No doubt WEBOS and BB, and Symbian to a lesser extent, laid much groundwork in mobile computing, but in the larger discussion of what Steve Jobs did with the industry;....well he pretty much ran away with it. Mostly by doing exactly what you say.
    05-24-12 04:49 AM
    Two things. Curiosity about.the device. There is, undeniably, seemingly universal love for the iPhone. It is a dominant, revolutionary device. I want to see for myself what makes it so.
    Secondly, I'm a phone.geek. And it is a gorgeous device.
    I simply prefer BB and Android. My BB has my trust over anything else. And my Atrix and Skyrocketing work much, much better for me than my 4S.
    If you are bored of iOS, you are better off selling the device or exchanging it, unless you want to jailbreak.

It's not like the OS is something you can avoid on your phone.
    05-24-12 06:41 AM
    If you are bored of iOS, you are better off selling the device or exchanging it, unless you want to jailbreak.

It's not like the OS is something you can avoid on your phone.
    Nah, I won't sell it. I enjoy it for brief periods of time. And there is my wish that the next upgrade will have support for a certain amount of customerisation. Enough to allow me to play without jailbreaking.
    I never sell my devices. I donate some.
    05-24-12 07:34 AM
    No doubt WEBOS and BB, and Symbian to a lesser extent, laid much groundwork in mobile computing, but in the larger discussion of what Steve Jobs did with the industry;....well he pretty much ran away with it. Mostly by doing exactly what you say.
    Absolutely, undoubtedly, Jobs merged tech and art.

However, I could allow the statement that were it not for the iPhone BB would not have e existed go uncorrected.
    05-24-12 07:42 AM
    If customization is important for you how does the blackberry fit that bill? New icons & profiles is all that can be changed from what I've seen. I had a livescreen theme once but it made my device unusable (a lot of blackberry themes use far too many resources IMO). I get the other reasons you'd use a blackberry but customization is pretty limited. Can't even JB or Hack a blackberry to add things that are missing (wifi tethering on OS6 for example).

Nah, I won't sell it. I enjoy it for brief periods of time. And there is my wish that the next upgrade will have support for a certain amount of customerisation. Enough to allow me to play without jailbreaking.

I never sell my devices. I donate some.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    05-24-12 07:46 AM
    If customization is important for you how does the blackberry fit that bill? New icons & profiles is all that can be changed from what I've seen. I had a livescreen theme once but it made my device unusable (a lot of blackberry themes use far too many resources IMO). I get the other reasons you'd use a blackberry but customization is pretty limited. Can't even JB or Hack a blackberry to add things that are missing (wifi tethering on OS6 for example).

Customisation is deep within the BB OS. No need to JB or root. As I've mentioned, I run my devices stock.

Within the BB OS I can change notifications to a much deeper level than I can with iOS. Android of course is king, but even my Skyrocket's alerts and notifications are not as deep as BB OS. I know exactly when a particular contact is trying to reach me through coloured LED, I can use bedside mode, I can create groups and give them specific notifications, etc. I have deeper customisation on my profiles. In a meeting, on silent, I know if I'm getting a call from a family member, that "special man", my ex (ugh!) and I can immediately decide whether to excuse myself just by looking at the LED from across the room or the conference table.

Themes also allow me to change the look of my UI at will, go from minimalist to extravagantly coloured. Some change the icons. Some change the placement. All without rooting or jailbreaking.

My BB is my first love. I also totally love my Android devices. I'm finding it more difficult to fall irrevocably in love with iOS.

To my credit, I am open to all three. In full honesty, some I prefer to others.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-24-12 09:38 AM
    Nice reply. I have to agree on profile customization, I love it. We don't agree on themes I guess, I've yet to find one that works efficiently other than the basic icon replacement themes.

The thing that keeps me using a blackberry is app integration. Sending tweets to FaceBook to SMS to tumblr etc. Its perfectly executed by the menu system. Granted Android can do this but its nowhere near as clean. For example on my Hacked HD2 running android I can share a tweet to FaceBook but the share menu has numerous FaceBook options listed (1 for the FaceBook app, 1 for HTC sense FaceBook 1 for somethingorother else). The icons are identical, never in the same order so when you pick one you never know what the result will be! RIM nailed this, Android f'd it up & Apple never addressed it to begin with. Its the biggest selling point for a blackberry if you ask me, the simple task of sharing.

Customisation is deep within the BB OS. No need to JB or root. As I've mentioned, I run my devices stock.

Within the BB OS I can change notifications to a much deeper level than I can with iOS. Android of course is king, but even my Skyrocket's alerts and notifications are not as deep as BB OS. I know exactly when a particular contact is trying to reach me through coloured LED, I can use bedside mode, I can create groups and give them specific notifications, etc. I have deeper customisation on my profiles. In a meeting, on silent, I know if I'm getting a call from a family member, that "special man", my ex (ugh!) and I can immediately decide whether to excuse myself just by looking at the LED from across the room or the conference table.

Themes also allow me to change the look of my UI at will, go from minimalist to extravagantly coloured. Some change the icons. Some change the placement. All without rooting or jailbreaking.

My BB is my first love. I also totally love my Android devices. I'm finding it more difficult to fall irrevocably in love with iOS.

To my credit, I am open to all three. In full honesty, some I prefer to others.

05-24-12 09:56 AM
    Nice reply. I have to agree on profile customization, I love it. We don't agree on themes I guess, I've yet to find one that works efficiently other than the basic icon replacement themes.
    I used to agree with that position on themes; it was cool to be able to change the look/feel so thoroughly, but most actually rendered my device LESS usable.

Motek, though, produces some excellent ones that are as responsive as the stock UI and seem as finely crafted as a Beretta. Good enough to finally convince me of the value of theming

The thing that keeps me using a blackberry is app integration. Sending tweets to FaceBook to SMS to tumblr etc. Its perfectly executed by the menu system. Granted Android can do this but its nowhere near as clean. For example on my Hacked HD2 running android I can share a tweet to FaceBook but the share menu has numerous FaceBook options listed (1 for the FaceBook app, 1 for HTC sense FaceBook 1 for somethingorother else). The icons are identical, never in the same order so when you pick one you never know what the result will be! RIM nailed this, Android f'd it up & Apple never addressed it to begin with. Its the biggest selling point for a blackberry if you ask me, the simple task of sharing.
    Bingo, and I wish RIM knew how to market BB7 devices on this strength, because it's completely awesome. Maybe my biggest worry about BB10 is that this integration is going to be either lost or crippled to the point that they're essentially starting over.

BBM integration and NFC are RIM's best bets right now, and they're already out there. I don't think Apple could catch up in a year.
    05-24-12 10:20 AM
    Changing themes was my favorite BB feature. I was on the 8900 Theme forum all the time. They were always free and people like Emarsha were at it constantly. I bet I had 30-40 of them on my phone. But when the touchscreen phone became king that's when BB started sliding downhill. I tried the Storm too (what a POS that effort was).
    05-24-12 06:08 PM
109 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD