05-01-10 05:29 PM
78 1234
tools
    Hmmmmmmm I would have known about how much monthly costs were going to be BEFORE I purchased the phone. Maybe that's just me. Also AT&T pricing is right in line with Verizon because that is their main competition. There's a reason why TMO and Sprint plans are so cheap...... trying to get customers.

And you're right about the battery although the 3GS battery has been decent but any media-heavy phone have shorter battery life. Blackberries last all day because they aren't doing anything and it's not data heavy. Everything is compressed. But you pick up an iPhone, Droid, Nexus one, Incredible, they all have poor battery lives compared to blackberry. Once again, research should have help you there.

Did you say overpriced apps? Seriously? Blackberry Appworld has so many overpriced and garbage apps it doesn't even make sense. You can buy the same app on the iphone cheaper and it would be better. The app store has more free apps than appworld has in total.

If blackberry wins because Sprint is cheap and battery life then you really haven't used the phone. Your first issue is with AT&T and not the iPhone and your second one isn't anything new and anyone with a data heavy phone would have told you that.

Good luck with RIM's remanufactured device of a phone that's been out for a while now
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-29-10 at 12:32 PM.
    04-29-10 12:24 PM
    I think the point of all of this is, that the iPhone costs significantly more than a BlackBerry.
    Actually a blackberry and iPhone monthly cost on AT&T is exactly the same. The issue is the carrier and not the device. The OP never commented about the price of the iPhone itself. Their gripe was with the monthly costs. Any smartphone on AT&T cost the same monthly. And that's the point. So if you own a blackberry on Sprint or TMO, yes it is cheaper than owning an iPhone on AT&T but it is also cheaper than owning a blackberry on VZW and AT&T as well. Can't compare across carriers and then try to compare cost. Gotta be consistent to be accurate.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-29-10 at 12:31 PM.
    04-29-10 12:28 PM
    Hmmmmmmm I would have known about how much monthly costs were going to be BEFORE I purchased the phone. Maybe that's just me. Also AT&T pricing is right in line with Verizon because that is their main competition. There's a reason why TMO and Sprint plans are so cheap...... trying to get customers.

And you're right about the battery although the 3GS battery has been decent but any media-heavy phone have shorter battery life. Blackberries last all day because they aren't doing anything and it's not data heavy. Everything is compressed. But you pick up an iPhone, Droid, Nexus one, Incredible, they all have poor battery lives compared to blackberry. Once again, research should have help you there.

Did you say overpriced apps? Seriously? Blackberry Appworld has so many overpriced and garbage apps it doesn't even make sense. You can buy the same app on the iphone cheaper and it would be better. The app store has more free apps than appworld has in total.

If blackberry wins because Sprint is cheap and battery life then you really haven't used the phone. Your first issue is with AT&T and not the iPhone and your second one isn't anything new and anyone with a data heavy phone would have told you that.

Good luck with RIM's remanufactured device of a phone that's been out for a while now
    Actually a blackberry and iPhone monthly cost on AT&T is exactly the same. The issue is the carrier and not the device. The OP never commented about the price of the iPhone itself. Their gripe was with the monthly costs. Any smartphone on AT&T cost the same monthly. And that's the point. So if you own a blackberry on Sprint or TMO, yes it is cheaper than owning an iPhone on AT&T but it is also cheaper than owning a blackberry on VZW and AT&T as well. Can't compare across carriers and then try to compare cost. Gotta be consistent to be accurate.
    Thank you, glad someone gets it.
    04-29-10 12:45 PM
    Unfortunately, you still don't get it. You can't separate the device from the carrier and plan.

The iPhone is locked to AT&T so Apple can charge more for it than it would be able on Verizon. And those costs are passed on to users both in higher plan rates and lower quality service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 02:37 PM
    I this what need to happen is what alot of ppl are saying! For me ther are a few MAIN issues I have to be satisfied with when I choosing a carrior & a phone! 1. Is over all, coverage! Reguardless of what the phonecan do it's still a phone! 2. That's rate plan! If the coverage is good, then the pricing is not a issue for me at least! 3. Is phone selection! I have to like the phone selection of what they have & up coming devices!

04-29-10 03:51 PM
    I think the point of all of this is, that the iPhone costs significantly more than a BlackBerry.
    Unfortunately, you still don't get it. You can't separate the device from the carrier and plan.

The iPhone is locked to AT&T so Apple can charge more for it than it would be able on Verizon. And those costs are passed on to users both in higher plan rates and lower quality service.

Here's what I think the issue is. You said the iPhone cost significantly more but that simply isn't the complete truth. If you want to talk about the cost of actually buying one at 200 bucks on top of your monthly costs (which the OP only talked about monthly costs) then you're still incorrect because everyone doesn't get a blackberry for free. You know there are some people who actually upgrade through the carrer and pay 150 or 200 bucks for a new blackberry.

So when you say an iPhone costs significantly more, that would imply that you mean regardless of your carrier that having an iPhone costs more than getting a blackberry. Well that isn't true because you have a blackberry on AT&T or VZW you are paying the same exact amount for monthly service. I'm not sure what part of that you aren't getting.

So to make a generalized statement like that you are wrong. Now if you say an iPhone is significantly higher than having a blackberry on T-MO or Sprint, I'd agree. But it's not on VZW and AT&T. Monthly plans and data are exactly the same.

Also, there's nothing wrong with AT&T service especially compared to that joke of 3G service that T-MO has. There's a reason Sprint and T-Mo are so cheap. And there's also a reason why people switch to the iPhone from one of those carriers even though the monthly costs are higher. Out of all the customers that Sprint loss last quarter that use smartphones, most probably (which is most likely) went to VZW or AT&T and will pay more per month even with a blackberry.
    04-29-10 04:35 PM
    I this what need to happen is what alot of ppl are saying! For me ther are a few MAIN issues I have to be satisfied with when I choosing a carrior & a phone! 1. Is over all, coverage! Reguardless of what the phonecan do it's still a phone! 2. That's rate plan! If the coverage is good, then the pricing is not a issue for me at least! 3. Is phone selection! I have to like the phone selection of what they have & up coming devices!

100% agreed. I'm glad I live in an area where coverage isn't an issue except for TMO 3G coverage. It's just terrible but I wouldn't go to them even if they had the best coverage LOL.
    04-29-10 04:37 PM
    Here's what I think the issue is. You said the iPhone cost significantly more but that simply isn't the complete truth. If you want to talk about the cost of actually buying one at 200 bucks on top of your monthly costs (which the OP only talked about monthly costs) then you're still incorrect because everyone doesn't get a blackberry for free. You know there are some people who actually upgrade through the carrer and pay 150 or 200 bucks for a new blackberry.

So when you say an iPhone costs significantly more, that would imply that you mean regardless of your carrier that having an iPhone costs more than getting a blackberry. Well that isn't true because you have a blackberry on AT&T or VZW you are paying the same exact amount for monthly service. I'm not sure what part of that you aren't getting.

So to make a generalized statement like that you are wrong. Now if you say an iPhone is significantly higher than having a blackberry on T-MO or Sprint, I'd agree. But it's not on VZW and AT&T. Monthly plans and data are exactly the same.

Also, there's nothing wrong with AT&T service especially compared to that joke of 3G service that T-MO has. There's a reason Sprint and T-Mo are so cheap. And there's also a reason why people switch to the iPhone from one of those carriers even though the monthly costs are higher. Out of all the customers that Sprint loss last quarter that use smartphones, most probably (which is most likely) went to VZW or AT&T and will pay more per month even with a blackberry.
    It's very simple. The only reason Apple grants exclusivity to AT&T is so AT&T share more of its revenue. That extra cost to AT&T is made up for in attracting customers who wouldn't want its service otherwise, and won't mind lousy service.

You can't love the iPhone but ignore the carrier part of the deal, which is what stuaw11 is doing.

04-29-10 05:58 PM
    It's very simple. The only reason Apple grants exclusivity to AT&T is so AT&T share more of its revenue. That extra cost to AT&T is made up for in attracting customers who wouldn't want its service otherwise, and won't mind lousy service.

You can't love the iPhone but ignore the carrier part of the deal, which is what stuaw11 is doing.

The FACTS are ATT, VZW, and Tmo ALL charge $30 for data and $40 roughly for 450-500 min. Whether ATT pays Apple or not is irrelevant since all 3 charge the same price to the customer. If your argument hypothetically held true then basically VZW and Tmo are in fact even more greedy since they keep more of the data profit and dont have to pay it out. Whether you like the iphone locked to ATT is also an irrelevant point here.

And you still ignore myself and scorpios argument that the majority of people get their phones from the carrier and theyre NOT free, theyre within $20 of each other from ATT OR Tmo (9700 vs iphone)!

And its your OPINION we pay more for lower quality service, far from a fact. In MY opinion TMo 3g coverage is a complete joke even to ATT which people rip on even though it works fine for most people outside the 1/10000 people horror story that gets the media coverage. So the extra TINY cost is justified to ME.

But thats just my opinion and not others, Im sorry you cant admit your opinion and the pricing you got on the phone doesnt hold true for everyone out there.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-29-10 at 08:07 PM.
    04-29-10 08:01 PM

might want to give the arguement up. Your topic was started with points, the points were rebuttled and when proven false you changed the meanings of your points. Iphone isn't more expensive then any blackberry plan on vz or att, your comparing att to another carrier not iphone to blackberry. Argue that, not devices
    04-29-10 08:19 PM
    might want to give the arguement up. Your topic was started with points, the points were rebuttled and when proven false you changed the meanings of your points. Iphone isn't more expensive then any blackberry plan on vz or att, your comparing att to another carrier not iphone to blackberry. Argue that, not devices
    Thank you, someone else sees these tangents Synth leads threads down to twist and warp the proven false statements seem correct.
    04-29-10 08:23 PM
    The FACTS are ATT, VZW, and Tmo ALL charge $30 for data and $40 roughly for 450-500 min. Whether ATT pays Apple or not is irrelevant since all 3 charge the same price to the customer. If your argument hypothetically held true then basically VZW and Tmo are in fact even more greedy since they keep more of the data profit and dont have to pay it out. Whether you like the iphone locked to ATT is also an irrelevant point here.
    The point is you have choice. You can pay more to be on Verizon's top quality network, or with Sprint or T-Mobile for less. With AT&T there is one choice and AT&T is notoriously awful in urban and crowded areas.

And you still ignore myself and scorpios argument that the majority of people get their phones from the carrier and theyre NOT free, theyre within $20 of each other from ATT OR Tmo (9700 vs iphone)!
    But they have a choice. I already described how I bought my 9700:

$429 contract-free from T-Mobile, with a 450 plan for $59 a month. That comes to $1845 over 2 years.

You can't match this because your device is simply more expensive. The iPhone costs more and the costs are rolled into monthly plans with a mediocre carrier.
    04-29-10 09:09 PM
    The point is you have choice. You can pay more to be on Verizon's top quality network, or with Sprint or T-Mobile for less. With AT&T there is one choice and AT&T is notoriously awful in urban and crowded areas.

But they have a choice. I already described how I bought my 9700:

$429 contract-free from T-Mobile, with a 450 plan for $59 a month. That comes to $1845 over 2 years.

You can't match this because your device is simply more expensive. The iPhone costs more and the costs are rolled into monthly plans with a mediocre carrier.
    hate to burst your bubble but your rational is moot. t-mobile is an awful provider in many areas. Regardless of how much you claim to save in 2 years the fact that you do not get the coverage of neither vzw or att doesn't justify the bills of many others. I have att, me and my wife share a family plan with 700, have 200 text and two data plans; divided by both of us its 65 a pop. She has a bold I have an iphone. Your savings compared to mine is 6 dollars and I have over 600 rollover minutes lingering. You claim to save close to two thousand dollars but my estimate is more like 144 plus the 50 more I paid for my phone so the total is 194
    Last edited by spawn026; 04-30-10 at 07:24 AM.
    04-30-10 07:19 AM
    Yeah dude is comparing an iPhone on AT&T vs a blackberry on T-Mo. Well duh. Of course the cost is higher. So would owning a Blackberry 9700 on AT&T vs a 9700 on T-Mo. They just don't get it. You have to be consistent when trying to draw parallels. And not compare when one variable is cheaper in just about all areas than the other and then try to make a point that it's the devices and not the carriers. If T-Mo were to one day get the iPhone it would cost the same monthly as maintaining a blackberry. Can't make sense out of non-sense. Good day fellas.
    04-30-10 08:18 AM
    Yeah dude is comparing an iPhone on AT&T vs a blackberry on T-Mo. Well duh. Of course the cost is higher. So would owning a Blackberry 9700 on AT&T vs a 9700 on T-Mo.
    I already said that I initially had a free AT&T 9700. So the savings were in upfront purchase price. That promotion lasted for months and there are many opportunities to get free or discounted BlackBerries. It's just cheaper to make and own.

RIM now the 4th largest phone maker Boy Genius Report

04-30-10 09:58 AM
    RIM now the 4th largest phone maker Boy Genius Report

Yay RIM rah rah rah Totally off-topic as usual promoting RIM
    04-30-10 12:26 PM
    Yay RIM rah rah rah Totally off-topic as usual promoting RIM
    Yeah well iPhone is tops in the US. Not bad for being out less than 3 years, releasing a new device per year all on one carrier.
    04-30-10 02:21 PM
    Yeah well iPhone is tops in the US. Not bad for being out less than 3 years, releasing a new device per year all on one carrier.

Very true but what did his anecdote have to do with the topic at all either way? Thats a showing of true fanboyism to have to plaster that story all over. As you said, no Apple people came here to plaster its #! in the US status.
    04-30-10 02:37 PM
    Very true but what did his anecdote have to do with the topic at all either way? Thats a showing of true fanboyism to have to plaster that story all over. As you said, no Apple people came here to plaster its #! in the US status.
    Yeah I know. That was the basis for their argument before. Anything RIM apologists can do to make themselves feel better or make blackberry seem better they will do. They can hang their hat on battery life and buy one get one free all they like LOL.
    04-30-10 02:42 PM
    LOL, it's the Apple Defense Brigade to the rescue...
    04-30-10 03:22 PM
    LOL, it's the Apple Defense Brigade to the rescue...
    Funny, since last time I checked this WAS the iphone section of the forum. Shocker people here like their iphones huh?

The RIM story link was totally off topic and has nothing to do with anything other than cheerlead RIM.

AT&T's network is larger than T-Mobile's so of course it'll be more expensive. Although, I have used both of their 3G networks and have found T-Mobile's to be a tad bit slower but more stable.

To be honest, I would pick T-Mobile any day over AT&T (I have great coverage with all 4 major carriers here.). If you have service with T-Mobile, everything seems better than AT&T (unless you have an iPhone).
    I mean opinions on what carrier to use is fine but its still nearly the same price. $10 cheaper because Tmo unlimited texting is $10 cheaper (instead of $20 on ATT and VZW), but smartphone data is the same $30 and the plan is the same $40.

OP is trying to compare Sprint who gives the farm away because they have been the only carrier with 10 quarters or what not of straight losses of customers. So they HAVE to give the farm away for little money unlike the other 3 carriers.

How this got into a Tmo debate no one knows why.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-30-10 at 06:09 PM.
    04-30-10 06:06 PM
    Funny, since last time I checked this WAS the iphone section of the forum. Shocker people here like their iphones huh?

The RIM story link was totally off topic and has nothing to do with anything other than cheerlead RIM.

I mean opinions on what carrier to use is fine but its still nearly the same price. $10 cheaper because Tmo unlimited texting is $10 cheaper (instead of $20 on ATT and VZW), but smartphone data is the same $30 and the plan is the same $40.
    I posted the link to show that RIM sells a lot of phones because they are more affordable and on more carriers. It's not cheerleading.

How much TMO charges for text is irrelevant. Text messages have nothing to do with costs, it's just one more way of charging more. That's why everything on AT&T is more expensive.
    04-30-10 06:53 PM
    You just keep believing that all in your own head.
    04-30-10 07:21 PM
    I find that carriers in the us charge way to much for the data service on my blackberry i pay only $45 EC = 16 Us a month for unlimited data on prepaid phones from same carrier its only 12 EC a week or 4 Us dollars, and 500 minutes here plus unlimited text and data is 155 EC is $56 US, lol just saying, i'm gonna miss it here when i get back from this job.
    04-30-10 07:32 PM
    oh and P.S. the same price applies to all phone, BB, iPhone, etc.
    04-30-10 07:33 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD