Hello all,

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything that really answered my questions. I am considering purchasing an iPhone and unlocking it so that I can use it on t mobile. All questions are in reference to the iPhone 3G, NOT the iPhone 3GS.

If I unlock an iPhone that is running 3.0, will it be locked again if I upgrade to 3.1?
    Will MMS work on t mobile automatically or do I have to change a certain setting?
    Do I just need to unlock it? Or do I need to unlock it and jailbreak it?
    When I hook it up to my computer will it lock it up again if I try to use iTunes to put music and movies on it?
    Can I use my iTunes on a phone that I buy from someone else? Or does it have to be used on theirs?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    10-04-09 10:30 PM
    In answer to your questions:
    If your iPhone is unlocked with 3.0 and if you upgrade to 3.1, YES, the phone WILL BE locked and NOT jailbroken. You must reunlock and jailbreak again...
    MMS will work with TMO but you will have to configure your APN settings (you can find the settings on most iPhone forums).
    When you do connect your phone to iTunes, it will ask you if you want to upgrade (click 'NO'), if you don't upgrade your phone, it will not lock up. *Side Note: I am still using iTunes 8.2 so I do not know about iTunes 9*
    When you connect your phone to iTunes for the first time, it will ask you if you want to set it up as a new phone, click YES and your music will transfer over.
    I hope that I answered your questions correctly, If I did write something wrong, I am sorry.
    10-05-09 08:38 AM
    In answer to your questions:
    If your iPhone is unlocked with 3.0 and if you upgrade to 3.1, YES, the phone WILL BE locked and NOT jailbroken. You must reunlock and jailbreak again...
    MMS will work with TMO but you will have to configure your APN settings (you can find the settings on most iPhone forums).
    When you do connect your phone to iTunes, it will ask you if you want to upgrade (click 'NO'), if you don't upgrade your phone, it will not lock up. *Side Note: I am still using iTunes 8.2 so I do not know about iTunes 9*
    When you connect your phone to iTunes for the first time, it will ask you if you want to set it up as a new phone, click YES and your music will transfer over.
    I hope that I answered your questions correctly, If I did write something wrong, I am sorry.
    Thanks for answering my questions, but on a further note about MMS, will I only be able to send pictures? Or will I be able to send video as well? Also, how will being on t mobile affect my ability to access and download things off the app store?

Thanks.
    10-05-09 11:19 AM
    I have G3 unlocked and jailbroken and on another network and I am able to send and receive MMS so I see on reason why you can not. Regarding video, I can not answer that, I have not had a reason to send a video but since your able to upload a video to YouTube, facebook, I think you can. And the jailbreak will not affect you to download apps from the App Store but I mostly use Installous to get my apps...
    10-05-09 12:29 PM
    I have G3 unlocked and jailbroken and on another network and I am able to send and receive MMS so I see on reason why you can not. Regarding video, I can not answer that, I have not had a reason to send a video but since your able to upload a video to YouTube, facebook, I think you can. And the jailbreak will not affect you to download apps from the App Store but I mostly use Installous to get my apps...
    What OS are you running on your phone?

I know that it is possible to unlock an iphone that is running 3.0 firmware, but is there an unlock for 3.1 as well? The updates from 3.1 would be a must have for me.
    10-05-09 08:02 PM
    What OS are you running on your phone?

I know that it is possible to unlock an iphone that is running 3.0 firmware, but is there an unlock for 3.1 as well? The updates from 3.1 would be a must have for me.
    Sure can. I used Pwnage Tool for Mac for the jailbreak and then Ultrasn0w (thru Cydia) for the unlock.
    10-06-09 06:32 PM
    Sure can. I used Pwnage Tool for Mac for the jailbreak and then Ultrasn0w (thru Cydia) for the unlock.
    That is fantastic to hear, thank you. I may be picking one up very soon then.
    10-07-09 03:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD