Unless it's something actually cooked up by Apple to force users to upgrade to their next OS.
    Perhaps they're making a new OS that will not be so easily jailbreakable and will prevent people from loading apps onto it illegally.
    Maybe it's just a clever scheme.
    After all they make most of their money by constricting users.
    As the article says they told Apple it will happen months ago yet they don't do anything about it? Bull... and I'm pretty sure hacking, in any form, is illegal.
    So openly admitting you will hack will land them in jail if a single person gets their phone hacked.
    I'm not saying there isn't a vulnerability but perhaps its one that Apple brought upon.
    07-30-09 11:55 PM
    Why would Apple scare away their own customers when they only own 10% of the market share?
    07-31-09 01:05 AM
    They wouldn't, i wrote that they might be doing it to force people to upgrade their OS to the new one which ... blah blah blah just read the post i'm not retyping.
    07-31-09 01:31 AM
    it wouldn't surprise me if Apple did. They are VERY protective about their products.
    08-03-09 06:09 PM
    Unless it's something actually cooked up by Apple to force users to upgrade to their next OS.
    Perhaps they're making a new OS that will not be so easily jailbreakable and will prevent people from loading apps onto it illegally.
    Maybe it's just a clever scheme.
    After all they make most of their money by constricting users.
    As the article says they told Apple it will happen months ago yet they don't do anything about it? Bull... and I'm pretty sure hacking, in any form, is illegal.
    So openly admitting you will hack will land them in jail if a single person gets their phone hacked.
    I'm not saying there isn't a vulnerability but perhaps its one that Apple brought upon.
    That was shown to Apple as soon as it was found out and was shown again at Defcon 17 in Las Vegas not so long ago. Ethical hacking and ethical disclosure of flaws and exploits is perfectly legal...

As for Apple not doing anything about it for months- I've no idea. I'll re-edit this post later when I'm home and include a few links.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 05:48 AM
    I don't think so... 3.0.1 would have stopped Pwn4g3 is that was the case.

I still have 3.0... this "hack" is no real hack IMO. It's easier to hit the lotto than to get hacked this way.
    08-11-09 10:27 AM
    Hmmm, a programming error or a carefully programmed scare job that they don't have control over. Both seem plausible... Trust me, there's many more security holes in the iPhone, just wait. Just because nobody has tried to break into your house doesn't mean its impenetrable.

I still have 3.0... this "hack" is no real hack IMO. It's easier to hit the lotto than to get hacked this way.
    That's the kind of attitude that allows viruses to thrive. Look at how one new idea or app will spark a dozen more similar ones here on CB. Hackers are the same way. Now that the exploit is known, people will figure out ways to use it. The beautiful part of this vulnerability is the ability to direct it where you want, via phone #.

The H1N1 flu started with just one town and a few sick people. Now its a global threat...
    08-11-09 10:37 AM
    Hmmm, a programming error or a carefully programmed scare job that they don't have control over. Both seem plausible... Trust me, there's many more security holes in the iPhone, just wait. Just because nobody has tried to break into your house doesn't mean its impenetrable.

That's the kind of attitude that allows viruses to thrive. Look at how one new idea or app will spark a dozen more similar ones here on CB. Hackers are the same way. Now that the exploit is known, people will figure out ways to use it. The beautiful part of this vulnerability is the ability to direct it where you want, via phone #.

The H1N1 flu started with just one town and a few sick people. Now its a global threat...
    No one has any attitude. Have you actually read about this "hole" and the extreme steps it takes to get the phone taken over? 512 texts messages, the user cant delete ONE, etc etc. There's a whole laundry list of things that must come together to get into just one phone.

Just as in your example, are you dumb enough to LET someone break into your house? Same here, just because they can show off the hole in a controlled setting with the phone on a table doesnt mean any user is dumb enough to not stop this from happening when they see weird messages and such. You totally negate the human interaction factor and instead are relying on more of a "lab" test where the phone was allowed to be hacked with no user interaction.

so the odds really are better of winning the lotto.

If there are SO many security holes in the iphone, how come its been out over 2 years with tens of millions of units out there and no malware as of yet or mass public hacking incidents? I dont think you quite know what youre saying, or youre just pretending to look like you know...
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-12-09 at 10:54 PM.
    08-12-09 10:50 PM
    it wouldn't surprise me if Apple did. They are VERY protective about their products.
    That translates into incompatible with the majority of devices. I love Apple. and are a proud owner.
    08-12-09 10:58 PM
    No one has any attitude. Have you actually read about this "hole" and the extreme steps it takes to get the phone taken over? 512 texts messages, the user cant delete ONE, etc etc. There's a whole laundry list of things that must come together to get into just one phone.
    Have you read about it? From what I've seen, the user won't see the incoming SMS messages. The guys exposing the hole added one with one visible character as part of their demo to show the vulnerability. What's it take to send the right sms blast? There's an app for that... or there will be.
    08-13-09 01:48 AM
    I don't think it's a scheme, Apple is just not perfect.
    And for the jailbreak thing, they are smart but the dev team will always hack them, just a matter of time.
    08-13-09 04:31 AM
    apple's arrogant...who knows
    08-27-09 01:48 AM
    it was documented that a hacker discovered the hole and reported it during the conference like stated. and why would apple do this? the hack requires you use a jailbroken phone to attack another phone and install software on it to retrieve small bits, thats all you cant crash the victim's device. apple would have no reason to use this and you can still unlock 3.0.1 with redsnow
    08-27-09 02:09 AM
    iPhones is still pretty much vulnerable.
    08-27-09 02:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD