We’ve been hearing reports that Skype is debuting a mobile video chat service and D-Day has arrived. The company is launching a brand new version of its iPhone app that includes the ability to turn on video in any Skype chat.

The beauty of the app is that it brings free video calling to iPhone 3G devices, iPad and iPod Touch, all of which couldn’t run Apple’s video calling feature Facetime (the feature only works with iPhone 4 devices and Mac computers). Of course, iPad owners won’t be able to initiate a video call, but these users can receive any video chats from contacts.

Skype also says that the app allows users to video chat over both 3G and WiFi networks, allowing users to access the feature across a variety of connections. Skype’s iPhone app, which was one of the top five free iPhone apps in 2010, allows users to simply turn on the video feature to activate video chat. iPhone 4 users have the ability to use either the front facing camera or the back camera.

The new version of the iPhone app is compatible with the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and 4th generation iPod touch with i0S 4.0 or above. Users can receive video chat on the 3rd generation iPod touch and iPad. Calls can also be made between devices using the new Skype for iPhone app and desktops including Skype for Windows, Skype for Mac, Skype for Linux and ASUS Videophone.

Source
    12-30-10 01:32 AM
    Awesome. Love the fact that its over 3G and wifi. This will serve many iPhone users, and is a definite selling point for the device (as if they needed any more lol).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 02:46 AM
    Yea just saw this myself and was about to post it. It's such a coincidence because I was talking to a friend the other day via skype chat from my phone, and she was like hey lets get on video chat. I replied i can't I'm on m iPhone wish i could though, and walla so this will definitely be put to use today.
    12-30-10 06:31 AM

Skype Brings Video Calling to iPhones

Share the Moments that Matter Most over 3G and WiFi

30 DECEMBER, 2010 – Luxembourg – Skype today announced the new version of its iPhone application that brings video calling to millions of mobile users around the globe over both 3G and WiFi networks. Available to download from the Apple App Store today, the new Skype for iPhone App allows iPhone , iPad and iPod touch owners to make and/or receive free* Skype video calls for the first time. Users can now see their family, friends and colleagues around the world while talking to them. With approximately 25 million concurrent users logged into Skype at any given time**, the new Skype for iPhone makes it easier than ever to share moments wherever you are.

Video calling significantly enhances the user experience of Skype for iPhone, which is one of the top five free iPhone apps in 2010 according to Apple. Now, users can make and receive free Skype-to-Skype calls, call mobiles and landlines around the world at very low rates, and now share more moments together with video on Skype for iPhone.

"With video calling representing approximately 40% of all Skype-to-Skype minutes for the first six months of 2010, our users have been eager to get Skype video calling on their mobile phones," said Neil Stevens, general manager of Skype's consumer business. "By bringing video to mainstream users at their home or work via their desktops, on the go with their mobiles, or into their living room via their TV, Skype has made it possible for millions of people to share video moments wherever they are."

Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-30-10 at 08:27 AM.
    crackvegas78 likes this.
    12-30-10 08:22 AM
    Next year will be interesting... if there isn't an update like this for Android by the time my contract ends in August, and the iPhone shows on Verizon, I'll definitely think about jumping ships again. Then again, I haven't messed with yahoo messenger's video chat feature. I, however, don't have a front-facing camera on my phone
    12-30-10 08:58 AM
    Tested it today on my 3GS with a friend in on a mac. I did it over 3G since that is what I wanted to test and I have to say that I am impressed with how smooth the call was
    lssanjose likes this.
    12-30-10 01:20 PM
    It's pretty solid on 3G, not quite up to FaceTime standards but very very close.
    12-30-10 04:40 PM
    thanks for the update
    12-30-10 11:57 PM
    This is one of the reasons why my Torch will be the last BB I have. It's a disgrace that Verizon has locked up BB Skype use.

12-31-10 03:45 AM
    This is one of the reasons why my Torch will be the last BB I have. It's a disgrace that Verizon has locked up BB Skype use.

In the Blackberry App World? How do you know this? I'm sure Skype will do updates accordingly to BB App World and Google's Marketplace, may take some time <cough> Netflix, but I'd have to assume it's on its way.
    12-31-10 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD