I get sick and tired of reading posts where people call the iPhone a toy because it's a good portable gaming platform. That's like saying that a PC is a toy because you can play games on it.

Getting down to business:

Exchange Active Sync - Pushes email, calendar and contact as fast as Blackberry.

Logmein - Remote admin PC's, Mac's and servers right from you iPhone. The most usable mobile remote admin software every made.

Google Maps - Get you to your destination.

XpenesTkr - Track business and personal expenses including photos of your receipts that export to your desktop.

Too many more to list.

The App Store hit 20K... repeat TWENTY THOUSAND applications this week and THOUSANDS of those are business related. The iPhone is not JUST a toy, but it can be a GREAT one when you want it to be.
    02-13-09 03:52 PM
    Sorry. Meant to post in iPhone forum. Please feel free to delete. Reposted there.
    02-13-09 03:55 PM
    IMO, it's a great device, but most of the applications have no reasoning in the exec world. It's more towards young consumers....

I think the "toy" aspect was give because of the gaming aspect of the device. But not matter what it holds it's own as a good Smart Phone.......

I think in the internet world your going to get allot of mixed emotions about any device no matter what it is. I wouldn't take it to heart.
    02-13-09 03:58 PM
    IMO, it's a great device, but most of the applications have no reasoning in the exec world. It's more towards young consumers....

I think the "toy" aspect was give because of the gaming aspect of the device. But not matter what it holds it's own as a good Smart Phone.......

I think in the internet world your going to get allot of mixed emotions about any device no matter what it is. I wouldn't take it to heart.
    Would you consider, now that the Storm has a Lightsaber and Fart app of it's own that it now is not considered an "executive" device? Just curious but other than the stigma of RIM being "corporate", what makes the BB more of a business device? Especially now that it has a music and video player like the iPhone?

With RIM beefing up the multimedia functions, what really separates the two in the corporate world? I asked because I am the IT director for a bank and we have over a dozen "execs" on the iPhone now. They choose to pass on the Fart apps though. Isn't it really just a toy if that's all you are using it for? How many new BB users are young people that use it for just texting, music, video, etc. and don't use it at all for corporate mail or any sort of "business" at all?
    Last edited by Evilhomer; 02-13-09 at 04:08 PM.
    02-13-09 04:06 PM
    Mr. Jobs, aren't you supposed to be on vacation?
    02-13-09 04:09 PM
    Mr. Jobs, aren't you supposed to be on vacation?
    With as many posts as you've had, have you ever heard of keeping threads on topic? Or is your thread count so high from Troll posting?
    02-13-09 04:11 PM
    Just playin' with ya guy, don't be so serious. For the most part I agree with you. But this is a predominantly BB forum and the topic has been beat to absolute death! To each his own. If the iPhone is a better fit for your needs, enjoy!
    Last edited by pltaylor; 02-13-09 at 06:15 PM.
    02-13-09 04:17 PM
    With as many posts as you've had, have you ever heard of keeping threads on topic? Or is your thread count so high from Troll posting?
    pltaylor was making a (pretty funny really) joke. he is NOT a troll and is a helpful member of crackberry! the title of the thread is funny in that it sounds like a 3rd grader whining! lol
    02-13-09 04:24 PM
    That's cool. You just never know if someone is teasing or trying to get a rise. :-) I know this is a BB forum in general but I figured since this was an iPhone section it would be a little safer. I have a Storm too by the way so it's nice to have a place to come and talk about both.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get so snippy with you. :-)
    02-13-09 04:26 PM
    pltaylor was making a (pretty funny really) joke. he is NOT a troll and is a helpful member of crackberry! the title of the thread is funny in that it sounds like a 3rd grader whining! lol
    Perhaps, but in fairness his post reads like a troll post and since this is the iPhone section, you would not expect the BB users to come stir up trouble since they complain about that in the BB sections from iPhone users.

Comments like calling the title of the post "whining" also sounds insulting. Maybe it would be less confusion to the iPhone users in this forum if the BB fans wouldn't make comments like that unless they are in fact trying to be ugly. Hard to tell the difference sometimes between joking and attacking on the internet ya know.
    02-13-09 04:30 PM
    Perhaps, but in fairness his post reads like a troll post and since this is the iPhone section, you would not expect the BB users to come stir up trouble since they complain about that in the BB sections from iPhone users.

Comments like calling the title of the post "whining" also sounds insulting. Maybe it would be less confusion to the iPhone users in this forum if the BB fans wouldn't make comments like that unless they are in fact trying to be ugly. Hard to tell the difference sometime is joking and attacking on the internet ya know.
    i don't mean to be insulting to you, sorry if you feel that way. however, someone with over 4500 posts is usually not a troll. trolls give up way before then. you can also click on users names and check their posting history to find out if they really are a troll! i do that once in a while.

yes, it is hard to tell the difference sometimes in text, between a joke and a mean spirited comment.

i have nothing against the iPhone (never used one) but i do wonder why a site for blackberry includes it. no big deal, but i suppose you're apt to get a few that are very "dedicated' to their bb brand! as well, your title is directed at blackberry users, isn't it? so of course they are the ones who are going to reply.

i'd like to try an iphone out. i hear that the broswer is better than the blackberries'.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-13-09 at 04:37 PM.
    02-13-09 04:32 PM
    i don't mean to be insulting to you, sorry if you feel that way.

yes, it is hard to tell the difference sometimes in text, between a joke and a mean spirited comment.

i have nothing against the iPhone (never used one) but i do wonder why a site for blackberry includes it. no big deal, but i suppose you're apt to get a few that are very "dedicated' to their bb brand!
    Thanks. I didn't think you are being ugly but I appreciate you affirming that.

I can tell you why this site has an iPhone area. TRAFFIC. The iPhone is a VERY popular device and the more traffic that Crackberry can get to the site, the more potential advertisers they can get and the more they can charge for the ads. Not to mention kick backs on accessory and software sales. It was probably also intended to act as a place where iPhone users come come and dump on berrys without trashing those threads but it doesn't look like it worked as well as one would have hoped. As an iPhone user I hate seeing others jump into BB threads to boast about the iPhone.

But I don't disagree with you. It probably feels like a bit of a betrayal to have them open up to users of other platforms instead of just being dedicated to Blackberry users.

Before anyone at Crackberry takes offense to that, I am glad that they do allow it because I use both a Storm and an iPhone and it's nice to have a single forum to visit where you can discuss both. So it is beneficial to many users as well as the owners of the site.
    02-13-09 04:46 PM
    I can tell you why this site has an iPhone area. TRAFFIC. The iPhone is a VERY popular device and the more traffic that Crackberry can get to the site, the more potential advertisers they can get and the more they can charge for the ads. Not to mention kick backs on accessory and software sales.
    ahh, that makes sense. you are right! i didn't think of that.
    02-13-09 04:51 PM
    I still don't think the iPhone is a good business phone unless it had full MS office support. I know its an apple product, but come now, everyone knows thart the business world is PC-dominated.

No enterprise service like BES also stinks. And I can't imagine typing on that keyboard for more than a short text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 04:57 PM
    Evil what happens is that people begin to hate, people, places and things that dominate a certain market. You see it with sports teams, you see it with famous people (ex:Paris Hilton) so on and so forth. There's something in human nature, that I can't put my finger on, that makes people turn sour on very popular products, people and everything in between.

We can use Verizon as an example. I think we can agree they are very popular and known for outstanding C/S and coverage. They are arguably (sp?) the best carrier as far as coverage. Well there are people that HATE VZW. Why? I have no clue.....they claim they hate them because they nickle and dime people but deep down inside I believe they KNOW that VZW ,price aside, is a top notch carrier but they choose to hate them.

I think the same goes for the iPhone. The iPhone IS the BEST touchscreen on the market RIGHT NOW and people will simply hate on it for that. People DESPISE Apple to the point that it boarders on rage. Go to the Storm forums and those guys are a bunch of angry Apple haters : ) You can be talking about the Storm and somebody will ALWAYS drag the iPhone into the conversation literally out of nowhere.

A conversation can go from "I'm tired of the Storm! This thing is a POS!!" to "Well if you remember the iPhone launch......" and it will turn into an iPhone bashing frenzy. Really no joke.

I don't have any brand loyalty. I like some BB's, I do like the iPhone and I like the new Pre. So you wont find me defending a brand when it's unjustified. I think I'm pretty fair when it comes to giving a product props when it deserves it and slamming it when it's deserved.

Anyway thats my take on the whole thing.
    02-13-09 05:47 PM
    For some reason BB users seem to say its a toy... Now its not everyone on this forum but a lot. And while the iPhone is not a toy I expect BB users to put it down. I get that, but they are dead wrong. I just let them go on thinking it is. So be it.

02-13-09 06:25 PM
    The iphone is a good device for those who fine it useful. Personally I find it ironic the same people who are quick to bash the iphone are now asking for iphone themes and useless apps.

02-13-09 08:28 PM
    The iphone is a good device for those who fine it useful. Personally I find it ironic the same people who are quick to bash the iphone are now asking for iphone themes and useless apps.

hey Lucky. Just give me the 8900 and back slowly away..............
    02-13-09 08:36 PM
    Thread merged.
    02-13-09 09:22 PM
    I still don't think the iPhone is a good business phone unless it had full MS office support. I know its an apple product, but come now, everyone knows thart the business world is PC-dominated.

No enterprise service like BES also stinks. And I can't imagine typing on that keyboard for more than a short text.

That's coming soon as well... be the first to know: Documents To Go for iPhone
    02-13-09 09:37 PM
    Evil what happens is that people begin to hate, people, places and things that dominate a certain market. You see it with sports teams, you see it with famous people (ex:Paris Hilton) so on and so forth. There's something in human nature, that I can't put my finger on, that makes people turn sour on very popular products, people and everything in between.

We can use Verizon as an example. I think we can agree they are very popular and known for outstanding C/S and coverage. They are arguably (sp?) the best carrier as far as coverage. Well there are people that HATE VZW. Why? I have no clue.....they claim they hate them because they nickle and dime people but deep down inside I believe they KNOW that VZW ,price aside, is a top notch carrier but they choose to hate them.

I think the same goes for the iPhone. The iPhone IS the BEST touchscreen on the market RIGHT NOW and people will simply hate on it for that. People DESPISE Apple to the point that it boarders on rage. Go to the Storm forums and those guys are a bunch of angry Apple haters : ) You can be talking about the Storm and somebody will ALWAYS drag the iPhone into the conversation literally out of nowhere.

A conversation can go from "I'm tired of the Storm! This thing is a POS!!" to "Well if you remember the iPhone launch......" and it will turn into an iPhone bashing frenzy. Really no joke.

I don't have any brand loyalty. I like some BB's, I do like the iPhone and I like the new Pre. So you wont find me defending a brand when it's unjustified. I think I'm pretty fair when it comes to giving a product props when it deserves it and slamming it when it's deserved.

Anyway thats my take on the whole thing.
    Good point. Reminds me of a quote I head once but don't know who to credit for it:

"Popularity breeds contempt".

I've heard people complain that they would never get an iPhone because "everyone" has one. Makes me laugh.

Too bad that some people are so short sited.
    02-13-09 09:42 PM
    That's coming soon as well... be the first to know: Documents To Go for iPhone
    Excellent point! And unlike on WinMo and BB, you will be able to pinch and pull the documents so that you can actually read and edit them comfortably. WinMo and BB have had this ability for some time and it's nearly useless on either device.

Thanks for the link. I just signed up!

I HIGHLY recommend anyone that works on friends, family and/or work computers or servers; Mac or PC, to check out Logmein Ignition on the iPhone. I was able to fix my Mom's printer tonight in about 3 minutes while eating dinner in a restaurant. You can create a free Logmein.com account and add computers with the free service, but the iPhone app is $30. Expensive but I would have paid more. GREATLY reduces the need to carry laptop everywhere.

Any IT admin or just the "famliy" computer guy should check it out and then tell me the iPhone is just a toy.
    Last edited by Evilhomer; 02-13-09 at 09:49 PM.
    02-13-09 09:45 PM
    I agree. To be honest, I think the iphone is much more powerful than a bold after being jailbroken. My bold is my primary phone, but that's because I need a physical keypad. But as far as the OS goes, iphone over BB anyday.

02-13-09 10:11 PM
    A shelf leveler, tip calculator, cab finder? What the hell? I would never use or hope to find those or 99% of the apps on the ���&�$.It's a toy, and POS all in one. What a deal.
    Sorry but these ARE useful apps. They might not be big like Pandora (which BB doesn't have) but there a lot of good little apps.

Wow can I really have weathereye, google maps, and viigo all at once? GEEZ i'm so lucky.

Both platforms are great devices and the iphone is far from a "toy". It's also 10x better built than the cheapo plastic Bold.

Everyone has there own preference in a device and the ones who call the iphone are just str8 ignorant.
    02-13-09 11:06 PM
    Sorry but these ARE useful apps. They might not be big like Pandora (which BB doesn't have) but there a lot of good little apps.

Wow can I really have weathereye, google maps, and viigo all at once? GEEZ i'm so lucky.

Both platforms are great devices and the iphone is far from a "toy". It's also 10x better built than the cheapo plastic Bold.

Everyone has there own preference in a device and the ones who call the iphone are just str8 ignorant.
    I though it interesting that BB fans call the iPhone a toy because of the stupid, useless apps like level's and farts, yet those are among the first to release for the Storm. And did you read the BIG DANG DEAL they made out of the Level application on the main page of Crackberry when it was released? You'd have though they'd gotten OS X running on it or something.

Agreed though about both platforms being useful. I think people shouldn't hate on a person over phones or carriers. I get some seriously ugly remarks made at me because I like Apple and the iPhone, among a plethora of other devices and brands. Some of these guys treat you like a criminal and that's just sad. Fact is, we all probably have a lot in common (other than device choice) being tech heads and so passionate about cellular devices in general. Many of us would probably be friends if we knew each other IRL.

I think some people pick fights on web forums because it's the only place they can be so ugly and insulting without getting their backsides kicked. :-)
    02-13-09 11:17 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD