hi everyone,

basically, the title says it all, but i'm strongly considering the iphone 3gs. i'm also very interested in the onyx. currently i have a pearl 8100 so i realize either of these phones is a substantial upgrade over my current device.

i understand i will be sacrificing some productivity on the email front (i.e. attachments), but as a student, my life won't be left in disarray. i do bbm with friends in international countries, but i'm even willing to forgo that ability. i'm more curious about the little things that differ between both phones.

there's a few question i have to the bb to iphone converts:
    • as a pearl user, an understanding of the bb shortcuts is huge. do you miss being able to skip from top to bottom, page down, page up, etc.?

• how about being able to go from email/message back to the desktop, maneuver around the bb, and eventually return to the email without going through the menus all over again?

• bb, even cheap motorola/nokia/sony ericcson/etc., have the feature where you can just type a contacts name from the home screen and their details will appear. is the lack of this ability and using the search a frustrating process?

• lack of removable battery and battery life? (i'm more concerned about the battery life aspect)

• saving, viewing, and emailing attachments?

• lack of autotext?

• on a separate note, anyone have any information about unlocking an iphone and using it in other countries?

with over 50gb of music and an ipod classic, i don't plan on using the ipod aspect of the iphone, so i would most likely purchase the 16gb. i'm a huge fantasy sports fan and i love that there's a myriad of fantasy sports apps for the iphone, but ultimately i've only found a few apps i've been enamored by. the camera is not a concern of mine.

again i understand both phones are a substantial upgrade over my pearl, but any insight provided would be much appreciated. basically, if the consensus isn't horrible then i'll pretty much go for an iphone.

if only they had ibb...
    Last edited by mad_eyes; 10-07-09 at 04:14 AM.
    10-07-09 04:11 AM
    hi everyone,

basically, the title says it all, but i'm strongly considering the iphone 3gs. i'm also very interested in the onyx. currently i have a pearl 8100 so i realize either of these phones is a substantial upgrade over my current device.

i understand i will be sacrificing some productivity on the email front (i.e. attachments), but as a student, my life won't be left in disarray. i do bbm with friends in international countries, but i'm even willing to forgo that ability. i'm more curious about the little things that differ between both phones.

there's a few question i have to the bb to iphone converts:
    • as a pearl user, an understanding of the bb shortcuts is huge. do you miss being able to skip from top to bottom, page down, page up, etc.?

• how about being able to go from email/message back to the desktop, maneuver around the bb, and eventually return to the email without going through the menus all over again?

• bb, even cheap motorola/nokia/sony ericcson/etc., have the feature where you can just type a contacts name from the home screen and their details will appear. is the lack of this ability and using the search a frustrating process?

• lack of removable battery and battery life? (i'm more concerned about the battery life aspect)

• saving, viewing, and emailing attachments?

• lack of autotext?

• on a separate note, anyone have any information about unlocking an iphone and using it in other countries?

with over 50gb of music and an ipod classic, i don't plan on using the ipod aspect of the iphone, so i would most likely purchase the 16gb. i'm a huge fantasy sports fan and i love that there's a myriad of fantasy sports apps for the iphone, but ultimately i've only found a few apps i've been enamored by. the camera is not a concern of mine.

again i understand both phones are a substantial upgrade over my pearl, but any insight provided would be much appreciated. basically, if the consensus isn't horrible then i'll pretty much go for an iphone.

if only they had ibb...
    Just switched from a Tour and have not looked back. No problem with attachments that I have found i get them all. Not missing shortcuts whatsoever and quite frankly coming from a pearl the screen size should be enough for you to switch.

There are plenty of threads and other forums about unlocking the iPhone.

I say go for it.
    10-07-09 06:51 AM
    I say go for the iPhone. The fact that you are aware of of of these differences makes it alot easier to deal with.

Yes you will miss bbm,auto text, and instant email, and all of the shortcuts of a bb.
    My biggest concern was the battery and surprisingly it turned out to be a non issue, also you can buy a spare battery.

The thing that takes the MOST getting used to for me is the lack of multitasking, in particular on IM clients. Your messsages are pushed but once you open the app, it takes a few seconds to load the app and what was pushed. Things just aren't instant like on a BB. But I knew this beforehand so i deal with it.

You will love the ipone though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 07:14 AM
    I no longer have an iPhone, but I still frequent the forum because I had what I consider a bad breakup and I miss the gorgeouness of the phone. It was like having an affair with a gorgeous, fantastic lover who left you disappointed the minute you got your clothes on.

I dealt with the fact that in order to have the battery last for 36 hours I had to turn off all location services and apps. Also having to turn off 3G to make the battery last. And *really* missed the absence of push, instant mail and the ability to multitask. I used it exclusively the first few days, and I found that I had to come up with workarounds to deal with the stuff that I was used to doing on my Bold.

But the real deal breaker was the battery life and the fact that I could not change my own battery in case of an emergency.

I kept the Bold - used them simultaneously from about the second week since I had two lines. What I found was that I felt safe having the reliability of the bberry. I used the iPhone to play because of its unparalleled web experience. It was a gorgeous toy.

I'll go back to my teeny tiny notebook to do the things I used to do on my iPhone. My experiment did not work for me. Too bad, I *really* wanted the iPhone.
    10-07-09 08:06 AM
    I say go for it. I tried the pearl and I went back to the iphone in about a day. I have thought about trying a bold but I am hesitant because I like the iphone so much. I guess I just get bored with what I have and want to try something else lol.
    10-07-09 08:33 AM
    I am about to make a jump from the tour on verizon to a 3Gs. Can't wait to see what it has to offer!
    10-07-09 08:44 AM
    with actual normal use and not using that battery saver app/turning stuff down or off, typically how long will the iphone battery last?
    10-09-09 12:13 AM
    with actual normal use and not using that battery saver app/turning stuff down or off, typically how long will the iphone battery last?
    I've been getting a minimum of 12 hours with 'normal' to heavy use which is great!

I also carry a spare and I've only needed it twice in 2 weeks.
    10-09-09 12:49 AM
    I've been getting a minimum of 12 hours with 'normal' to heavy use which is great!

I also carry a spare and I've only needed it twice in 2 weeks.
    spare battery? like one of the ones u plug in at the bottom?
    10-09-09 03:16 AM
    Yes. That's the one I have, it's by kennsington and it cost $28. I was also considering one called Mophie juice pack air that doubles as a phone case $80. but the reviews I read are so mixed.

Last edited by Teek; 10-09-09 at 09:10 AM.
    10-09-09 07:26 AM
    10-09-09 09:10 AM
    I think you should go for it. I did and it wasnt the right timing. I think the analogy of a bad breakup is great as I feel the same way. I find myself constantly asking friends to google things on their iphone because it takes so long on my 8900. I miss the abilities that the iphone had and cannot remember the things that bothered me enough to come back to BB. I feel like I am doomed to jump again. Can't BB just make an iphone like phone (media and web wise) with all the things I love about BB. Is that too much to ask?
    10-09-09 02:45 PM
    Buja you hit it on nose!
    I carry around a 3GS and my Bold because I can't be without either for various tasks. It really actually pisses me off. Th e Twitter experience is what is so crazy different for me too. Not being able to keep it completely connected is frustrating on the iPhone. Maybe someday I will have everything I want on one device!

10-09-09 02:56 PM
    Do it. You won't regret it.
    10-09-09 07:54 PM
    thanks for all the input.

like a few of you said, there are times when i just want to wikipedia/google something just for curiosity sake. Bolt (used to use opera but the new version on the 8100 lags) does everything i need, but doesn't have the umph i'm looking for.

honestly, i feel better knowing i have that 30 day trial period. i've done enough research to know what to expect, but if i hate it then i can always grab the bold 2 without penalty

Buja you hit it on nose!
    I carry around a 3GS and my Bold because I can't be without either for various tasks. It really actually pisses me off. Th e Twitter experience is what is so crazy different for me too. Not being able to keep it completely connected is frustrating on the iPhone. Maybe someday I will have everything I want on one device!

could u elaborate on the twitter experience on both phones please?
    10-10-09 05:31 AM
    I did a swtch from verizons 8830 WE to the iPhone 3G, ive always had blackberries since the 8100 first came out on Tmobile. I miss the full physical keyboard, but the updated OS (now ships with new iphones) has cut,copy,paste and a landscaping digital keyboard. Ive gotten use to it very quickly and have yet to look back.

Keep your peal as a backup phone, or if you ever feel the urge to swap the SIM back into a BB you have it.

Apple makes great products, if you like their products, youll love the phone.
    10-15-09 09:46 AM
    I did a swtch from verizons 8830 WE to the iPhone 3G, ive always had blackberries since the 8100 first came out on Tmobile. I miss the full physical keyboard, but the updated OS (now ships with new iphones) has cut,copy,paste and a landscaping digital keyboard. Ive gotten use to it very quickly and have yet to look back.

Keep your peal as a backup phone, or if you ever feel the urge to swap the SIM back into a BB you have it.

Apple makes great products, if you like their products, youll love the phone.
    ya it's always useful to have a good backup phone.

thanks for the input.
    10-16-09 01:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD