I'm not sure if any of you had this issue but:
    My upgrade to 3.1 went very smoothly except for the contacts. Any contact who had a custom ringtone assigned to them was set back to default. Also, the photo assigned to them went from the full screen type to the thumbnail type.

Any ideas why?
    09-10-09 12:37 PM
    I've got an idea. Apple is a extremely nefarious company that doesn't believe in opening up there products. Also tethering and unlocking killed by 3.1. See this story.
    Last edited by jahoobob; 09-10-09 at 02:37 PM.
    09-10-09 02:34 PM
    I've got an idea. Apple is a extremely nefarious company that doesn't believe in opening up there products. Also tethering and unlocking killed by 3.1. See this story.

Because that's just so helpful to the OP...
    09-10-09 03:11 PM
    Because that's just so helpful to the OP...
    Thank you. Those with stable devices only should comment here.

@ the OP my best guess is it may have simply been a minor deal with the back-up restore. Have you tried "re-restoring" from your back-up?
    09-10-09 03:41 PM

@ the OP my best guess is it may have simply been a minor deal with the back-up restore. Have you tried "re-restoring" from your back-up?

Good suggestion but I found the problem almost 20 hours after it happened and have made a ton of changes on the iphone plus have done numerous syncs (w backup) so re-restoring isn't practical. Does itunes keep multiple backups? Can you access just part of it (ie. contacts)?
    09-10-09 03:48 PM
    Good suggestion but I found the problem almost 20 hours after it happened and have made a ton of changes on the iphone plus have done numerous syncs (w backup) so re-restoring isn't practical. Does itunes keep multiple backups? Can you access just part of it (ie. contacts)?
    I believe iTunes does in fact keep multiple back-ups... I'm trying to remember how to do it though... Hold on. I'm on another computer than my typical one, but I have used this phone on here before. Let me look into it.
    09-10-09 04:24 PM
    What happens when you right click on your iPhone in the sidebar in iTunes and select "restore from back-up" ? It should give you a drop down of several backups to restore from with times associated with them, yes?
    09-10-09 04:33 PM
    Like the OPs? BTW, my Storm has been very stable since upgrade to new OS version and I didn't lose contacts or music when I upgraded! Also, the OP asked if anyone had "any ideas why" and I answered that specific question.
    I think that the info I offered from ZDnet would be helpful to anyone who uses an unlocked iPhone or tethers and is planning to upgrade to 3.1. I didn't search for that news as I subscribe to ZDnet news.
    Interesting that both BBs and iPhones can be unlocked but only the iPhone needs to be broken out of (Apple) jail.
    Last edited by jahoobob; 09-11-09 at 10:25 AM.
    09-11-09 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD