I really am looking forward to having the Bedside Mode in some fashion.
    Amen!
    06-11-12 08:23 PM
    Every platform can be improved. Anyone who thinks theirs is perfect is deluded.
    If it was up to me, I'd 'borrow' features and functions from BB, Android, etc.

They will also finally have Facebook and Twitter integration into the OS too. Hmmm where do I have that functionality?

As for raining on Apples day, sorry but I'm not posting on iMore, and I'm sure on BB10 product announcement day and the entire time up to that point they will not show us the same courtesies as they never do.I did however like the Macbook updates coming, unfortunately my kid going to college seems to want a Windows laptop (because it can also play more game ). I'd much rather get him a Macbook as mine and our Apple Mini's have been rock solid. The engineering in the new Macbook Pro looks amazing.
    Speaking for myself, I may or may not read up on bb10 when it's announced, and it's very unlikely I'll post anything about it, positive or negative.
    Please don't lump me in with people who need to get a life.

I agree. My point wasnt really about who invented it first though. Just the reaction.

Its like the iPhone finally getting real LED alerts or an iPhone with a keyboard.
    One of the things I missed right away after switching from BB to iPhone was the LED.
    Like many others, I sometimes thought it blinked when it didn't.
    I'd check it just in case.
    After a couple weeks of cold turkey withdrawl from that damn blinking light, I found myself more relaxed, as I wasn't compulsively checking it all the time.
    I got the crack(berry) monkey off my back.
    It was liberating!
    :P

As for bedside mode, I guess it might be useful to have a phone close to you at night in case of emergencies.
    Normally, I want nothing to disturb my sleep, so I keep it in another room.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 06-11-12 at 10:03 PM.
    06-11-12 09:58 PM
    "Oh no! The battery on my phone is about to die! let me call brucep1 using the last bit of power left to ask him to pick me up!"

*the first call, you don't answer*

*your friend's phone dies*

This could happen LOL!! :P

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    That is what we call an unfortunate event haha. Lesson learned, always keep your phones charged folks.
    06-12-12 06:46 AM
    By the way, do BBs have whitelists?
    Not that I know of for Bedside Mode. This is the one difference that Apple has introduced. That is a nice to have feature if you do want to still allow certain calls through. This would be nice to have on BB. Maybe BB10 will steal this back.

EDIT: I take this back, BlackBerry does have the ability to handle a white list using the "Important Contacts" list. People in this list will have notifications come through no matter what sound profile you have set.This acts like the iOS 6 white list feature.
    Last edited by shabbs; 06-13-12 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Fixed wrong information provided.
    06-12-12 07:09 AM
    So true! Blackberry has had this feature for at least 10 years right? but when Apple does it, its cool and new
    Coming soon to iOS7, a new and powerful feature that has the ability to save your battery and to revent you from being disturbed at night.

IT IS INVENTED BY APPLE ESPECIALLY FOR iPHONE USERS. THE FEATURE IS.... so totally KEWL.

AUTO ON/OFF

It can even have different times for workdays and weekends. It's another 1st, 1st, 1st from Apple.

Oh yeah, we put the price up.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-12-12 07:21 AM
    They will also finally have Facebook and Twitter integration into the OS too. Hmmm where do I have that functionality?
    Where do you have that functionality? I have to install the FB & Twitter apps on my blackberry to get that functionality (just like the current iOS).
    06-12-12 01:12 PM
    As for raining on Apples day, sorry but I'm not posting on iMore, and I'm sure on BB10 product announcement day and the entire time up to that point they will not show us the same courtesies as they never do.
    Yes, fight fire with fire. That is the best way to get problems solved, am I right?

If you let a few posters on the internet spoil fun for you, then I suggest taking a break from CB. Who knows, maybe these people will be BB10 users by that time.
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-12-12 02:15 PM
    Yes, fight fire with fire. That is the best way to get problems solved, am I right?

If you let a few posters on the internet spoil fun for you, then I suggest taking a break from CB. Who knows, maybe these people will be BB10 users by that time.
    LOL. Without rabid fanboys like lnichols this place would become pretty boring.
    06-12-12 02:21 PM
    So true! Blackberry has had this feature for at least 10 years right? but when Apple does it, its cool and new
    Um, No, Not quite. OS 4.6 (2008) introduced bedside mode (Bold 9000, Pearl Flip etc), it is quite different to Apples implementation btw. RIM and Apple offer completely different features, RIMs implementation is merely a profile switcher, so you have to have a profile set up the right way to have a whitelist of callers (or a list of allowed contacts), there is also no "multiple calls" option from RIM (where if someone calls twice within 3 minutes the call will come through).

Apple doesn't open the clock app either, which always seemed pointless to me and I disable that anyway.
    06-12-12 02:28 PM
    Um, No, Not quite. OS 4.6 (2008) introduced bedside mode (Bold 9000, Pearl Flip etc), it is quite different to Apples implementation btw. RIM and Apple offer completely different features, RIMs implementation is merely a profile switcher, so you have to have a profile set up the right way to have a whitelist of callers (or a list of allowed contacts), there is also no "multiple calls" option from RIM (where if someone calls twice within 3 minutes the call will come through).

Apple doesn't open the clock app either, which always seemed pointless to me and I disable that anyway.

Its pretty much the same thing. The only difference is the whitelist feature.

Personally, I don't see an advantage of the multiple calls option. If its 3am, I'm pretty sure its important, even if they only call one time.

What if your friend is using their one and only phone call to call you from jail? lol While your phone is in "Do Not Disturb" mode you'll never get it.

But like I've said before. I'm not saying Apple is copying RIM or whatever. My point was the reaction of Apple users on a feature Blackberry has had for years already.

Bedside mode is a feature that I LOVE about Blackberry. I've used it every night since my 8900 in 2009. Every non-Blackberry user I know either turns their phone off or put it on Silent at night. When they have it on Silent they miss stuff all day because they forget to take it off Silent.

With bedside mode my phone just shows the clock and its dimly lit. When my alarm goes off in the morning, I exit bedside mode and check all my messages.

06-13-12 09:03 PM
    I..My point was the reaction of Apple users on a feature Blackberry has had for years already.
    I just don't get these arguments.. Why wouldn't someone who uses a product be excited about a new feature? Why should we have to say "Oh, I can't get excited about something new to the iPhone because it's already available on a Blackberry."

I was a long time BB use, and contributor to this website, and was a Theme designer here as well. I will say this.. if some new feature comes out on the iPhone that wasn't there before and it's a feature that I like, I'm gonna jump for joy. I could give a &#@) about if that feature had been a BB feature since day one. Likewise, if BB came out with a new feature that had been on the iPhone since day one, and BB users were getting all joyous, would I care? Nope..Would I say (not that you did) "Oh look, those BB users are all excited about a feature that has been on the iPhone for years..."

Just because something has been on another platform for years, be it Android, BB or iPhone and it then comes new to a different platform, why shouldn't those users be excited!?
    06-14-12 04:20 PM
    I just don't get these arguments.. Why wouldn't someone who uses a product be excited about a new feature? Why should we have to say "Oh, I can't get excited about something new to the iPhone because it's already available on a Blackberry."

I was a long time BB use, and contributor to this website, and was a Theme designer here as well. I will say this.. if some new feature comes out on the iPhone that wasn't there before and it's a feature that I like, I'm gonna jump for joy. I could give a &#@) about if that feature had been a BB feature since day one. Likewise, if BB came out with a new feature that had been on the iPhone since day one, and BB users were getting all joyous, would I care? Nope..Would I say (not that you did) "Oh look, those BB users are all excited about a feature that has been on the iPhone for years..."

Just because something has been on another platform for years, be it Android, BB or iPhone and it then comes new to a different platform, why shouldn't those users be excited!?
    Omg! I never said you shouldnt be excited. The title of the thread is "So iPhone users will finally get a taste of Blackberry's Bedside Mode!"

Like i said before, my point was about the reaction. Yes, the feature has been on Blackberry for years with little to no marketing. Like I said, a lot of BB users didn't even know about it. But now that Apple has released it as a new feature, I thought the response form iPhone users was interesting. Thats it.

Calm down.
    06-14-12 04:27 PM
    Like i said before, my point was about the reaction.
    Was there actually a reaction to this feature? The only place I've seen it mentioned is here and my reaction is the same as I had when the bb got it, sorta pointless.
    06-14-12 05:56 PM
    Was there actually a reaction to this feature? The only place I've seen it mentioned is here and my reaction is the same as I had when the bb got it, sorta pointless.

Yes.

Twitter, the comments of the article I posted, and other tech sites.

Bedside mode has been praised as an underrated feature by many people on here.

06-14-12 06:04 PM
    Omg! I never said you shouldnt be excited. The title of the thread is "So iPhone users will finally get a taste of Blackberry's Bedside Mode!"

Like i said before, my point was about the reaction. Yes, the feature has been on Blackberry for years with little to no marketing. Like I said, a lot of BB users didn't even know about it. But now that Apple has released it as a new feature, I thought the response form iPhone users was interesting. Thats it.

Calm down.
    I'm calm, it's just that people's reaction when something new comes to iPhone that has been on another platform for longer and people are like "why are you getting excited.. BB/Android/iPhone has had that feature forever.."

coming from a BB, i've learned to accept that not all the features that I was accustomed to on the BB are on the iPhone.. but really, there aren't that many..
    06-14-12 11:44 PM

BlackBerry does the white list.. its called "Level 1". Any contact set as a Level 1 contact will come thru when they call you even when Bedside Mode or "All Alerts off" profile is active. Bedside mode is not merely a "profile switcher" as you call it. In addition to switching your profile.. It also gives you the option of what times and days of the week to be activated, dismiss clock automatically, enables you to completely turn your radio/network off or keep on, dim screen or not and disable LED or not.

The only thing it does not have is after multiple calls and to be fair.. i got enough knob heads who call multiple times only to say "whats up mate?".

Sent from my Black.. and now your girl ain't going back.
    06-17-12 04:14 AM

As for raining on Apples day, sorry but I'm not posting on iMore, and I'm sure on BB10 product announcement day and the entire time up to that point they will not show us the same courtesies as they never do.

I did however like the Macbook updates coming, unfortunately my kid going to college seems to want a Windows laptop (because it can also play more game ). I'd much rather get him a Macbook as mine and our Apple Mini's have been rock solid. The engineering in the new Macbook Pro looks amazing.
    iOS already has twitter integration. As for fb well ios fb app is crap....
    06-17-12 08:45 PM
    iOS already has twitter integration. As for fb well ios fb app is crap....
    Cannot be as bad as Android port...
    06-17-12 09:42 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD