I feel sorry for Sir Jonathan Ive in all this, he's the genius behind the iphone's physical form to date and will continue to be. As has been said SJ was a micro manager who brought all the aspects of the iphone together into a cohesive experience. So to whomever said if Ive steps up...he already has, a long time ago.
    Apple owes a huge debt to Ive. I have no doubt of that whatsoever. In fact, I'll say that Apple as a company has done more to bring truly excellent industrial design to more people than maybe anyone else, and Ive has driven that for more than a decade now.

In his way, though, Ive needed Jobs, at least if I read Isaacson's biography correctly. Ive had a fantastic vision, but Jobs did a lot of the arm-twisting to get the engineers to take him seriously. I think that is one area where Apple might easily begin to compromise, especially if they feel they can take their market for granted.
    morlock_man likes this.
    05-22-12 06:19 PM
    Be ready for it. There were rumors that he left Apple with a couple years of products before he died.
    They have already confirmed they have over 10 years of products pre-prepared.
    05-22-12 07:07 PM
    Why feel sorry for him? Jobs always gave him his due credit publicly and I'm sure he's nicely compensated as an Apple executive?
    Jobs may have given him credit but most of the public doesn't. The implication of jobs working closely on redesigned iphone is that jobs was the one who redesigned it. Recognition is worth more than money in the long run.

Although it's occurred to me the Queen gave him some recognition with his nice knighthood, but I doubt most people don't know what it's for/that he's got one/that he even exists!
    05-22-12 07:11 PM
    BB10 has a lot of Apple and Android fanboys worried
    05-22-12 08:16 PM
    Why is that?
    05-22-12 08:37 PM
    God doesn't even believe that lol. Macrumors defecated on Blackberry OS10, and the Android sites, and forums followed. Did you read the Engadget comments? Lol No one is worried, nor pressed about BB10, the only individuals whom have hope in it is Crackberry heads, and 99% of them have yet to even use it. Thus far BB10 received nothing but lukewarm responses... Apple worried? iPhone 5 comes out this fall, the only one whom should be worried is Blackberry, can we say playbook 2.0 dead on arrival?
    05-22-12 09:57 PM
    Apple is the Twilight of the tech world.
    05-23-12 12:32 AM
    God doesn't even believe that lol. Macrumors defecated on Blackberry OS10, and the Android sites, and forums followed. Did you read the Engadget comments? Lol No one is worried, nor pressed about BB10, the only individuals whom have hope in it is Crackberry heads, and 99% of them have yet to even use it. Thus far BB10 received nothing but lukewarm responses... Apple worried? iPhone 5 comes out this fall, the only one whom should be worried is Blackberry, can we say playbook 2.0 dead on arrival?
    Looks like its got you worried enough to come here and post that. The PB verion of OS that BB10 is built on is extremely impressive. You should try it.

I'm worried for apple with only incremental changes since the first iphone. They've become a commodity phone and have over-saturated the market with their phone. They run the risk of alienating users if they make and drastic changes but if they don't they are 'resting on their laurels'.
    05-23-12 03:01 AM
    Apple has got to change things up with the iPhone 5. Android is surpassing Apple with Samsung leading the way. I've noticed a shift around me, in favour of Android. And two colleagues who have been Apple fans for years are waiting until the iPhone 5 releases. They're tired of the same old UI, the controlled environment.
    Personally, I cannot last over a week on my 4s. I try to love it. Really try. It just bores me to tears. White bread turkey sandwich with mayonnaise.
    05-23-12 06:26 AM
    Apple has got to change things up with the iPhone 5. Android is surpassing Apple with Samsung leading the way. I've noticed a shift around me, in favour of Android. And two colleagues who have been Apple fans for years are waiting until the iPhone 5 releases. They're tired of the same old UI, the controlled environment.
    Personally, I cannot last over a week on my 4s. I try to love it. Really try. It just bores me to tears. White bread turkey sandwich with mayonnaise.
    Yet the stale BB OS (5,6 & 7 are virtually the same & to be honest the menu driven interface hasn't changed in a decade) and Bold rehashes (9650, 9700, 9780, 9790) have proven to be exciting? Okay, whatever floats your boat. Strikes me all the platforms are a little stale and Windows 8 and BB10 are the only "new" things in the pipeline (publicly), remains to be seen what the new iPhone and iOS6 bring to the table.
    Last edited by xandermac; 05-23-12 at 08:30 AM.
    05-23-12 08:24 AM
    Yet the stale BB OS (5,6 & 7 are virtually the same & to be honest the menu driven interface hasn't changed in a decade) and Bold rehashes (9650, 9700, 9780, 9790) have proven to be exciting? Okay, whatever floats your boat. Strikes me all the platforms are a little stale and Windows 8 and BB10 are the only "new" things in the pipeline (publicly), remains to be seen what the new iPhone and iOS6 bring to the table.
    I'm comparing iOS to Android, not to BB.

And even on BB, if I want to change the look of the interface, I can use themes. No rooting or jailbreak. I know that it won't overhaul things like Launcher Pro will on Android, but at least I can change the look of the screens.

And I don't like Windows for the same reason - if I have to look at those tiles day in, day out week after week I'll toss the phone out the window on the Beltway and get arrested under suspicion of a terrorist act. I had the Lumia in my hand and I just couldn't go through with it.

To be honest, I've got the 4S sitting in its box on my counter. And I wanted so badly this morning to just go (again!) to AT&T and swap out the phones, the Skyrocket for the 4S. But I *know* that it will be like every time before....I'll be happy for a couple of days and I'll try to change it up and I won't be able to do so. And off I'll go...again...to AT&T to swap out the 4S for the Skyrocket.

I *want* to love the 4S. I just get bored.
    05-23-12 09:08 AM
    They have already confirmed they have over 10 years of products pre-prepared.
    That's nice. A lot can change in one year let alone ten.
    05-23-12 11:08 AM
    Also they said that after Jobs died, it was to reassure the market, don't know how true it is...
    05-23-12 12:58 PM
    Also they said that after Jobs died, it was to reassure the market, don't know how true it is...
    Don't be silly. It's BS. The market changes constantly, and nobody has a crystal ball to say when the right technology will be available at the right time for the right device.

Did Jobs leave a lot of unrealized ideas? Very likely, I'm sure, but when you consider that Jobs vision of the Dynabook from the mid-80s only finally came to fruition in the form of the iPad in 2010, there can be a fair gap from concept to reality.

Jobs was brilliant, and a visionary, but he wasn't psychic.
    05-23-12 01:20 PM
    Be ready for it. There were rumors that he left Apple with a couple years of products before he died.
    I read the biography. He thought the #2 person in the company was the design guy. I forget his name. The design studio was top secret, with guards and biometrics. He would have lunch with the design head a lot and look at mockups and computer renderings. I'm sure there were a lot of ideas brewing. He wasn't a software guy like Gates. He was an aesthetics guy all the way. One of the last products he insisted on was the magnetic cover for the iPad. He hated that people covered the thing with leather thus making the curved shape of the tablet hidden. They sell for $40-75 each, and we have 2 of them. The dude had some taste.
    Apple never wanted to dominate a market, and they never will. Their iPhone goal was 4% in 2 years. I think they did better than that. It seems their goal is to win loyal fanboys and get them to buy their stuff. I was an Apple hater for years. Now we've got 2 iPads, a Mac, an iPhone (wife), 2 Ipods and a few other gizmos. But I have a Samsung phone!
    Last edited by thebignewt; 05-23-12 at 05:34 PM.
    05-23-12 05:23 PM
    All cell phones become obsolete within 1-2 years.
    All cell phones make users bored from the same old looking concept day in and day out.
    All cell phones must evolve in time, but time is the defeating factor of what will win and what will lose.

Steve Jobs gave is all a great creation and without steve jobs. There most likely would of never been blackberries, androids and so forth in the market.

Think about it 20 years ago what did we really have? Garbage internet, garbage cell service, garbage cell phones.

Then steve jobs came along with his iphone idea and man oh man he was right and all other phones that came after steves idea are just Knock Off Wannbes, its true no lie just copy cats is all.

Thank You Steve Jobs for everything you have done, R.I.P
    05-23-12 06:56 PM
    ^^^^ you're funny.
    05-23-12 06:58 PM
    All cell phones make users bored from the same old looking concept day in and day out.
    All cell phones must evolve in time, but time is the defeating factor of what will win and what will lose.

Steve Jobs gave is all a great creation and without steve jobs. There most likely would of never been blackberries, androids and so forth in the market.

Think about it 20 years ago what did we really have? Garbage internet, garbage cell service, garbage cell phones.

Then steve jobs came along with his iphone idea and man oh man he was right and all other phones that came after steves idea are just Knock Off Wannbes, its true no lie just copy cats is all.

I pity the f_ _l that wrote this post
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    05-23-12 07:37 PM
    I pity the f_ _l that wrote this post
    Holy dude. Just noticed every single post you have has emoticons in it lol.
    05-23-12 08:30 PM
    Holy dude. Just noticed every single post you have has emoticons in it lol.
    It's the new period
    05-23-12 08:40 PM

LOL!!!!

Could someone explain to this w@nker the history of smartphones and how BBerries were around long before 2007???? I'm laughing too hard at this nonsense.....

And one of the reasons I don't get bored with my Androids and my BBerries is that I don't HAVE to look at the same thing day in, day out. I can change the look. Without having to jailbreak.

WOW....fanboism at its most evident....
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-23-12 at 09:18 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-23-12 08:56 PM
    I'm comparing iOS to Android, not to BB.

And even on BB, if I want to change the look of the interface, I can use themes. No rooting or jailbreak. I know that it won't overhaul things like Launcher Pro will on Android, but at least I can change the look of the screens.

And I don't like Windows for the same reason - if I have to look at those tiles day in, day out week after week I'll toss the phone out the window on the Beltway and get arrested under suspicion of a terrorist act. I had the Lumia in my hand and I just couldn't go through with it.

To be honest, I've got the 4S sitting in its box on my counter. And I wanted so badly this morning to just go (again!) to AT&T and swap out the phones, the Skyrocket for the 4S. But I *know* that it will be like every time before....I'll be happy for a couple of days and I'll try to change it up and I won't be able to do so. And off I'll go...again...to AT&T to swap out the 4S for the Skyrocket.

I *want* to love the 4S. I just get bored.
    So why waste your time and money?
    05-23-12 10:26 PM
    LOL!!!!

Could someone explain to this w@nker the history of smartphones and how BBerries were around long before 2007???? I'm laughing too hard at this nonsense.....

And one of the reasons I don't get bored with my Androids and my BBerries is that I don't HAVE to look at the same thing day in, day out. I can change the look. Without having to jailbreak.

WOW....fanboism at its most evident....
    There were certainly smartphones BEFORE iPhone. It's just that, compared to now, nobody cared. I don't know how many more people own smartphones now than did before 2007, but it's a lot.
    05-23-12 10:30 PM
    So why waste your time and money?
    Two things. Curiosity about.the device. There is, undeniably, seemingly universal love for the iPhone. It is a dominant, revolutionary device. I want to see for myself what makes it so.
    Secondly, I'm a phone.geek. And it is a gorgeous device.
    I simply prefer BB and Android. My BB has my trust over anything else. And my Atrix and Skyrocketing work much, much better for me than my 4S.
    05-24-12 04:17 AM
    There were certainly smartphones BEFORE iPhone. It's just that, compared to now, nobody cared. I don't know how many more people own smartphones now than did before 2007, but it's a lot.
    I would turn that logic around. There would not gave been a iPhone without the market that Palm and BB created. Jobs' genious was in taking the concept and adding the only truly usable native browser at the time, adding entertainment, and simplifying it down to where it was usabe across all demographics.
    05-24-12 04:26 AM
109 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD