Here is some of my dealings with it...

1. The monthly bill was ridiculous. for 450 min, unlimtd texts and web = 114.00 per month. That included a LEO discount. (I was with sprint and was paying 70.00 per month for unlimtd everything except 450 min for landlines and insurance)

2. The battery life was HORRIFIC. 5 hrs at most. Whats the point of having a phone/web browser that only lasts 5 hrs.

3. The apps are so overpriced. I am glad I had some gift cards.

4. Internal battery sucks.

5. The fact that you can be on a call and browse the web at the same time is awesome. I loved that fact.

End result...

I ended up going back to sprint. The iPhone is a great device but with that being said... There are a lot of cons that made me switch back to my BB. When the 9650 arrives I will be able to do almost as much as I did with the iPhone. Apple and AT&T need to be more reasonable with their monthly charges. Its just so overpriced.

BB wins.

Just my opinion and my experience. Thanks for listening.
    The only thing in this post concerning the iPhone you seemed to have a problem with was the battery which is understandable but everything else was the carrier and you not doing enough to find deals. Look up toktumi you could have been paying 30 bucks a month for your iPhone (just sayin). Also the whole app spill. That's just comical the iPhone app store is expensive compared to Blackberry which is already known as the most expensive app store out of them all. WOW! If you hate At&t that's one thing but to try and throw the iPhone in with it because you didn't want to do your research is another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 07:35 PM
    I think everyone should pick the phone they want and carrier they want and all that good stuff. I have a 9700 on T-Mobile. I don't really have a team spirit thing about my phone or carrier, but I do currently love both which is why I have them. I am only posting because stuaw11 keeps posting rates for TMO that don't make sense to me. I pay 79.99 a month for unlimited everything.
    04-30-10 07:42 PM
    Right. I don't know why it's so hard to admit that owning an iPhone is more expensive.
    04-30-10 07:55 PM
    Right. I don't know why it's so hard to admit that owning an iPhone is more expensive.
    stop, your really hurting yourself here. Its not phone its the carrier, enough with the shenanigans already; its just getting sad.
    04-30-10 08:23 PM
    stop, your really hurting yourself here. Its not phone its the carrier, enough with the shenanigans already; its just getting sad.
    The carrier is inseparable from the device because of the exclusivity. That's the whole point. You can't just say the iPhone is great, it's just the network and plan that sucks.
    04-30-10 08:28 PM
    The point about Apple app store apps being ridiculously expensive is hilarious considering BB apps are so much more $$$$ let alone the selection sucks so it seems like every app is expensive..
    04-30-10 10:47 PM
    The carrier is inseparable from the device because of the exclusivity. That's the whole point. You can't just say the iPhone is great, it's just the network and plan that sucks.
    Exactly what I was going to say. You have to include the carrier when talking about the iPhone because of the exclusivity. Unless, of course, you're going to unlock it for T-Mobile. Although that would mean paying a lot more for an iPhone from eBay and you wouldn't even be able to get 3G.
    04-30-10 11:31 PM
    I dont see what all the crying is for. There are plenty of phones that are exclusive to their carriers in the US- Hero, MyTouch, Droid, Evo, iphone, HD2, Bold 9000, etc etc.

I dont see anyone crying about those phones- that you have to pay $90/month to use a Droid or $90/month to use a HD2. But of course when its the iphone its easier just to b*tch and moan. Your personal carrier isnt exempt any more than ATT in these practices having exclusives and charging the same monthly rate for it.

YOU SHOULD RESEARCH THE CARRIER BEFORE BUYING INTO THEIR EXCLUSIVE PHONE, NO MATTER WHAT PHONE. PERIOD. THEIR PRICES ARENT HIDDEN.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-30-10 at 11:48 PM.
    04-30-10 11:41 PM
    because it isn't its actually cheaper thanks to the app store. I personally paid 69.00 for unlimited everything. because of the app store. the Toktumi app along with google/voice allowed to to call and text for 15 bucks a month using att's 3G, to make calls and call over wifi. So its expensive because people choose to pay that money instead of using the resources given to them.
    04-30-10 11:48 PM
    because it isn't its actually cheaper thanks to the app store. I personally paid 69.00 for unlimited everything. because of the app store. the Toktumi app along with google/voice allowed to to call and text for 15 bucks a month using att's 3G, to make calls and call over wifi. So its expensive because people choose to pay that money instead of using the resources given to them.
    Good point. Google Voice+TextNow for me for free unlimited texting for a whole $4 for a 1 year license or $8 lifetime license. Looks/works to the end user just nearly like the stock SMS app that you get a push notification for a SMS.

Total Bill $70 (only $72 after tax for me b/c of FAN) for 450 min, data, and unlimited texts.

Saving $20x24 over the life of the 2 year contract, so $480 savings. The price of the iphone is moot at that point.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-30-10 at 11:55 PM.
    04-30-10 11:50 PM
    Good point. Google Voice+TextNow for me for free unlimited texting for a whole $4 for a 1 year license or $8 lifetime license.

Total Bill $70 (only $72 after tax for me b/c of FAN) for 450 min, data, and unlimited texts.
    exactly and i use toktumi for unlimited calling. its not expensive at all my bill would never be this cheap on any other carrier with 3G capabilities still on my iPhone. people just don't do their research.
    04-30-10 11:54 PM
    I dont see what all the crying is for. There are plenty of phones that are exclusive to their carriers in the US- Hero, MyTouch, Droid, Evo, iphone, HD2, Bold 9000, etc etc.
    I'm sorry I can't stop laughing. Up here in the great white north at least five carriers have the iPhone, three have the Storm, and all (except for prepaid/cheap carriers) have one flavour or another of every Blackberry.
    Tho the android devices have a lot of exclusivity, all of the big three have at least one good one (Bell=Galaxy (old) Telus=MOTO Backflip Rogers=Galaxy Spica)
    Last edited by grahamf; 05-01-10 at 12:15 AM.
    05-01-10 12:12 AM
    I'm sorry I can't stop laughing. Up here in the great white north at least five carriers have the iPhone, three have the Storm, and all (except for prepaid/cheap carriers) have one flavour or another of every Blackberry.
    Tho the android devices have a lot of exclusivity, all of the big three have at least one good one (Bell=Galaxy (old) Telus=MOTO Backflip Rogers=Galaxy Spica)
    Well every carrier here has at least 1 Android device too. The point was more you cant get the same model on another carrier.

But people here would rather argue over semantics of getting a phone online fro some 3rd party retailer vs comparing retail prices through the carrier which are all nearly similar.

If they want to argue semantics about saving $170 from a 3rd party online retailer, then I guess Ill argue semantics that I get free unlimited texting and this almost saves 2 times what they saved even after paying for the iphone.

So its all a moot argument in the end and just more childish bickering over something stupid because everyone has their own money saving hints/tricks. If you dont want to pay for an iphone then dont freakin buy one, there's no ifs ands of buts about it. There are too many factors for there to be only one right way. Its just more anti-Apple people making excuses not to buy one.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-01-10 at 12:35 AM.
    05-01-10 12:21 AM
    I'm beginning to think your just responding to argue. The iphone is the same price as all other smartphones on att and your singling it out as the highest priced one. Well I might aswell state the Droid is the most expensive smartphone in the us, afterall; Verizon has the highest bills, etfs and addons. I don't care about the incredible, eris or storm; its the droid I choose for no other reason just for this arguements sake
    Last edited by spawn026; 05-01-10 at 05:22 AM.
    05-01-10 05:14 AM
    Right, all kinds of ways for bypassing carrier plans can be found on any platform. But there is no way to separate AT&T from the iPhone. For anyone in the SF bay area and NYC the iPhone is a horrible device, it doesn't matter how good it is in theory.

Even though it's AT&T's network, because of the exclusivity, it's part of the iPhone experience. No choice about it. It's pointless to adore the iPhone and say "if only it wasn't on AT&T!�. We are buying a device with service, not the idea of a device in a neat demo. How it works in the real world in what you pay for.

So stuaw11 blaming of AT&T is a red herring because of the exclusivity.

05-01-10 12:46 PM
    The ISSUE IS you claim because YOU (and far from everyone) got the 9700 for free that its cheaper in the long run and a few people have countered they have iphone apps (which like your claim is a minority view) which save them money on service even after the iphone price. So its a wash in the 2 year run towards pricing.

In the alternative the carrier prices of the 9700 match the iphone price as does their voice and data- same cost roughly overall.

If you have no good rebuttle then just concede instead of twisting the topic yet again from the OP's statement about PRICE into a carrier QUALITY war. Quit while youre ahead because youre looking foolish now contorting the issue when you cant rebut the statements made.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-01-10 at 12:53 PM.
    05-01-10 12:48 PM
    You still haven't justified your blaming of AT&T when the OP complains about the iPhone. You can't blame AT&T for anything as long as they have exclusivity with Apple. The exclusivity is paying the real cost of the device.

05-01-10 12:50 PM
    O just stop already you have no idea what youre even arguing anymore. This is about PRICE (need it larger to get through your thick skull?) between carriers, try sticking to the topic instead of yet again contorting the issue to your personal preference on carriers which this thread isnt about.

Tmo- Free 9700, $40 voice, $30 data, $10 texts, over 2 years= $80*24 = 1920
    Tmo- 9700 $179 "................................................. ........."= 179+(80*24)= 2099

ATT- 9700 $199 "........................." $20 texts, over 2 years = 199+(90*24)=2359
    ATT- iphone $199"........................" free texts with Google Voice = 199+(70*24)= 1879

Theres the facts, stick to them that its CAN in fact cheaper to own an iphone if you use the apps and resources to own an iphone over 2 years even paying for the device up front whether you get a free phone on another carrier or not. Thats IRRELEVANT for EVERYONE.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-01-10 at 01:01 PM.
    05-01-10 12:54 PM
    I love the stay on topic defense.

05-01-10 12:56 PM
    You mean since you cant stay on the topic set forth and have contorted a pricing issue into your little whiny ATT exclusivity and I hate ATT crusade?

Shocker yet again from you that you cant stay on the topic presented by the OP when you cant win it.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-01-10 at 01:06 PM.
    05-01-10 01:02 PM
    No the topic is your attempt to deflect blame to AT&T. You can't blame AT&T for anything because an iPhone is an AT&T phone. There is no iPhone the ideal device separately from AT&T. Every downside you blame on AT&T has been agreed to by Apple so it can get paid for the device.

When we discuss devices we cannot separate AT&T from the iPhone, all downsides must be accounted for because of the exclusivity. We can end the debate anytime you want to acknowledge this reality.

05-01-10 01:09 PM
    If apple considers the 4g iteration, to go beyond AT and T, I will take a hard look at it. And as long as android keeps screaming into the future, it better be the sickest phone ever for me to switch to it. I am excited to see it though, because I love ALL gadgets apple has reiterated how great AT and T have been for them, and quite frankly, they are right, but Apple has been way better for AT and T, by giving the once dying cellular company LIFE! And a ton of new contracts! Can blame really be put on such a successful partnership? As far as I read, people love their service, and their iPhones. Happy day all.
    05-01-10 03:01 PM
    Tmo- Free 9700, $40 voice, $30 data, $10 texts, over 2 years= $80*24 = 1920
    Tmo- 9700 $179 "................................................. ........."= 179+(80*24)= 2099

ATT- 9700 $199 "........................." $20 texts, over 2 years = 199+(90*24)=2359
    ATT- iphone $199"........................" free texts with Google Voice = 199+(70*24)= 1879
    I missed this part (will you stop editing every post you make?)

Are you using Google Voice on the iPhone with that clunky web UI? Do you have to give out a GV number to people? Few people give out GV numbers. I have GV but because of caller ID problems I don't use it.

Not a practical voice alternative for regular calls. Cool hack though.

05-01-10 03:51 PM
    I missed this part (will you stop editing every post you make?)

Are you using Google Voice on the iPhone with that clunky web UI? Do you have to give out a GV number to people? Few people give out GV numbers. I have GV but because of caller ID problems I don't use it.

Not a practical voice alternative for regular calls. Cool hack though.

If you ready closely I already said its routed through TextNow which acts just like the iphone SMS app, its transparent. The whole point of having GV is you give them one number to reach you, the GV number, and not your home/cell number you want to keep private.

The point of that was its not practical all people buy their phones through Amazon for free either, just because there IS a workaround to save money DOESNT mean that the majority of the people use it as you suggest.

So therefore, the smartphones roughly cost the same at $200 through the carrier- exclusive (iphone, Droid, Evo, Incredible, etc), not exclusive (9700), it doesnt matter.. Its a wash (roughly) for price.

Plans cost exactly the same between ATT and VZW, and Tmo is only $10/month cheaper b/c unlim texting is $10 cheaper. SO BACK ON TOPIC, the reason Sprint is so much cheaper than the 3 is that they have to be because theyre bleeding customers.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-01-10 at 05:14 PM.
    05-01-10 05:10 PM
    If you ready closely I already said its routed through TextNow which acts just like the iphone SMS app, its transparent. The whole point of having GV is you give them one number to reach you, the GV number, and not your home/cell number you want to keep private.

The point of that was its not practical all people buy their phones through Amazon for free either, just because there IS a workaround to save money DOESNT mean that the majority of the people use it as you suggest.

So therefore, the smartphones roughly cost the same at $200 through the carrier- exclusive (iphone, Droid, Evo, Incredible, etc), not exclusive (9700), it doesnt matter.. Its a wash (roughly) for price.

Plans cost exactly the same between ATT and VZW, and Tmo is only $10/month cheaper b/c unlim texting is $10 cheaper. SO BACK ON TOPIC, the reason Sprint is so much cheaper than the 3 is that they have to be because theyre bleeding customers.
    Again, you have choice with other devices, you can buy them where they cost the least, even on AT&T. A lot of people buy phones online rather than walk into stores and pay retail.
    05-01-10 05:17 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD