I was told by many people that if i keep my blackberry data plan and take my sim out of my bb to my iphone ATT will see this and add a an atra fee is this true? What i have been doing is calling att and changing my data plan threw speaking to customers service and changing it on there end. Is there any easier way?
    07-26-09 12:21 PM
    Call AT&T and tell them your SIM swapping between an iphone and a BB, they will set up the account to allow you to shift between the two.
    07-26-09 12:56 PM
    Oh yeah I'll try thank you
    07-26-09 10:09 PM
    I didn't know ATT could do that.
    07-26-09 10:47 PM
    They told me today, they couldn't.
    08-31-09 10:06 PM
    @mpafr012 is correct. The only problem is most reps don't even know that is possible. I had to actually tell the rep where to find it in our Policies & Procedures. Heck, they would argue that I was incorrect until I would say that I'm a manager and I actually trained my own reps on this.

So... the truth is, once you have a BlackBerry plan, you'll be safe. The other issue is that Apple and AT&T did some funny stuff with the 3GS and 3.0 that may require you to either do the above or if unsuccessful, use the following link to set data up to work using the BlackBerry data plan:

unlockit.co.nz/

You will need wifi or to change your BB data into the iPhone data plan until you can configure the apn.
    08-31-09 10:42 PM
    @mpafr012 is correct. The only problem is most reps don't even know that is possible. I had to actually tell the rep where to find it in our Policies & Procedures. Heck, they would argue that I was incorrect until I would say that I'm a manager and I actually trained my own reps on this.

So... the truth is, once you have a BlackBerry plan, you'll be safe. The other issue is that Apple and AT&T did some funny stuff with the 3GS and 3.0 that may require you to either do the above or if unsuccessful, use the following link to set data up to work using the BlackBerry data plan:

unlockit.co.nz/

You will need wifi or to change your BB data into the iPhone data plan until you can configure the apn.
    If you are adding a line and want to purchase an iphone is this still the case? They said I have to select an iphone data plan to purchase an iphone for my wife despite already having unlimited data on my bb bold.
    08-31-09 10:46 PM
    If you are adding a line and want to purchase an iphone is this still the case? They said I have to select an iphone data plan to purchase an iphone for my wife despite already having unlimited data on my bb bold.
    If the iPhone is staying on that line, then yes, it is required.

If you're just going to use the iPhone on a different line, you will need the new phone on the line you opened with the phone to be able to take the data plan off when you get home (by calling customer service)
    09-01-09 12:15 AM
    If the iPhone is staying on that line, then yes, it is required.

If you're just going to use the iPhone on a different line, you will need the new phone on the line you opened with the phone to be able to take the data plan off when you get home (by calling customer service)
    First, thank you for the response. I'm new to this so I apologize if this is repetitive but I'm still not exactly sure what I should do given my situation. I currently have a Bold w/an unlimited data plan. I'm looking to get my wife an iphone and add her to my account (just married). I also want to get myself an iphone for use on the weekends.

I know I need to add a line to get her on my account along w/the iphone. However, today a customer service rep told me that I would have to purchase the iphone data plan in addition to the $35 unlimited bb plan I already have, otherwise the iphone wouldn't work. He also said if I tried to switch my sim on the weekends to an iphone there is a chance they would drop my BB plan and switch me to an iphone plan. I want to make sure I dont lose my current bb data plan because it is legacy'd in for unlimited use at $35 and if it gets removed there is no way to add it back which means it will cost me $10 more/month.

Is there a way to:

1) Purchase an iphone for her and use my existing data plan without having to add the iphone specific plan (i.e., still use my BB unlimited data plan) for her new line/iphone?

2) use my BB data plan on my iphone during the weekends so I can just swap sims without having to switch/add plans?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ddcobb; 09-01-09 at 07:09 AM.
    09-01-09 12:57 AM
    I'm looking to do the same thing. I currently have an activated iPhone 3GS and a BlackBerry Bold (sitting in my desk drawer). I would like to be able to use the BlackBerry Bold and iPhone 3GS on the same line...if I have a BES account through work, you're saying that I would just need to have AT&T setup my account to allow for the SIM swapping but essentially I would just be paying for the BB Enterprise data plan?
    09-01-09 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD