05-24-12 06:08 PM
109 1234 ...
tools
    I'm gonna wait a while before I declare Tim Cook a failure, just like I'm not gonna call Thor a success a couple months in. Takes a little bit to see how CEO decisions effect the company as a whole.
    I'm not calling Tim Cook a failure at all. I just think his head is more tuned for production logistics than for micromanaging electronics innovation.

And in regards to Antennagate, since Steve was in the process of dying of Cancer when all this was going on, I doubt he was really on his micromanaging game.
    05-21-12 10:17 AM
    Who cares? I mean this is a BlackBerry forum, if you want to talk about iPods/iPads/iPhones, go to the right subforum lol

And in technology business "roadmaps" that spam years are useless, the tech is always moving fordward, an any amount of vision would not tell you where is going in +3 years.. I don't think any apple product in the next few years was "overlooked" in any stage by Jobs, maybe he could make a concept, beyond from that is unlikely.
    05-21-12 10:31 AM
    You're using and proud of a piece of tech that grannies and 2 year olds can use with ease too, congrats! And this is Crackberry by the way so most users here are going to be pro-Blackberry and not iPhone.
    How is ease of use a bad thing?
    avt123 likes this.
    05-21-12 10:38 AM
    Kill this thread or dump it in a rotten apple bin. This is a BlackBerry site.
    05-21-12 10:45 AM
    Steve Jobs was definitely a visionary, but really the iPad is the only product to launch right the first time, Steve J most often misses the mark with his visions, lucky for the Apple loving public he is pretty quick to see his mistakes and fix them,

iPhone launched without 3rd party app support?
    iPod launched without MP3 support but
    MacBooks until popularity of other Apple products never gained any real market share over decades of hard advertisement

The magic that was Steve was he and his team could adapt their vision to meet what consumers would buy, but his first draft visions are not gold
    It is well documentated Steve Jobs was against third party app support because he was afraid iOS would become a Windows-like nightmare with malware infested apps. Forestall and others were for apps because they knew that was the secret sauce. Once the team came up with the iTunes store solution Jobs signed off on it.

Apple needed Steve Jobs' showmanship to get them to this position (needed to get past the Microsoft shadow). Now Tim Cook will take Apple to a level that Steve Jobs couldn't.

Oh has anybody noticed that AAPL has doubled since Jobs death? This is because Wall Street hates uncertainty. Once Jobs has passed, that uncertainty disappeared.

05-21-12 10:49 AM
    Kill this thread or dump it in a rotten apple bin. This is a BlackBerry site.
    That certainly was an insightful addition to the thread.

Easier than what you did? Don't read it if you don't like it.

DeRussett has had some insightful posts in this discussion - probably because he realises that the success of BB10 is closely linked to what Apple and Android does next as well. It's all connected.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    05-21-12 10:57 AM
    Steve Jobs will be the Tupac of the tech sector, for years after his death they will be releasing products that Steve Jobs had close intimate involvement in their design,
    Hilarious!!! I believe it!!! LOL

Look, I'm about as big a BB fan as they come, but this kind of talk isn't helping anybody or anything. Like him or not, Jobs' vision brought Apple to where it is today. So why should they not have confidence in that portion of his vision that he himself did not live long enough to see through? Last I read, he had plans laid out for at least five years down the road. What would you suggest they pursue if not that?

I'm sure you don't like people crapping on your BB; quit crapping on other people and their choices.
    If only your maturity were contagious...
    05-21-12 11:10 AM
    I'm really hoping it isn't wedge shaped like the awful rendering posted in another thread, that would be horrible.

its funny how apple news pop up in the crackberry news and rumours section. hahaha.
    anyway, if i were to guess. the new iphone will have a unibody design as with their macbook lineup.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    05-21-12 11:21 AM
    I'm really hoping it isn't wedge shaped like the awful rendering posted in another thread, that would be horrible.
    It wouldn't matter what it looked like, people would still buy it because it is an iPhone with a "beautiful" Apple logo on the back. Apple gets a pass for everything in the media and general public's eyes.
    05-21-12 12:24 PM
    I don't think it would be a good idea for a company in a quickly evolving tech industry to take its cues from someone who is deceased.
    05-21-12 12:58 PM
    Can we PLEASE discuss this without the insults? Some of us seem able to!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-21-12 01:09 PM
    @Morlock_Man
    How do you presume to know anything at all about Tim Cook? He's the guy Jobs wanted to be CEO after he died. Reckon maybe he knows anything you don't?
    I reckon I know he's got a BS in Industrial Engineering as well as an MBA.

Do either of those education backgrounds make him suited to micromanaging electronics innovation? He11 no.

It makes him suited to micromanaging the production and distribution of the devices, not the design, which is what he's doing.

Jobs had peculiar genius for it. Cook's genius seems to be concentrated elsewhere.

Or does education not count for anything anymore?
    05-21-12 01:12 PM

Do either of those education backgrounds make him suited to micromanaging electronics innovation? He11 no.

It makes him suited to micromanaging the production and distribution of the devices, not the design, which is what he's doing.

Jobs had peculiar genius for it. Cook's genius seems to be concentrated elsewhere.

Jobs was a college dropout. Your point?
    avt123 likes this.
    05-21-12 01:21 PM

Well Education University Education is only 7-9 years of his life he Cook has been with Apple for 14 or so years, under Steve Jobs, which is a good amount of time to learn

Also Tim was an stand in CEO in 2004, 2009, and finally taking over in 2011, so he has had a lot of on the job training which is worth far more than Education.

Will be be another Steve Jobs? probably not, but he just needs to hire the right people to compliment him to get the production managed properly
    avt123 likes this.
    05-21-12 01:21 PM
    I think it's pathetic. The iSheep are already looking back to 'glory days'...not good
    Why is everyone an iSheep, and why do you use so many damn Smilies?

I am sure Steve Jobs was involved on a lot of their upcoming products. People are iSheep because of this?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-21-12 01:43 PM
    Uhh, he was still quite alive and mostly well when the iP4's antenna problem blew up. Whether or not that was a legitimate 'scandal', iPhones are still notorious for having comparatively poor radio reception. He wasn't perfect. Nor does anyone have any idea how well Cook will or will not be able to execute. Obviously Apple will not be the same without Jobs at the helm; but there's absolutely no way at this stage for anyone to say it will be worse. Do you really think Jobs was the only one in that organization with any kind of attention to detail?
    ...and in fact, if you read the Jobs biography you'll find that Jobs insisted on design elements (i.e. the near-seamless metal band around the phone) that engineers warned him could cause problems. Jobs, in his typical arrogance, didn't think it would be an issue.

I'm a fan of Jobs on the whole, but he was hardly infallible.

Tim Cook has a very different management style from Jobs. He's much more even-tempered, for one thing, and there's already some suggestion that Apple is being managed in a more consensual style. The argument could be made that the need for a micromanager like Jobs isn't there anymore, but time will tell.

Cook hasn't been afraid to make major changes, either. Folding Apple's Education division into Sales was significant, and may have set Jobs spinning in his grave as that's a move he always passionately opposed.

I don't think we know what kind of "product" people are left at Apple, though, aside from Jony Ive. Jobs took such a firm--and complete--control of product development at Apple and I have this strong suspicion that anyone else as passionate about product as he was would have run afoul of him at some point. Jon Rubenstein certainly did.
    05-21-12 01:46 PM
    How is ease of use a bad thing?
    It's not.

Old people and young people can use BBs as well. It's really not that hard, it's just the iPhone is easier. That's a good thing for many consumers.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    05-21-12 01:50 PM
    Here's the thing with the iPhone: Apple's painted itself into a corner.

The iPhone is a very nice design, certainly, but it's now iconic enough that it's essentially frozen; if they change it too much they run the risk of alienating users who are resistant to change.

That's RIM's opportunity with BB10, though. Since it's such a different platform, and they've lost that much market share in the US anyway, they have little to lose in making it different. As long as those differences are appealing and functional, they might stand a chance.
    05-21-12 01:52 PM
    Obviously one version of a phone has worked out for apple so far but I've always thought it was a flawed business model in the long term. RIM has shown to be very flexible with being able to offer a wide range of models for numerous different markets. Soon they will have two more than capable mobile device operating systems as well.
    Last edited by hurds; 05-21-12 at 05:57 PM. Reason: hmmm
    05-21-12 03:51 PM
    I think it's pathetic. The iSheep are already looking back to 'glory days'...not good
    What's pathetic is the situation RIM has gotten themselves into!
    05-21-12 04:13 PM
    Obviously one version of a phone has worked out for apple so far but I've always thouht it was a flawed business mode in the long term. RIM has shown to be very flexible with being able to offer a wide range of models for numerous different markets. Soon they will have two more than capable mobile device operating systems as well.
    very flexible???!! yeah, sure. RIM has adapted to market really well. see stock price and declining market share is US.

Apple has the ability to focus on fewer products and make it better and more polished. I think their 100 billion is cash has proven that.
    05-21-12 04:22 PM
    Yes I have an iPod touch (aka iPhone without cell guts) to formulate that opinion with. I think the OS is pretty bland, and that home button is so quaint. Engineered so the lowest common denominator can use it. You're using and proud of a piece of tech that grannies and 2 year olds can use with ease too, congrats! And this is Crackberry by the way so most users here are going to be pro-Blackberry and not iPhone.
    People lie, numbers don't, and whether you like it or not Apple is winning; my iPhone does more than any Blackberry can dream of, and more. Blackberry 7, is nothingless than an simple outdated OS put together to sustain the little bit of marketshare RIM currently has, in which every Blackberry 7 device thus far have flopped! RIM has the most simple OS their is on the entire market; and shall we speak on BB10 which is a clear ripoff of 3 different OS's, which have been in the lab for what over 2-3 years? In which RIM still has not finished the project. Blackberry 10 won't save RIM, it will be dead on arrival just like the playbook, which was supposed to kill the iPad according to you crackheads, remember?

^ lol @ somebody who isn't a blackberry crackhead that still visits blackberry forums.

Since I stopped using my iphone, and stopped playing video games I had no reason to lurk on those forums any more. Clearly that is not the case for others.

As for Jobs working closing with the next release. It only makes sense. They have only released one phone since his passing (and that was very close to his death). I'm sure his company like many others have more than one generation/model/concept in the works.
    ...But RIM wants those games on OS10, remember blackberry is a tool not a toy.

I remember a couple of years ago, when the big debate on this forum was whether Blackberrys should have "wifi" added to them, RIM will forever be behind and last to market.

One thing is for sure, RIM does not have the talent Apple has, so we have to wait longer for things to be done.
    pungster likes this.
    05-21-12 04:40 PM
    People lie, numbers don't, and whether you like it or not Apple is winning; my iPhone does more than any Blackberry can dream of, and more. Blackberry 7, is nothingless than an simple outdated OS put together to sustain the little bit of marketshare RIM currently has, in which every Blackberry 7 device thus far have flopped! RIM has the most simple OS their is on the entire market; and shall we speak on BB10 which is a clear ripoff of 3 different OS's, which have been in the lab for what over 2-3 years? In which RIM still has not finished the project. Blackberry 10 won't save RIM, it will be dead on arrival just like the playbook, which was supposed to kill the iPad according to you crackheads, remember?

...But RIM wants those games on OS10, remember blackberry is a tool not a toy.

I remember a couple of years ago, when the big debate on this forum was whether Blackberrys should have "wifi" added to them, RIM will forever be behind and last to market.

One thing is for sure, RIM does not have the talent Apple has, so we have to wait longer for things to be done.

Baaaaaa baaaaa baaaaa
    05-21-12 05:46 PM
    Who cares? I mean this is a BlackBerry forum, if you want to talk about iPods/iPads/iPhones, go to the right subforum lol

And in technology business "roadmaps" that spam years are useless, the tech is always moving fordward, an any amount of vision would not tell you where is going in +3 years.. I don't think any apple product in the next few years was "overlooked" in any stage by Jobs, maybe he could make a concept, beyond from that is unlikely.
    I agree with you saying about tech always moving forward like for example the Kinect for the xbox took the controller/hand held gaming into a wireless "air" controller.
    2. there should be a thread in both crackberry and imore that just lets you either complain about blackberry or complain about apple. Both company's, "ALL" company's products are not perfect and both Tim Cook and Rim's CEO are good at different things like Rim, for business, productivity and for people who do
    Apple, for lifestyle, entertainment etc.
    As one good CEO said "blackberry isn't for the average joe, its for people who do."
    And 3. who cares if the iphone has a bigger screen, this is the crackberry forum, for Crackberrians, world wide to help one another and to share info, apps, tips etc. Imore has a whole thread of the Iphone 5.

oh and one more thing.......

Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-21-12 05:52 PM
    very flexible???!! yeah, sure. RIM has adapted to market really well. see stock price and declining market share is US.

Apple has the ability to focus on fewer products and make it better and more polished. I think their 100 billion is cash has proven that.
    what's going on with the stock price and US market share? its the first I'm hearing about it.

Maybe you are right. One phone for all. And I guess its time we declare apple the winner for all eternity.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-21-12 05:55 PM
109 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD