both phones.
    08-03-09 03:34 PM
    Search Text: Email. Not found.

I am sure you are making the right choice, you have not mentioned email at all, it's fair to assume, you are not benefiting from BlackBerrys strenghts.

08-03-09 03:40 PM
    I know someone that switched from Verizon to AT&T just to get the iphone. Thee months later they went back to Verizon because they got no reception with AT&T.

I am personally tired of giving AT&T more of my money for new phones just to receive their same bad signal.
    08-03-09 03:42 PM
    i don't care what you do. I love my phone as I'm sure you'll love your Iphone but my only question is "why would you pay a monthly plan for a ipod touch that happens to have spotty voice service?" Should have down graded your phone, stuck with sprint aka "wallet ******" and picked up an itouch. IMO. Good luck though cause the iphone is great as conversation piece.
    08-03-09 03:51 PM
    You should live here in KC, verizon is garbage. It loses signal in the middle of suburbia. At least att works all over this city.
    08-03-09 03:51 PM
    I assume you're not interested in security if you're switching to an iPhone.

"Apple might have demonstrated their inability to implement decent cryptographic protection of the content, but few phone systems even bother to make the attempt. With the notable exception of RIM's BlackBerry devices, it's best to assume that once an attacker has physical possession of the phone he'll gain access to the contents pretty quickly."

iPhone security cracked, smacked and broken • The Register

"Security experts have uncovered flaws in Apple Inc's iPhone that they said hackers can exploit to take control of the popular device, using the tactic for identity theft and other crimes...The researchers showed the audience how to break into iPhones by sending computer code via the phone's SMS system...They said that the phone's users cannot detect that it is receiving the malicious code."

iPhone vulnerable to hacker attacks: researchers | Technology | Reuters

But Apple did have a OS fix for this within 24 hours
    08-03-09 04:03 PM
    You should live here in KC, verizon is garbage. It loses signal in the middle of suburbia. At least att works all over this city.
    Same here where I am. ATT service is great. I never have a problem with voice or data coverage. A lot has to do with where you are, IMO. Some carriers have better coverage in certain areas. I think it is unfair to say a blanket statement that one carrier is better than another and vice versa.
    08-03-09 04:29 PM
    Enjoy your new phone and don't hesitate to come back to us in the future should RIM build a device that suits your needs.
    08-03-09 04:29 PM
    Personally I think J-Black will have so so coverage with his Iphone not because of ATT but because IMO the device's radio is just plain and simply not that great. Wasn't there an issue with the Iphone's radio when it was released?
    08-03-09 04:33 PM
    Let's not forget the Apple came to Verizon first with the iPhone but Verizon turned it down. I had an iPhone on AT&T and I was very unhappy with the data and voice covereage; loved the device though! I do agree that an iPhone on Verizon would be amazing because, let's face it, Verizon has a larger "3G" footprint than AT&T does (if people don't believe me, I have a map that compares "3G" coverage)
    08-03-09 04:45 PM
    One thing I do remember about the iPhone 3G is that I would drop calls when I would call a friend who I used to carpool with. I would call him when I would be close to his house to pick him up. The calls would drop all the time and I would look at my iPhone and it would connect to 2G. Even on 2G the calls would drop. My Bold never had this problem with the same AT&T service.

08-03-09 05:07 PM
    Search Text: Email. Not found.

I am sure you are making the right choice, you have not mentioned email at all, it's fair to assume, you are not benefiting from BlackBerrys strenghts.

Actually, I am a business owner and live and die by the E-mail. I knew I was taking a risk, but to be honest POP3/SMTP is fine. Yes, it got there a little faster with the Bold, but not that much faster. I poll every 5-minutes, so from my perspective it feels instantaneous.

What I don't miss about the Blackberry Bold is the fact that all of my E-mail is stored in program Ram and not Memory Card Ram, so I have to once a week. Delete old messages and attachments, to keep room for just basic Program Ram on the bold. That sucked and not to mention the daily battery pull.

So with that said...the iPhone (IN MY EYES) is the better E-mail device, because the way it handles memory. It displays the first 50 messages. It can use the huge massive RAM that the iPhone has rather than the measly 128MB given by RIM. I can open attachments just fine. I don't have to delete messages, because the iPhone just seems to completely manage that for me.

And let's not mention that the screen is much larger to see the attachments.

What I don't like about the iPhone is that you can't make simple categories to save certain messages, unless you have LDAP.
    08-03-09 06:42 PM
    Personally I think J-Black will have so so coverage with his Iphone not because of ATT but because IMO the device's radio is just plain and simply not that great. Wasn't there an issue with the Iphone's radio when it was released?
    Nawww...It was definitely AT&T. I live in the City of Orlando, so there is no excuse. I was dropping calls with my Bold as well. At least AT&T admitted it and gave me credit back when I was having an issue. All my friends here hate the service too.

Either way it was AT&T for the Bold or the iPhone!
    08-03-09 06:47 PM
    That sucked and not to mention the daily battery pull. .
    There is no reason why you should have to do a daily battery pull....

Also, pop pull every 5 mins or imap idle might be roughly the same speed as push email, but the battery drain definitely is not...
    08-03-09 06:50 PM
    I wish the Bold had better support for Macs, but what do you expect.

But what I really hated about the Bold was the program RAM. E-mails, memory, and prgrams all shared that measly 128MB. Everytime I would download apps, I would watch my memory just drain. Then people would blame it on third part applications and say...."Don't use 3rd Party Apps" What?!...That's the only answer!!!!

And what's up with the constant battery pull to "refresh" the memory! That would get on my last nerves and Die hard Crackberry users just looked past it. I'm a realist...I don't subscribe to this RIM can do no wrong. Just like I have issues with the iPHone as well.....

But to me...having to do a battery pull on your phone once a day, and not allowing the memory card to store and run programs....as well as only limiting program memory to 128MB is unacceptable in this day and age of technology.
    08-03-09 06:58 PM
    How long has it been known that BB's don't allow app installs to the sd card though? It's like saying that it's unacceptable that the BIS traffic goes through a proxy...

Avoid the OS completely if this bothers you or buy one of the BB's with more app memory.
    08-03-09 07:06 PM
    love all of Apple's toys, but their choice of ATT as the provider was ill advised and ultimately, this device is your phone, not just an "app" holder. You could have gotten an iTouch for that.
    The iPhone is not a toy. It is just much more developer friendly than a BB. There is nothing wrong with that, and that does not make it a toy. It is a perfectly good business device also.

Apple also went to Verizon first. They could not come to an agreement. We all know how Verizon loves to lock things down and put their bloatware on devices. Apple did not want that, it is their product and they felt they should have full control over it. Cingular agreed to this and just wanted exclusivity, then the deal was made (not the full story of coarse, just shortened a bit).
    08-03-09 07:13 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD