04-29-10 11:35 AM
    I think when people get too rich or too powerful they start letting their personal feelings interfere with business. He can still afford it.
    04-29-10 11:39 AM
    I'm ready for HTML5 anyway. But they have taken too long to bring flash to mobile platforms that by the time they do it, it won't even matter anymore. Apple has so much influence right now, they companies will go with HTML5 as well. I think Adobe dropped the ball on it by taking too long.
    04-29-10 12:18 PM
    Doubt it. Everything is still flash. It really doesn't matter how long Adobe waited, it's still going to be a battery killing, memory hogging beast on a phone, regardless of whether it came out 10 years ago or in the year 3010.

Apple is powerful, but frankly the Internet > Apple. Apple can try all they want but they'll never get the majority of sites and programmers using HTML5 if they don't want to (which they clearly don't, or else things would already be shifting), I don't care what anyone says.

If he manages to do it though, I'm declaring the Fourth Reich in full effect.
    04-29-10 12:59 PM
    Doubt it. Everything is still flash. It really doesn't matter how long Adobe waited, it's still going to be a battery killing, memory hogging beast on a phone, regardless of whether it came out 10 years ago or in the year 3010.

Apple is powerful, but frankly the Internet > Apple. Apple can try all they want but they'll never get the majority of sites and programmers using HTML5 if they don't want to (which they clearly don't, or else things would already be shifting), I don't care what anyone says.

If he manages to do it though, I'm declaring the Fourth Reich in full effect.
    No one said that flash would be different if they came out with it 10 years ago. The point is, Adobe took too long to make it usable for all platforms so now there will be competition. And with Apple spearheading the push for HTML5 that makes it even worst for Adobe. Do you even read and comprehend before you respond? Seriously? And in case you haven't read about it, but a lot have been moving to HTML5 because of Apple and IMO, I don't see that slowing down. Apple has the clout now and if people want their stuff to be viewable on Apple product they best get it on HTML5.
    04-29-10 01:24 PM
    Apparently you can't read either. I was not claiming in any way shape or form that Flash would have been different for ANY platform 10 years ago or now. I understood your point, but clearly you didn't understand mine. I was stating that it wouldn't have mattered whether it rolled out then (when it could have been usable for all / several platforms) or now, when it's open to literally everyone EXCEPT Apple.

I was saying that FLASH on MOBILE PHONES (I'm going to capitalize the words from my previous post so you can reference it) would be a BATTERY KILLER and a MEMORY HOG, regardless of WHEN IT CAME OUT, be it 50 years ago or the YEAR 3010.

And also, let's see some of these sites. I'm sure they've got a little picture of Steve Jobs in the corner with a thumbs up saying "HTML5 compatible!" too.

Regardless, I'm not trying to argue; just stating my opinion on Flash and it's indifference in timeframe.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-29-10 at 02:30 PM.
    04-29-10 01:34 PM
    We will know soon enough if Adobe Flash on mobile devices = FAIL
    04-29-10 02:46 PM
    Why bother with Flash when you can just go to iTunes and BUY something to watch?
    04-29-10 03:00 PM
    Isn't it obvious Flash will fail on a touchscreen device such as the iPhone or iPod touch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 05:19 PM
    I just read the Thoughts on Flash by Jobs on Apples site:

Thoughts on Flash

He makes some very valid points. Adobe has promising Flash on phones for almost 2 years and keeps pushing the date back (2nd half of 2010 is the latest promise). Apple asked them to show flash running well on any smartphone and they couldn't do it. The H.264 decoder in flash is an older one that can't use the H.264 decoders in mobile chipsets making decoding in software necessary halfing the battery life (at least on iPhone). And to develop in Flash you have to buy Adobe's software because it is proprietary, now so is the iPhone but at least they release the SDK's. And Flash is designed for rollover features with a mouse, but in a touch device there is no concept of rollover so all the Flash sites would have to be rewritten to support the iPhone anyway, and if you are going to do that then why not just use HTML5. Oh and apparently Apple created WebKit, that we have been begging Blackberry for and they will finally deliver.

I think I'll side with Jobs on this one. All his points are well laid out where Adobe is just whining and still has nothing to the market for phones. Plus the Apple marketing machine is hard force to reckon with, and Apple has been gaining market share in the mobile and home markets, and really does make some great stuff. All new home computers and laptops that get bought at my home are Macs because they have great designs and just work. We adopted Macs for some networks where I work, and I run them (I'm a network routing guy not a sysadmin) and they are always working even though the Windows people supporting the agency's main network are constantly running around cause it is breaking all the time.
    04-29-10 08:19 PM
    And it's not just Jobs. While Microsoft doesn't quite put it like Jobs does, they certainly agree that HTML5 is the future. And this is more motivation for companies to go HTML5 over flash in the next couple years.

Microsoft weighs in: 'the future of the web is HTML5' -- Engadget
    04-30-10 08:10 AM
    We knew 2 years ago. Works fine on a Nokia 5800.
    04-30-10 08:23 AM
    Isn't it obvious Flash will fail on a touchscreen device such as the iPhone or iPod touch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well I meant on a Android devices. Adobe is supposed to release Flash in 2.2
    . Which if Flash is a battery hog those HTC touchscreens which already have bad battery life will = FAIL!
    04-30-10 09:29 AM
    And if it works well, then it will be non-flash supporting phones = Fail...
    04-30-10 10:52 AM
    I dont want to side with Jobs but flash is buggy. Could it be b/c i am an mac user?
    04-30-10 02:51 PM
    No. Flash is buggy because it's buggy.
    Also:
    04-30-10 03:01 PM
    I dont want to side with Jobs but flash is buggy. Could it be b/c i am an mac user?
    I don't remember the last time we've seen a Flash problem on Windows and that's with 150+ users.

Funny how nobody mentions the various bugs in Quicktime that have opened vulnerabilities... Pobody's Nerfect...
    04-30-10 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD