The April issues of PCWorld has an interesting article on wireless 3G speed & reliability.

AT&T finished higher than VZW in both categories. Another interesting fact was the iPhone/AT&T combination has the greatest upload & download speeds of any other duo.
    03-21-10 08:18 AM
    I live in Canada, so I can only go off of what I see from US tv stations up here...but as far as I know, verizon never claimed to be the fastest. They claimed to be the largest and most reliable. The reliability studies are done by an independant 3rd party which looks at the entire USA, not just 13 cities. This is just another one of those surveys that is about 10% truth and 90% magazine selling material.

The wars are going on up here in Canada between Bell and Rogers too, with claims for reliability and speed constantly switching hands.
    03-21-10 09:52 AM
    I'm mystified by so many reports of AT&T having terrible service. I have no problems at all.
    Not saying people are lying, just intrigued that people can have such different experiences.
    03-21-10 01:16 PM
    I'm mystified by so many reports of AT&T having terrible service. I have no problems at all.
    Not saying people are lying, just intrigued that people can have such different experiences.
    It's because AT&T has the best devices and so people who have bad service with AT&T still get them and then complain.

You should see how many people would call in with poor coverage (into AT&T) and complain about their issue. I would look at their notes and it would say that they were told this, but they wanted the iPhone or Bold or Tilt (at the time when it was hot).

Just like you, I love my service. A+ for me. Always high reception (5 bars average, 4 the least and is rare).
    03-21-10 01:27 PM
    You know what's funny....after coming into this forum and reading so many reports of bad coverage, I've made it a point to look at my work issued BBerry (in sequence Verizon/Sprint/Verizon) and my personal AT&T. Aside from the Metro, I promise you that they're exactly the same as far as coverage.
    I travel almost all over the U.S. (not much in the Pacific Northwest or Hawaii) and sometimes abroad. Both phones give me the same experience in the continental U.S.
    03-22-10 04:25 PM
    AT&T is decent. I don't really like it, but I usually have 4-5 bars around here.
    03-22-10 04:49 PM
    I am running a Nexus 1 on At&T right now, just switched from a 3gs over the weekend. I have to say that i did have dropped calls with the iphone but i haven't had issues with the N1. From my experience the iphone does not switch between bands properly and it is my belief that it is the phone causing the issues and not so much the network. My 9700 works great as well, thus the iphone = the issue.
    Having said this, i won't take anything away fromt the iphone because it is a great device, it just needs to be improved.
    Last edited by dcgore; 03-23-10 at 09:03 AM.
    03-23-10 09:01 AM
    I love AT&T, it's my favorite company.

Unfortunately, I drop calls all the time.
    03-23-10 09:28 AM
    I am running a Nexus 1 on At&T right now, just switched from a 3gs over the weekend. I have to say that i did have dropped calls with the iphone but i haven't had issues with the N1. From my experience the iphone does not switch between bands properly and it is my belief that it is the phone causing the issues and not so much the network. My 9700 works great as well, thus the iphone = the issue.
    Having said this, i won't take anything away fromt the iphone because it is a great device, it just needs to be improved.

I'm sure that's something that will be addressed in the new 4G

I love AT&T, it's my favorite company.

Unfortunately, I drop calls all the time.
    I don't drop a lot of calls... I do however notice either gaps in coverage here in ohio or maybe it's related issue with the phone... however... I wouldn't go back to bb... my bat pull days are over lol
    03-23-10 10:05 AM
    data = excellent , calls = pretty crappy.
    03-23-10 11:53 AM
    Att iPhone 3Gs - data = excellent, calls = excellent
    03-23-10 12:53 PM
    The thing that is never spoken about by AT&T is their 3G coverage is non existent unless you live in a larger city. Sure it may be the fastest, but once you get away from the city and out into more rural areas, 3G is gone. In my area AT&T has no 3G coverage at all, and is surrounded by areas with little to no coverage at all. With Verizon I get 3G coverage almost everywhere in my area, untill I get to close to Indiana then there is a big black hole for Verizon and AT&T both, though I have heard that AT&T is improving in that area.
    03-23-10 01:09 PM
    Most of the people i have notcied on this site critizing At&t are verizon customers, or iPhone haters. so i usually don't pay attention to it.
    03-23-10 01:14 PM
    The thing that is never spoken about by AT&T is their 3G coverage is non existent unless you live in a larger city. Sure it may be the fastest, but once you get away from the city and out into more rural areas, 3G is gone. In my area AT&T has no 3G coverage at all, and is surrounded by areas with little to no coverage at all. With Verizon I get 3G coverage almost everywhere in my area, untill I get to close to Indiana then there is a big black hole for Verizon and AT&T both, though I have heard that AT&T is improving in that area.
    Would you consider the town of Wildwood, FL (population TEN) a large city? Have you ever been there.. your theory just went out the window.
    Talk about making stuff up..

AT&T 3G throughout that podumpadunk hilltown.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 03-23-10 at 01:43 PM.
    03-23-10 01:39 PM
    Would you consider the town of Wildwood, FL (population TEN) a large city? Have you ever been there.. your theory just went out the window.

Anything named wildwood isn't to big of a town lol. Love the name though sounds like a lot of smoking goes on there
    03-23-10 01:49 PM
    No my theory did not, how close to a 3G area makes a difference, just because Florida is only as wide as I am from the nearest large metro area means that some podunk little towns will get coverage. go out into the wide open spaces and you will see that AT&T 3G is a very small area. Check the AT&T 3G coverage map and you will see that 3G coverage only extends about 30 to 40 miles from any larger city. I have nothing against AT&T, just in my area and where I usually go, they have terrible coverage.
    03-23-10 01:56 PM

I know AT&T needs to get off their butts and at least 3G down below Canton, Ohio... There is one thing that's certain... try running an app on VZW 1X network and then try running it on EDGE... hands down EDGE wins that battle so I don't care entirely.... 3G would be nice in other areas here in Ohio.. but I read they are adding 30 new sites and upgrading over 240 here this year... so we'll see
    03-23-10 05:22 PM
    I live in Pittsburgh PA, and I think Verizon beats AT&T hands down for service. AT&T does have more coverage in some places. I have 5 bars with AT&T and still get dropped calls, but with Verizon I honestly never got a dropped call.

I suppose it all boils down to what area you are in.
    03-24-10 04:21 AM
    I live away from Winchester, VA. That's a goodly distance from a large city. I get 3G. We don't even use our landline.

My Mum lives in Cutler Bay, FL. She gets 3G.

When I go to CA I visit my friends in Vincent, CA. We get 3G.

I visit my old riding instructor in Palmdale, CA. I get 3G.

I have friends down in Lusby, MD. I get 3G there.

I visit my friend's ranch in Chestertown, MD. I get 3G there.

None of these places are major cities. Some are away from the highly concentrated Eastern cities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-10 05:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD