Going with verizon would have been dumb anyways. Why opt for CDMA when you're branching out overseas...
    08-03-09 07:16 PM
    Well a couple things I noticed while reading your post. From a former iPhone user.

-DM for Macs comes out in Sept.
    -Enjoy your 3GS battery while multi-tasking via jailbreaking
    -iPhone updates with any real changes are far and few between
    -The radio/sound quality between my iPhone and Bold were night and day, in favor of the Bold... iPhone users claim the opposite... This seems to be a matter of opinion.

Hopefully it turns out better for you then it did for me. Good luck.
    08-03-09 07:17 PM
    Going with verizon would have been dumb anyways. Why opt for CDMA when you're branching out overseas...
    Well that too. But they did approach them first. I had the 8330 and will never buy a CDMA device ever again. I like simultaneous voice and data too much, and being able to unlock my phone and using it on any GSM carrier across the globe.
    08-03-09 07:31 PM
    The iPhone is not a toy. It is just much more developer friendly than a BB. There is nothing wrong with that, and that does not make it a toy. It is a perfectly good business device also.
    Your right its not a toy, but its a sad business device to be honest. I dont know of any iphone user who isnt flamboyantly throwing around game apps in my face (granted i am a gamer but more of the 5.1/1080p kind). With that being said, the wave of BB users just loading up on apps is due to iPhone users doing the exact same thing...many of which maybe get used once or twice but never deleted. Infact that seems to be the trend now with smartphones, put them on a catalog and let users download like a bat outta ****. Some apps are programmed poorly and will eat memory, thats just the way it is.

Remember your also giving up true multi-tasking as well.

If email and security are at the bottom of your lists then i say go for it, but in all seriousness if your just looking for a MP3/app ***** device just get the ipod touch lol
    08-03-09 07:36 PM
    Giving up a lot of push features as well. Push notifications for certain services isn't exactly on par with BIS/BES...
    08-03-09 07:40 PM
    You all know a Mac DM is in the works. Hopefully it will leak or be released soon.
    08-03-09 07:45 PM
    I miss push aim/msn/fb on my WM phone =(.

At least I have Seven beta for push email...
    08-03-09 07:55 PM
    lol, I was once an Iphone owner. Its a fun little device to own not going to lie the apps are pretty dang awesome. But it does a lot of things really well and doesn't do any of the very good. That was the part I didn't like about it at all. I love email/sms! It was really difficult for me to get through an email quickly because no buttons exist. Same with texting, it's really discreet to text without have to hear buttons click or anything like that but it's hard to text when you can't feel out the buttons. It's super hard to function through different programs also with the lag that I experienced along with the lack of precision when trying to press certain things. I'm a cell phone enthusiast and I fly through the OS and through different functions very quickly so it just didn't work for me. The Sidekick trained me to want to work through things that fast, which is why the Blackberry works so well for me. The Iphone just isn't my cup of tea! Also, service on mine here in Nashville was great.
    08-03-09 08:12 PM
    I have both an iPhone 3GS (32GB) and a BB Tour.

While I like the iPhone very much, AT&T sucks where I am (NO signal inside the building at work) and the iPhone isn't supported by our IT department.

Verizon's signal, however, is 4-5 bars everywhere in the building at work. And I've got full BES email/calendar/directory/tasks integration.

So, while I still have my iPhone for music, video, fun-type apps, I do all my real work on the BB.

I'd still use the iPhone if it were on VZW and our IT supported it. But the Tour is a fine device, and true multitasking is nice after being stuck on the iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 08:19 PM
    Well a couple things I noticed while reading your post. From a former iPhone user.

-DM for Macs comes out in Sept.
    -Enjoy your 3GS battery while multi-tasking via jailbreaking
    -iPhone updates with any real changes are far and few between
    -The radio/sound quality between my iPhone and Bold were night and day, in favor of the Bold... iPhone users claim the opposite... This seems to be a matter of opinion.

Hopefully it turns out better for you then it did for me. Good luck.
    - DM for Macs was too late for me to wait. Plus, I must admit the I do like MobileMe. The ability to wipe your phone remotely if you loose it, or to send a message to it and wake it up even if the power is turned off is sweet.

- Yes you are right...Battery life does suck compared to the Bold. Don't forget your car charger or you are in trouble!

- I partially agree with you on the updates. Apple does give frequent updates, but they only seem to update the things they feel are important. For example the iDisk App they just gave for free and 3.1 is already around the corner, but I much rather have the ability to be able to change my SMS text sounds to what I want to.

***But let's not talk about RIM/AT&T updates for the Bold! Yes there are tons of Non-Supported updates that I couldn't install anyway without a PC, but it took entirely too too long for a simple update for the Bold. So in comparing both of them....RIM/AT&T OFFICIAL updates are super slow!

- Yes, I agree! The speakers on the Bold are way better than on the iPhone! I did miss them! Good thing is that when I sold my Bold, I did keep those awesome headsets.

Remember I'm not saying it was a landslide decision! I'm just saying I'm much more happier with my iPhone!
    08-03-09 08:29 PM
    If you want remote wipe all you need is Roblock (1 time fee) or Smrtguard (subscription) which also gives you device tracking, server data backup, etc, etc.

Considering Roblock is $10 period, you get that + some other remote features for very cheap...
    08-03-09 08:33 PM
    ***But let's not talk about RIM/AT&T updates for the Bold! Yes there are tons of Non-Supported updates that I couldn't install anyway without a PC, but it took entirely too too long for a simple update for the Bold. So in comparing both of them....RIM/AT&T OFFICIAL updates are super slow!
    As a Macbook Pro user I must agree with you here... It is a pain having to borrow a spare PC laptop hanging around the house just to do an update. Buttttt I can deal with it. Just like how you can deal with some of the iPhone issues. Enjoy your new phone and CB will still be here when you come back haha, just kidding, maybe...
    08-03-09 08:48 PM
    Let's not forget the Apple came to Verizon first with the iPhone but Verizon turned it down. I had an iPhone on AT&T and I was very unhappy with the data and voice covereage; loved the device though! I do agree that an iPhone on Verizon would be amazing because, let's face it, Verizon has a larger "3G" footprint than AT&T does (if people don't believe me, I have a map that compares "3G" coverage)
    I wonder with how well the iPhone sells that if verizon regrets turning it down?? Well I believe Verizon will have the iphone in a couple of years. I dont think its good to have just one carrier sell it. It would be good for Verizon to have their version as well.
    08-03-09 09:11 PM
    But Apple did have a OS fix for this within 24 hours
    Actually it took Apple over a month to fix this issue not a day, Windows and Android fixed it within a day of finding out about the exploit.
    08-09-09 11:42 PM
    I was a former Blackberry Bold user and now just switched to the iPhone 3GS 32GB. I just wanted to help anyone out who is contemplating the move or maybe just to inform people of my experience.

Selling my Blackberry Bold
    I was able to sell my Bold for $300 on Craigslist. I sold it with the charger, and a 16Gig Micro SD. I could have probably got more, but I just wanted to get it sold. With all the goodies, I could have waited to get about $325 or maybe even $350.

I didn't qualify for the discounted upgrade, so I was able to get the iPhone for about $200.00.

Ok...my reasons for switching:
    1. I'm all Mac. All of my PC's are Mac and despite Missing Sync and the Mac Sync, you still will never get the full functions without having a PC. Parallels was just not consistent enough for me. So from trying to deal with the Blackberry Mac Sync tool, Parallels, and even Missing Sync....It just was never robust enough. And you can forget about doing other features like installing OS and things like that, even though my AT&T update worked over the air.

2. Not enough updates. iPhone comes out with updates all the time. Yes, yes, I know some of the features should have came with the phone, but I like that you can almost get a new phone on an update.

3. iTunes integration - Let's face it that iTunes is pretty much IT! It integrates well.

4. This one I really hated about Blackberry: I hated how Blackberry utilized it's memory. Yes you can download apps, but what use is it if you can't use your SD card and only get 128MB of app memory. With the iPhone you get 32Gig of app memory. Memory, should be memory. So that totally changes how you utilize your memory.

Overall:

Overall I like the switch. I don't miss the iPhone. What I do miss about my Blackberry is:
    1. Flash on Camera
    2. A real zoom on the camera not a digital zoom
    3. I miss being able to update my address book via Facebook. iPhone Facebook doesn't have that.
    4. I miss being able to use my own MP3's for system sounds.
    5. I miss themes too!

But all this can be changed with Jailbreaking!

I was pleasantly surprised that I did not miss a physical keyboard. I am able to type just as fast on the screen on the iPhone.

So I guess it all boiles down for me as being a Mac user (2-laptops and a desktop), and the way iPhone will let you use your memory for apps, so you can have boat loads of stuff.

PS: My iPhone's GPS is wayyyyyy faster than the Bold. It took forever to find my location. iPhone's GPS works inside of the house where the Bold didn't. That is huge for me!

Hope this helps anyone...
    Being a former Bold user turned iPhone user I completely agree. It was frustrating trying to sync my Bold/ Storm to my Mac. The iPhone keeps up with heavy usage. I found my blackberry having to stop and catch its breath in order to keep up with heavy usage. . .
    08-10-09 12:17 AM
    Actually, I am a business owner and live and die by the E-mail. I knew I was taking a risk, but to be honest POP3/SMTP is fine. Yes, it got there a little faster with the Bold, but not that much faster. I poll every 5-minutes, so from my perspective it feels instantaneous.

What I don't miss about the Blackberry Bold is the fact that all of my E-mail is stored in program Ram and not Memory Card Ram, so I have to once a week. Delete old messages and attachments, to keep room for just basic Program Ram on the bold. That sucked and not to mention the daily battery pull.

So with that said...the iPhone (IN MY EYES) is the better E-mail device, because the way it handles memory. It displays the first 50 messages. It can use the huge massive RAM that the iPhone has rather than the measly 128MB given by RIM. I can open attachments just fine. I don't have to delete messages, because the iPhone just seems to completely manage that for me.

And let's not mention that the screen is much larger to see the attachments.

What I don't like about the iPhone is that you can't make simple categories to save certain messages, unless you have LDAP.
    How does the iphone display html emails? Is it like the desktop?
    08-27-09 11:28 AM
    I was a former Blackberry Bold user and now just switched to the iPhone 3GS 32GB. I just wanted to help anyone out who is contemplating the move or maybe just to inform people of my experience.

Selling my Blackberry Bold
    I was able to sell my Bold for $300 on Craigslist. I sold it with the charger, and a 16Gig Micro SD. I could have probably got more, but I just wanted to get it sold. With all the goodies, I could have waited to get about $325 or maybe even $350.

I didn't qualify for the discounted upgrade, so I was able to get the iPhone for about $200.00.

Ok...my reasons for switching:
    1. I'm all Mac. All of my PC's are Mac and despite Missing Sync and the Mac Sync, you still will never get the full functions without having a PC. Parallels was just not consistent enough for me. So from trying to deal with the Blackberry Mac Sync tool, Parallels, and even Missing Sync....It just was never robust enough. And you can forget about doing other features like installing OS and things like that, even though my AT&T update worked over the air.

2. Not enough updates. iPhone comes out with updates all the time. Yes, yes, I know some of the features should have came with the phone, but I like that you can almost get a new phone on an update.

3. iTunes integration - Let's face it that iTunes is pretty much IT! It integrates well.

4. This one I really hated about Blackberry: I hated how Blackberry utilized it's memory. Yes you can download apps, but what use is it if you can't use your SD card and only get 128MB of app memory. With the iPhone you get 32Gig of app memory. Memory, should be memory. So that totally changes how you utilize your memory.

Overall:

Overall I like the switch. I don't miss the iPhone. What I do miss about my Blackberry is:
    1. Flash on Camera
    2. A real zoom on the camera not a digital zoom
    3. I miss being able to update my address book via Facebook. iPhone Facebook doesn't have that.
    4. I miss being able to use my own MP3's for system sounds.
    5. I miss themes too!

But all this can be changed with Jailbreaking!

I was pleasantly surprised that I did not miss a physical keyboard. I am able to type just as fast on the screen on the iPhone.

So I guess it all boiles down for me as being a Mac user (2-laptops and a desktop), and the way iPhone will let you use your memory for apps, so you can have boat loads of stuff.

PS: My iPhone's GPS is wayyyyyy faster than the Bold. It took forever to find my location. iPhone's GPS works inside of the house where the Bold didn't. That is huge for me!

Hope this helps anyone...
    I have always wondered about the iphone 3GS. It's the only phone that I have compared to my Bold since I've gotten it last year. I didn't even waste my time with other devices. I wanted to ask you a few questions about the iphone if you don't mind.

1. how does it handle GPS? because it doesn't multitask, what happens when a call comes in during navigation? Does it stop and allow the call to come through? does it send the call to voicemail? if it does stop, do you have to input the address info all over again?

2. how often does the phone freeze? when it freezes, how do you unfreeze it seeing as though you can't do a battery pull or a ctrl, alt, delete to restart it?

3. can you download movies straight to the phone for viewing or do you have to sync it with itunes first? same with games?

4. is there an OTA wireless upgrade feature like the Bold?

5. is there insurance for the phone through the carrier? if not, how do you insure it?
    08-27-09 11:43 AM
    I want to buy an iPhone 3Gs, but want to use it on T-Mobile since it is much cheaper since I don't need voice. I know I can buy the phone at full retail price on a no contract deal with ATT, and then just unlock and cancel, and switch to T-Mobile. But, what exactly is stopping me from buying it at 2 year pricing for $199, then just canceling the contract a few days later, paying the ETF, and thus having an iPhone cheaper than full retail?
    08-30-09 07:11 PM
    I want to buy an iPhone 3Gs, but want to use it on T-Mobile since it is much cheaper since I don't need voice. I know I can buy the phone at full retail price on a no contract deal with ATT, and then just unlock and cancel, and switch to T-Mobile. But, what exactly is stopping me from buying it at 2 year pricing for $199, then just canceling the contract a few days later, paying the ETF, and thus having an iPhone cheaper than full retail?
    Pretty sure you're going to have to wait 30 days if you want to do it that way.
    08-30-09 07:38 PM
    Pretty sure you're going to have to wait 30 days if you want to do it that way.
    But how come? Are they going to bill me retail price of the phone?
    08-30-09 07:42 PM
    But how come? Are they going to bill me retail price of the phone?
    Because you have a 30 day trial period. It is in place so you can't screw them out of money. If you cancel within 30 days, you have to give the phone back. If you cancel after 30 days, your trial period is over and it is your device, you just need to pay the ETF.

You can't pay the ETF within the trial period, because it is a trial period. At least to my knowledge you can't.
    08-30-09 07:49 PM
    After three BBs I bought the iPhone 3GS a few months ago. I'll admit the phone is really nice, but I'll be going back to BB when the 9700 comes out. I use both PC and Macs, so I don't have a bias for either.

iPhone 3SG Pros:
    - Amazing screen and touch ability
    - Best apps by far and pricing (most are 99 cents)
    - Pictures and video are great quality for a smart phone
    - Browser is best around by a looong shot

iPhone 3GS Cons:
    - Horrible battery life (must charge twice a day with moderate use)
    - Again, battery life is horrible - it's that bad for me and I turn many things off
    - Has the best touch screen keyboard but still prefer the physical
    - Only has two profiles (loud and silent)
    - Still no MMS which is just sad on ATTs part

Overall, I love the iPhone 3GS. It's very addicting with all its bazillion apps and games, you can play with it for hours. The screen is beautiful and the touch screen is very well made. But, the battery life is just horrible. I shouldn't have to "not use" the phone to save battery life. My 8900 lasted two days with moderate use, iPhone 3GS lasts 8-12 hours if that.

The biggest thing I'll miss from the iPhone 3GS are the apps and the beautiful screen, it's amazing and really fun for both function and play. But, in the end I think BlackBerry has better functionality, battery life, and hopefully their apps will get better and better.
    08-30-09 08:10 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD