looks familiar huh? A feature so simple, yet so underrated finds its way to iOS6.

iOS 6 offers Do Not Disturb feature, adds more Zs to your slumber -- Engadget

iOS 6 offers Do Not Disturb feature, adds more Zs to your slumber
    By Brad Molen posted Jun 11th 2012 2:28PM

Ever get annoyed when your sleep is interrupted by a call or message coming into your phone? As we were hoping, iOS 6 is getting the badly needed Do Not Disturb feature we first saw in Mountain Lion last month. The idea is simple: when activated, push notifications will be automatically muted and the screen won't light up. A whitelist option will be available so you won't miss important callers; you can also set up the feature so that if a person calls you more than once, the phone will allow the call to come through. This is an exciting option for anyone who is tired of waking up to a notification only to find out it's their turn in Draw Something.

Check out our full coverage of WWDC 2012 at our event hub!
    ayushagnihotri likes this.
    06-11-12 02:40 PM
    I'll be surprised if they don't say they invented the feature and then when it comes out claim that RIM is copying the idea in BB10!
    06-11-12 02:58 PM
    I'll be surprised if they don't say they invented the feature and then when it comes out claim that RIM is copying the idea in BB10!
    So true! Blackberry has had this feature for at least 10 years right? but when Apple does it, its cool and new
    06-11-12 03:00 PM
    On a practical level, it's great when competitors add functionality. Hopefully, our side is doing the same.
    06-11-12 03:02 PM
    So true! Blackberry has had this feature for at least 10 years right? but when Apple does it, its cool and new
    Benefits of being the market leader.
    06-11-12 03:03 PM
    Let's not rain on the Apple fans' day. We won't appreciate when they do it to us.

It was a great presentation. It's their day. Give credit where it's due.
    TgeekB and avt123 like this.
    06-11-12 03:08 PM
    Wow....just wow.

Engadget is really grasping for reasons to validate the Appleoplooza they've created for their site today.
    06-11-12 03:10 PM
    Let's not rain on the Apple fans' day. We won't appreciate when they do it to us.

It was a great presentation. It's their day. Give credit where it's due.
    no rain here! I just thought it was interesting to see this "new" feature and how Apple fans have responded to it.

I've read "Best feature of iOS6!" in comments and find it surprising since Blackberry has had it for sooooo many years.

I've always wondered why Blackberry has never marketed this feature. There are some Blackberry users who dont even utilize Bedside Mode or know about it.
    06-11-12 03:11 PM
    They will also finally have Facebook and Twitter integration into the OS too. Hmmm where do I have that functionality?

As for raining on Apples day, sorry but I'm not posting on iMore, and I'm sure on BB10 product announcement day and the entire time up to that point they will not show us the same courtesies as they never do.

I did however like the Macbook updates coming, unfortunately my kid going to college seems to want a Windows laptop (because it can also play more game ). I'd much rather get him a Macbook as mine and our Apple Mini's have been rock solid. The engineering in the new Macbook Pro looks amazing.
    Last edited by lnichols; 06-11-12 at 03:18 PM.
    06-11-12 03:15 PM
    I've always wondered why Blackberry has never marketed this feature. There are some Blackberry users who dont even utilize Bedside Mode or know about it.
    Because on BlackBerry, it's so simple to switch between profiles so bedside mode isn't used by everyone.
    06-11-12 03:16 PM
    no rain here! I just thought it was interesting to see this "new" feature and how Apple fans have responded to it.

I've read "Best feature of iOS6!" in comments and find it surprising since Blackberry has had it for sooooo many years.

You're right, it is a great feature. And your post was timely.

I just hope we don't turn into some something similar to the well known trolls....

It's their celebration day. Trust me, I'll have plenty of celebratory booze on BB10 day!!!!
    pantlesspenguin and avt123 like this.
    06-11-12 03:17 PM
    you can also set up the feature so that if a person calls you more than once, the phone will allow the call to come through.
    I had no idea that Blackberry had this feature for 10 years, nor did I know how to use it. Would have been helpful. I've never even read anything in any of the forums about it. I usually pay attention to features like this.
    06-11-12 03:17 PM
    I used to turn my phone off at night until I read about this in the forums. I use it now, but I must admit I didn't know about it until about a year ago.
    06-11-12 03:21 PM
    I had no idea that Blackberry had this feature for 10 years, nor did I know how to use it. Would have been helpful. I've never even read anything in any of the forums about it. I usually pay attention to features like this.
    Other than the "calling more than once thing", yeah. The settings are in the Clock options.

You can customize it any way you want.

My Bedside Mode is set to "Phone Calls Only". All of my notifications still come through except my phone doesn't blink or make a sound. The screen dims and my phone just displays the clock.

When the alarm on my phone goes off in the morning, I exit Bedside Mode and check all of my messages.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 06-11-12 at 03:47 PM.
    06-11-12 03:26 PM
    Similarly, webOS had the swipe gestures way before PBOS, but somehow it's the coolest thing on earth that RIM invented

I agree with trelawrence, it's great people will be getting this new functionality. I hope BB10 will also have it.

But all this talk about who invented what and who just copied it is not particularly constructive. All companies, including Apple, Google, and RIM, copy from each other (if they can).
    06-11-12 03:29 PM
    It looks like it is a little bit different than bedside mode, but the basic premise is the same. I'm sure iOS users will like it.

I love Bedside Mode on my BBs. I have it automatically go into Bedside mode when plugged into the USB, where it opens the clock, dims the screen, turns off the LED and switches my profile to phone calls only.

Hopefully this feature is included in BB10, and expanded upon. Instead of being a clock setting, it should be a system setting so that bedside mode could automatically launch a third-party clock, for example. On my PlayBook, I have the screen dim when charging, but I have to launch Bed-Buzz manually. I have notification sounds turned down to nothing, since otherwise I'd go nuts hearing when every email came in. So I'm hoping BB10 brings bedside mode functionality.
    06-11-12 03:35 PM
    It looks like it is a little bit different than bedside mode, but the basic premise is the same. I'm sure iOS users will like it.

I love Bedside Mode on my BBs. I have it automatically go into Bedside mode when plugged into the USB, where it opens the clock, dims the screen, turns off the LED and switches my profile to phone calls only.

Hopefully this feature is included in BB10, and expanded upon. Instead of being a clock setting, it should be a system setting so that bedside mode could automatically launch a third-party clock, for example. On my PlayBook, I have the screen dim when charging, but I have to launch Bed-Buzz manually. I have notification sounds turned down to nothing, since otherwise I'd go nuts hearing when every email came in. So I'm hoping BB10 brings bedside mode functionality.
    By the way, do BBs have whitelists?

Also, I know that BBs can be turned off with the alarm set and they will wake up. This was also the case with all my Nokia phones. And I miss this feature.

Does anyone know if this feature will be in BB10?
    06-11-12 03:41 PM
    Similarly, webOS had the swipe gestures way before PBOS, but somehow it's the coolest thing on earth that RIM invented

I agree with trelawrence, it's great people will be getting this new functionality. I hope BB10 will also have it.

But all this talk about who invented what and who just copied it is not particularly constructive. All companies, including Apple, Google, and RIM, copy from each other (if they can).
    I agree. My point wasnt really about who invented it first though. Just the reaction.

Its like the iPhone finally getting real LED alerts or an iPhone with a keyboard.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 06-11-12 at 03:46 PM.
    06-11-12 03:42 PM

I knew about bedside mode but never exactly knew what it did? So ur right. But personally I don't need it, I turn my phone of when i sleep
    06-11-12 05:29 PM
    Other than the "calling more than once thing", yeah. The settings are in the Clock options.

You can customize it any way you want.

My Bedside Mode is set to "Phone Calls Only". All of my notifications still come through except my phone doesn't blink or make a sound. The screen dims and my phone just displays the clock.

When the alarm on my phone goes off in the morning, I exit Bedside Mode and check all of my messages.
    Well that was what I was talking about. The whole calling more than once thing seems pretty neat. Nothing innovative, but an interesting idea nonetheless.
    06-11-12 06:50 PM
    I knew about bedside mode but never exactly knew what it did? So ur right. But personally I don't need it, I turn my phone of when i sleep

Turn it off? I could never! Lol!

I'm addicted to my Crackberry even when I'm sleeping.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-11-12 06:50 PM
    Turn it off? I could never! Lol!

I'm addicted to my Crackberry even when I'm sleeping.

I can't tell you the last time my phone was off. I would say 2 months, maybe 3.
    06-11-12 06:52 PM
    Well that was what I was talking about. The whole calling more than once thing seems pretty neat. Nothing innovative, but an interesting idea nonetheless.

I guess...but what if somebody only calls once and its still important?? lol!

You'll still miss the call

06-11-12 06:52 PM
    I guess...but what if somebody only calls once and its still important?? lol!

You'll still miss the call

If it's important, they'll call back haha
    06-11-12 06:58 PM
    If it's important, they'll call back haha

"Oh no! The battery on my phone is about to die! let me call brucep1 using the last bit of power left to ask him to pick me up!"

*the first call, you don't answer*

*your friend's phone dies*

This could happen LOL!! :P

06-11-12 07:08 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD