Apple's New iPad Faces Snags Outside U.S.

Apple's New iPad Faces 4G Snags Outside U.S. - WSJ.com

MELBOURNE, AustraliaApple Inc.'s AAPL +0.06% new iPad faced rising complaints in several countries that it was incompatible with fast fourth-generation cellular networks outside North America.

In Australia, the company agreed to tell consumers more clearly about the tablet computer's capabilities and will head back to court in a fight to retain the iPad's 4G branding. Meanwhile, Sweden's consumer watchdog is considering whether to start an investigation into whether the labeling is misleading.

The issue arises because the frequency bands allocated to run next-generation 4G networks differ from country to country. Apple on its website says, "4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the U.S. and on Bell, Rogers, and Telus networks in Canada."

The third version of the iPad went on sale early this month. The Cupertino, Calif., company said it has been its strongest iPad rollout, selling more than three million units world-wide.

Apple on Wednesday reached an agreement with the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission to clarify the new iPad's 4G compatibility and will offer to refund early purchasers who believed they had been misled about the iPad's capabilities in the country. Apple lawyers said in Australia Federal Court that the company would take steps to ensure that consumers didn't buy the new iPad mistakenly believing it could connect to Telstra Corp.'s fastest wireless network, which differs from the 4G networks rolled out in the U.S. and Canada.

Customers lining up outside an Apple store in Sydney on March 16, 2012, to get their hands on the latest iPad.
    Read More

Walt Mossberg: 4G or Not 4G?
    Apple Accused of Misleading on iPad in Australia
    Tech Europe: Sweden May Probe iPad Marketing

Colin Golvan, a lawyer for the commission, which initiated the court proceedings, said the watchdog ultimately wants Apple to stop selling the product as "iPad Wi-Fi + 4G."

The case has been closely watched in other markets where the iPad is on sale.

In Sweden, one of the few countries in Europe with extensive 4G coverage, the new iPad won't function on 4G networks. The tablet supports the long-term evolution protocol on the 700-megahertz and 2100-megahertz frequencies. But in Sweden, the 700-megahertz band is used for television broadcasts, and the 2100-megahertz band is used for third-generation data traffic. It is unlikely that either will be repurposed for other uses.

Marek Andersson, a lawyer at the Swedish Consumer Agency, said it has received several complaints from consumers over marketing that touts the new iPad as having 4G connectivity. He said the agency is considering starting an investigation.

"One may rightfully ask if the marketing of the new iPad is misleading," Mr. Andersson said. "The question is whether this information is clear enough in Apple's marketing."

The new iPad also is incompatible with 4G networks in Germany, where telecom operators have started to roll out LTE mobile networks in earnest. Consumer organizations said they weren't aware of complaints, however. Apple in Germany declined to say whether the incompatibility had affected sales.

Fourth-generation coverage hasn't rolled out in France, Spain and the U.K., but other regions are affected.

Matthew Wilsher, chief marketing officer for Emirates Telecommunications Corp., said it is "difficult and disappointing" that the new iPad is incompatible with the 4G network in the Mideast. The company, commonly known as Etisalat, in September began 4G services in the United Arab Emirates' major cities. "I'm sure that in the future there will be [Apple] models that have LTE version that works on our LTE network," Mr. Willsher said.

Apple hasn't released the latest iPad in the Mideast, but retailers in the U.A.E. have said gray-market sales have been robust.

In Australia, Judge Mordecai Bromberg set a hearing for May 2. He ordered that Apple add a disclaimer in its stores and on its Australian websites saying: "This product supports very fast cellular networks. It is not compatible with current Australian 4G LTE networks and Wi-Max networks." Apple also will provide displays for third-party stores, email the clarification to customers and offer a refund for anyone in Australia who bought the new iPad 4G before March 28.

The trial is likely to center on whether consumers could have been expected to know that the new iPad wouldn't work on Australia's 4G networks.

"It will be contested by Apple there are in Australia networks that, according to international definitions, are 4Gare properly described as 4G," Apple senior council Paul Anastassiou told the court. "Can you mislead a consumer with a statement that is technically accurate?" Apple said it didn't anticipate that many customers would seek to return their iPads.

Australia's competition commission had wanted Apple to place a sticker on its iPad packaging saying the device is "not compatible with current Australia 4G networks." Apple rejected that request.

Telstra said it has been careful to ensure that customers understand that the new iPad doesn't run on its 4G LTE network in Australia.

In Japan, Softbank Corp. is the only company offering the new iPad, and the company doesn't offer 4G service. Softbank said the company tells customers who purchase the 4G model that they will be using it on a 3G network.
    03-28-12 01:03 PM
    yea right. the users should have known that when apple advertized it was 4G it was only 4G in certain places and that if there were any problems it is the users fault.

Ive seen the ads from Australia and it clearly says 4G. So, Apple knew very well that it wouldnt work and still said it would. If any other company did this it would be PLASTERED all over the news.
    kbz1960 and plh121 like this.
    03-28-12 05:41 PM
    "One may rightfully ask if the marketing of the new iPad is misleading," Mr. Andersson said. "The question is whether this information is clear enough in Apple's marketing."
    Exactly. Similar to the "quad-core graphics" . Their marketing is misleading in many ways
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-28-12 11:23 PM
    When the playbook came under heavy criticism wasn't the prevailing attitude "the consumer should educate themselves"? I still see it to this day.

Good story though.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    03-29-12 07:36 PM
    When the playbook came under heavy criticism wasn't the prevailing attitude "the consumer should educate themselves"? I still see it to this day.

Good story though.

The consumer should educate themselves and even if they don't they have a 14 day return window. Pretty simple.
    03-29-12 10:42 PM
    They should make it more clear to consumers. I have an iPhone 4S and the new iPad and I fully support the class action lawsuit again Apple for their Siri advertising. These products aren't cheap and they need to make sure consumers understand what they are really getting. Now they don't need to make it the lead headline in the ad, but please clearly state what the limitations of the device are as much as what the features are.

Like the Siri ads. The 4S was heavily marketed with Siri as a selling point but with the typical fine print, it's a beta feature. When was the last time that a beta feature was the main selling point for consumer product? Siri doesn't work nearly as well as they showed in the ads. The fact that you need a network connection for it to do anything wasn't clearly stated, which makes it useless for millions of people to take the subway to work or are in an area with weak coverage.

They should get flack over this. I love their products but they are not beyond fault.
    03-30-12 09:58 AM
    That's why they have a return policy. A class action lawsuit for a product you can return if you aren't satisfied is laughable and an abuse of the legal system.
    03-30-12 07:33 PM

Good story though.

Deciding which is a better 4G tablet basedon specs, size, battery life etc would be educating yourself. This is different bc they are saying it IS 4G when it is NOT. How can you properly educate yourself when the information you are reading is wrong?

Yes, it does say on the website that it only works in NA... but apple continued to advertize it EVERYWHERE as 4G and shipped 4G models to countries that cant use them

when cars are shipped to the uk the steering wheel is on the other side... they ship the right model to the assigned country. When books are shipped to countries you get german bookssent to germany. So why is it ok for apple to send non compatible 4G units outside of NA and advertize them as 'working'?
    03-31-12 01:20 AM
    That's why they have a return policy. A class action lawsuit for a product you can return if you aren't satisfied is laughable and an abuse of the legal system.
    Not really... many people sold their old ipads to afford the new ones, they also then bought new routers when they saw the wifi/4G wasnt working. So if they return the ipad they DONT get their old ipad back and they would also have to return the router. That being said, they are now out of an ipad and have to wait probably one month to get over $1000 credited to their account.

obviously they should have done more work, but apple has to have some sort of blame in this.
    03-31-12 01:32 PM
    Yes, it does say on the website that it only works in NA... but apple continued to advertize it EVERYWHERE as 4G and shipped 4G models to countries that cant use them
    But if it IS 4G capable, how is that false advertising? It's up to the carriers and stores ordering these things, or the Apple stores selling them, to let people know whether it's compatible on their network. And the consumer has to take some responsibility as well..

Seems laughable to me..and i'm far from an Apple lover. That'd be like buying an enviro-car that needs to be recharged, and then crying because their is no "re-charging" stations in your town..
    Last edited by Rickroller; 03-31-12 at 02:00 PM.
    03-31-12 01:58 PM
    Deciding which is a better 4G tablet basedon specs, size, battery life etc would be educating yourself. This is different bc they are saying it IS 4G when it is NOT. How can you properly educate yourself when the information you are reading is wrong?

when cars are shipped to the uk the steering wheel is on the other side... they ship the right model to the assigned country. When books are shipped to countries you get german bookssent to germany. So why is it ok for apple to send non compatible 4G units outside of NA and advertize them as 'working'?
    I dont know...how can people properly educate themselves when you see picture like this.

03-31-12 04:22 PM
    I dont know...how can people properly educate themselves when you see picture like this.

Click to view quoted image
    I've never seen that, is it official...poorly angled screen shots are also pretty different then official advertisements and physical copies of branded devices. And RIM has been called out for not having apps, especially Skype and netflix. Also having a Skype app is not a MAJOR feature that was advertised everywhere

I never saw the 'buy the playbook so you can skype' ad, but I have seen a 4G iPad app in all these markets where it doesn't work

I'm really sorry man, but apple messed up on this one and I just keep shaking my head at every excuse I see.

When RIM promised native email and contacts and didn't deliver for a year people went crazy and the company is now on its last leg... From what I understand the new iPad 4G problem can never be fixedwhich, by definition, makes it a much more serious problem... yet I have everyone, including mods, telling me to give it up... Really?
    04-01-12 01:50 AM
    I've never seen that, is it official...poorly angled screen shots are also pretty different then official advertisements and physical copies of branded devices. And RIM has been called out for not having apps, especially Skype and netflix. Also having a Skype app is not a MAJOR feature that was advertised everywhere

I never saw the 'buy the playbook so you can skype' ad, but I have seen a 4G iPad app in all these markets where it doesn't work

I'm really sorry man, but apple messed up on this one and I just keep shaking my head at every excuse I see.

When RIM promised native email and contacts and didn't deliver for a year people went crazy and the company is now on its last leg... From what I understand the new iPad 4G problem can never be fixedwhich, by definition, makes it a much more serious problem... yet I have everyone, including mods, telling me to give it up... Really?
    Yep, really.
    04-01-12 10:00 PM
    Not really... many people sold their old ipads to afford the new ones, they also then bought new routers when they saw the wifi/4G wasnt working. So if they return the ipad they DONT get their old ipad back and they would also have to return the router. That being said, they are now out of an ipad and have to wait probably one month to get over $1000 credited to their account.

obviously they should have done more work, but apple has to have some sort of blame in this.
    Wait wouldn't you just buy another iPad? The iPad 2 is $100 bucks cheaper and you can find iPad 1st gens refurbished on Apples site even cheaper. You wouldnt be out an ipad or any money at all. A router can also be returned just as easily. As far as waiting for a refund, I purchased an iPad 2 when the priced dropped, the day the New iPad came out, I decided I wanted that one so I returned to 2. It took all of four days for the refund to hit my account. Sorry, but I don't see your logic.
    04-01-12 10:08 PM
    seems laughable to me..and i'm far from an apple lover. That'd be like buying an enviro-car that needs to be recharged, and then crying because their is no "re-charging" stations in your town..
    ^^^^ this!!
    04-01-12 10:09 PM

yes its official, it was shown of at CES before the PB was released.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-app-world-playbook
    04-01-12 10:20 PM
    Wait wouldn't you just buy another iPad? The iPad 2 is $100 bucks cheaper and you can find iPad 1st gens refurbished on Apples site even cheaper. You wouldnt be out an ipad or any money at all. A router can also be returned just as easily. As far as waiting for a refund, I purchased an iPad 2 when the priced dropped, the day the New iPad came out, I decided I wanted that one so I returned to 2. It took all of four days for the refund to hit my account. Sorry, but I don't see your logic.
    Tell that to everyone outside of this continent. Again, you are cheering for the losing side on this one
    04-02-12 12:48 AM
    yes its official, it was shown of at CES before the PB was released.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-app-world-playbook
    So it was a demo, like when movie trailers show parts that aren't in the movie. That is totally different then a person being handed a device and told 'this' device you have in your hand right now is 4G. Every company shows different things in demos, just like the teaser pic we got for the new iPad that had no home button... But the actual device does have one.
    04-02-12 12:52 AM
    Tell that to everyone outside of this continent. Again, you are cheering for the losing side on this one
    They'll sell 15,000,000 in the 1st year regardless. There just isn't a case here, sorry. My iPhone 4s now says 4g in the corner, doesn't mean its 4g but I don't expect/demand some kind of payback.

However, I want to make it clear that I do agree with your concerns, it's deceptive to put 4g on the box in a country where it's not supported. Personally, I would know it wasn't supported but not everyone is me.
    Last edited by xandermac; 04-02-12 at 07:36 AM.
    04-02-12 07:10 AM
    They'll sell 15,000,000 in the 1st year regardless. There just isn't a case here, sorry. My iPhone 4s now says 4g in the corner, doesn't mean its 4g but I don't expect/demand some kind of payback.

However, I want to make it clear that I do agree with your concerns, it's deceptive to put 4g on the box in a country where it's not supported. Personally, I would know it wasn't supported but not everyone is me.
    But this is exactly my point. I KNOW that people agree it is deceptive...but nothing is said bc of the company that they are. I wont argue the point anymore bc there is obviously a double standard with apple vs everyone else and i have better things to do then post facts to have one word/picture responses made to them which are somehow supposed to be an argument.

Thanks for seeing what is happening, i wish others would be able to take the blinders off
    04-02-12 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD