I can't be without a phone, not for 2 months or whatever I was gonna wait. I asked for refurbished blackberry to get me by, they said I couldn't do it because I don't have insurance? Well, whatever with that. I figure I'll sell the IP4 if I don't like it, or want the new 9850/9860 or the IP5.

I got the 32GB Black IP4. So far, it's weird, just not used to the user interface. I've typed on it, pleasantly surprised, it's not bad at all. The internet speed is awesome. Made one phone call, all good there.

Just have a lot to figure out, and having my co-worker tell me my blackberry server email bounced back was sad. So used to BB, but just want the change, and to see what this is like.

I'm the guinea pig in here, if I can show everyone in here I can handle emails, work, etc, through the iphone, they're talking about dumping the BES server and letting us use whatever we want. SO, I'll be on forums galore asking noob questions for sure.

I'm not a BB fanboy, not an Apple fanboy, just a regular dude who likes gadgets, works for a living, also have a small biz on the side, and I depend on my phone.

Yesterday, I had my S2 reboot two times on two different calls with clients. Today, full strength battery at 8am, dead at 11am. Battery only 4 months old. Just couldn't deal with it any longer.

I wish I could have held out for a couple months, but eh, now, I'll wait for all the bugs to be fixed on the IP5 or new blackberries, and for the hype to die off a bit. Maybe I'll be used to the iPhone at that point, or not, and either way, can sell this, get most if not all my money back, and get a new IP5 or Berry.

I'll update this thread as much as I can, let everyone know how the switch goes, as long as nobody minds that is.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    08-12-11 03:54 PM
    Yeah when I killed my Tour last month I once *again* tried out the iphone in store. Like you I thought oh well I can sell it when the OS7 phones drop.

Just could not do it though. Got the Curve 3G to hold me over and am glad I did. Just proves iPhones are not for everyone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 04:02 PM
    I won't lie, right off the bat, I'm not in LOVE with it or anything, or think it's the best thing ever like so many seem to. But, I'm going to give it a fair chance.
    08-12-11 04:07 PM
    Yeah I liked it ok. Just not enough. Seems like something that would be great for music and video; neither of which I do on my phone. Lol.

08-12-11 04:15 PM
    Paired with my bluetooth in my truck easy enough. No issue there, but didn't think there would be either, it's easy stuff now.

The typing is a LOT easier in portrait mode. I'm finding myself touching the screen to wake it up, like with my storm, only to have to push the home button. I do kinda like the single home button, it does make things pretty simple. So far, it's impressive, and I've yet to really do much with it. Email and all that, setting it up, putting some useful apps on it, that's where I'll really see how much I like or dislike it.
    I do find myself carrying it like a baby though. It feels less sturdy than a BB, and I know they're more delicate. It's in a good case, so it's protected, but still. I dropped my S2 a ton of times, and I know I'll need to be more careful with this phone.
    08-12-11 06:49 PM
    Full charge at 7:30 this morning, we'll see how it goes for the day. I tinkered some last night, downloaded Twitter application, Angry Birds, (gotta see what that's about) and the remote app. That thing is pretty cool, I can control Itunes and my ATV from my phone. I will say though, more of a novelty, I don't know if I'd use it much. Still, FREE, so whatever!

Camera is really cool, and much better than I'm used to. It'll be something if the IP5 has an 8 megapixel as rumored.

So far, this feels more like a mini computer that's also a phone, whereas my BB felt like a phone first, other things second. Haven't used the iphone much yet, (taking calls) so can't say too much about that.
    08-13-11 09:52 AM
    Was in the same boat. Storm died. No bb in sight. Been on the i4 a little over a week. Going better than I thought. As for carrying it like a baby. I got an otter box commuter on Amazon for $20 bucks or so. Solid case for sure and not bulky.

08-13-11 01:48 PM
    hi trojanscott-i will be interested on your opinion from a bb to the iP4. i've been reading up alot - some looove the switch while others are not so keen. i'm currently on a bold9650 (vzw) and i'm putting a lot of thought into getting an iP4 or 5 also. My husband just got one, its been 3 wks now and also my daughter came from a bb & went to an iP4 - she says she would NEVER go back to a bb. in fact, she had to use mine for a few mins yesterday and threatened to throw it across the room LOL !! i was like, oh no you don't !!

anyway, since my husband got his, when he comes home from work-i grab the thing and use it for the rest of the night. i will also use my bb a bit as well, but i'm either on his iP4 solely or my iPad also. i have to say, i'm very impressed with how fluid and quick the iOS moves. i love alot about it, BUT i also enjoy my bb. (missing bbm is not an issue for me, i dont use it at all)

so long and short of it all, i'll be looking to see how your 'adapting' to the iP4 from a bb and what pros and cons you may come across as well

good luck & hopefully the transition will go smoothly for you and you won't have too many gripes to complain about, lol.
    08-13-11 02:38 PM
    Hi P1nkD1am0nds,

Will do, I'll keep you updated. LOL, I did download "Fruit Ninja" and my four year old son knew about it! Apparently, his sitter's daughter plays it. Unreal. The phone is really fluid. I've been on two calls, no issues. Although, one was from a fellow IP4 user, but on AT&T, and I always think his sounds like crap. I miss my BB email, but seriously, I have not got around to setting up the IP4 yet on email. The texting on the Iphone is fine, but it doesn't have any emoticons on it or things like that. I 'm sure you can download an app for it, but it's something that was on my BB for free. I was not a BBM person either, so I don't miss that at all. Most of my BB friends have jumped ship anyway.

I can see how people gripe about it being not "personal" like customizing your BB or android for that matter. Because I'll most likely sell this phone for the 5, or back to BB, I won't jailbreak it or get into that just yet. But, only a day on this so far. More intrigue than anything right now, but for being fluid, it blows my S2 out of the water.
    Getting on the web is fast. Facebook app is SO much better on this phone than on my Storm. Things are clear and easy to navigate.

I'll post more as I get used to it, and let you know what I don't like about it, or what I miss on BB.

One thing I can say right now, and it's only been a day, but no reboots, no stupid spinning hour glass.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    08-13-11 05:12 PM
    Hi P1nkD1am0nds,

Will do, I'll keep you updated. LOL, I did download "Fruit Ninja" and my four year old son knew about it! Apparently, his sitter's daughter plays it. Unreal. The phone is really fluid. I've been on two calls, no issues. Although, one was from a fellow IP4 user, but on AT&T, and I always think his sounds like crap. I miss my BB email, but seriously, I have not got around to setting up the IP4 yet on email. The texting on the Iphone is fine, but it doesn't have any emoticons on it or things like that. I 'm sure you can download an app for it, but it's something that was on my BB for free. I was not a BBM person either, so I don't miss that at all. Most of my BB friends have jumped ship anyway.

I can see how people gripe about it being not "personal" like customizing your BB or android for that matter. Because I'll most likely sell this phone for the 5, or back to BB, I won't jailbreak it or get into that just yet. But, only a day on this so far. More intrigue than anything right now, but for being fluid, it blows my S2 out of the water.
    Getting on the web is fast. Facebook app is SO much better on this phone than on my Storm. Things are clear and easy to navigate.

I'll post more as I get used to it, and let you know what I don't like about it, or what I miss on BB.

One thing I can say right now, and it's only been a day, but no reboots, no stupid spinning hour glass.
    thx. lol, i knew about fruit ninja too, but i won't play that. my kids dont either. i do have an iPad so i know how fluidly the iOS moves I wont be jailbreaking mine either if/when i do get one. i also had an S2 and, well, it was a POS to be honest the most finicky OS/touch screen on a bb i've ever used !! i can text better on the hubbys iP4 than i do with my bold keypad....go figure LOL. i have his email(yahoo) set for him and i've tested out sending from his to my bb and back, and it sends/delivers without any issues or delays that i've seen. i use his iP4 to steal his wp's and resize them for my bb LOL !!

as for the emoticons, there is something on the app store called emoji or something like that and i believe its free if you really want something like that (no jailbreaking involved either).

i can appreciate the no spinning clock on occassion that i sometimes get on my 9650, and the reboots after installing a new app or theme.....those days of waiting to boot back up are over for you

and just think, copy and paste with the iP4 will be sooooo much easier than trying to manuver on the S2 !!

phone calls are clear, no issues. as for the LED--meh, i can live w/out that & as long as i can personalize my phone ringtone. i have no problem with using whats 'stock' on the iP4 for the mms/tx only.

also for iPhone rt's you can create your own on iTunes for what ever song you have dwld also for when the ph rings.
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-13-11 at 07:23 PM.
    08-13-11 07:17 PM
    There's a chance I'm going near an Apple store today, if I do, I'm going to walk in, and just play dumb (easy for me) about my new phone, and see what I can pick up. I've heard the people there are really helpful, so if I go, I'll report!
    08-14-11 12:41 PM
    The iP4 is a good phone and HUGELY superior to the earlier versions in terms of being used as a phone. I can actually use the iP4 without wanting to throw it under a bus...lol! Anyway, I think you'll get used to it. Sometimes it just takes awhile.
    08-14-11 05:09 PM
    Did hit the Apple store today. Didn't walk around, as soon as I walked in, guy asked what he could help me with, and boom, out came my phone, and 15 minutes later, was impressed.

He helped me set up my home email. I felt dumb afterwards, toooo easy. I have it set to "push" but think I'll change to 15 minutes at least to conserve battery life. I know this is where BB is superior, where I could really have all my emails coming non stop instantly, and no real drain. Then again, my S2, before just dying, wasn't lasting 3/4 of the day on a full charge anymore, so who knows. I didn't have a ton of apps on it either, maybe 10? If that.
    Work email will be another story, not sure how I'm going to do it, but I'll talk with my IT guy tomorrow. The mail looks fine. In fact, I'd say it's easier to navigate and respond on than my BB was.

I learned how to shut off apps. Basically, anything I was using, and exiting out of,still runs. You need to take another step to shut off. Not a big deal.

One thing I'm not too jazzed about: Bluetooth. If it doesn't pair up with something, and on, it's constantly searching, and that drains battery. So, basically, if I get into my truck, I have to turn bluetooth on, and when I get out, turn it off if I want better battery life. Didn't have to do this on my BB, at least I don't think I did, or not sure if it searched as well and I just didn't know it.

I don't know how battery life really is. I don't like to think I'm a gaming type, but that fruit ninja game is so fun. LOL, I have wasted time on it. Once I get this thing dialed in, I can comment on battery life. Guy at the store said no reason I shouldn't get a full day though, and that's all I can ask for.

We talked about how I feel it's more delicate, and I'm careful with it. Not that I wasn't with my BB, but this just feels different. The Apple employee said, "look, think of it as a $750 device." He's right. It is, and it's really pretty neat. I'm digging it.

Two more phone calls today, no issues, sounded great, felt fine holding the phone and talking. It's easier to hit the touch screen where it basically says, "answer" then it was trying to push that S2 button. Sometimes it worked, others not.
    Only BB I ever had was S1 and S2, so I'm not comparing to all BB, but so far, this phone is a major upgrade. Still learning it though.

Real test comes next week, when I get work email synced and going.
    08-14-11 09:05 PM
    Did hit the Apple store today. Didn't walk around, as soon as I walked in, guy asked what he could help me with, and boom, out came my phone, and 15 minutes later, was impressed.

He helped me set up my home email. I felt dumb afterwards, toooo easy. I have it set to "push" but think I'll change to 15 minutes at least to conserve battery life. I know this is where BB is superior, where I could really have all my emails coming non stop instantly, and no real drain. Then again, my S2, before just dying, wasn't lasting 3/4 of the day on a full charge anymore, so who knows. I didn't have a ton of apps on it either, maybe 10? If that.
    Work email will be another story, not sure how I'm going to do it, but I'll talk with my IT guy tomorrow. The mail looks fine. In fact, I'd say it's easier to navigate and respond on than my BB was.

I learned how to shut off apps. Basically, anything I was using, and exiting out of,still runs. You need to take another step to shut off. Not a big deal.

One thing I'm not too jazzed about: Bluetooth. If it doesn't pair up with something, and on, it's constantly searching, and that drains battery. So, basically, if I get into my truck, I have to turn bluetooth on, and when I get out, turn it off if I want better battery life. Didn't have to do this on my BB, at least I don't think I did, or not sure if it searched as well and I just didn't know it.

I don't know how battery life really is. I don't like to think I'm a gaming type, but that fruit ninja game is so fun. LOL, I have wasted time on it. Once I get this thing dialed in, I can comment on battery life. Guy at the store said no reason I shouldn't get a full day though, and that's all I can ask for.

We talked about how I feel it's more delicate, and I'm careful with it. Not that I wasn't with my BB, but this just feels different. The Apple employee said, "look, think of it as a $750 device." He's right. It is, and it's really pretty neat. I'm digging it.

Two more phone calls today, no issues, sounded great, felt fine holding the phone and talking. It's easier to hit the touch screen where it basically says, "answer" then it was trying to push that S2 button. Sometimes it worked, others not.
    Only BB I ever had was S1 and S2, so I'm not comparing to all BB, but so far, this phone is a major upgrade. Still learning it though.

Real test comes next week, when I get work email synced and going.
    hey, glad to hear things went well today !!

the email is very easy to use, in fact, just overall everything responds as soon as you touch the screen making it pleasant to use.

now my question to you is, what exactly is that 'extra step' to shut down all apps running in the background? i actually didn't know this lol and i own and iTouch & iPad, so i would think that step would apply to those as well thx !!

as for the games, i'm not much of a gaming type either, BUT they are fun to play on the iP4 !! i've actually dwld a few games on the hubby's iP4, including angry birds. One of the games is a crossword puzzle that i really like, now obviously i can't play when hes not home. SO i dwl'd a 99cent one for my bb about 2wks ago......ugh, no where near as fun and quick responding as the iPhone one is, so i don't even use it.

08-14-11 09:23 PM
    To shut down the apps, double tap the home button from your main menu. Everything that is "running" will come up at the bottom, the icons. Hold one icon for a second or two, and all should come up with the - symbol next to it in red. Hit the - symbol, and the icon will disappear. Now that app isn't running. An easy way to check would be to open the app again. If a game, it should say, "loading" vs. if you hadn't taken this step, you'd go right back into the main menu or game.
    08-14-11 10:37 PM
    Yeah when I killed my Tour last month I once *again* tried out the iphone in store. Like you I thought oh well I can sell it when the OS7 phones drop.

Just could not do it though. Got the Curve 3G to hold me over and am glad I did. Just proves iPhones are not for everyone.

Yeah I agree I'm running a blackberry 3g they aren't bad at all and I got a otter box with it(the bulkier the better), I want to upgrade to a bold though eventually. I don't even mess with torches or storms ;o.

08-15-11 05:41 AM
    To shut down the apps, double tap the home button from your main menu. Everything that is "running" will come up at the bottom, the icons. Hold one icon for a second or two, and all should come up with the - symbol next to it in red. Hit the - symbol, and the icon will disappear. Now that app isn't running. An easy way to check would be to open the app again. If a game, it should say, "loading" vs. if you hadn't taken this step, you'd go right back into the main menu or game.
    thx for this trojanscott !! Ya know out of all the years I've owned Apples products I never knew about this....lol.

I did try it on my iTouch & nothing happened, & I'm going to try it on my iPad & the hubbys iP4 later to see what happens.

EDIT: ok, didnt work on my iTouch(4.2iOS) but it does work on my iPad and holy cow there were alot of things still open !! BUT i still had really good battery life on it

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-15-11 at 08:41 AM.
    08-15-11 06:01 AM
    First hiccup... just can NOT get my work email on exchange to sync to my iphone. My IT guy and I just spend 40 minutes trying, and no luck. I'm sure it's something stupid, but right now, frustrating.
    08-15-11 12:10 PM
    First hiccup... just can NOT get my work email on exchange to sync to my iphone. My IT guy and I just spend 40 minutes trying, and no luck. I'm sure it's something stupid, but right now, frustrating.
    trojan, have you been to TiPb for the vzw iP4 info also? heres the link:

VzW iPhone4 forum

perhaps you may be able to find some info there on syncing your work email.

g'luck, i hope you can get that wrinkle worked out !!
    08-15-11 12:14 PM
    [color=#DF0174][b][font=garamond]
    EDIT: ok, didnt work on my iTouch(4.2iOS) but it does work on my iPad and holy cow there were alot of things still open !! BUT i still had really good battery life on it
    Note that a lot of the apps shown may not be running. All that is shown is your most recently open apps, only the ones that support multitasking and background running will actually still be "open"
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    08-15-11 12:29 PM
    Note that a lot of the apps shown may not be running. All that is shown is your most recently open apps, only the ones that support multitasking and background running will actually still be "open"
    thx 01, but what confuses me with what you just said is the fact that i do have "words with friends" on my iTouch or safari, currently 2 games open, and when i doubled clicked the home button, that didn't even come up as it was "open in the background" whereas on my iPad, safari & a bunch of others showed up.

oh and to add to that, when i did that on the hubbys iP4, "words with friends" came up also as an open app.
    08-15-11 12:32 PM
    Hmm, I'm not too sure about iTouch, but I was pretty sure that any iOS4-running device would be able to do this... Is it bringing any sort of bar up at all?

Edit: It seems second-gen and earlier iPod Touch models do not support it... does this apply to you?
    08-15-11 12:36 PM
    Hmm, I'm not too sure about iTouch, but I was pretty sure that any iOS4-running device would be able to do this... Is it bringing any sort of bar up at all?
    nope nothing at all....and my other daughter's iTouch (3rd gen also) won't respond to the double click home button option to close out apps either.....

SO perhaps iTouch doesnt apply, but that wouldn't make sense. they are both running iOS 4.2.x

i think i'll get a chance to pop in at TiPb to check that out. there may be something both of us are missing

(sorry to briefly hijack your thread trojanscott)
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-15-11 at 12:48 PM.
    08-15-11 12:38 PM
    Trojan if your IT hasn't done this it won't work.

Setting up a corporate email server for iOS devices
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 08-15-11 at 01:24 PM.
    08-15-11 12:39 PM
    Nice to see how things are going for u! I'm jumpin ship on sat! I have bb now...sucks... Ready to sling down thru woods! So I'm grabbn the iphone4 and will also sell after all hype and glitches are out of iphone5! Thanks for jus plain run of the mill stuff! lol

08-15-11 12:52 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD