I want the iphone 4, but if a better one is coming in 4 or 5 months I'd wait. Does anyone have information on this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 12:31 PM
    sorry, I don't think anyone truly knows at this point....I would probably bet that at&t will be getting the new iPhone in June though...in any case, the next iPhone may not be much of a significant upgrade, I'm thinking it will be like going from the 3G to 3GS...probably a bump in processor speed, new antenna (like the one vzw has), bump in camera megapixel, and probably a software upgrade (which you would still get on an older iPhone, so you will pretty much have the same features software wise of the newer iPhone)...but, I don't think there will be an LTE version until next year when LTE will be more widespread....if the current iPhone fits your needs, just go for it...you will be able to upgrade to the iPhone 6 (or whatever it will be called) next year at 20 months into your 2 year contract (so around October of next year)...this is what I will be doing...
    01-13-11 01:23 PM
    Even if I wasn't sure, I'd wait anyway. We already know that Apple has released a
    phone each of the past four summers. So there's a pretty good chance it would
    happen for Verizon. I'd wait it out. Not worth a 2-year upgrade. Unless you get the
    i4 from a 3rd party.
    01-13-11 01:32 PM
    Check out engadget. They have some info on this. Like everyone said, no one is certain it will happen.

01-13-11 01:49 PM
    if you can wait, i would wait. as was mentioned, apple has released iphone updates every summer since its been introduced, and there is nothing here to suggest otherwise. i thoughtit was interesting during the announcement that tim cook said that verizon users wanted the phone now, so they made the current iphone4 available to the verizon network. to me, that reads they have a new phone inthe works, but watned to get the current model on the network as quick as possible for those that wanted it. also, i dont see apple giving a new version to att, and not having it available also to verizon - if not the same day, then at least the same month, and at least at the same product announcement.
    01-13-11 02:11 PM
    I think that is the asumption. an iphone refresh both gsm and cdma in June.
    01-13-11 02:12 PM
    if you can wait, i would wait. as was mentioned, apple has released iphone updates every summer since its been introduced, and there is nothing here to suggest otherwise. i thoughtit was interesting during the announcement that tim cook said that verizon users wanted the phone now, so they made the current iphone4 available to the verizon network. to me, that reads they have a new phone inthe works, but watned to get the current model on the network as quick as possible for those that wanted it. also, i dont see apple giving a new version to att, and not having it available also to verizon - if not the same day, then at least the same month, and at least at the same product announcement.
    yes, there's a refresh every summer, but it may not be the same for VZW...I can see a global iPhone available for VZW in the summer but I really don't think it will be a significant upgrade. BGR posted pics/video of the next iPhone casing which it was originally thought to be the VZW iPhone...however, it wasn't since it had a slot for a sim...it also had a redesigned antenna (just like the one VZW has)...but, everything else was the same, such as the overall size of the device...that's why I think the refresh will be similar to the 'jump' from the 3G to the 3GS iPhone. Faster processor (although it might affect battery life which apple doesn't like to do plus the iPhone 4 is fast enough, many times faster than 1.2 Ghz processors on android); better camera (although the current one is just fine and takes better pics than my 8 megapixel Incredible); and possibly a larger memory...

also, this cdma iPhone was not only meant for vzw, but also for China, Japan, and other countries that use CDMA tech...I just read that a CDMA iPhone is headed for China in a few weeks as well...you know how much money that will bring it? Apple isn't stupid, they made this cdma version partly for China as well and they will get it out as quickly as possible to get that money....

in any case, the decision is really up to you...if you can wait, then do it...but for me, I look at it this way, I'm not guaranteed to live tomorrow so if I want something today and I am able to get it, then I will get it...simple...
    01-13-11 02:27 PM
    This is what I think, I think ATT will get the refresh in July as we always have, and then in Feb whatever refresh we get, Verizon will get as well.... For all those going no way.. not a chance... think about it in terms of making enough phones....

All of us current iPhoners know that any launch has been more successful and more insane to get an iPhone than ever before, now throw in the largest mobile network with their CDMA iPhone... now you have to make TWICE as many phones in the same amount of time...

NOT GONNA HAPPEN, this would make any flaws or DOA's that get by quality control worse if anything, it did happen with the i4 will yellow spots on the screen etc...

All in all was pretty glitch free launch except for the websites going down on pre launch day in June... so would Apple create more problems for themselves ? No I doubt it, this is why the VZW iPhone was announced when it was, and I think Apple will throw a little bone ATT's way for being the only carrier for the iPhone for all these years... just my .02 worth
    01-14-11 02:29 PM
    Folks, I know for a fact that Verizon will get the Iphone 5. What sucks is so many people will be locked into 2 year contracts and wont' get the Iphone 5 when it comes out because they signed up for the outdate Iphone 4. I wonder if they realize their Iphone 4 will be 31 months old by the time they can get a new phone.

The Iphone 4 has been out 7 months + your 24 month contract = 31 months.

Verizon screws the public again!!
    01-16-11 07:16 AM
    And now you have to take into consideration that verizon did away with NE2 just in time for their iPhone release.

01-16-11 10:37 AM
    There is no way that Verizon will release another version of the iPhone in June - what would be the point? Why wouldn't they just wait and release it then?
    01-16-11 04:40 PM
    Screw it man, get the iphone as soon as possible...

You could get hit by a car in the next three months never have experienced the iphone on verizon. Live for today, and if the iphone 5 or whatever comes out in june is that awesome sell your current one and fork over the dough for the new one.

01-16-11 09:34 PM
    Look at a thread I created a few days ago for some info.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/int...inside-576059/
    01-16-11 09:45 PM
    The million dollar question.... The **** with it I am jumping. Most of what I see says no 4G and moderate upgrade. I have waited long enough. I don't want to be locked in to a contract any longer than nece before the 4G one comes out.

01-16-11 10:02 PM
    Nobody knows for sure.....but I cannot imagine Apple will put out a new version of the iPhone for VZW customers 4 months after the original goes on sale. The negative PR that would come from it would make antenna-gate look like a blip on the radar.

If I had to guess I'd say the refresh schedule will put the AT&T version out in June and the Verizon version in January going forward.
    01-17-11 10:56 AM
    and like I stated earlier, think of how many phones they'd have to manufacture to even try to keep up with both carriers at the time, it'd be 1000x's worse than is now in July lol

why I think the new iPhones will come out in July for ATT and June for VZW, because lets be realistic, the July launch is for GSM the world standard... VZW is CDMA
    01-17-11 12:04 PM
    i understand what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense based on what i've read and seen. i would think if apple gets its way, the iphone5 will be one single device that will work on any carrier regardless where in the world you are - GSM or CDMA, one device, one product.
    01-17-11 12:10 PM
    Read a thread I created a few days ago containing iPhone 5 info!!!

As I stated in that thread, I don't think Apple is one to play all the grace period games where one carrier gets the iPhone for a certain amount of time and then the other carrier will get it. I think Apple is about streamlining everything and getting their products into the hands of as many people as they can quickly. That's why hopefully all these rumors are true and the iPhone 5 works on both GSM and CDMA and will be available to all on the same day.
    01-17-11 03:53 PM
    This is what I think, I think ATT will get the refresh in July as we always have, and then in Feb whatever refresh we get, Verizon will get as well.... For all those going no way.. not a chance... think about it in terms of making enough phones....
    I agree 100%. Look at the trouble Apple had trying to keep up with the demand when the iPhone 4 came out. Apple and AT&T had to stop taking pre-orders, people were waiting weeks for a phone, and their websites were crashing. There is no way they are going to want to bring that kind of hurt upon themselves again (or worse) by adding the CDMA phones into the June release mix. Add into the equation the fact that its rumored they are going to start offering the CDMA version to asian CDMA markets-- thats a lot of f-ing phones. If they are smart they will alternate GSM and CDMA to keep things rolling along (semi) smoothly during release times.

If you wait until June-ish to buy an iPhone 5, and then find out VZW is not going to get it until Feb are you then going to wait another 7 months for the iPhone 5 or are you going to plunge into buying a 4 that you could have been enjoying already for (approx) 5 months?

I was in a similar situation waiting for the white iPhone. Thats the one I wanted but I finally broke down and bought a black one (and I love it!). I will probably still buy the white one. Then I'll probably buy the iPhone 5 too! I have 3 lines on my account so I have a little wiggle room. Lets face it, if you want the new phone bad enough there are ways to get it. Either have another line to fall back on or just pony up more cashola.

Good luck to you Verizon folks with your decision. I hope you like the iPhone as much as I do. Its been a long time coming.
    01-17-11 09:05 PM
    Well, AT&T has the early upgrade for anyone, so I don't know if VZW has similar, but I doubt they would refuse to take in more cash if someone just gotta have it. Money solves everything and if you get tired of their iphone 4-s after one year I'm sure there is a way to get the newer one, just make sure you have a thick wallet.
    01-17-11 11:21 PM
    I think even if it's an dual GSM/CDMA phone it will NOT be allowed to be activated on VZW until Feb, since you'd have to normally get a phone from Apple or the carrier, Apple could put it's thumb down on this lol
    01-18-11 01:25 AM
    I bet they do. I dont see Apple release iPhone 5's 7 months apart
    01-18-11 11:58 AM
    I'm thinking they're going to integrate everything into one phone. It doesn't make sense to have one exclusive to each carrier and make their workload double what it already is.

01-18-11 12:47 PM
    I've thought about this for a long time. Read a ton of posts, websites, speculators, sooth-sayers, tea leaf readers and bloggers. In the end, I believe the iPhone 4 to be a more enjoyable experience than my 9650 so I'll make the switch.

The "outdated" iPhone4 is still years ahead of my 9650 in many areas so I'll end up with major improvements regardless of how old the iPhone4 is. If it turns out that the iPhone5 comes out in June/July then so be it...technology moves so fast anymore that the iPhone5 will likely be outdated before you read this post.

Worst case- I give the iPhone4 to my non-techie wife and get the iPhone5 when it comes out if it's really so much more amazing than the 4...
    Last edited by Heckler; 01-18-11 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spell check
    01-18-11 02:08 PM
    now after hearing some of the rumors of what the next iPhone will be like, I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do....I thought I had it all planned out but I just don't know now...I thought about getting the iP4 as soon as it hit VZW so that I would still have an opportunity to upgrade to the next iPhone next year (after 20 months aka October 2012)...My reasoning for this was based on the notion that this summer's release wouldn't be much of an upgrade but now I hear that it will have a totally new form factor although probably no LTE, which really doesn't bother me that much because I have no idea what vzw will charge for LTE and it isn't even available in my area yet. Plus, LTE would be more stable and more widely available next year thereby attracting Apple to make an LTE version in 2012 and I would be eligible to get that one by then if I went with the iP4 now. However, if I wait til the summer for the iPhone 5 (or whatever it will be called) and if vzw won't get it, I would be really pissed since that would mean I would have to wait even longer for the next vzw iPhone or pick up the year old iP4 and be stuck with it until 2013....decisions, decisions....
    01-18-11 02:13 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD