...but I don't see how it's so bad.

I think it actually looks and works better than the Android Gmail app, which is kind of sad if you think about it (I had an EVO Shift before I got my 4S). Also, you can actually attach a photo to an email in the Gmail app, which you cannot do in the native email.

Can someone explain why using the native email program on the iPhone is supposed to be superior to the Gmail app?

Thanks,
    Heif
    11-30-11 08:37 PM
    Isn't that just a web link to the Gmail/google web site?

I use the native email/calendar/contacts but sync everything the my google accounts...

is the gmail app a different email program all together?
    12-01-11 03:16 PM
    Isn't that just a web link to the Gmail/google web site?*snip*
    That's what I had heard. I guess I'll have to download it and try it out for myself based on the OP

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~
    12-01-11 11:03 PM
    It doesn't seem to just be a web link, it looks pretty much like the Android version I had on my Shift except cleaner and snappier.

Heif
    12-01-11 11:34 PM
    Functionality wise, it is snappier than the Android version. You get the HTML email while
    being able to zoom yourself. Just weird that it can only get a badge notification and the
    same boring tri-tone sound. Not even banners. Also, no multiple account support. I think
    all of these things are things that will eventually be added on soon.
    12-02-11 12:57 PM
    Functionality wise, it is snappier than the Android version. You get the HTML email while
    being able to zoom yourself. Just weird that it can only get a badge notification and the
    same boring tri-tone sound. Not even banners. Also, no multiple account support. I think
    all of these things are things that will eventually be added on soon.
    Yeah, I don't care about any of those things. As a rule, I rarely use sound notifications for my email; I have three email addresses and they all bounce to my one gmail account; and a badge notification is what I was used to with Android so no biggie there for me. So for me, this app is great. I also agree that since most people want the things you mention, it will probably be added on at some point. I just find it pathetic and sad that the *iPhone* version seems to work faster and just looked better than the *Android* version. That kind of exemplifies why people are having issues and leaving Android for Apple :/

I would totally not mind using the native iPhone email program, but not being able to attach stuff is a real killer for me because that's something I use all the time.

Heif
    12-02-11 07:51 PM
    the new official gmail app is an actual gmail app. the older google mail app before was only a quick link to the google website.

i actually like the gmail app. it works pretty good for me. took them too long tho
    12-03-11 12:35 PM
    So in the App store, which app is it? I did a quick search for gmail in the App store and the first one that shows up is "Gmail v 1.0.2" that was updated on November 10, 2011.

I also see a google Apps called iMailG?

which programs/app are you all talking about?
    12-04-11 09:19 PM
    The app is Gmail by Google. It's the first app that comes up when I search for gmail.
    12-04-11 09:36 PM
    cool thank Heif... downloaded it and it seems to work ok.. What's the main difference between this app and the native email? i have my gmail set up as an exchange, so just what are the differences?
    12-04-11 09:39 PM
    I attach a lot of photos to my emails, and the native app doesn't do it while you are in an email, which is seriously annoying. You can do it in the gmail app. You can't have a signature in the gmail app, though It also seemed like the gmail app pushed email for me fastee, but that might have just been my own stupidity

I came from Android and was used to the gmail app there for my email, so another thing I like is the familiarity of it.

Heif
    12-04-11 10:28 PM
    Thanks for that information.
    12-05-11 09:02 AM
    its the gmail app by google. not the igmail app.

i honestly never used gmail as a client on the native app because its for personal stuff. i use my native app with my att mail that i use for work and school.
    12-05-11 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD