According to Apple, 20 percent of the Fortune 100 have bought 10 000 or more units each of the iPhone but yet some want us to believe that no company wants to deploy the iPhone. This is a phone that just went on a sale 2 years ago from a company that has never made phones but yet it's gaining so much traction.
    07-22-09 09:05 AM
    pretty good numbers if u look at it like that, im curious what percent blackberry is
    Last edited by peterr22; 07-22-09 at 09:41 AM.
    07-22-09 09:19 AM
    And between where did you get your numbers...I work for one of those fortunes and unfortunately my company doesn't lets this toy be used
    07-22-09 09:38 AM
    Most Fortune 500 companies will not let the iPhone be implemented because it will increase productivity by that same 20 percent who do use them.
    07-22-09 09:45 AM
    And between where did you get your numbers...I work for one of those fortunes and unfortunately my company doesn't lets this toy be used
    From Apple yesterday during their conference call.
    07-22-09 09:53 AM
    Hopefully the rest of the forums see this, tired of hearing people say the iPhone isn't a good business device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 10:12 AM
    Many of the senior management at my company have switched from BB to iPhone including the CEO. I have to admit that the iPhone OS is pretty cool, viewing attachments is far easier.

I love my Curve but if the iPhone was available on my carrier, I'd consider it the next time I upgrade my phone. RIM really has to develop a fast, high performance device.

07-22-09 10:23 AM
    My company is dropping support for BB for everyone below manager level this year, and everyone else next year. So i'll have to give up my Curve in 2010. We can use iPHone, WIMO, or Android. We can't even use the Palm Pre because it doesn't support exchange pin enforcement. I know of several other large companies doing this also.

The iPhone has ActiveSync and this is the game changer. ActiveSync directly integrates with Exchange and now Lotus Notes supports it as well. Through ActiveSync we get almost full wireless PIM integration, wirelessly syncing email with subfolders, calendar and contacts plus no file size limits. The only important thing missing is syncing tasks and that is coming fairly soon.

ActiveSync supports remote wipe, information encryption and Exchange security policies including pin enforcement. It has everything you need for secure information management.

Even before I got an iPhone, I was tired of hearing the "iPhone is a toy" garbage over and over again, they just don't have any other argument.....
    07-22-09 10:40 AM
    With Exchange 2007, you get even more security. You get the ability to lock features from the device such as gps, camera, app installs, etc..

And, unlike Windows Mobile which requires Exchange 2007 for HTML email, you get HTML email out of the box on the iPhone regardless if you're on Exchange 03 or 07.
    07-22-09 10:52 AM
    I think this is a good thing. I think as they start to break this market more, it'll give them more push to continue working on their e-mail support. Once they tweak a few things, the crap talkers will no able to call it a TOY. I find if funny, because if the iPhone is a toy, then so are all Smartphone users. In my humble opinion.
    07-22-09 12:00 PM
    I don't think it's a toy, but I do think that they need to work on their email support and interface if they were to be on top. Also interesting is that both RIM and Apple are gaining more maketshare...

07-22-09 02:00 PM
    Our university president switched from a Blackberry Curve to an iPhone 3G, now he has the 3G S. We have over 16,000 people enrolled in our university and most of his staff uses iPhones now. Of course, I know because I'm a student worker for him, and I urge them to get iPhones. I must say, my presentation was pretty darn good to make them make the switch. He LOVES his iPhone now, and so does the staff. One particular thing he stated that he loved was the HTML e-mail. He said it renders beautifully on the iPhone.

P.S.: It funny because last year, after I sold my 2G iPhone, I got a Blackberry Curve, and me and him both had the same phone, then shortly after we switched to the 3G iPhone together, and just recently the 3G S. We seem to keep ending up with the same phones.
    Last edited by nfl46; 07-22-09 at 02:17 PM.
    07-22-09 02:13 PM
    They also said many corporations and governments have ordered 25,000 units.
    07-22-09 10:50 PM
    A lot of companies are actually going the iPhone route, most of which armedtank and sniffs mentioned. There are are a lot more reasons, but those were some big points. The app installs being blocked is very big. Being able to control that aspect is definitely turning a lot of heads.
    07-23-09 01:08 AM
    A lot of companies are actually going the iPhone route, most of which armedtank and sniffs mentioned. There are are a lot more reasons, but those were some big points. The app installs being blocked is very big. Being able to control that aspect is definitely turning a lot of heads.

Good point. never thought of that...

Doesn't that negate the biggest advantage of the iPhone though (i.e the customization factor)?
    07-23-09 01:30 AM
    good to hear. Maybe finally the iphone will get the respect it deserves and stop being called a toy which it is far from
    07-23-09 05:45 AM
    Hopefully it comes to Verizon soon. I'd love to get one but AT&T doesn't cover the rural area where my mother lives in VA.
    07-23-09 07:28 AM
    Actual iPhone users know it's not just a toy, but a lot of that stigma is generated from the advertisement by apple and AT&T. In the advertisements, they mostly focus on just the apps and the "cool" things that you can do, rather than focus on the productive things that can be done as well. Of course they have some commericals that show productivity, but the majority is the "fun" stuff. But hey, I'm cool with that because I have used it for myself and know the productivity I can get out of it. It's the people who have played around with one in an Apple store or with their girlfriend's iPhone are the ones that say it's just a toy. They have no real experience with it, so I don't really care about their biased opinion. In my book, Perception is not always reality.
    07-23-09 01:31 PM
    Good point. never thought of that...

Doesn't that negate the biggest advantage of the iPhone though (i.e the customization factor)?
    Keep in mind, this is business... They will allow company apps (if they have any) and no others. As a business owner, you wouldn't want your employees playing "PaperToss" or "3D BrickBreaker" all day.

Something I find funny is that the iPhone gets called a toy, but a lot of the other platforms come with games pre-installed.
    07-23-09 03:53 PM
    The Blackberry, every single one since it's inception, has had a game pre-installed.

The iPhone on the other hand, hasnt.. that's a very good observation.
    07-23-09 03:58 PM
    Keep in mind, this is business... They will allow company apps (if they have any) and no others. As a business owner, you wouldn't want your employees playing "PaperToss" or "3D BrickBreaker" all day.

Something I find funny is that the iPhone gets called a toy, but a lot of the other platforms come with games pre-installed.
    I can concede that point as well.

I am thinking of business helper apps.

The biggest point will be security. As far as I am concerned, the iPhone is FINALLY a worthy competitor, and I am considering it. That is saying a lot..
    07-23-09 04:14 PM
    Why would any company deploy an Iphone as a business device?

Comments above about the universities adopting the iphone makes perfect sense to me as efficiency and cost savings is really not their thing.
    As for some companies deploying them to the CEO's I can see that to, almost like a perk, but no iphones to the grunts.

To the Iphone people here including the moderator.

If you were paying for your employee's phone and data time along and of course their regular wages, do you honestly believe you would go the iphone route?

More data useage, lower productivity because of the media aspects/gaming, not as efficient messaging and message notification. Battery life and no free BBM.

The Iphone fits some business models I'm sure, but not as well as BB fits most business models.

I'm not slamming the Iphone as I think its a great device.
    Just don't tell me its better for business because it isn't.

JMHO
    07-26-09 09:15 AM
    Why would any company deploy an Iphone as a business device?

Comments above about the universities adopting the iphone makes perfect sense to me as efficiency and cost savings is really not their thing.
    As for some companies deploying them to the CEO's I can see that to, almost like a perk, but no iphones to the grunts.

To the Iphone people here including the moderator.

If you were paying for your employee's phone and data time along and of course their regular wages, do you honestly believe you would go the iphone route?

More data useage, lower productivity because of the media aspects/gaming, not as efficient messaging and message notification. Battery life and no free BBM.

The Iphone fits some business models I'm sure, but not as well as BB fits most business models.

I'm not slamming the Iphone as I think its a great device.
    Just don't tell me its better for business because it isn't.

JMHO
    All of this is your opinion. I'm sure all those Fortune 100 companies, universites, and government organizations deploying all those iphones aren't that clueless.
    07-26-09 11:16 AM
    All of this is your opinion. I'm sure all those Fortune 100 companies, universites, and government organizations deploying all those iphones aren't that clueless.

Not clueless but the government can afford Iphones increased data because they don't have to show a loss/profit, they simply raise your taxes. The decrease in productivity with the implementation of the iphone is not their concern ether as they have no competition. And really..can a civil worker really be less efficient? The universities I already explained and since most universities have wifi on campus, that would keep the cost down. The Fortune 500 companies release a few iphones to their elite employees. Not a widespread deployment.

I wonder if there is a correlation between Iphones at companies/institutions and hybrid cars. Hybrids are too expensive for the general public. The Fortune 500 would buy a few hybrids to mislead the general public into thinking that they actually care. While the government buys the hybrids because your the one paying for it and its an ideology thing.

Just wondering.
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 07-26-09 at 01:05 PM.
    07-26-09 01:02 PM
    Not clueless but the government can afford Iphones increased data because they don't have to show a loss/profit, they simply raise your taxes. The decrease in productivity with the implementation of the iphone is not their concern ether as they have no competition. And really..can a civil worker really be less efficient? The universities I already explained and since most universities have wifi on campus, that would keep the cost down. The Fortune 500 companies release a few iphones to their elite employees. Not a widespread deployment.

I wonder if there is a correlation between Iphones at companies/institutions and hybrid cars. Hybrids are too expensive for the general public. The Fortune 500 would buy a few hybrids to mislead the general public into thinking that they actually care. While the government buys the hybrids because your the one paying for it and its an ideology thing.

Just wondering.
    So 10 000 to 25 000 units each is a "few" units?
    07-26-09 02:04 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD