Apple just took a pretty big legal blow from Nokia. The once mobile powerhouse and king of the hill, Nokia, is mad. Android is next!

Apple and Nokia patent dispute ends with license agreement, Apple payments -- Engadget
    06-14-11 10:19 AM
    It's been expected that Apple would eventually settle the suit. Basically, all phone makers pay some kind of licensing fee to Nokia, they own serious patents pertaining to GSM technology. The question was how much Apple would pay. The Apple countersuits were more a method of bargaining than anything else.
    06-14-11 04:33 PM
    I don't know where you're getting your legal terminology from, but I've NEVER heard of a settlement being treated as a defeat.

99.9% of the time settling is cheaper than fighting it, right or wrong in the situation.
    06-14-11 05:21 PM
    I don't know where you're getting your legal terminology from, but I've NEVER heard of a settlement being treated as a defeat.

99.9% of the time settling is cheaper than fighting it, right or wrong in the situation.
    CNN seems to have heard of a settlement being treated as a defeat. Whether it be sweet or bitter.

Nokia patent settlement a 'sweet defeat' for Apple - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    06-14-11 09:29 PM
    Hey Mr. Marco, do you ever have anything good to say about Apple? I guess you only post to knock them. What phone are you using? It can't be an Apple product, can it?
    06-14-11 11:09 PM
    CNN seems to have heard of a settlement being treated as a defeat. Whether it be sweet or bitter.

Nokia patent settlement a 'sweet defeat' for Apple - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    Please show me where this writer is a lawyer or has one bit of legal credibility. Just because the media says it doesn't make it true....
    06-14-11 11:26 PM
    Please show me where this writer is a lawyer or has one bit of legal credibility. Just because the media says it doesn't make it true....
    I don't know if the writer is a lawyer or not. But earlier you said you never heard of a settlement being treated as a defeat. And now with the CNN article I showed you, you have heard of a settlement being treated as a defeat. Whether or not that is the proper legal treatment, you can do the research on that.

As for you sith lord.... You and I have much unfinished business.
    06-15-11 01:00 AM
    So if you were sued for $50,000 for something civilly and could settle for $5,000 instead of paying a lawyer $10,000, are you defeated or settling based on a cost/benefit analysis and what's best for your business' pocket? These are not legal defeats or ever recorded as a win/loss for either party respectively (nor are offers to settle admissible as evidence in court for a reason) as courts want to promote judicial efficiency and allow parties to work it out on their own.

The point is a settlement is far from a legal defeat; no research necessary as I did have a law school education. And in fact upon 2nd review, the article cited does not even reference the word defeat or hint at that notion.

"Defeat" was your added word in some attempt to bash on Apple.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-15-11 at 02:09 AM.
    06-15-11 01:50 AM
    Lo @stu'. Good observation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-11 02:57 AM
    I don't know if the writer is a lawyer or not. But earlier you said you never heard of a settlement being treated as a defeat. And now with the CNN article I showed you, you have heard of a settlement being treated as a defeat. Whether or not that is the proper legal treatment, you can do the research on that.

The particulars of this lawsuit has been know for a while. Apple, if it were to go to trial, would probably lose. Basically, every phone manufacturer in the world pays Nokia licensing fees for using their GSM and 3G technology. Apple has been holding off on agreeing to a licensing agreement in hopes of paying less than what Nokia is demanding. The countersuits were basically a bargaining chip in the negotiation of those licensing fees.

As for whether the settlement is a win or defeat. It's most likely a win/win for both sides. Apple probably got to pay less than what was demanded by Nokia to license their technology, and Nokia now has one more source of income.
    06-15-11 03:46 AM

Bring your light saber with you, you'll need it!
    06-15-11 08:48 AM
    So if you were sued for $50,000 for something civilly and could settle for $5,000 instead of paying a lawyer $10,000, are you defeated or settling based on a cost/benefit analysis and what's best for your business' pocket? These are not legal defeats or ever recorded as a win/loss for either party respectively (nor are offers to settle admissible as evidence in court for a reason) as courts want to promote judicial efficiency and allow parties to work it out on their own.

The point is a settlement is far from a legal defeat; no research necessary as I did have a law school education. And in fact upon 2nd review, the article cited does not even reference the word defeat or hint at that notion.

"Defeat" was your added word in some attempt to bash on Apple.
    I didn't add the word defeat. I read the CNN article and that word is contained in the title. And I wasn't bashing Apple. It's what happened to the company. Also I wouldn't feel so free and mighty like a white knight riding a white horse into battle to vanquish the "bashing foes of Apple". Steve Jobs and Apple don't need you, or care, that you are "defending" them.

And you're going to need more than a light saber sith lord when you and I meet.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 06-15-11 at 12:05 PM.
    06-15-11 11:49 AM
    lmao apple fans even troll themselves. Too funny.
    06-15-11 11:58 AM
    I don't give a hoot about Steve Jobs, or his legal problems. I'm certainly not a white knight trying to defend Apple. You're right about one thing though, Apple doesn't care about me one bit. The point of my thread was NOT about Apple, it was about YOU. I've never seen you post a thread where you had anything good to say about the company, or it's products... Yet you use(according to your avatar), an iPhone. Maybe your just trying to add to your "post count", by posting controversial topics. If that's the answer, then i think it's pretty lame. Don't try any of your Jedi mind tricks on me, as i am a Sith, and i am strong with the Darkside!
    06-15-11 01:40 PM
    I don't give a hoot about Steve Jobs, or his legal problems. I'm certainly not a white knight trying to defend Apple. You're right about one thing though, Apple doesn't care about me one bit. The point of my thread was NOT about Apple, it was about YOU. I've never seen you post a thread where you had anything good to say about the company, or it's products... Yet you use(according to your avatar), an iPhone. Maybe your just trying to add to your "post count", by posting controversial topics. If that's the answer, then i think it's pretty lame. Don't try any of your Jedi mind tricks on me, as i am a Sith, and i am strong with the Darkside!
    First of all sith lord, I own an iPhone and am very happy with it. Just because I post current news surrounding Apple doesn't mean I'm here to take them down.

The dark side will not help you nor will your faith in emperor palpatine.
    06-15-11 03:11 PM
    O.K. So as soon as i see you post some "current news" about Apple(there's positive news out there), i'll put away my light saber! The Sith can show mercy, when called upon to do so.
    06-15-11 11:01 PM
    Precisely. The "I'm just posting innocent news" is getting old when every quoted story is some Apple bash or Apple did this or that poorly. No one is blind or stupid to it.

There is positive news out there, I didnt see any how good iOS5 articles discussed or how many millions of iOS devices were sold, just yet another bashing Apple (and poorly/inaccurately at that) story.
    06-15-11 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD