Trojan if your it hasn't done this it won't work.

Setting up a corporate email server for iOS devices

Thanks, I'll forward this on.
    08-15-11 01:08 PM
    trojan, have you been to TiPb for the vzw iP4 info also? heres the link:

VzW iPhone4 forum

perhaps you may be able to find some info there on syncing your work email.

g'luck, i hope you can get that wrinkle worked out !!
    Yup, posted in there just awhile ago. Not so much asking for help yet though. My IT guy is working on it with the link Accidental gave me. Well, my IT guy will work it when he chooses to anyway.
    08-15-11 01:19 PM
    Battery update: 95% when I got to work at 7:45. Couple emails from home, no work email sync yet. Two phone calls, no running APPS really, just phone, settings, (tinkering trying to get email set) email on, and messaging. 11:20 now, and at 66%

I did use the maps and internet a couple times, just to show a couple people what it can do. Jumped into facebook once. Played a 15 second video clip on the camera too.

Not sure if this is good or average for drainage yet. Will monitor this week before making a decision.
    08-15-11 01:22 PM
    Yep you can't just try to connect the phone to Exchange the server needs to be config'd to work with the device.....good luck.
    08-15-11 01:23 PM
    Battery update: 95% when I got to work at 7:45. Couple emails from home, no work email sync yet. Two phone calls, no running APPS really, just phone, settings, (tinkering trying to get email set) email on, and messaging. 11:20 now, and at 66%

I did use the maps and internet a couple times, just to show a couple people what it can do. Jumped into facebook once. Played a 15 second video clip on the camera too.

Not sure if this is good or average for drainage yet. Will monitor this week before making a decision.

Don't sweat it. ANY phone will eat battery during initial setup. Once you get it squared away you will probably be like mine 100% off charger 2:30 p.m. at 89%.

Although I am running iOS 5 beta 5
    08-15-11 01:27 PM
    Don't sweat it. ANY phone will eat battery during initial setup. Once you get it squared away you will probably be like mine 100% off charger 2:30 p.m. at 89%.

I was tempted to try the new iOS, but really almost don't wanna mess with all that until I have this phone down pat. Also, with the 5 almost ready to launch, feel like I can just wait for it.

Any major differences? Does it give email notification?
    08-15-11 01:32 PM
    08-15-11 02:00 PM

My Iphone 4 gets taken off the charger around 5am and usually by 3pm I'm down to 40-50% battery life and that just with some texting and e-mails, NO phone calls and very little internet surfing.
    08-15-11 03:31 PM
    hows your signal?

VZW is solid here.....and now they are in the Hospital with repeaters it's even better.
    08-15-11 04:38 PM
    hows your signal?

VZW is solid here.....and now they are in the Hospital with repeaters it's even better.

Pretty good so far. I did have a dropped call this morning, but not sure if my end or on the other end. If that becomes the norm, the phone will go back. I dig this thing so far, but I do want a phone FIRST, everything else, second. Hoping it was an anomaly.

50% charge left, almost 3pm now.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    08-15-11 04:47 PM
    Yup, posted in there just awhile ago. Not so much asking for help yet though. My IT guy is working on it with the link Accidental gave me. Well, my IT guy will work it when he chooses to anyway.
    great, hopefully your IT guy will get that resolved and email going for you SOON !! i've posted over there a bit as well myself

as for your battery, i can tell you when my husband first got his, the battery drained kinda quick the first few days, but after getting a few charging cycles after that, he gets pretty good batt life. comes off charger at 530am, usually home about 6pm--over the course of the day he does a few ph calls/txs. when he arrives home his batt is usually average 80-85%, then i nab the thing for the rest of the night & i'm on the web, few games etc. plug in to charge for the night around 10 and by then after i've had it-its hoovering around 45-50% unless i'm really power using it'll be down to 35%ish.

so just to give you an idea of how his batt life is going, yours should improve within a few charge cycles as well
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-15-11 at 05:40 PM.
    08-15-11 05:37 PM
    great, hopefully your IT guy will get that resolved and email going for you SOON !! i've posted over there a bit as well myself

as for your battery, i can tell you when my husband first got his, the battery drained kinda quick the first few days, but after getting a few charging cycles after that, he gets pretty good batt life. comes off charger at 530am, usually home about 6pm--over the course of the day he does a few ph calls/txs. when he arrives home his batt is usually average 80-85%, then i nab the thing for the rest of the night & i'm on the web, few games etc. plug in to charge for the night around 10 and by then after i've had it-its hoovering around 45-50% unless i'm really power using it'll be down to 35%ish.

so just to give you an idea of how his batt life is going, yours should improve within a few charge cycles as well

Hope you're right! Not that it's horrible right now, it's not. 4pm, 46%. Haven't used it much, and again, until my work email is up and running, that's when I'll really be testing the battery life.
    IT guy didn't figure it out yet, I've got two people working on it, but they're both gone and it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

My VP said he thinks we need to open the platform, and that his son has an Iphone, and he thinks it's amazing. (the VP thinks so) So, that's positive. I want my work to pay for the data plan.

Did a few texts today, and it's okay. I'm sure I'll get better over time.
    08-15-11 06:04 PM
    Hope you're right! Not that it's horrible right now, it's not. 4pm, 46%. Haven't used it much, and again, until my work email is up and running, that's when I'll really be testing the battery life.
    IT guy didn't figure it out yet, I've got two people working on it, but they're both gone and it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

My VP said he thinks we need to open the platform, and that his son has an Iphone, and he thinks it's amazing. (the VP thinks so) So, that's positive. I want my work to pay for the data plan.

Did a few texts today, and it's okay. I'm sure I'll get better over time.
    yes, when you get work email going and you set the push for the time intervals of how often you want your iPhone to check for email, that will indeed be the test on battery life. i'll be curious to hear about that as well, i don't have a work email, just my personal AOL & Yahoo, but if i were to set them up on my iP4 i would set it to push prob every 30mins. I wouldn't need every 15, and i don't receive many emails during the day anyway so for me, IDT it'll be that much drain on the battery.

As for your VP, that'll be great if he pays the data plan & that they are willing to branch out into a new platform.
    08-15-11 06:23 PM
    thx for this trojanscott !! Ya know out of all the years I've owned Apples products I never knew about this....lol.

I did try it on my iTouch & nothing happened, & I'm going to try it on my iPad & the hubbys iP4 later to see what happens.

EDIT: ok, didnt work on my iTouch(4.2iOS) but it does work on my iPad and holy cow there were alot of things still open !! BUT i still had really good battery life on it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Only certain generations of devices have the multitasking support for apps. I think you said your daughter has a 3G? Those don't have the benefits of multitasking. Also, I dont think the second generation of the iPod touch has multitasking. Multitasking is not OS specific, but rather device specific.

08-15-11 06:48 PM
    Only certain generations of devices have the multitasking support for apps. I think you said your daughter has a 3G? Those don't have the benefits of multitasking. Also, I dont think the second generation of the iPod touch has multitasking. Multitasking is not OS specific, but rather device specific.

tyvm for this info AmywineBerry !! Now that makes sense and yes, just to confirm, both my daughters & my iTouch are 3rd gen iOS4.2.x

i originally understood it as if the iOS was 4.x that the double tap of the home key would bring the options up to close out the running apps.
    08-15-11 07:49 PM
    Phone died at 8pm, but heavy angry birds from my son. LOL. Considering I haven't had it go through a full drain/recharge yet, I'm hoping a little conditioning and battery charges do it some good.

Hoping to get work email figured out tomorrow.
    08-15-11 10:24 PM
    Phone died at 8pm, but heavy angry birds from my son. LOL. Considering I haven't had it go through a full drain/recharge yet, I'm hoping a little conditioning and battery charges do it some good.

Hoping to get work email figured out tomorrow.
    LIon batteries need three discharge/charge cycles to fully be efficient. That's actually really good on a first full charge/discharge cycle because even using Angry Birds it held up very well. Once you aren't using it as much and have broken it in you'll be fine.
    08-16-11 03:01 AM
    Mr. O. Wrong on the battery Lith Ions DO NOT do well fully discharging

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

L-Ion batteries love to be charged and charged and charged. DO NOT let it get to 0%.

Last edited by Accidental Post; 08-16-11 at 08:57 AM.
    gregs87 likes this.
    08-16-11 08:54 AM
    Accidental...thanks for that....I can never remember what the deal is on batteries and charging.
    08-16-11 09:12 AM

L-Ion batteries love to be charged and charged and charged. DO NOT let it get to 0%.

Too late, hit o% last night, I didn't know! Well, I'll now charge charge and charge.

Hoping work email gets sorted. Small company, one IT guy that works 2 other jobs, and sometimes, it's a task to get things done. One of my field sales guys is dying for me to get it set up and going, so he can make the change too.
    And, BTW, I did send him links to the 9900 and the 9850, telling him to check those out, that they looked promising. No fan boy of either platform, not yet anyway.
    08-16-11 10:17 AM
    Us IT guys are a funny bunch. If he had an iPhone that server would be fixed.

08-16-11 11:01 AM
    Us IT guys are a funny bunch. If he had an iPhone that server would be fixed.

LOL, that's for damn sure.
    08-16-11 11:11 AM
    A free lunch gets projects moving quickly too
    08-16-11 12:07 PM
    a free lunch gets projects moving quickly too:d

noted! :d
    08-16-11 12:28 PM

Yes, after the first three times. Double check your facts. I don't know why but when they release LIon batteries, they don't break them in for us. They just have a halfway charge and don't run that great in comparison. Once they are broke in then yes don't discharge them fully if you can avoid it.
    08-16-11 01:15 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD