Difference in features between the 16gb model and the 32gb model besides the extra memory? My contract is finally up, and I'm going to switch from my BB Pearl 8120 to a 3GS, but don't know if I should spring for the 32gb model since I am not a heavy iPod user or apps user. Just want it for basic functions (ie. phone, browsing, email). The browser in my Pearl stinks. Thanks in advance.
    09-15-09 11:40 AM
    Like me many people will tell you the same thing. If you can get the 32GB one get that. It will have better re-sale value if you decide to sell it later on and especially if you unlock it. Besides why wouldnt you want more memory? you say you dont use it alot but trust me there, i alone had up to 7GB of just apps and 10gb of movies so I'd recommend the 32GB.
    09-15-09 12:12 PM
    They are the same device just memory is doubled. The extra 16GB's is worth the $100 if you ask me. If you decide to fill the sucker up, you can't add more memory later.
    09-15-09 01:15 PM
    They are the same device just memory is doubled. The extra 16GB's is worth the $100 if you ask me. If you decide to fill the sucker up, you can't add more memory later.
    Ok, thanks guys. Will order the 32GB model then.
    09-15-09 01:24 PM
    Semi related question.
    I could only afford the 16g. I want to know what happens when I have used ALL of the available memory or get close to it?
    Right now I just leave at lease 1gig free.

I know with a BB, when memory gets low, it gets sluggish and causes reboots, auto deletes etc. Does the same thing happen with the 3Gs?
    09-26-09 07:57 AM
    Semi related question.
    I could only afford the 16g. I want to know what happens when I have used ALL of the available memory or get close to it?
    Right now I just leave at lease 1gig free.

I know with a BB, when memory gets low, it gets sluggish and causes reboots, auto deletes etc. Does the same thing happen with the 3Gs?
    That's a great question. The only answer I have is that I haven't really seen
    any claims about something like that happening. On this or other forums. I
    really don't believe that's something you would have to worry about.

However given what you said about only being able to go with a 16Gig, if you
    can only afford it right now but would be able to afford it, let's say a month
    from now with no problems, I'd wait out the month. Garz makes an excellent
    point above. The one hundred dollars more is very much worth it for 16 more gigs.
    09-26-09 12:39 PM
    Thanks f29. I've been surfing the iphone forums over the years and haven't heard of such issues either.

As for choosing the 16g
    -I already purchased it yesterday
    -I said can only afford 16g because I honestly don't NEED an iphone. I Love my Bold but just got bored with it.
    -I also own (and may still carry) my 32G itouch depending on battery life of iphone, I listen to the ipod 10 hours per day.
    09-26-09 02:26 PM
    Thanks f29. I've been surfing the iphone forums over the years and haven't heard of such issues either.

As for choosing the 16g
    -I already purchased it yesterday
    -I said can only afford 16g because I honestly don't NEED an iphone. I Love my Bold but just got bored with it.
    -I also own (and may still carry) my 32G itouch depending on battery life of iphone, I listen to the ipod 10 hours per day.
    Oh that's cool. How you liking it so far? We're still waiting on a 3.1 Jailbreak...
    09-26-09 02:50 PM
    I also only have the 16GB 3GS. I also have an iPod touch that I use.
    09-26-09 03:10 PM
    I love it so far! Especially since I'm a Mac user. I love the plug,sync/update and go.
    No more getting excited because I spent 30 min updating my OS and gained a few more MB of memory lol.

My biggest concern was/is battery life. So far I've been at home on wifi and haven't put it down. Battery seems fair but I need to see what happens when I'm out and about on 3G or EDGE.

Also I don't get the hype behind Safari with all the zooming and pinching necessary to read non mobile sites, it's a bit annoying but I'll get used to it I guess.

How do you like your 3GS?
    -I need to read up on jailbreaking.
    Last edited by Teek; 09-26-09 at 03:41 PM.
    09-26-09 03:30 PM
    I love it so far! Especially since I'm a Mac user. I love the plug,sync/update and go.
    No more getting excited because I spent 30 min updating my OS and gained a few more MB of memory lol.

My biggest concern was/is battery life. So far I've been at home on wifi and haven't put it down. Battery seems fair but I need to see what happens when I'm out and about on 3G or EDGE.

Also I don't get the hype behind Safari with all the zooming and pinching necessary to read non mobile sites, it's a bit annoying but I'll get used to it I guess.

How do you like your 3GS?
    -I need to read up on jailbreaking.
    I do much more zooming in/out on Safari with double-tapping. I hardly do any
    of that pinching nonsense. By far the best mobile browser in the business.
    Battery life is hit or miss. But I got a charger at home, work, and in my truck
    so it's never that much of an issue.

I like it a lot. I liked it better when it was jailbroken though. Basically because
    jailbreaking allowed me to backround non-native apps. I had a problem with
    my first phone and took it back. When I decided to get it back the phones
    already came with 3.1 so I was screwed in that sense.
    09-26-09 04:08 PM
    Just curious, what problem you had with the first one?
    09-26-09 08:26 PM
    Just curious, what problem you had with the first one?
    I almost dropped it and got to thinking it wasn't worth keeping if I didn't have
    insurance given my history with dropping Blackberry's. So I took it back (reluctantly).

Used Bold again for a week and wanted the phone back. Went to the Apple
    store and got a new white one instead. I use an In-Case for it now which
    doesn't make the phone bulky at all and fits perfectly in my Bold's leather
    OEM case.
    09-26-09 08:31 PM
    Damn. I JUST came back 10 min ago from buying a new belt holster. I didn't even think to try my Bold holster and you are right. Fits perfect and feels better/familiar
    thanks for that tip..

The case I bought will be returned!
    09-26-09 08:49 PM
    from what i know if you get close to full memory, when you do a restart or a complete power on from off state. It will take forever to load up to the home screen.
    10-01-09 12:27 PM
    sometimes a good 5 minutes.
    10-01-09 12:28 PM
    ok good to know. thanks
    10-01-09 11:12 PM
    Personally got a 16gb as I dont have a ton of media. Have about 2gb of apps (half of that is Navigon and maps), 1.5gb of music, and 4 or 5 full movies.

I still have 9gb free on a regular basis, so there was no point to spend the extra $100 personally. Ill never fill up the full 14.5 or so GB free you get to access.

Get what you need based on your collection of media.
    10-01-09 11:58 PM
    Thanks for your opinions all. I ended up buying the 32gb version cause I figured I'd be using it for 2 yrs, and if I ended up really liking the phone, would probably download a lot of stuff in it. I've already loaded 27 apps, over a thousand photos from my computer, a hundred MP3s, and I still have about 28gb left. LOL. This phone is amazing!
    10-02-09 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD