Not clueless but the government can afford Iphones increased data because they don't have to show a loss/profit, they simply raise your taxes. The decrease in productivity with the implementation of the iphone is not their concern ether as they have no competition. And really..can a civil worker really be less efficient? The universities I already explained and since most universities have wifi on campus, that would keep the cost down. The Fortune 500 companies release a few iphones to their elite employees. Not a widespread deployment.

I wonder if there is a correlation between Iphones at companies/institutions and hybrid cars. Hybrids are too expensive for the general public. The Fortune 500 would buy a few hybrids to mislead the general public into thinking that they actually care. While the government buys the hybrids because your the one paying for it and its an ideology thing.

Just wondering.
    lol, this is an amusing analogy
    07-26-09 02:39 PM
    It's a great phone. Blackberry elitists are sometimes ridiculous.
    07-26-09 04:18 PM
    It's a toy, period. I have owned/used practically every smart phone on the market. Many of which incorporated many business funtions that are still used today, that the device doesn't have. I was an original IBM Simon user back in the day. Don't get me wrong, I know that it is used by some companies big and small, and I love this device! However, it's still missing central management, similar to BB enterprise. Until Apple builds this, the phone will not be embraced by the corporate market. Some reasons why some companies won't use it.

• The single tasking OS, crippling users in their ability to multitask
    • Single UK carrier O2--our organization if 95%+ Vodafone 2,000 devices
    • Device security/data encryption. Corporate data will be stored on these device and people lose them
    • Corporate controlled firewall required to safeguard device and users
    • Lack of CESG approval to use in government systems development of corporate applications

But the overall bottom line is, who cares that it's not a business phone. Does a smartphone have to be a business phone? Is this like law?
    Last edited by jbdale; 07-26-09 at 04:56 PM.
    07-26-09 04:52 PM
    lol, this is an amusing analogy
    Yeah i like putting things out there for whatever its worth.

I actually am a big fan of apple. I own an Imac and now an Ipod Touch.

Being in sales, messaging is what its all about and nobody does it better then BB. So I bought myself a Tour and am very happy with it. If I was in a consumer looking for a multimedia/phone device the Iphone would be my first choice.

The Iphone is not a toy, it is a media centric smartphone.
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 07-26-09 at 08:40 PM.
    07-26-09 08:32 PM
    Why would any company deploy an Iphone as a business device?

Comments above about the universities adopting the iphone makes perfect sense to me as efficiency and cost savings is really not their thing.
    As for some companies deploying them to the CEO's I can see that to, almost like a perk, but no iphones to the grunts.

To the Iphone people here including the moderator.

If you were paying for your employee's phone and data time along and of course their regular wages, do you honestly believe you would go the iphone route?

More data useage, lower productivity because of the media aspects/gaming, not as efficient messaging and message notification. Battery life and no free BBM.

The Iphone fits some business models I'm sure, but not as well as BB fits most business models.

I'm not slamming the Iphone as I think its a great device.
    Just don't tell me its better for business because it isn't.

JMHO

You do know that you can lock out pretty much all the features of the iPhone on the device, as well as remotely right? It can be done using Exchange2007, as well as on the device itself. You can lock out safari, youtube, itunes, installing apps, camera as well as GPS. You can also lock content based on age, etc..
    07-26-09 10:24 PM
    It's a toy, period. I have owned/used practically every smart phone on the market. Many of which incorporated many business funtions that are still used today, that the device doesn't have. I was an original IBM Simon user back in the day. Don't get me wrong, I know that it is used by some companies big and small, and I love this device! However, it's still missing central management, similar to BB enterprise. Until Apple builds this, the phone will not be embraced by the corporate market. Some reasons why some companies won't use it.

� The single tasking OS, crippling users in their ability to multitask
    � Single UK carrier O2--our organization if 95%+ Vodafone 2,000 devices
    � Device security/data encryption. Corporate data will be stored on these device and people lose them
    � Corporate controlled firewall required to safeguard device and users
    � Lack of CESG approval to use in government systems development of corporate applications

But the overall bottom line is, who cares that it's not a business phone. Does a smartphone have to be a business phone? Is this like law?

While I do agree with you on the single tasking OS, I don't agree that it's a toy. If you believe it's a toy, then we need to classify EVERY SINGLE TOUCHSCREEN device a toy, including the 140+ million Windows Mobile devices, which, if you didn't know, has the same corporate security of those 140+ million Windows Mobile devices because it uses Active Sync.. and last time I heard, those were business devices no?
    07-26-09 10:28 PM
    According to Apple, 20 percent of the Fortune 100 have bought 10 000 or more units each of the iPhone
    Telling others how wonderful you are is always most effective when others do it for you. The tune sings flat when you do it yourself.

And Apple citing numbers to their benefit is hardly credible.

some want us to believe that no company wants to deploy the iPhone.
    I used to work for one of the biggest Fortune 500 guys out there and their IT department wouldn't touch the iPhone with a 10-foot pole. Security and practicality.

The iPhone is a toy. Totally a toy.

Now before you come back and attack the messenger here. I've used PCs for years. My next computer will be a Mac. Why? It's a better device. I'm sick of Bill Gates' cheap/lousy hackware. I want something that is reliable and well designed. Apple's Mac products are georgeous. Plus there are 100 other reasons why they are a better product than anything Bill Gates has anything to do with.

But the iPhone? It's still a toy that allows you to make cell phone calls on only one authorized carrier. It's a toy.
    07-26-09 11:18 PM
    some want us to believe that no company wants to deploy the iPhone. This is a phone that just went on a sale 2 years ago
    By the way, it wasn't THAT long ago that BlackBerry had a LOT of baggage. nerd's phone, something only a geek would be seen dead with, etc.

BlackBerry made it through their growth spurt and emerged into the marketplace as a serious device for serious people in business, tech and consumer life.

The iPhone could well do the same. But as for today, the thing is just a toy.
    07-27-09 12:06 AM
    It's a toy..but a very fun and functional one.
    07-27-09 12:36 AM
    By the way, it wasn't THAT long ago that BlackBerry had a LOT of baggage. nerd's phone, something only a geek would be seen dead with, etc.

BlackBerry made it through their growth spurt and emerged into the marketplace as a serious device for serious people in business, tech and consumer life.

The iPhone could well do the same. But as for today, the thing is just a toy.
    You may have this mixed up with windows mobile. BlackBerry was corporate all the way, not a nerd's device. All it did was message on the go. "Important people" had them is what society felt.
    07-27-09 03:46 AM
    I used to work for one of the biggest Fortune 500 guys out there and their IT department wouldn't touch the iPhone with a 10-foot pole. Security and practicality.
    Which company?
    07-27-09 03:47 AM
    You do know that you can lock out pretty much all the features of the iPhone on the device, as well as remotely right? It can be done using Exchange2007, as well as on the device itself. You can lock out safari, youtube, itunes, installing apps, camera as well as GPS. You can also lock content based on age, etc..
    If you lock out all those features then why buy the Iphone ?

There are better cheaper options for a messaging device. (hint BB)
    07-27-09 05:53 AM
    Telling others how wonderful you are is always most effective when others do it for you. The tune sings flat when you do it yourself.

And Apple citing numbers to their benefit is hardly credible.

The iPhone is a toy. Totally a toy.

Now before you come back and attack the messenger here. I've used PCs for years. My next computer will be a Mac. Why? It's a better device. I'm sick of Bill Gates' cheap/lousy hackware. I want something that is reliable and well designed. Apple's Mac products are georgeous. Plus there are 100 other reasons why they are a better product than anything Bill Gates has anything to do with.

But the iPhone? It's still a toy that allows you to make cell phone calls on only one authorized carrier. It's a toy.
    Oh so now Apple is not credible? LOL, I guess we should believe your personal anecdote than executives at Apple who are mandated to give out correct information by law. You do know they were at a conference call where an analyst ask them how well they were do in the enterprise. I would rather believe Apple executives than a random dude on the net.
    07-27-09 06:49 AM
    then we need to classify EVERY SINGLE TOUCHSCREEN device a toy
    Ok, you go first!. But, thats kind of a stretch considering the technology is growing into every aspect of our lives. It's hard to go anywhere these days without using or seeing a touchscreen.

including the 140+ million Windows Mobile devices, which, if you didn't know, has the same corporate security of those 140+ million Windows Mobile devices because it uses Active Sync.. and last time I heard, those were business devices no?
    Agreed, but what does that have to do with the iPhone?
    07-27-09 08:04 AM
    Better OS, better hardware.. I can keep going.
    07-27-09 08:54 AM
    Quite honestly, comparing a BB and iPhone is comparing apples to oranges. Which is why I find these pissing contests to be very amusing. It's a fact that the BB platform is the best there is for messaging and security. It's also a fact that the most innovative applications and accessories are made for the iPhone. So you get one or the other based on need. Personally I'm switching to iPhone because my need doesn't require a BB...namely, I find the BB boring for everything outside of push e-mail and BB Messenger. But if I was an owner of a firm which needed all of my employees connected to e-mail at all times and have it instantaneously, I'm choosing BB. And incidentally, calling the iPhone a toy is a silly way to validate your BB use; the iPhone is probably the most sophisticated phone in the marketplace.
    07-27-09 09:10 AM
    ^ +1

Exactly my point.
    Like i said earlier the Iphone is not a toy, its a media centric smartphone.
    I would have liked to buy an Iphone (I'm a bit of a gadget guy) but the BB better suited to my business needs.

Entertainment72 said

Better OS, better hardware.. I can keep going.

^ not for messaging guy so you can keep going.
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 07-27-09 at 09:31 AM.
    07-27-09 09:27 AM
    Ok, you go first!. But, thats kind of a stretch considering the technology is growing into every aspect of our lives. It's hard to go anywhere these days without using or seeing a touchscreen.

Agreed, but what does that have to do with the iPhone?
    People always give the iPhone grief because it's wildly successful.

Most of the features on the iPhone have been available on Windows Mobile in some way shape or form, yet we don't hear people daily bashing Windows Mobile devices.

If we classify the iPhone as a toy, we need to classify the "business devices" such as Windows Mobile a toy also, because last time I used a touchscreen WinMo device, it played 3D games really well, did GPS mapping, and had alot of other useless apps that the iPhone is being classified a toy over.

Fact of the matter is, people need to stop calling the iPhone a toy. It's a phone that has alot of "fun" factored into it. It has a business/educational use as well as fart apps..

Since the OS is based on OSX, should we call all of the Apple PC's a toy?
    07-27-09 09:30 AM

There are better cheaper options for a messaging device. (hint BB)
    Well, let's say you're company is designing an app for the iPhone to increase productivity in the field. Perhaps an inventory taking app? or something that maps your routes and includes GPS coordinates.. simply put, the iPhone is easier to develop for and includes alot of the basic securitys/functionalities that the BB's do.
    07-27-09 09:35 AM
    People always give the iPhone grief because it's wildly successful.

Most of the features on the iPhone have been available on Windows Mobile in some way shape or form, yet we don't hear people daily bashing Windows Mobile devices.

If we classify the iPhone as a toy, we need to classify the "business devices" such as Windows Mobile a toy also, because last time I used a touchscreen WinMo device, it played 3D games really well, did GPS mapping, and had alot of other useless apps that the iPhone is being classified a toy over.

Fact of the matter is, people need to stop calling the iPhone a toy. It's a phone that has alot of "fun" factored into it. It has a business/educational use as well as fart apps..

Since the OS is based on OSX, should we call all of the Apple PC's a toy?

I guess I refer to it as a Toy, because the BB is for work. I got a secondary device for everything outside of work. Having been a smartphone user for quite some time, and the understanding of winmo like you stated, the iPhone is definately geared more towards the entertainment side of mobile devices. I don't and would not consider using it as a business device for the obvious reasons. People want to debate this, but consider that Apple's target is not corporate America. And there is nothing wrong with that. People who have BB's complain about the graphics and games. All I have to say is, if that's what you want in a mobile device, you are not going to get this in a BB. RIM did not create BB for the "fun" factor that the iPhone has. RIM's objective was never to create a device to compete with the iPhone. The media and members here have spun that round and round. RIM and BB wanted a business phone that incorporated a device with a fair amount of both. IMO, I believe they met this objective.
    07-27-09 11:42 AM
    I agree to agree with your agreement.
    07-27-09 12:33 PM
    LOL, I guess we should believe your personal anecdote than executives at Apple who are mandated to give out correct information by law. You do know they were at a conference call where an analyst ask them how well they were do in the enterprise.
    LOL, LOL, LOL.

Please tell us where you've been the last several years when GM, Ford and Chrysler's corporate executives were worrying about the law when they gave analysts their sales projection numbers.

HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAAAA.

As I said, telling others how wonderful you are is always most effective when others do it for you. Apple's execs are PAID to be optimistic and paint their products in the very best light possible. If you don't know that, there's little reason to continue a dialogue.
    07-27-09 12:52 PM
    You may have this mixed up with windows mobile. BlackBerry was corporate all the way, not a nerd's device. All it did was message on the go. "Important people" had them is what society felt.
    You may never have worked in the Silicon Valley or spent much time there. I went to school there, worked there and spent a ton of time there.

Try calling guys over in the Silicon Valley "corporate" and see how fast you get laughed out of a room.
    07-27-09 12:56 PM
    LOL, LOL, LOL.

Please tell us where you've been the last several years when GM, Ford and Chrysler's corporate executives were worrying about the law when they gave analysts their sales projection numbers.

HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAAAA.

As I said, telling others how wonderful you are is always most effective when others do it for you. Apple's execs are PAID to be optimistic and paint their products in the very best light possible. If you don't know that, there's little reason to continue a dialogue.
    Yes Apple executives where being optimistic when they said they have sold 5.2 million iphones, also when they announced they have 30 billion in the bank with debt. All those companies ordering iphones is all optimism, lol.
    07-27-09 07:48 PM
    Yes Apple executives where being optimistic when they said they have sold 5.2 million iphones, also when they announced they have 30 billion in the bank with debt. All those companies ordering iphones is all optimism, lol.

There's no discussion with you. Anything anyone says about Apple at Apple is sacrosanct. Any possible dissenting opinion must be thoroughly discounted and completely dismissed and squashed.

Kool Aid drinking at it's Apple best!

BTW, Apple isn't the only one holding press conferences. Many of the other toy manufacturers are doing quite well too these days.

Original article here --> Mattel up on earnings news, but its Barbie toys need help - BloggingStocks

Mattel up on earnings news, but its Barbie toys need help

Posted Jul 17th 2009 5:40PM by Steven Mallas

Filed under: Earnings reports, Mattel, Inc (MAT), Hasbro Inc (HAS)

Mattel, Inc. (NYSE: MAT) is all about fun and games, but it doesn't play around when it competes against Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS) and JAKKS Pacific (NASDAQ: JAKK). In fact, the stock is up over 7% today as of this writing on the toy manufacturer's earnings news. According to Reuters, Mattel made 6 cents per share during the second quarter, beating estimates by a whopping five pennies.
    07-27-09 08:34 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD